Avenue Theater, San Francisco

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Joe Thompson

Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Did anyone else attend Friday night silents accompanied by Bob Vaughn on the Mighty Wurlitzer at San Francisco's Avenue Theater?

http://kalw.org/post/portolas-avenue-theater-may-become-neighborhood-anchor-once-again#stream/0
Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)
http://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/

dalefullerfan2014

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 12:59 pm

I saw many silents there in the early 1980's and possibly before(maybe in the late seventies?) Lot's of MGM films some of which were Nitrate prints. There was some talk that the main projectionist Rick Marshal(since deceased) was the Zodiac killer. There's still some talk online about him. The last time I saw him was in the early 1990's when he was working at The Stanford. He's depicted(along with Vaughn) in the Robert Graysmith book and subsequent film.
Randy
PS,
Sometimes on Sat. early sound films would be played("Check & Double Check", "King of Jazz","Hello Everybody",etc.)

salus

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 3:56 pm

I remember reading on the archives on zodiackiller.com that even Vaughn was considered a suspect by some.

dalefullerfan2014

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 7:08 pm

It's true. He went from being a suspect to being a potential victim. Robert Graysmith who wrote the definitive book on the Zodiac(Jake Gyllenhaal plays Graysmith in the movie version of his book), believes that he was somehow involved in the murders possibly as an accomplice to Arthur Leigh Allen(deceased) who Graysmith believes to be the killer.
Randy

Paul Penna

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 10:01 pm

Joe Thompson wrote:Did anyone else attend Friday night silents accompanied by Bob Vaughn on the Mighty Wurlitzer at San Francisco's Avenue Theater?

Several times back in the late-70s. Once to a gorgeous Technicolor print of The Viking. His electrifying performance for The Mark of Zorro had the audience whipped up into such a frenzy at the climax that at the closing fade-out the entire sold-out house leapt as one to its collective feet cheering. That remains for me the single most thrilling group movie experience I've ever had.

Joe Thompson

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 10:46 pm

Paul Penna wrote:His electrifying performance for The Mark of Zorro had the audience whipped up into such a frenzy at the climax that at the closing fade-out the entire sold-out house leapt as one to its collective feet cheering. That remains for me the single most thrilling group movie experience I've ever had.

I think I was at the same showing. Does anyone know if there are any recordings of Bob Vaughn accompanying a movie?

As to the Zodiac stuff, when I went to Drivers' Ed one summer at Lowell we were convinced that the teacher matched the composite drawing.
Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)
http://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/

Return to Silent News