Criterion ~ The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog Blu-ray

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Mark Zimmer

Re: Criterion ~ The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog Blu-ra

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Not likely. They're kind of tech-illiterate. They fought against releasing anamorphic-enhanced DVDs for years because everyone had 4:3 sets.

BenModel

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 5:01 pm

This is the frame rate all the restorations were done at. I saw DOWNHILL in a theatre with a live score, and it was definitely being shown in a scan that had been rendered at 20 fps.

The promotional PDF "The Hitchcock 9" that was distributed in 2013 to potential venues lists these running speeds for the following films:
The Pleasure Garden - 20 fps
The Lodger - 20 fps
Downhill - 20 fps
Easy Virtue - 21 fps

...and that they were "restored by the BFI in association with ITV Studios Global Entertainment and Park Circus Films".

The remaining 5 titles do not indicate a speed but are listed as "restored by the BFI National Archive in association with STUDIOCANAL)". I haven't seen the others, and so am unsure as to whether similar frame rates were used for the DCPs on those.

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com and get an exclusive link to watch a rare comedy short
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter and on Instagram
Silent Film Music Podcast available on iTunes

Rodney

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 11:06 pm

I'd be willing to bet that Blackmail was run at 24 fps in the Hitchcock 9 tour. It was filmed with sound-equipped theaters in mind (though he ended up reshooting more of it than was intended).
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

WaverBoy

PostMon Jul 17, 2017 11:06 pm

20fps seems pretty slow for 1927 silents, but in any case, as they're not 24fps, they should be 1080i, not 1080p. If they were 1080i, we wouldn't have every fifth frame duplicated, resulting in jerky-motion.

Saint-Just

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 4:55 pm

:?:
Last edited by Saint-Just on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilentsPlease

PostTue Jul 25, 2017 10:40 am

dede wrote:I just posted this on the Criterion website (on the Lodger article). Have any of their other silent discs had the same problem? Maybe it's a fault they'll correct?

Criterion only used the source given to them by BFI, so you probably should contact BFI. Sometimes Criterion does use 1080i, such as for the "People on Sunday" Blu-ray, but only when the source is that way.

As to the dreaded momentary freeze frame caused by duplicated frames when 1080p is used, sometimes I notice it and sometimes I don't. It may also have something to do with your monitor's refresh rate. A refresh rate of 60 Hz, which is what most TVs use, might make the momentary freezes more noticeable than a refresh rate of 24 Hz.

Killer Meteor

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 3:05 pm

1080p can be done right - http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/how-do-you-s ... m-potemkin

However, as Kino proved with Nosferatu, it can be messed up.

HZ is interesting.

WaverBoy

PostWed Jul 26, 2017 6:41 pm

Killer Meteor wrote:1080p can be done right - http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/how-do-you-s ... m-potemkin" target="_blank

However, as Kino proved with Nosferatu, it can be messed up.

HZ is interesting.

Except that article is incorrect; it IS noticeable in motion. Exhibit A: the subject of this thread, mastered by the publisher of the article you linked. I notice it every time there's a Blu-ray with duplicated frames, and I ain't the only one.. The only way around it is to use 1080i for speeds other than 24fps.
Previous

Return to Silent News