Avenue Theater, San Francisco

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

Joe Thompson

  • Posts: 231
  • Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Did anyone else attend Friday night silents accompanied by Bob Vaughn on the Mighty Wurlitzer at San Francisco's Avenue Theater?

http://kalw.org/post/portolas-avenue-theater-may-become-neighborhood-anchor-once-again#stream/0
Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)
http://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/
Offline

dalefullerfan2014

  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 12:59 pm

I saw many silents there in the early 1980's and possibly before(maybe in the late seventies?) Lot's of MGM films some of which were Nitrate prints. There was some talk that the main projectionist Rick Marshal(since deceased) was the Zodiac killer. There's still some talk online about him. The last time I saw him was in the early 1990's when he was working at The Stanford. He's depicted(along with Vaughn) in the Robert Graysmith book and subsequent film.
Randy
PS,
Sometimes on Sat. early sound films would be played("Check & Double Check", "King of Jazz","Hello Everybody",etc.)
Offline

salus

  • Posts: 531
  • Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 3:56 pm

I remember reading on the archives on zodiackiller.com that even Vaughn was considered a suspect by some.
Offline

dalefullerfan2014

  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 7:08 pm

It's true. He went from being a suspect to being a potential victim. Robert Graysmith who wrote the definitive book on the Zodiac(Jake Gyllenhaal plays Graysmith in the movie version of his book), believes that he was somehow involved in the murders possibly as an accomplice to Arthur Leigh Allen(deceased) who Graysmith believes to be the killer.
Randy
Offline

Paul Penna

  • Posts: 484
  • Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:02 am

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 10:01 pm

Joe Thompson wrote:Did anyone else attend Friday night silents accompanied by Bob Vaughn on the Mighty Wurlitzer at San Francisco's Avenue Theater?


Several times back in the late-70s. Once to a gorgeous Technicolor print of The Viking. His electrifying performance for The Mark of Zorro had the audience whipped up into such a frenzy at the climax that at the closing fade-out the entire sold-out house leapt as one to its collective feet cheering. That remains for me the single most thrilling group movie experience I've ever had.
Offline
User avatar

Joe Thompson

  • Posts: 231
  • Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 10:46 pm

Paul Penna wrote:His electrifying performance for The Mark of Zorro had the audience whipped up into such a frenzy at the climax that at the closing fade-out the entire sold-out house leapt as one to its collective feet cheering. That remains for me the single most thrilling group movie experience I've ever had.


I think I was at the same showing. Does anyone know if there are any recordings of Bob Vaughn accompanying a movie?

As to the Zodiac stuff, when I went to Drivers' Ed one summer at Lowell we were convinced that the teacher matched the composite drawing.
Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)
http://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/
Offline
User avatar

azjazzman

  • Posts: 770
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:04 pm

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:23 am

Joe Thompson wrote:
Paul Penna wrote:His electrifying performance for The Mark of Zorro had the audience whipped up into such a frenzy at the climax that at the closing fade-out the entire sold-out house leapt as one to its collective feet cheering. That remains for me the single most thrilling group movie experience I've ever had.


I think I was at the same showing. Does anyone know if there are any recordings of Bob Vaughn accompanying a movie?


Christopher Snowden's VHS/DVD label "Unknown Video" used Bob Vaughn as an accompanist on a number of titles. I also think the Theater Organ Society had recordings done of some of Bob's performances.
Offline
User avatar

Rick Lanham

  • Posts: 1744
  • Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:16 pm
  • Location: Gainesville, FL

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 6:59 am

azjazzman wrote:
Joe Thompson wrote:
Paul Penna wrote:His electrifying performance for The Mark of Zorro had the audience whipped up into such a frenzy at the climax that at the closing fade-out the entire sold-out house leapt as one to its collective feet cheering. That remains for me the single most thrilling group movie experience I've ever had.


I think I was at the same showing. Does anyone know if there are any recordings of Bob Vaughn accompanying a movie?


Christopher Snowden's VHS/DVD label "Unknown Video" used Bob Vaughn as an accompanist on a number of titles. I also think the Theater Organ Society had recordings done of some of Bob's performances.


