TCM July Listings

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

silentfilm

TCM July Listings

PostWed Apr 22, 2009 8:37 pm

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&oid=7/1/2009

5 Sunday
12:00 AM Mockery (1927)
A peasant saves a countess during the Russian Revolution. Cast: Lon Chaney, Barbara Bedford, Ricardo Cortez. Dir: Benjamin Christensen. BW-75 mins,

7 Tuesday
5:15 AM Grass (1925)
In this silent film, nomadic tribes make a perilous journey each year in search of fresh grasslands. Dir: Merian C. Cooper, Ernest Schoedsack. BW-71 mins, TV-PG

12 Sunday
12:00 AM First Auto, The (1927)
In this silent film, a horse-loving father clashes with his auto-loving son at the turn of the century. Cast: Charles Emmett Mack, Russell Simpson, Barney Oldfield. Dir: Roy Del Ruth. BW-77 mins, TV-G

19 Sunday
12:15 AM Broken Blossoms (1919)
In this silent film, an Asian man in London falls in love with an abused child. Cast: Lillian Gish, Richard Barthelmess, Donald Crisp. Dir: D.W. Griffith. BW-89 mins, TV-PG

20 Monday
8:00 PM Trip to the Moon, A (1902)
In this silent film, a group of scientists ride to the moon in a cannon shell. Cast: Georges Melies, Henri Delannoy, Bleuette Bernon. Dir: Georges Melies. BW-14 mins,

26 Sunday
12:15 AM Souls for Sale (1923)
In this silent film, a young woman turns Hollywood upside down in her search for stardom. Cast: Eleanor Boardman, Mae Busch, Barbara La Marr. Dir: Rupert Hughes. BW-90 mins, TV-G

radiotelefonia

PostWed Apr 22, 2009 8:49 pm

A very dissapointing and repetitive selection.

Let's hope that Filmoteca display something different instead.

silentfilm

PostWed Apr 22, 2009 9:29 pm

I am puzzled as to why you would feel this way. Both Mockery and The First Auto seem to be premieres. Souls for Sale has not been shown very much on TCM.

radiotelefonia

PostWed Apr 22, 2009 9:56 pm

SOULS FOR SALE has been shown a few times here and in European version of the channel. Not to mention that this film is already on DVD-R

THE FIRST AUTO has already been shown, as well as GRASS (I hate that music), BROKEN BLOSSOMS and the Melies short.

MOCKERY is probably the only premiere.

Compare these silents to the ones Filmoteca shows on the web for free. The Latin American version of TCM is such an insult to quality that repugnance is the best thing to say about it. (Have you captured the Rin-Tin-Tin films that they showed?)

I also think that the Latino images series for May is, mostly, a bad example to programming considering alternates to the repetitive films. And the choice of new films is totally wrong which means that they didn't rely on film historians to produce it.

Gagman 66

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 1:31 am

Bruce,

THE FIRST AUTO has been shown numerous times. But not in several years. At least they are grabing some rarely aired features, but I would rather have TIDE OF THE EMPIRE, THE VIKING, or NOAH'S ARK.

I thought SOULS FOR SALE was terrific, and Marcus Sjowell's scores is prehaps the best that the YFCC ever produced.

No debut for BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT, which I already knew. Hopefully, it will be running in the fall. I doubt if there is much chance of a August premier. Gilbert would have to be part of SUMMER UNDER THE STARS Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

THE MOCKERY apparently, isn't all that great, but at least it a premier. I have had a copy for a long time with no music, and have never watched it. Put off viewing ever since I heard this was forth-coming last Fall.

Here is my latest creation. This is a still of Harry Beaumont's FORBIDDEN HOURS (1928) that I colorized. However, the result this time looks much more like a painting than a Color photo.

Spring Time Of Love, Renee Adoree And Ramon Novarro From FORBIDDEN HOURS (1928)

silentfilm

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 8:14 am

Nobody has ever commented on The First Auto on alt.movies.silent or Nitrateville, so it must have shown on TCM a long time ago.

Gagman 66

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 10:39 am

Bruce,

:o Well, it hasn't been any longer since the last time TCM ran THE BIG PARADE, I'm pretty sure. I would say THE FIRST AUTO which is a Warner Brothers Silent with a Vitaphone score, last ran in I believe 2004? I have seen it at least three times on TCM, and I didn't have the channel until May of 1999.

I don't know why there are no reviews posted on other boards. I do know I recorded the picture last time that it was shown. Actually maybe the second to last time it was shown. I didn't have a DVD recorder yet. But I had a TV Tuner card and a DVD burner on my PC.

If I recall correctly, I think TCM last ran THE FIRST AUTO in the same month they showed LA BOHEME on Silent Sunday Nights. The only time I have ever seen LA BOHEME shown. What year was the last broadcast? Do you know?

