Please ID this three fragments of the same film.

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Silencebound

Please ID this three fragments of the same film.

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 12:18 am

I have unearthed this three lost 35mm fragments from Austria with some intertitles written in beautifully-fonted German, earlier last year. It have opening scenes from the beginning of the short film with the main comedian actor which is unknown to me. Unfortunately, the in-middle scene cuts is still missing which was probably cutted off from the main roll aimed for toy projectors ( ? ). Maybe two or three of it that I have noticed the stencil-marked frame numbers ranged from '10' to '103' is visible on the 35mm celluloid toward to German Ending text which is survived of the final fragment roll. The numerical-marked scene cuts from '52' to '74' is missing, that's why. The exterior scene filmed probably came from America as it contains several English words there. Is it a lost film ?
Now, please kindly ID this 11 scanned frames to confirm what is the title of this wacko comedy and who is this comedian ?

Please click this URL https://www.facebook.com/Silencebound1/ and become a new member to get instant informations and resourced topics.

Tommie Hicks

Re: Please ID this three fragments of the same film.

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 10:35 am

The comedian is Jack Cooper and judging from the other people's attire this film is likely one of Cooper's Bray comedies from 1928. The man in the last scan on the right with the stogie is Bud Ross. I'm guessing the woman in the top scan is Vera Reynolds.

silentfilm

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Wow, beautiful quality!

Silencebound

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Tommie Hicks wrote:The comedian is Jack Cooper and judging from the other people's attire this film is likely one of Cooper's Bray comedies from 1928. The man in the last scan on the right with the stogie is Bud Ross. I'm guessing the woman in the top scan is Vera Reynolds.

Thanks, but let's see if Dr. Kiss might find some of this frame(s) for a title.
Please click this URL https://www.facebook.com/Silencebound1/ and become a new member to get instant informations and resourced topics.

Tommie Hicks

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 5:21 pm

Here are the candidates for the title:

FRESH AND A DEVIL – 09/01/1927
HIS TICKLISH PREDICAMENT – 10/01/1927
THE WAY OF ALL FISH - 12/01/1927
DAZE OF ’49 - 01/01/1928

Spiny Norman

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 7:11 pm

"You took plaster instead of flour!"

"Quick, quick, pack my things for me - I'm expecting a baby!"

'Fraid that that doesn't really narrow it down.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Darren Nemeth

PostMon Mar 05, 2018 12:31 am

Can you post pictures of the stenciled numbering?

Are they in sequence? Or random numbers?

Steve Massa

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 9:26 am

I've seen this short - it's BLACK AND BLUE EYES, a 5/30/1926 Blue Ribbon Comedy produced by Joe Rock. The woman is Alice Ardell, who is the nominal star of the short, but all the heavy comedy lifting is done by Jack Cooper. Don't recognize the black gentleman, but the dog is Buster, and the fellow handing Jack the boxes is Murray Rock, Joe's brother.

The plot has Jack finding a bootie and thinking that Alice is going to have a baby, and he leaves a big business meeting and races through all kinds of traffic to get back to her. Of course it turns out that she's not in the family way.

Ardell was promoted as the star of this series, but in each one she had a different comedy leading man like Cooper, Slim Summerville, Sid Smith, Chester Conklin, and even Joe Rock.

Silencebound

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Is that so, Steve ? Thank you as we'd love to see it but can't go thru there of that site where it has shown "Black and Blue Eyes" when charging us the fee for watching it and as well many other films. I want exact proof. Could anyone download and post URL address of this short film here ? :(

Steve Massa

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 8:35 pm

Not sure exactly what you're referring to. I saw BLACK AND BLUE EYES a few years ago in a 16mm print that a collector had.

Silencebound

PostWed Mar 14, 2018 12:10 am

Oh, yeah. Although no 35mm film print is existed anywhere but I have it on my hand with German intertitles. I will not scan it for my No. 30 film project for "L35NFF !", but other 35mm Nitrate film will do. Well, many thanks, Steve.

Return to Silent News