The quality of repertory showings and home theaters

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

oldposterho

Re: The quality of repertory showings and home theaters

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 12:49 pm

Of course, that's what makes N-ville so nice. We can blab on about things that almost nobody in our circle gives a whit about.

I keep threatening to head on down to the SF film festival (not small town Ohio hotel prices though...) and someday I hope to. Happily, I'm not much of a social creature, so until then, it's watching by myself and boring you all to tears.

Rodney

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 7:56 am

Battra92 wrote:I've not had the pleasure of seeing a silent comedy live with others who love them....

Our score for Safety Last was commissioned for a performance at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival. The theater was packed, either sold out or close to it. I told the other players: "Enjoy this. We will never have another performance of this score that will be this much fun." There were moments when the audience was laughing so hard, or screaming so loud, that we could not hear each other playing. We were laughing too: not at the film, which we were doing our best to ignore so that we wouldn't get lost on the page, but because the audience was SO into that film, and they were enjoying not just the film and the music and the architecture, but the presence of a large, raucous, like-minded audience.

Home theaters can be very nice, and are often the only option, but you will never get that experience at a home theater.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 9:52 am

For some but I don't really have the luxury of taking a few days off of work, leaving my kid with family and heading across the country to watch some movies.

If you're in the capital region of New York, you're not that far from Capitolfest— Albany to Rome is under two hours.

If you have a kid... I have no idea if the kid is 3 or 16, but there will probably be a couple of films at Capitolfest (the schedule is not up yet) that could appeal to a child of 8 or 10 and up. The cost of driving in for a couple of showings would really be pretty modest.

I don't presume to tell you where you can or should spend your time and money— my point is, as much of a niche enthusiasm as it is, live screenings with good musical accompaniment happen all over this country, all the time.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

bigshot

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 10:52 am

If any of you ever gets to Los Angeles and have a weekend night free, come by and see a movie with me and my friends. We have a great time.

maliejandra

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 11:29 am

bigshot wrote:I'm always insulted when I go to the movies and they play one of those nagging Shhhh! trailers up front. I know to be quiet. People who babble through movies are going to do it even with the Shhh! trailer.

It may feel insulting but I'd bet there would be a lot more cell phone sounds going off if they DIDN'T run that trailer.

I don't have many local movie friends to watch movies with in my home, so going out to the theater is a special event. The Ohio Theater shows some great oldies during the summer and I make a point to go to a few each year because they get a massive turnout. The Wexner Center is another option, and they usually don't get big crowds but it is still fun to see movies there and hear the reactions (I saw It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World there with a friend and we had a great time.), even if it is just talk after the movie is over.

Mike, I agree that there is no place better to see old movies screened than at a movie convention with an audience who loves the movies and the stars as much as you do.

wich2

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Rodney wrote:Home theaters can be very nice, and are often the only option, but you will never get that experience at a home theater.

It is what vintage films were designed for; in some cases, tailor-cut for.

-Craig

mwalls

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 9:12 pm

I have seen movies at Cinevent, MANC and a beloved favorite, the MonsterBash around Pittsburgh. All of the crowds were very respectful and it was a really enjoyable experience sharing that time with the audience. I remember my trip to Cinevent I saw Woman of the World for the first time and became a Pola Negri fan. Would I have been so fascinated had I just watched it in my home theater? Maybe. Probably not. And I have seen screenings of silent films with live music in theaters where the audience was wonderful, and again it was a fun experience. I have also been to a screening of Metropolis where a small group around me thought it was a comedy, and the same thing at a Lon Chaney film. I can't think of any Chaney moments that I would consider comedic in that film. And honestly it kind of ruined the experience. The Metropolis screening was over two years ago and I thought of it right away when I saw this thread.

So, the conventions I have been to have been a great experience, and I have learned certain theaters to go to and certain ones to avoid. I have a nice home theater but that can't beat a silent film in a theater with live music and receptive audience.

Matthew

Battra92

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 9:20 am

Mike Gebert wrote:
For some but I don't really have the luxury of taking a few days off of work, leaving my kid with family and heading across the country to watch some movies.

If you're in the capital region of New York, you're not that far from Capitolfest— Albany to Rome is under two hours.

I don't actually live in the Capitol Region any more. I just never changed it. I'm in Massachusetts now so a little over three hours from Rome. Not the ends of the earth but still.

If you have a kid... I have no idea if the kid is 3 or 16, but there will probably be a couple of films at Capitolfest (the schedule is not up yet) that could appeal to a child of 8 or 10 and up. The cost of driving in for a couple of showings would really be pretty modest.

She's 2 and not quite old enough for movie theaters. I would never want to ruin other people's experience by bringing a kid to a theater.

I'm not trying to poo-poo your suggestion, though. I've been to live showings at Proctors in Schenectady (great old theater from the era of silents) which I've enjoyed. I'm just not at a point in my life where it's practical so I just enjoy my home theater as much as possible.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 9:44 am

Yeah, two's not the age for going to movies, classic or otherwise. But it will come, and don't be afraid to try it. My kids loved screenings of everything from The Mark of Zorro to Modern Times over the years. Even the recently the 16-year-old, too cool for that most of the time, wanted to watch The Gold Rush with me. It's great.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

syd

PostFri Mar 02, 2018 1:04 pm

wich2 - "Home theaters can be very nice, and are often the only option, but you will never get that experience at a home theater."

"It is what vintage films were designed for; in some cases, tailor-cut for."

-Craig

That is especially true for movies made during the time television
had started coming into the American home. Hollywood felt threatened
so wide screen formats became standardized. Any movie with the word
big in the title or promised outdoor adventures were designed for the
big screen.

I had a chance to catch some of The Big Country on OTA tv earlier this year.
I had to turn it off after the scene where Burl Ives crashes a party.
Burl Ives and the menace he projected to the party guests was just too
big for my tv screen.

bigshot

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 1:01 pm

How The West Was Won looks spectacular on my home projection system.

Marr&Colton

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Back in the 1970s and 80s when I was in the 16mm & 35mm film hobby, I used to sell films to Richard Swarz.
I always wondered what the Thalia was like.

He sure died young---what happened?

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 8:56 pm

His NY Times obit says a heart attack, according to his sister.

syd

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 pm

bigshot wrote: "How The West Was Won looks spectacular on my home projection system."

Digital projection would make the Cinerama format more easier to achieve.
Interlocking 3 projectors with the proper 1/3 panel files, all three would stay
in sync with an app. Film projectionists who have done Cinerama projection
(with film, of course) deserve praise for pulling off such a complex task.

I wonder if Cinerama would make a comeback in a digital format since apps
can be used to interlock digital cameras as well? One big advantage is no
longer having to worry about film prints having timing issues and not matching
across the screen. One of the few drawbacks I see in a comeback of Cinerama is
that film chain owners will say Imax is enough.
Previous

Return to Silent News