Christopher Jacobs

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 11:41 am

Looks like a decent lineup for a summer month. I'm not sure if I've ever seen MOCKERY before, and I've managed to miss both seeing and recording SOULS FOR SALE every one of the very few times it's been shown.

I saw THE FIRST AUTO some years ago, and remember very little about it except that I was not particularly impressed by it (maybe why there is no alt.movies.silent discussion about it).

GRASS, BROKEN BLOSSOMS, and A TRIP TO THE MOON, of course, are all on DVD, although I prefer my 16mm color tinted MOMA print of BROKEN BLOSSOMS to any of the DVD editions.

I, too, would love to see THE VIKING again in all its campy Technicolor glory, and since it has a Vitaphone track, one would think it should be available to run. NOAH'S ARK has been on fairly recently, as I recorded it to DVD to upgrade the old VHS that I'd recorded years ago.

--Christopher Jacobs
http://www.und.edu/instruct/cjacobs
http://hpr1.com/film

Danny Burk

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 2:21 pm

I wouldn't expect much from MOCKERY; it's the weakest of all the MGM Chaneys IMO (even more so than WHERE EAST IS EAST). Even so, it's always good to see more Chaney, even weak efforts such as this. The print that I saw a long time ago was very brief (under an hour) but didn't seem to be missing anything.

Agreed, I wish THE VIKING would get another airing after all these years!

rudyfan

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 3:24 pm

Well, call me a glass half full person, I'm stil happy that TCM runs silents on a regular basis. Do I see all of them all of the time, no. But I am darned glad they are comitted to showing silent films and are working with our friends like Milestone and Flicker Alley showing their good work too.

No complaints here.

greta de groat

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Christopher Jacobs wrote:
I saw THE FIRST AUTO some years ago, and remember very little about it except that I was not particularly impressed by it (maybe why there is no alt.movies.silent discussion about it).

Now that's very odd, because i thought there were at least two mentions of it. One was about the "Bob" intertitle (i think Bob Birchard and i contributed comments), and the other was about Charles Emmett Mack, i think both about his death and about how homely he was. I just searched, too, and didn't see anything. Hmm, other old posts are there.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 3:34 pm

Yeah, I remember roughly the same things. The search in Google Groups is weird sometimes; when I reposted my Rex Ingram thing I could not find it for the life of me and finally had to go through month by month till I found it.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Keith Paynter

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 3:43 pm

No, YOU'RE The Phantom!

silentfilm

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 6:18 pm

OK, I found it. It screened in 2000. I had searched on "first auto" and "mack" (for Charles Emmett Mack) since just "first auto" had too many hits.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.movies.silent/browse_thread/thread/109d1f9138c42efc/5a510d3b8d102456?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=%22first+auto%22#5a510d3b8d102456

Harlett O'Dowd

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 6:35 pm

rudyfan wrote:Well, call me a glass half full person, I'm stil happy that TCM runs silents on a regular basis. Do I see all of them all of the time, no. But I am darned glad they are comitted to showing silent films and are working with our friends like Milestone and Flicker Alley showing their good work too.

No complaints here.

more to the point, not everyone has caught up with these titles - I would only consider Broken Blossoms to be eye-rollingly common. And TCM just re-ran Spring Fever and The Smart Set which eluded me (at least my inadequate taping capabilities) in the past. TCM is getting quite the workout at my house this year.

Actually I have way too many TCM tapings (and books) in my to-do pile that I doubt I will ever get to them all.

radiotelefonia

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 6:43 pm

Somebody could have ask them to play either BELOW THE LINE (1925) or FIND YOUR MAN (1924), two Rin-Tin-Tin films, instead of the most frequent titles.

At least I captured the broadcast from the web, which I announced at the time, while the rest of the people reading this probably ignored them.

Gagman 66

PostThu Apr 23, 2009 11:03 pm

:o You might recall, TCM aired a brand new version of BROKEN BLOSSOMS last year during the Asian Images Festival. The film was literally desecrated with one of the worst silent film scores ever. And TCM as the credits reveled actually commissioned the score, The print was really beautiful, much better than the Image DVD, but the music ruined it for me. I have never been a huge fan of the picture though.

I haven't found anyone yet who liked that score I'm sure this is what they will be running again in July. They used to show the Image release, which at least has a variation of the original 1919 score. I have no idea why TCM would pay for a completely different, and extremely bad music score. :? Especially, when there are so many other films that they could have added scores to instead? For that event, it would have been much better to lease the Thames Silents/Photoplay Productions version. Which probably did air on TCM back in the 90's?

milefilms

PostFri Apr 24, 2009 7:08 am

Christopher Jacobs wrote:
GRASS, BROKEN BLOSSOMS, and A TRIP TO THE MOON, of course, are all on DVD

Chris, it's all true, but I think TCM will be showing our Grass 2.0 which is from a high-def master and is tinted and toned. The score is also more dynamic than the DVD. Sadly, we haven't put this version out on DVD yet.

