Silent Star Jacqueline Logan

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

TheAvon

Silent Star Jacqueline Logan

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 2:01 pm

I was very surprised to learn that silent film star Jacqueline Logan, who played Mary Magdelene in DeMille's 1927 "King of Kings", and was present on the infamous boat trip with Hearst and Chaplin, et al, when Thomas Ince began his journey to eternity, is buried in a historic cemetery right here in Decatur, Illinois!
It seems when she passed away in Florida several years ago, she willed it to be buried in her family plot here.

I teach a film history class for the local college, and paused a DVD of "King of Kings" right on the (2-strip color) close-up of Jacqueline near the beginning of the movie. I then told the class that this actress's mortal remains was only 4 blocks from where we were!

To go even further, since the old theater we hold classes in was opened in 1916 (The Avon Theater, which is owned by me) there was a very good chance she had attended a show there when she visited her family here many years ago.

Kind of cool, huh?

-Skip Huston
Skip Huston
Avon Theater 3
Theater Management Group
MAIN OFFICE: 130 S. Austin Ave.
Decatur, IL 62522
Phone: (217) 422-1776
FAX: (217) 422-9040
Show Times: (217) 422-8151
Email: [email protected]

bobfells

Re: Silent Star Jacqueline Logan

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Welcome Skip, and it is cool if you can find a personal or local tie-in to give a silent film or actor an unexpected relevance to the younger generations. I ran a film club in college in New Rochelle, NY, (back in the Dark Ages) and I would run an occasional Thanhouser film (DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE 1911) that was filmed in an around New Rochelle. A few miles down the road was Mamaroneck where D.W. Griffith had his studio in the early 1920s. I even knew somebody who saw him filming the Valley Forge sequence for AMERICA (1924) after a blizzard hit the area just prior to the film's premiere in NYC on 2/22/24. Can't beat those local tie-ins!

TheAvon

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks for the note! I've often wondered if there is any trace of Griffith's Mamaroneck studio still visible?

I remember emailing Leonard Maltin about a year ago to see if he knew of anyone who might have a piece of Griffith's Babylon set from Intolerance stashed any place? He did not know.

I also asked him what became of the title cards from silent films after the movie was produced?
As far as I know, NONE of them have survived. He had never heard of any of those around either.

Some of those intertitles were very artistic, and it seems incredible that not a single one has survived!
Skip Huston
Avon Theater 3
Theater Management Group
Decatur, IL 62522

Brooksie

PostMon Oct 29, 2012 7:02 pm

I used to live near Mamaroneck, and I never saw the slightest trace of the studio. It's basically just suburbia now, and I think it was even within Griffith's lifetime. It was a strange place to build a studio, a little piece of land that extends out into the ocean and is only just barely connected to the mainland by a small road.

Griffith's nearby home is still in existence, though it's apparently been renovated a lot since he lived there. It was on the market about ten years ago.

Rick Lanham

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 6:47 am

The wife (actually one of the wives) of silent music composer Gaston Borch lived in Decatur and taught music at Millikin University (might have been called a college back then, I don't remember). She moved on to Los Angeles though after the embarrassment of Gaston leaving her. She filed for divorce in Decatur. Her first name was Rose.

More information on Gaston and wife is in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=7367" target="_blank

Welcome to Nitrateville. I've been to Decatur many times. My sister used to live there.

Rick

silentfilm

PostWed Oct 31, 2012 11:06 am

Jacqueline Logan and Raymond Griffith in The Dawn of a Tomorrow (1924)

I've got several photos of Logan from various films. Unfortunately, except for King of Kings (1927), most of her films are not easily seen, or no longer exist. The IMDB shows her directing a British sound film in the early 1930s.

silentfilm

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Reviving this old thread, is there a reliable biography of Jacqueline Logan anywhere? I've been contacted by someone doing research on her saying that Logan's relatives claim that she became a Sister of St. Francis in Syracuse, N.Y. (named Sister Annunciata Connell) after her acting career. Nothing in her IMDB biography mentions anything like this.

Brooksie

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 4:55 pm

I tried to come up with more information about her after seeing Midnight Madness at the SFSFF recently. There is very little outside of biographies of the people she worked with.

A Google Books search reveals a solitary mention in the National Board of Review of Motion Pictures for 1954 (possibly by William K. Everson, but it's not clear, as the whole entry is not visible) which notes that "Miss Logan is now a Franciscan nun in upstate New York." If someone has the hard copy volume, it's on page 43.

An interesting career choice for our favourite portrayer of Mary Magdalene!

silentfilm

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 6:34 pm

Thanks, I found it, although Google won't display the whole paragraph because it is copyrighted.

http://books.google.com/books?id=f0EUAAAAIAAJ&q=%22jacqueline+logan%22+nun&dq=%22jacqueline+logan%22+nun&hl=en&sa=X&ei=B2qrU-WPNMGOqgabh4D4Dw&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAg

with whom he made so many chapter plays for Pathe, but Jacqueline Logan, the star of silent films best known for her Mary Magdalene in King of Kings. Miss Logan is now a Franciscan nun in upstate New York. Mr. Everson says Republic's ...

Rick Lanham

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 6:46 pm

Jacqueline Logan has a page on Findagrave, which shows her an being buried in Greenwood Cemetery in Decatur, Illinois, as the opening message in the thread stated.

EDIT: I see now that there are two pages on Findagrave, the first one listed here is the original, apparently, and explains why she is buried there:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... 30&df=all&

Since the info on this second page includes some references to her alleged "conservative politics" and the "John Birch Society," it reads a little like some of the false data we've seen written about other stars; and discussed in other threads. It does mention homes in NY and FL. Caution is advised in using the information.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... 42&df=all&" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Rick

Rick Lanham

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 10:37 am

The alt.movies.silent archive on Google Groups shows that "Fair Pickings" said that a nun in Syracuse NY had claimed to be Jacqueline Logan:

"This is a fairly involved tale, so I won't get into it, but there was evidently a nun in Syracuse who claimed she was Jacqueline Logan!"

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... 20syracuse

Rick

Frederica

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 10:47 am

Rick Lanham wrote:The alt.movies.silent archive on Google Groups shows that "Fair Pickings" said that a nun in Syracuse NY had claimed to be Jacqueline Logan:

"This is a fairly involved tale, so I won't get into it, but there was evidently a nun in Syracuse who claimed she was Jacqueline Logan!"

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... 20syracuse" target="_blank" target="_blank

Rick

I have no insight into this mystery, other than to suggest that the death certificate or interment records would be useful, but I do have the court documents for a lawsuit filed against Logan in 1922. Apropos of nothing.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Rick Lanham

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 6:28 pm

According to the IMDB "Publicity" page on Miss Logan, there were two articles
written on her in the 1970s. They might list what she was doing in later years.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0517574/publicity

Classic Images (USA) July 1979, Iss. 64, pg. 23, by: Ted Reinhart, "Jacqueline Logan"
Classic Film Collector (USA) 1976, Iss. 53 (Winter), pg. 59, by: Weona Cleveland, "Star of Early Films Recalls Her Career"

So, if anyone has one of those, that could help.

Also, I think she is mentioned in some of the "Whatever Became of..." books by Richard Lamparski.

////
Based upon what I see on Ancestry, etc., I don't have much doubt that the person
buried in Decatur, Illinois is her. I would think that the story of a beautiful movie
star becoming a nun would be more well-known/documented if it were true.

Rick

Brooksie

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 10:12 pm

OK, I've done a little more digging around, and everything I've found seems to confirm that she lived in New York at least until the 1960s. A widely syndicated 'Where Are They Now' article from 1953 (http://tinyurl.com/lucgzhw) reports that she 'is married and lives in Bedford, N.Y.'

I have found nothing other than that one mention to indicate she was ever a nun, and even less evidence that she was a 'conservative activist', which will no doubt come as a relief or a disappointment, depending on your political persuasion. Someone out there appears to have a very strange obsession with the post-emptive political conversion of a generation of obscure silent film stars.

If anyone has access to the Variety archives, her obituary appeared in the edition of June 15th, 1983.

Rick Lanham

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 11:17 pm

OK, that location confirms a census entry I was looking at yesterday.

1. On one of the findagrave locations it mentions her step-son John Pollack.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... 30&df=all&" target="_blank

2. I searched for Jacqueline Pollack/Pollack in the city directories on Ancestry and found her in 1943/44 in Connecticut, listed as wife of Franklin B. and giving her middle initial "M." That is correct.

3. Then in the 1940 census they are listed in Bedford, NY. She does not have her middle initial here, but is born in Texas and is the approximately right age. The last three names in the household are servants, doesn't everyone have those?

Name: Jacqueline Pollock
Estimated birth year: abt 1905
Race: White
Birthplace: Texas
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Home in 1940: Bedford, Westchester, New York
Map of Home in 1940: View map
Inferred Residence in 1935: Mount Kisco, Westchester, New York
Residence in 1935: Mount Kisco, Westchester, New York
Sheet Number: 1B
Attended School or College: No
Weeks Worked in 1939: 0
Income: 0
Income Other Sources: No

Household Members:
Name Age
Franklin Pollock 36
Jacqueline Pollock 35
Bellz Pollock 59
James Gaines 33
Mattie Rucker 27
Wilhemina Petty 21

/////
Rick

Rick Lanham

PostSat Jun 28, 2014 9:17 am

In January 1932, Jacqueline Logan Winston returns from England on the ship Europa.
This probably fits in with her work on a film there. Line 25 on this page:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1923888

Rick

Harold Aherne

PostSat Jun 28, 2014 1:28 pm

I did come up with a source for the assertion that Jacqueline Logan was a member of the John Birch Society. In one of his Whatever Became Of...? books (published in 1967), Richard Lamparski profiles Patsy Ruth Miller and mentions her friendship with Logan (as well as the latter's membership in the JBS):
http://books.google.com/books?id=hiQaAAAAIAAJ&q=%22jacqueline+logan%22+%22john+birch+society%22&dq=%22jacqueline+logan%22+%22john+birch+society%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KBWvU4zrC8aHqgaZ_YKYCQ&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAg

A few years ago I also found a newspaper reference to a talk she gave on NYC radio in July 1966 about her John Birch activities, but I cannot find it at present.

-HA

Rick Lanham

PostSat Jun 28, 2014 6:10 pm

Thanks Brooksie and Harold, very cool.

Here is some info from a search on http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html ,
I had neglected to search for her on there...

Long Island Star-Journal, June 11, 1946, page 5
In Hollywood by Harold Hefferman
“Remember Jacqueline Logan, beautiful brunette silent-day star? She visited Hollywood for the first time in 16 years and gazed in wonderment at all the changes. She’s married and has been for the past dozen years to Franklin Pollack, New York business man.”

That doesn't quite match a 1937 divorce listing for her marriage to William Lawrence Winston.

Marriage Info, not verified
June 3, 1925-1929 Ralph James Gillespie (The Syracuse Journal from March 23, 1928 says that she was just granted a divorce, but further research shows that it was not "final" until a year later, which is what is on the IMDB.)
1929-34/37 William Lawrence Winston (A May 8, 1929 article says that she and Mr. Winston will "wed again," since a year earlier they had eloped and married in Mexico, only to be reminded that her divorce from Mr. Gillespie had not been finalized. Buffalo NY Courier-Express)
1934/37 - until after 1946 Franklin B. Pollack/Pollock (divorced 1947 according to Wikipedia)

Rick

silentfilm

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 11:36 am

Here's the Classic Images back issue if anybody wants it...
http://www.goantiques.com/classic-images-728497

Jacqueline Logan and Percy Marmount in The Light That Failed (1923)

Jacqueline Logan in Peacock Feathers (1925)

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 1:22 pm

silentfilm wrote:I've got several photos of Logan from various films. Unfortunately, except for King of Kings (1927), most of her films are not easily seen, or no longer exist. The IMDB shows her directing a British sound film in the early 1930s.

And of course, she starred in the Eric Grayson-restored The King of the Kongo!
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Rick Lanham

PostMon Jun 30, 2014 5:50 pm

silentfilm wrote:Here's the Classic Images back issue if anybody wants it...
http://www.goantiques.com/classic-images-728497

Hmm, thinking. A little pricey.

I just started a monthly donation supporting the Fulton History site.
I'd rather do things like that or buy DVDs of Jacqueline's movies.

http://www.fultonhistory.com

Rick

robluvthebeach

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 4:10 am

I have the Whatever Became of #2 from 1968 and it has a two page feature on Jacqueline Logan complete with current (1968) picture of her at the time. It says she did live in Westchester County but after her divorce in 1947, she split her time in Bedford Hills and in Florida. It does mention being a part of the John Birch society and that she is involved in right wing politics as an activist (which she says is not easy).

Rick Lanham

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 11:56 am

robluvthebeach wrote:I have the Whatever Became of #2 from 1968 and it has a two page feature on Jacqueline Logan complete with current (1968) picture of her at the time. It says she did live in Westchester County but after her divorce in 1947, she split her time in Bedford Hills and in Florida. It does mention being a part of the John Birch society and that she is involved in right wing politics as an activist (which she says is not easy).

Great info. That matches up with everything and is probably the source of much of what is online. I think that we can almost write off the part of her being a nun.

Rick

radiotelefonia

PostTue Jul 01, 2014 1:19 pm

I know that I want to see THE CHARGE OF THE GAUCHOS that my friend Andrea Cuarterolo found in Italy. She has a video version, but can't share it.

Rick Lanham

PostThu Jul 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Today a copy of The Look Out Girl, starring Jacqueline Logan arrived here. It's the one put out by Alpha.
Many online photos of her, especially in newspapers, show her wearing a hat; making it hard to see her
face. Similarly, in this movie, she is wearing a hat and I thought, "Here we go again." I'm impatient, I guess.
But she soon lost the hat and she is lovely in the movie.

The opening reel or so has extensive damage from projector rollers or whatever causing vertical lines. I've seen that many times while searching microfilms at archives. Those of you in the film world are more acquainted with that phenomenon there. After that, the quality improves to what I would call "average" for Alpha.

The film is a late silent, 1928, but not of the quality I've come to expect from that phrase or year. Jacqueline plays Dixie, who has a guilty past and she suffers, and when she should be happy, she is still worried. She meets and marries a rich doctor, naturally, and hides her past from him. She is still suffering/worried. The plot concerns what she is hiding, how will he learn about it, etc., etc. Jacqueline gets to wear several fine outfits in the movie. One is rather inappropriate since she should have been wearing something less conspicuous at the time; but at least she looked great!

Also starring Ian Keith, Gladden James, and Jimmy Aubrey.

Rick

Silent Star

Whatever Became of Series @ Pacifica Radio Archives

PostFri Mar 11, 2016 9:26 am

[I came across this site that has the recordings from the Richard Lamparski WEBO book series ( one of my earliest books on Hollywood) I know that he's never been taken seriously and why? These recordings are gold especially when you see the famous and forgotten subjects that he recorded with some being heard for the only time since they never did sound or no one bothered to reach out to them. This is sort of a recorded version of Kevin Brownlow's Hollywood on a smaller scale but just as important, how is it these tapes are not being heard?

http://pacificaradioarchives.org/subjec ... ki-richard"

wich2

PostFri Mar 11, 2016 10:01 am

SS, it is indeed to bad that that material - recorded at the grand old WBAI studios, near here - is not better known.

Ditto, the Mutual Radio series from the '50s (rerun in the '70s, when I first heard it), MEMOIRS OF THE MOVIES. It grew out of the Oral History dept. at Columbia University, and the single-themed episodes are hosted by different vintage stars, and contain priceless interviews with many others.

-Craig
Last edited by wich2 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silent Star

PostFri Mar 11, 2016 10:22 am

To bad I'd like to think TCM would have some interest especially since the 2016 Film Festival is right around the corner in Hollywood, what a lead in they would be when showing the films of the people interviewed

Silent Star

PostWed May 04, 2016 7:26 am

I'm please to say I recently spoke to Richard and he's alive in well, sort of wish he'd get his due I know his interviews seemed sort of campy but theirs a whole generation/audience and demographic who I think would have a great appreciation hearing them for the 1st time.

TheAvon

Jacqueline Logan

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 12:09 pm

I just found out that Ms. Logan is buried in my hometown of Decatur, Illinois. I've done some research on her life, and think someone ought to do a book on her. There is much more to her story than you would think at first!
Skip Huston
Avon Theater 3
Theater Management Group
Decatur, IL 62522
Next

Return to Silent News