YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS podcast returns - Fact-Checking Anger

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

s.w.a.c.

YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS podcast returns - Fact-Checking Anger

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 5:06 am

Hadn't seen this mentioned here, but the Hollywood history podcast You Must Remember This hosted by Karina Longworth is back with a new series titled Fake News: Fact-Checking Hollywood Babylon, taking stories out of Kenneth Anger's Tinseltown rumour mill recycling bin and re-examining them with an eye on getting as close to the truth of what actually happened as possible.

First two episodes are posted up in Podcastland: one on D.W. Griffith and the Gish sisters, and a second on the death of Olive Thomas, and her marriage to Jack Pickford. The next episode promises a story of Hollywood's second major scandal which had "as cataclysmic an impact on the film industry as anything short of the invention of the talkie." I'm guessing it's Arbuckle, but presumably future episodes will tackle the deaths of Wallace Reid and Thomas Ince as well.

Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

missdupont

Re: YOU MUST REMEMBER THIS podcast returns - Fact-Checking A

PostWed Jul 11, 2018 8:19 am

You don't need to do anything for this book but to say it's a work of fiction, the end. She's not always accurate with her facts either.

linquist

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 1:47 pm

I listened to it for a time. It was an interesting podcast, well produced, but it got a little depressing at times. She seemed more interested in that bad news than in the good news. I had wished it was more about film history and less about film gossip. Looks like I didn't get my wish...

Thad Komorowski

PostThu Jul 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Why would anyone with disdain for Lon Chaney Jr. do podcasts about Universal horror?

rodney4130

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 6:26 am

Thad Komorowski wrote:Why would anyone with disdain for Lon Chaney Jr. do podcasts about Universal horror?

I completely agree. That said, I am enjoying this series (the Karloff/Lugosi series was really the only one I didn't like and I REALLY didn't like it). The Manson series in particular was extremely good.

The truth is, that while we all realize that Hollywood Babylon is a work of fiction, it still gets quoted as fact on a regular basis. I'm all for what she's doing here. It's important to note that her audience is largely casual fans of classic cinema, so they are getting a lot of new information.

Thad Komorowski

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 10:25 pm

rodney4130 wrote:
Thad Komorowski wrote:Why would anyone with disdain for Lon Chaney Jr. do podcasts about Universal horror?

I completely agree. That said, I am enjoying this series (the Karloff/Lugosi series was really the only one I didn't like and I REALLY didn't like it). The Manson series in particular was extremely good.

The truth is, that while we all realize that Hollywood Babylon is a work of fiction, it still gets quoted as fact on a regular basis. I'm all for what she's doing here. It's important to note that her audience is largely casual fans of classic cinema, so they are getting a lot of new information.

And that's the problem, casual fans are getting a gross misrepresentation as an introduction—a highly unlikable interpretation of one of the most highly likable subsets of classic film. It's a disservice to impose your half-assed entry-level analysis on people who might not know better. (And LOTS of people listen to this.)

Return to Silent News