And yes, Donna's right -- TCM is a major reason Milestone, Flicker Alley and Kino can take risks on many silent films. I would never have done Big Stakes without TCM.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

Rodney

PostFri Apr 24, 2009 8:28 am

Gagman 66 wrote::o You might recall, TCM aired a brand new version of BROKEN BLOSSOMS last year during the Asian Images Festival. The film was literally desecrated with one of the worst silent film scores ever. And TCM as the credits reveled actually commissioned the score, The print was really beautiful, much better than the Image DVD, but the music ruined it for me. I have never been a huge fan of the picture though.

I haven't found anyone yet who liked that score I'm sure this is what they will be running again in July. They used to show the Image release, which at least has a variation of the original 1919 score. I have no idea why TCM would pay for a completely different, and extremely bad music score. :? Especially, when there are so many other films that they could have added scores to instead? For that event, it would have been much better to lease the Thames Silents/Photoplay Productions version. Which probably did air on TCM back in the 90's?

You already know the answers to your rhetorical questions, so I feel like a broken record, but here we go again. You yourself say that it's a new, really beautiful print. If the continuity or speed have changed, the old scores (including the Carl Davis one) won't fit it. To refit it, you'd need to go back to the musicians and renegotiate a new contract, so why not try something new? Musicians who are really good and have a strong track record are often doing more remunerative projects by now.

As for the quality, when you commission a score for a silent, you can't just ask three people to create a score and pick the best one. You have to commit, up front, to a score you haven't heard because it doesn't exist yet, based on previous work done by the group. And to keep a fresh stable of musicians working in the business, as the best ones move up in their careers, you have to try new people from time to time.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

greta de groat

PostFri Apr 24, 2009 9:39 am

Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

rudyfan

PostFri Apr 24, 2009 9:59 am

Gagman 66 wrote:I have no idea why TCM would pay for a completely different, and extremely bad music score. :? Especially, when there are so many other films that they could have added scores to instead? For that event, it would have been much better to lease the Thames Silents/Photoplay Productions version. Which probably did air on TCM back in the 90's?

TCM has been comitted to working with young composers, giving them a chance to get their name out there and also get another silent film scored. The program is on hiatus right now, as I understand.

Let's face the simple fact, all of this costs money. The digitizing/cleanup of the film print itself. Even if they do no restoration, the digitizing costs money. The score costs money, the recording costs money. TCM/Time Warner is affected, as we all are, by the present economy.

Leasing Photoplay Productions is wonderful, but this is also not a free enterprise. There may be other rights issues to the Photoplay titles you obsess over and over again. I'm sure if anything positive happens, we will know as both TCM and Photoplay will have a press release telling us so. (For the record, so do I obsess on Photoplay, I love their work and want to see, among other things, the gorgeous print of The Eagle Photoplay has done. It's not digitized as far as I know and since I am unable to assist in funding it for them much as I would love to be able to, it still remains on the top of my wish list of must see films).

Bad music scores are all subjective to the listener. The earworm version of beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Unfortunately, this can be a downside, but the important thing is we are getting to see the films.

Just my 2 cents.

Donna

Gagman 66

PostFri Apr 24, 2009 12:12 pm

Rodney,

There was noting wrong with the Photoplay print of BROKEN BLOSSOMS. Prior to seeing the new transfer last year, it was the best print I had seen anywhere. All I am saying is why would TCM score something that already had a recorded score several times over, when there are so many Silents with no music yet???

Incidentally, could you please tell us if TCM will be running your new print of THE MARK OF ZORRO for the first time next month??? I have never heard any confirmation that they would be. Just that they might be? Thanks.

Dennis,

Nice to hear that it is an all new transfer of GRASS. Thanks for the info.

boblipton

PostFri Apr 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Because BROKEN BLOSSOMS is a warhorse and people will see Richard Barthelmess and Miss Gish in it when, for some reason, they will not tune in to see Charles Emmet Mack, even if it's in Griffith's DREAM STREET. Are you asking seriously or are you simply being disingenuous?

Bob
If no one listens, then it’s just as well. At least I won’t get caught in any lies I tell.
— Joe Darion

Rodney

PostFri Apr 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Gagman 66 wrote:Rodney,

There was noting wrong with the Photoplay print of BROKEN BLOSSOMS. Prior to seeing the new transfer last year, it was the best print I had seen anywhere. All I am saying is why would TCM score something that already had a recorded score several times over, when there are so many Silents with no music yet???