Bob Vaughn's name comes up in the write-ups for the following Unknown Video DVDs.
There might be others:

Broken Hearts Of Broadway
Memories Of The Silent Stars
The Primitive Lover
Sex
The Swan (1925)
Wagon Tracks (1919)


Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.
Offline
User avatar

azjazzman

  • Posts: 770
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:04 pm

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:
Bob Vaughn's name comes up in the write-ups for the following Unknown Video DVDs.
There might be others:

Broken Hearts Of Broadway
Memories Of The Silent Stars
The Primitive Lover
Sex
The Swan (1925)
Wagon Tracks (1919)


Rick


Going from memory here, but I think the Unknown Video releases of the two Mabel Normand features, "Mickey" and "Suzannah" also had scores by Bob Vaughn.

Somewhere around here I have some old flyers from the Avenue Theater and a nice Obit/Tribute to Bob Vaughn by the ATOS. If I can find them, I'll scan and post here.
Offline
User avatar

Joe Thompson

  • Posts: 231
  • Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 8:48 pm

Thank you for the tips about Unknown Video. I will take a look.
Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)
http://bigvriotsquad.blogspot.com/
Offline

dalefullerfan2014

  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 9:46 pm

From what I remember the prints on Friday nights were all 35mm with some of the MGM prints being on Nitrate stock. For me the score that stands out is the one Robert provided for "Scarmouche(1923). I also remember "The Navigator","Twelve Miles Out"1927,"The Flying Fleet"1928,"Desert Nights",1929 and"Showboat" 1929. It was a mix on Sat. nights with the early sound films with a good portion being 16mm.
Randy
Offline
User avatar

silentfilm

Moderator

  • Posts: 8891
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:31 pm
  • Location: Dallas, TX USA

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 11:25 am

Here is an on-line interview with Bob Vaughn, shortly before he died.

And here is a DVD of What No Man Knows (1921) with a music score by Robert Vaughn. It was recorded at the Cinesation Film Festival.
Offline
User avatar

greta de groat

  • Posts: 1929
  • Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:06 am
  • Location: California

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostFri Mar 24, 2017 5:16 pm

I grew up in an East Bay suburb from which The Avenue Photoplay Theater was tantalizingly out of reach. For years I read the schedules in the newspaper and despaired that I'd ever get to see those films. Probably seen most of them by now, some are sitting on my shelf. Never would have believed It.

Greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat
Offline

wich2

  • Posts: 1166
  • Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:11 am

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:00 am

dalefullerfan2014 wrote:(Bob Vaughn) went from being a suspect to being a potential victim ... Robert Graysmith ... believes that he was somehow involved in the murders possibly as an accomplice to Arthur Leigh Allen


Yow.

If that true, it sure puts the, :but he played neat music for fun movies" factor in the shade...
Offline

wich2

  • Posts: 1166
  • Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:11 am

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 8:01 am

wich2 wrote:
dalefullerfan2014 wrote:(Bob Vaughn) went from being a suspect to being a potential victim ... Robert Graysmith ... believes that he was somehow involved in the murders possibly as an accomplice to Arthur Leigh Allen


Yow.

If that's true, it sure puts the, "but he played neat music for fun movies!" factor in the shade...
Offline

dalefullerfan2014

  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 11:34 am

Graysmith doesn't think Robert Vaughn was involved in the Zodiac murders, but that Rick Marshall was.
Randy
Offline

dalefullerfan2014

  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 11:43 am

Somehow in one of my posts I forgot to include Rick Marshall's name as a possible accomplice to Arthur Lee Allen.Graysmith
doesn't think Bob Vaughn knew anything about the murders. If you google Rick Marshall zodiac suspect you can read up more on Marshall.
Thanks,
Randy
Offline

dalefullerfan2014

  • Posts: 41
  • Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 4:44 am

From what I can gather the police investigated Vaughn as a possible suspect but didn't see anything there.
Randy
PS,
I know that at one point the movie of Robert Graysmith's book was going to include scenes inside the Avenue but it never happened. Charles Fleischer(the voice of Roger Rabbit in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit") portrays Vaughn in the film.
Offline

Paul Penna

  • Posts: 484
  • Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:02 am

Re: Avenue Theater, San Francisco

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 9:09 am

wich2 wrote:
wich2 wrote:
dalefullerfan2014 wrote:(Bob Vaughn) went from being a suspect to being a potential victim ... Robert Graysmith ... believes that he was somehow involved in the murders possibly as an accomplice to Arthur Leigh Allen


Yow.

If that's true, it sure puts the, "but he played neat music for fun movies!" factor in the shade...


It isn't true, though; the apparent implication in that post is due to sloppy writing: that last "he" wasn't referring Bob Vaughn.

Return to Silent News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests