Silent Hall of Fame

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

JimboBerkey

Silent Hall of Fame

PostMon Jul 15, 2013 9:49 am

http://Silent-Hall-of-Fame.org is now live!
It is the place where we fight to bring respect and recognition to under-rated silent movie stars.
Please stop by, join the chat in the forum, contribute with your pictures and suggestions for new names, or watch a wonderful movie, which is not available anywhere else, absolutely free.
Everyone is invited! Hope to see you soon!

Derwiddian

Re: Silent Hall of Fame

PostThu May 11, 2017 8:14 pm

I don't know where to begin here but on the positive side Silent Hall of Fame is a charity dedicated to bringing unseen silent films to DVD. Its current list of rare titles now available on DVD is impressive and expanding.

But what I object to is its business model. It has a set price per DVD in the $25 to $30 range. It claims that IRS will allow you a tax deduction for whatever you purchase. This is certainly not true. As a retired tax attorney, I can tell you that calling a purchase a "donation" does not make it a donation. You are buying something of value for your money. That is not a donation. It makes no difference that the seller is a charity. The tax status of the seller does not turn a purchase into a donation.

A purchase is a purchase and a gift is a gift. In a gift, you expect nothing in return, with modest exceptions.

What the organization could legally do, but currently does not, is assign an honest fair market value per DVD (i.e., what do other sellers charge per DVD?). To the extent that the Silent Hall of Fame's price exceeds the fair market value, then the excess could be tax-deductible. As their DVD's seem to be on the pricey side, that seems like a possible approach. But until that happens, anything you buy from them is payable in hard money.

Don't be misled into tax trouble. And as a taxpayer, I do not want to subsidize the organization's inflated prices.

missdupont

PostThu May 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Many of these films they are "selling" are still under copyright, with David Shepard, archivists, and other readers of this board have pointed out, even trying to sell one of the movies that Ed Lorusso just recently paid to have restored. So he's not doing a service to make these films "freely" available to others, just trying to make money for himself off things that shouldn't be sold.

silentfilm

PostThu May 11, 2017 9:29 pm

The user yorkimba was banned from this site for selling bootlegged DVDs. There is another thing that distinguishes him from others. Most film fans that I know that wanted to rescue and restore classic films want to work with archives, archivists and musicians to make films that they love more accessible. This guy rips just rips off the work of others and doesn't even attempt to work with others who could help him.

Derwiddian

PostFri May 12, 2017 8:22 am

Good. Glad to learn that on top of everything else the guy is a bootlegger. That means there's no justification ever to buy anything from him. Even if I wanted illegal stuff, it wouldn't be at those prices!

Hamilton's Grandson

PostFri May 12, 2017 10:09 am

What about his requests to have the public sign a petition to UCLA to release their archived materials to his organization and then he sells them to a public that has no idea of his history. Doesn't that reduce the legitimacy of a petition? Some of us are trying to get UCLA to release nitrate stock so that we or the public can view it and not charge for it as an inflated commodity. Shame on him/them.

NO conscience!
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

MaryGH

PostFri May 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Meh, I have visited that site a few times they don't even have Tom Tyler in their actors list. Seems to be of very limited interest in the way of silent films.....
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Harlowgold

PostSun May 21, 2017 3:21 pm

silentfilm wrote:The user yorkimba was banned from this site for selling bootlegged DVDs. There is another thing that distinguishes him from others. Most film fans that I know that wanted to rescue and restore classic films want to work with archives, archivists and musicians to make films that they love more accessible. This guy rips just rips off the work of others and doesn't even attempt to work with others who could help him.
Is yorkimba indeed the same person as Jimbo Berkey, the original poster on this thread? Jimbo Berkey has terrific websites that allow the public the view or download thousands of "public domain" movies, early tv shows, and radio shows absolutely free. I would be surprised if there are many on this website that hasn't used his website for at least occasional viewing or downloads.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun May 21, 2017 3:29 pm

It appears likely to me that Yorkmba was the same as original poster "JimboBerkey," but "JimboBerkey" is NOT the actual person Jimbo Berkey.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Harlowgold

PostSun May 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Of the 131 films listed for sale it appears only about 25 or so are post-1924, hence the majority should safely be in public domain. I'm certainly not condoning ripping off somebody's work who actually restores "lost" movies on the other hand there are several people/companies who seem to think just putting old 8mm and 16mm prints of silent on dvd first now means they "own" the movies.

missdupont

PostSun May 21, 2017 7:33 pm

Silent Hall of FAme has ripped off Flicker Alley, Milestone, Warner Archives, etc., not people who put out 8mm, so he is ripping off quality work that money was spent restoring, producing, etc., to illegally make money for himself.

drednm

PostSun May 21, 2017 7:58 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:It appears likely to me that Yorkmba was the same as original poster "JimboBerkey," but "JimboBerkey" is NOT the actual person Jimbo Berkey.

Another deliberate deception to make it look like he's being endorsed by a known entity.

And public domain films predate 1923, not 1924 as I understand it.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

bigshot

PostMon May 22, 2017 9:58 am

1923 is the last year of guaranteed Public Domain status. Later films can also be PD due to lack of renewal, improper notice, etc. 501(c)(3) non-profit archives have looser provisions for Fair Use than normal individuals. It's a very complicated issue.

silentfilm

PostMon May 22, 2017 7:57 pm

No all films from 1922 and earlier are public domain in the USA. And 1923 films will be public domain on January 1, 2019, I believe. (With our disfunctional Congress, there is no way that legislation will be passed to change this.)

AbZeroNow

PostMon May 22, 2017 9:45 pm

silentfilm wrote:No all films from 1922 and earlier are public domain in the USA. And 1923 films will be public domain on January 1, 2019, I believe. (With our disfunctional Congress, there is no way that legislation will be passed to change this.)

At least some of us hope that Congress leaves things be on that front. Lots of interesting stuff from 1923(from a literature point of view too) will be guaranteed public domain on January 1, 2019.

Agnes

PostWed May 31, 2017 8:16 pm

silentfilm wrote:No all films from 1922 and earlier are public domain in the USA. And 1923 films will be public domain on January 1, 2019, I believe. (With our disfunctional Congress, there is no way that legislation will be passed to change this.)

I thought all FILMS from 1922 & earlier were PD with 1923 following suit in 2019. The exception was that someone could copyright a particular RESTORATION of an earlier film, but not the film itself.
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Return to Silent News