Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

bigshot

  • Posts: 835
  • Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 10:42 am

Starting a new thread now that the disks are out...

I got my Chaplin and Keystone sets yesterday and I'm like a pig in mud. I'm going to limit myself to one film a night and really savor it for the next few months... unless I lose control and watch a whole bunch in a row!

Last night I watched one of my favorites... Easy Street. I am a huge fan of Eric Campbell and slapstick beatings in general. The film was still a bit rough, but in high definition projected on a ten foot screen, the clarity was amazing. It was like seeing it at a museum screening. The speed seemed perfect, there were no jarring cuts or missing material and the music (which was recorded at a live performance, so you can hear the audience laugh and clap) was perfectly matched to the music, especially when Campbell gives the mugs on each side of the street the eye.

Great job!
Offline
User avatar

LouieD

  • Posts: 1526
  • Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 11:36 am

Is "The Immigrant" complete?
Offline

mcblue

  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 11:37 am

It's a very impressive collection, indeed! I've watched these films numerous times since I was a teenager, but seeing them in such clarity makes each film a new experience. I noticed a lot more of the sets, peripheral action, facial expressions, etc. The musical scores are excellent, particularly Robert Israel's. I loved his reconstruction of the Van Bueren score for The Pawnshop.

I've noticed a couple minor flaws, and I only bring them up because I'm wondering if anyone else noticed. There's a shot of Campbell and Purviance in Behind the Screen that seems to be flipped so that it's a mirror image of what it's supposed to be. I can tell because they show it once, cut away, and then cut back to it, and when they do, the actors are on opposite sides of the screen than they were the first time. Also in Behind the Screen, the Mickey Mousey music cues occur just ahead of the actions they're supposed to be Mickey Mousing.
Offline
User avatar

rudyfan

  • Posts: 1789
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:48 am
  • Location: San Fwancisco

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 11:47 am

mcblue wrote:I've noticed a couple minor flaws, and I only bring them up because I'm wondering if anyone else noticed. There's a shot of Campbell and Purviance in Behind the Screen that seems to be flipped so that it's a mirror image of what it's supposed to be. I can tell because they show it once, cut away, and then cut back to it, and when they do, the actors are on opposite sides of the screen than they were the first time.


Could that be a continuity error during filiming?
Offline
User avatar

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

  • Posts: 5647
  • Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:23 pm
  • Location: Chicago

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 12:00 pm

LOUIEEEEEEE!

Image

Mine hasn't come yet, maybe today. By the way, just to prove it isn't only here, from Flicker Alley's own website:

Posted by Joe Clinton, 26/07/2014 8:53pm (20 days ago)

I understand the delays were inevitable. That's why it was very dishonest of Flicker Alley to insist the item would ship on or before July 29th. No other responsible retailer does that.


Remember, no other release date has ever been pushed back in movie history.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier
Offline

Jim Harwood

  • Posts: 82
  • Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:18 am
  • Location: Santa Clarita, CA

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 12:54 pm

I've watched three of the shorts, ONE A.M., THE RINK and THE FLOORWALKER and all of them have looked really nice.

A nitpick. The orchestral soundtrack for THE FLOORWALKER is out of sync a couple of seconds. It's most noticeable in the scenes with sound effects. The piano score for that short also seems to be off a bit too. Odd.

All in all a really nice package and certainly the best the shorts have ever looked on video.
Offline

mcblue

  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 1:45 pm

rudyfan wrote:
mcblue wrote:I've noticed a couple minor flaws, and I only bring them up because I'm wondering if anyone else noticed. There's a shot of Campbell and Purviance in Behind the Screen that seems to be flipped so that it's a mirror image of what it's supposed to be. I can tell because they show it once, cut away, and then cut back to it, and when they do, the actors are on opposite sides of the screen than they were the first time.


Could that be a continuity error during filiming?


I don't think it's a continuity error. I'd have to look at it again, but I believe that the scenery was flipped as well.
Offline

mcblue

  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 1:50 pm

Jim Harwood wrote:A nitpick. The orchestral soundtrack for THE FLOORWALKER is out of sync a couple of seconds. It's most noticeable in the scenes with sound effects. The piano score for that short also seems to be off a bit too. Odd.


I noticed that the score for Behind the Screen is also out of sync.
Offline
User avatar

Mitch Farish

  • Posts: 701
  • Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:30 am
  • Location: Charlottesville, VA

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 2:27 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:LOUIEEEEEEE!

Image

Mine hasn't come yet, maybe today. By the way, just to prove it isn't only here, from Flicker Alley's own website:

Posted by Joe Clinton, 26/07/2014 8:53pm (20 days ago)

I understand the delays were inevitable. That's why it was very dishonest of Flicker Alley to insist the item would ship on or before July 29th. No other responsible retailer does that.


Remember, no other release date has ever been pushed back in movie history.