If you give this a little thought, and refer to the answers you've received to similar questions about other films, I think you'll be able to answer this one yourself.

Incidentally, could you please tell us if TCM will be running your new print of THE MARK OF ZORRO for the first time next month??? I have never heard any confirmation that they would be. Just that they might be? Thanks.

Well, they haven't told me. Word is that they've licensed the score, and it's been all ready to go since last summer, so I think it's highly likely. But I let Flicker Alley have the score in exchange for the video transfer, so TCM doesn't deal with me directly.

Is there a run-time indicated? This is longer than any previous ZORRO because of the film being run at a slower speed.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

Gagman 66

PostFri Apr 24, 2009 8:26 pm

Rodney,

:o OK, providing I am understanding this correctly, the running time of THE MARK OF ZORRO on TCM in May is listed at 107 Minutes. I looked on the cases, and in the booklet from the A MODERN MUSKETEER set, and could not find the length listed? Does this sound correct? I would think that it is probably yours, and Flicker Alley's version? I don't think it would have ran more than 75 to 90 minutes before?

Rodney

PostFri Apr 24, 2009 10:31 pm

Gagman 66 wrote:Rodney,

:o OK, providing I am understanding this correctly, the running time of THE MARK OF ZORRO on TCM in May is listed at 107 Minutes. I looked on the cases, and in the booklet from the A MODERN MUSKETEER set, and could not find the length listed? Does this sound correct? I would think that it is probably yours, and Flicker Alley's version? I don't think it would have ran more than 75 to 90 minutes before?

Well, 107 minutes is correct for both Flicker Alley and our release (which are identical except for the digital processing), but the Kino release also runs 107. There are at least two other decent-quality versions -- the Image Entertainment with the the Gaylord Carter score, and a private release by the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra, which both run 90 minutes (hence 24 fps). So the proof will be -- if you hear solo piano, it's Jon Mirsalis and the Kino release. If you hear small orchestra and it's 107 minutes, it's us. :-) I actually don't get TCM unless I'm on tour and the hotel has it, so if any of you catch this, let me know.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

earlytalkiebuffRob

Re:

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 3:02 pm

Gagman 66 wrote:Bruce,

THE FIRST AUTO has been shown numerous times. But not in several years. At least they are grabing some rarely aired features, but I would rather have TIDE OF THE EMPIRE, THE VIKING, or NOAH'S ARK.

I thought SOULS FOR SALE was terrific, and Marcus Sjowell's scores is prehaps the best that the YFCC ever produced.

No debut for BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT, which I already knew. Hopefully, it will be running in the fall. I doubt if there is much chance of a August premier. Gilbert would have to be part of SUMMER UNDER THE STARS Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

THE MOCKERY apparently, isn't all that great, but at least it a premier. I have had a copy for a long time with no music, and have never watched it. Put off viewing ever since I heard this was forth-coming last Fall.

Here is my latest creation. This is a still of Harry Beaumont's FORBIDDEN HOURS (1928) that I colorized. However, the result this time looks much more like a painting than a Color photo.

Spring Time Of Love, Renee Adoree And Ramon Novarro From FORBIDDEN HOURS (1928)

MOCKERY was shown in a double-bill with a poor copy of Van Dyke's WINNERS OF THE WILDERNESS (1927) at London's NFT in 1980. I recall the year because it was shown as part of a mammoth MGM season which spread itself over many months and features long-unseen movies, often in splendid new prints... The copy of MOCKERY was very good, but the film itself seemed rather heavy-going...

Agnes

Re: TCM July Listings

PostSat Jun 16, 2018 4:06 pm

All of those silent selections for July have been on TCM before.

Agnes
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

radiotelefonia

Re: TCM July Listings

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 5:07 pm

Not to mention that my original posting is from 9 years ago.

JFK

AT&T now owns... (vertical monopolies are now ok !)

PostSun Jun 17, 2018 5:50 pm

HBO
Westward, Game of Thrones, Veep, Last Week Tonight, and Silicon Valley.
First-run distribution rights with Warner Bros, 20th Century Fox, Universal, and Dreamworks
CINEMAX
TBS Superstation
Conan, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Friends, Family Guy, New Girl, and 2 Broke Girls.
CNN
TURNER BROADCASTING also includes
Boomerang, Turner Classic Movies, and Cartoon Network.
Websites like Bleacher Report, NBA.com, PGA.com, NCAA.com, and NBA TV.
DC ENTERTAINMENT
DC Comics/DC Films - Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Aquaman, and Batman
WARNER BROTHERS STUDIO
Dark Knight/Batman trilogy, Harry Potter, The Matrix, Inception, Suicide Squad, Warner Brothers Archive
NEW LINE CINEMA
Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogy. Rush Hour, Wedding Crashers, and Sex and the City
Next

Return to Silent News