I haven't got mine yet. I didn't mind waiting for the delayed release at all, but you would think that for the people who pre-ordered they would express mail it. Mine shipped on Aug. 12 and probably will not arrive before Aug. 19.
Offline

DShepFilm

  • Posts: 583
  • Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:40 am

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostFri Aug 15, 2014 4:24 pm

Many of the scores were recorded in live performance and will sync in some places, be soft in others.

David Shepard
Offline
User avatar

bigshot

  • Posts: 835
  • Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 10:55 am

That's a shame. With timing as carefully crafted as Chaplin's. it deserves a precisely timed soundtrack.
Offline
User avatar

LouieD

  • Posts: 1526
  • Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 11:17 am

bigshot wrote:That's a shame. With timing as carefully crafted as Chaplin's. it deserves a precisely timed soundtrack.


Well, it's only Chaplin.
Offline
User avatar

Lonesome Luke

  • Posts: 90
  • Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:12 pm
  • Location: Montreal

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 11:43 am

LouieD wrote:Is "The Immigrant" complete?


That's what I want to know. I read somewhere that there might be some missing footage.
Offline
User avatar

Roscoe

  • Posts: 209
  • Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:28 am

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 3:45 pm

I'm very disappointed that my purchases of the Chaplin and Mutual sets still have not yet arrived -- I'd thought better of Flicker Alley, they usually handle these things better than this. The least they could have done was send a tracking number for the shipment.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com
Offline
User avatar

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

  • Posts: 5647
  • Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:23 pm
  • Location: Chicago

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Did you not get an email telling you how to get the tracking number? I did.

August 12, 2014
Dear Michael,

Thank you once again for your pre-order of CHAPLIN'S MUTUAL COMEDIES and/or THE MACK SENNETT COLLECTION, VOL. ONE, as well as for your patience in their arrival.
Rest assured, your pre-order is being shipped out today, if it hasn't already been sent to you late last week. If you would like to know the tracking information of your shipment, please e-mail us at [email protected] and we will get back to you with any and all available/applicable information regarding your order as soon as we have the chance.

Additionally, if you have any questions regarding your delivered product, please e-mail or call us between the hours of 10 AM and 6 PM (PST), and we will do our best to serve your needs. If you have cancelled your order for any reason, please ignore this message.
Thank you once again for supporting Flicker Alley, and we sincerely hope you enjoy these cinematic gems.

Best,

The Flicker Alley Team
[email protected]
(323) 851-1905
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier
Offline
User avatar

Rick Lanham

  • Posts: 1846
  • Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:16 pm
  • Location: Gainesville, FL

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 4:07 pm

I've never gotten a tracking number from Flicker Alley. Still waiting here also.

It seems that I always wait, whether I pre-order through Amazon, or directly from FA.

Rick
Offline
User avatar

Roscoe

  • Posts: 209
  • Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:28 am

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 4:50 pm

Yeah, I saw that e-mail and was pretty disappointed that I have to go to the trouble to ask them for a tracking number when they've usually supplied one without my having ask for it in the past. They're not exactly covering themselves with glory on this. Production delays are one thing, those things happen -- I'm sure that my annoyance is at least in part coming from the fact that I placed my order immediately upon receiving the e-mail announcing the availability of the products, and I guess I'd assumed I'd have my package by now.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com
Offline
User avatar

LouieD

  • Posts: 1526
  • Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Roscoe wrote:Yeah, I saw that e-mail and was pretty disappointed that I have to go to the trouble to ask them for a tracking number when they've usually supplied one without my having ask for it in the past. They're not exactly covering themselves with glory on this. Production delays are one thing, those things happen -- I'm sure that my annoyance is at least in part coming from the fact that I placed my order immediately upon receiving the e-mail announcing the availability of the products, and I guess I'd assumed I'd have my package by now.


Wow. Really?? You're complaining because you didn't get a goddamn tracking number? It's weasels like you which make the people who do these things NOT want to do these things.
Offline
User avatar

Jim Reid

  • Posts: 1509
  • Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:16 am
  • Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 7:07 pm

LouieD wrote:Wow. Really?? You're complaining because you didn't get a goddamn tracking number? It's weasels like you which make the people who do these things NOT want to do these things.


You took the words right out of my mouth!
Offline
User avatar

Rick Lanham

  • Posts: 1846
  • Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:16 pm
  • Location: Gainesville, FL

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 8:48 pm

LouieD wrote:
Roscoe wrote:Yeah, I saw that e-mail and was pretty disappointed that I have to go to the trouble to ask them for a tracking number when they've usually supplied one without my having ask for it in the past. They're not exactly covering themselves with glory on this. Production delays are one thing, those things happen -- I'm sure that my annoyance is at least in part coming from the fact that I placed my order immediately upon receiving the e-mail announcing the availability of the products, and I guess I'd assumed I'd have my package by now.


Wow. Really?? You're complaining because you didn't get a goddamn tracking number? It's weasels like you which make the people who do these things NOT want to do these things.


Yeah, yeah, we're just terrible. The weasels who ordered them in April, paid for them in April, we're just terrible... customers, supporters of these companies.

Rick
Offline
User avatar

LouieD

  • Posts: 1526
  • Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 9:51 pm

Rick Lanham wrote:
Yeah, yeah, we're just terrible. The weasels who ordered them in April, paid for them in April, we're just terrible... customers, supporters of these companies.

Rick


Pretty much. Keep on complaining. It inspires the people who actually do the work to keep on putting out stuff for the people who sit on their asses.
Offline

CliffClaven

  • Posts: 21
  • Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:41 am

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSat Aug 16, 2014 10:48 pm

I have the 2006 Image Entertainment box, which always struck me as plenty sharp (I was raised on 8mm and grainy broadcast TV versions). For a DVD viewer with a big Sony set instead of a bigger flatscreen, is the visual difference big enough to justify the new set? Is the content of the shorts themselves significantly different?

PS -- Just want to add I have other Flicker Alley products (Chaplin at Keystone, Melíes, and early Fairbanks) and am very happy. Those offered tons of stuff you couldn't see in decent form if you could seen it at all; I'm just a little more budget conscious when I've got a respectable set of the same shorts.
Offline
User avatar

Roscoe

  • Posts: 209
  • Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:28 am

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSun Aug 17, 2014 5:51 am

LouieD wrote:Wow. Really?? You're complaining because you didn't get a goddamn tracking number? It's weasels like you which make the people who do these things NOT want to do these things.


Wow. Really?? Resorting to name-calling and profanity rather than a civil response? Sad sad sad.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com
Offline

vitaphone

  • Posts: 437
  • Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:50 am
  • Location: New Jersey

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSun Aug 17, 2014 6:07 am

Louie, they are the epitome of Cinewhiners. Do nothing but gripe and complain but never anything productive themselves. I guess that's all they have to do.
Offline
User avatar

LouieD

  • Posts: 1526
  • Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSun Aug 17, 2014 7:37 am

Roscoe wrote:
LouieD wrote:Wow. Really?? You're complaining because you didn't get a goddamn tracking number? It's weasels like you which make the people who do these things NOT want to do these things.


Wow. Really?? Resorting to name-calling and profanity rather than a civil response? Sad sad sad.


Where's the profanity? By writing "damn"? Hell, even the censors let that go in '39.
Offline
User avatar

LouieD

  • Posts: 1526
  • Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSun Aug 17, 2014 7:40 am

vitaphone wrote:Louie, they are the epitome of Cinewhiners. Do nothing but gripe and complain but never anything productive themselves. I guess that's all they have to do.


It's really sad.
Offline
User avatar

Rob Farr

  • Posts: 538
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:10 pm
  • Location: Washington DC

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSun Aug 17, 2014 8:21 am

I, for one, refuse to accept delivery of any packages that use the uncouth abbreviation "St." in my address rather than the properly spelled "Street". You've been warned, Flicker Alley-Milestone-Kino and all the others.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx
www.slapsticon.org
Offline
User avatar

rudyfan

  • Posts: 1789
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:48 am
  • Location: San Fwancisco

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSun Aug 17, 2014 9:43 am

Received mine, what a great quality packing job and what a beautiful thing inside. Only watched one film so far (The Cure) and it's just splendid. Thanks FA and SB and DS and anyone who put 2 cents into this release. I am going to enjoy it all!
Offline

Bob Furem

  • Posts: 275
  • Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:55 pm

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSun Aug 17, 2014 11:27 am

Mine arrived yesterday. As big a Chaplin fan as I am, I started with the Sennett collection and watched most of disc 1. A few observations:

Of course, Chaplin is not represented much here, nor should he be. However, the upgrade of Recreation and the inclusion of the Thief Catcher are major additions to the canon.

For some reason, perhaps the clarity, I find Ford Sterling's work very amusing, much more so than I usually do. I may have to re-evaluate this fellow.

Mabel, Mabel, my Mabel. Blu-ray was made for you, my dear.

One can nitpick what was included and left off, but this thankless job seems to have been handled with great thought and care. This is neither strictly a Sennett's greatest hits or a rarities compilation. There are plenty of both and I enjoyed watching the Sennett style evolve from 1909-1916 in the course of a few hours.

I can't wait to dive back in. All in all, along with the Marx Brothers TV Collection, it has not been a bad summer for us lovers of classic comedy.
Offline
User avatar

bigshot

  • Posts: 835
  • Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSun Aug 17, 2014 11:58 am

Last night, I watched The Floorwalker. The soundtrack is definitely out of sync with the main accents in the music by 6 to 8 frames at multiple points in the track. There really isn't any reason for it either, because there are lots and lots of pauses and ends of phrases in the music that could have easily been slid a bit in FinalCut to put it all in perfect sync. I bet if I had the FinalCut timeline in front of me, I could put the whole set back into perfect sync in less than a day. I'm surprised that with all the attention to detail in the film transfers, they didn't go the extra mile with the soundtracks too.
Next

Return to Silent News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests