Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Mitch Farish

Re: Flicker Alley Chaplin Mutuals

PostSun Aug 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Wow! So many people have theirs, and when I checked a few minutes ago mine had arrived at a USPS facility in California on 8/13 with an estimated delivery date of 8/19. I would have given my 10% discount back if Flicker Alley had just express mailed it. Forgive me for being a little anxious; I've never owned these films before, and the last time I saw any of them was on TV a long time ago.

jacksparrow900

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 2:59 pm

I've just finished watching the first disc and from what I read that was missing from previous versions is included. Even Chaplin falling off the car in The Rink. The quality of these is absolutely stunning for films almost 100 years old.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 3:04 pm

Got mine today! Good luck to all awaiting the USPS...
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

mcblue

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 4:28 pm

In the Van Beuren score for The Pawnshop, does anyone know where the music during the alarm clock sequence comes from? It sounds very much like Mozart to me.

NotSoSilent

PostMon Aug 18, 2014 5:08 pm

Received my set a few days ago - and LOVING it. The films look amazing, like seeing them again for the first time. Watching The Cure I kept wondering, "Have I noticed that before?" from facial reactions by co-stars to certain bits of action. For example, the scene at the very end where Chaplin and Edna start walking off, even though Chaplin turned his head to face Edna, he turned his eyes down to make sure he was positioned to walk toward the well. Maybe some have noticed this before, but I never did.

After ordering the set, I wondered how much I would appreciate it because I already had the previous Image set. I quickly found, however, there simply is no comparison. Thank you to all involved for putting together a wonderful set of Chaplin's Mutuals. Kudos!
Last edited by NotSoSilent on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

T0m M

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 6:35 am

I am a bit confused by FA advertising this as Blue-Ray/DVD, yet not providing further explanation. Is this a double format set, where you get both Blue-Ray and DVD versions or did they relegate the extras to a DVD with only the Chaplin films being on Blu_Ray? Most companies will put a high definition feature film with standard definition extras all on the same Blue-Ray disc. Is this what FA did but chose different terminology? Or is it something completely different? I'd appreciate an answer from somebody who actually has the set.

jacksparrow900

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 6:49 am

It's a double format.

NotSoSilent

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 6:50 am

T0m M wrote:I am a bit confused by FA advertising this as Blue-Ray/DVD, yet not providing further explanation. Is this a double format set, where you get both Blue-Ray and DVD versions or did they relegate the extras to a DVD with only the Chaplin films being on Blu_Ray? Most companies will put a high definition feature film with standard definition extras all on the same Blue-Ray disc. Is this what FA did but chose different terminology? Or is it something completely different? I'd appreciate an answer from somebody who actually has the set.

It is a double format set. The films and extras are on Blu-ray discs and DVDs.

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 7:52 am

Since I live in Canada, I'll just have to assume the express sled dogs had to stop for an extra bit of kibble en route to my postal office.

Either that or Snidely Whiplash got my copies.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

sc1957

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 8:17 am

Everything in this set looks great, starting with the menu screen image of everybody on the floor of the skating rink. I can't wait to get to my favorites: The Immigrant and The Pawnshop. But I believe in delayed gratification, so I started with the Eric Campbell documentary.

I have two small quibbles:

1) The steelbook packaging is incredibly tight. I had to struggle quite a bit to open the "wings" in order to access all the discs. When I closed one of the wings, the two inner discs seemed to touch at one edge. I expect I'll solve this by removing the DVDs and the wings.

2) On the menus, the main options (Play Program or Select Film(?)) are either bright red or bright white, so it's difficult to tell which option is active. A duller color for the inactive option would solve this.
Scott Cameron

NotSoSilent

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 8:42 am

sc1957 wrote:1) The steelbook packaging is incredibly tight. I had to struggle quite a bit to open the "wings" in order to access all the discs. When I closed one of the wings, the two inner discs seemed to touch at one edge. I expect I'll solve this by removing the DVDs and the wings.

I had the same problem. It helps to push out on the side of the box to release the "wing" so you don't break the tabs that secure it in place. I also had a helluva time getting the Blu-ray Disc 2 out. At one point I thought I was going to break the disc trying to set it free. Although the steelbook packaging looks great, I'm thinking plastic is a bit more functional.
sc1957 wrote:2) On the menus, the main options (Play Program or Select Film(?)) are either bright red or bright white, so it's difficult to tell which option is active. A duller color for the inactive option would solve this.

I believe the Slapstick Encyclopedia is the same way (I am going off of memory). You don't know what is highlighted/active. Underlining the text (or something similar) would certainly help.

These are VERY minor issues and certainly not a negative review of the set...which is FANTASTIC.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 9:56 am

My guess is that the metal box is about making it fancy and shiny for retail. If that means they'll actually be in Costco or Best Buy or whatever... cool!
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

jacksparrow900

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 10:07 am

What i did with my case I took out the wing with the dvd disc since I only need the bluray I moved the blu ray disc over.

charlie

PostTue Aug 19, 2014 4:35 pm

I received my set last week and watched a couple films last night with my oldest son (he's 9) -- we watched "The Floorwalker" and "The Fireman" and they both looked amazing! We are not, in any way, experts on Chaplin cinema -- just fans -- so I don't have any nitpicks of missing footage or anything like that. To our eyes, these films look incredible and they definitely delivered a fun evening of entertainment.

And kudos to Flicker Alley for their great communication throughout the ordering/shipping/delivery process -- as well as for their packing job. Loved the bonus little Chaplin pin that was included. And as a graphic designer, my first thought was to inspect the packaging design for the set -- really impressed. I did notice a spelling error on the menu of disk 1 of the Blu-rays -- Donald Sosin was listed once as "Donals Sosin" -- ... I think that's what I saw. Can't remember now for which film.

Thank to those who put all the work into this set -- LOVE IT.

Rick Lanham

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 11:03 am

charlie wrote:And kudos to Flicker Alley for their great communication throughout the ordering/shipping/delivery process -- as well as for their packing job. Loved the bonus little Chaplin pin that was included. And as a graphic designer, my first thought was to inspect the packaging design for the set -- really impressed.

Thank to those who put all the work into this set -- LOVE IT.

I have 30, at least, of their movie sets and love almost all of them. However, YMMV on the communications thing. I never get anything after the order. No email about delays or when-shipped. It's possibly because I use PayPal when I order from them directly.

I don't know about the pin, didn't get one. I did get the calendar. That might be random, or they knew I was a Keaton fan. :lol:

Today I started watching the Sennett set and am enjoying it immensely. My thanks to all involved.

Rick

mcblue

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 11:13 am

I'm curious to watch the Sennett set, but I don't have the money. I'm wondering if the films will eventually become available on Fandor, like the Chaplin at Keystone films are now.

Smari1989

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 12:38 pm

I received the Chaplin-set yesterday (and the Sennett one as well). Watched THE FLOORWALKER -- indeed, a fantastic job. The film itself may not be among the very best Charlie did at Mutual, but I noticed lots of bits here and there in this restoration which I couldn't recall. And the score (chose the orchestral one) is excellent, doing the film full justice by being energetic and "fun" to listen to -- much like the Van Beuren scores. Looking very much forward to EASY STREET, THE IMMIGRANT and the other very best ones.

And, for what it's worth, my experience is that Flicker Alley keeps good communication with its costumers, sending e-mails whenever there are delays and when the items are just shipped, and so on.

Roscoe

PostWed Aug 20, 2014 2:08 pm

The package finally arrived, and what I've checked out looks great. EASY STREET and THE CURE are always a joy to behold. I'd seen these restorations screened at Film Forum earlier this year. I do wish they'd managed to remove the sounds of the audience from the live recordings of the scores, though, but that's a quibble. A great set that I'm thrilled to have in my collection, I'm sure I'll be getting a lot of pleasure out of it.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

DougMac

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 12:28 pm

I love it! I ordered from Amazon (didn't know about ordering direct) back in May. The package arrived on release day. I have only watched a few, but I never thought I'd see these films look so good and be so complete. I compared "The Rink" to an old DVD copy and the difference is amazing!

Since this is my first post, I'll introduce myself. I've loved movies since I was a little boy. Santa brought me a regular 8 movie camera and projector when I was 8 years old. I bought some Keaton and Chaplin films from Castle Films and fell in love. I made friends with a projectionist at a local theater and would sit in the projection booth for hours.

I graduated from Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles with a B.F.A. (with honors) in Photography with a minor in film. One of the big treats at Art Center was taking the History of Cinema courses taught by none other than Rudy Behlmer!

I have found DVD, the blu-ray a terrific boon to my interest in classic films, especially silent films.

You might find how I found this site amusing. I responded to a review of the series on Amazon where someone complained of the slow projection speed. This led to further discussion, including a couple of argumentative posts by someone who told me I was both ignorant and wrong. This person trotted out why he knew more about silent films then me or probably anybody else. Since he propped himself up as such an expert, I decided to do an internet search and find out just who Richard M. Roberts was anyway!

wich2

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 2:16 pm

Welcome from an ex-lurker recent member, Doug!

>I bought some Keaton and Chaplin films from Castle Films and fell in love.<

With respect, those two entities probably came from another source than Castle - maybe Blackhawk, or another 8mm outfit.

-Craig

DougMac

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 3:21 pm

wich2 wrote:Welcome from an ex-lurker recent member, Doug!

>I bought some Keaton and Chaplin films from Castle Films and fell in love.<

With respect, those two entities probably came from another source than Castle - maybe Blackhawk, or another 8mm outfit.

-Craig

Right you are, Craig! I suffer from CRS. I got "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein" (and other titles) from Castle. I still have them! :D

buckley

PostFri Aug 22, 2014 6:55 pm

Wow! So many people have theirs, and when I checked a few minutes ago mine had arrived at a USPS facility in California on 8/13 with an estimated delivery date of 8/19. I would have given my 10% discount back if Flicker Alley had just express mailed it. Forgive me for being a little anxious; I've never owned these films before, and the last time I saw any of them was on TV a long time ago.

Unrelated to the Chaplin set which is on the way to me with the Sennett, this week I received, here in Australia, the new Blu Ray of RKO's Out of the Past in 4 days via USPS from Amazon/US. Happens a lot lately. A parcel from a Marketplace seller in Germany via Amazon.de order took under 7 days. Only complaint about that one was the seller paid 7 Euros to ship and I was charged 15 Euros on the order but I have the set I ordered(5 discs and book).

topchap

PostSat Aug 23, 2014 4:50 pm

bigshot

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 10:50 am

I watched The Adventurer this weekend. It was a little out of sync. Not as bad as The Floorwalker. Only about three or four frames this time.

Robert Moulton

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 11:34 am

An amazing set. We've (or at least I have) come a long way from my only availability being Standard 8mm prints I could borrow from the library of The Floorwalker, One A.M., The Rink, and The Adventurer.

I still miss threading up a projector a little bit but the current situation is more better and affordable.

I think my progression has been:
- library loans of Standard 8mm prints
- VHS taping off French CBC
- LaserDisc
- DVD
-BluRay

TerryC

PostMon Aug 25, 2014 5:51 pm

I think I had a similar progression: 1) Seeing bits and pieces from PBS showings, 2) Taping them from Canada's first pay TV channel (First Choice) on our Beta machine, 3) Dubbing these to VHS -- imagine the quality!, 4) Copying the library DVDs on to DVRs, 5) Buying the Essanay/Mutual box set from Image, and finally the Flicker Alley Blu-rays.

martin arias

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 5:54 am

I have just watched them all.

Packaging is beautiful. All shorts look wonderful. The only objections being mostly that, as I pointed out on another now closed entry, THE IMMIGRANT is incomplete. On every other short, a notice at the very beginning explains that the base print was negative A, but that in those cases when there were missing or damages shots, they were replaced with those on negative B. So, David Shepard's explanation about not taking negative B into consideration apparently was followed just in THE IMMIGRANT's case. Why, it escapes me.

The last shot from THE RINK, with Charlie falling, is there (even if it's very brief, there probably isn't anymore in existence), and the whole print of THE RINK shows enormous improvement toward all previous issues.

Also EASY STREET is much better, even if a couple of shots mentioned as existent are not there (I have never seen them; one is a shot showing Edna going out of the mission at the reel change, and another one showing Eric going up the steps of his home after he escapes police). Again, there's lot of added footage here, and I don't know if these two sequences I mention survive somewhere.

THE ADVENTURER adds new footage here and there, but there is an odd gap at the reel change which is doublyt disturbing considering that we all known what's missing there, for it's on all other prints of this film, including the collection from 10 years ago. Check on YOUTUBE and every other version out there has this footage, some 11 seconds, on which Charlie realizes the botthle he's hanging is upside down, smiles, exits with Edna, goes into the yard, takes reverences with the ladies, and says hello to Eric. All of this is missing from the new restoration.

ONE A.M. is complete but the print is not tinted, which should have been for otherwise the exterior shots with the cab clearly put in evidence this was filmed during the afternoon. It was tinted on the first exposure of this print 10 years ago. With the exteriors in blue and all of the interiores in brown.

Soundtracks have slight delays here and there, as already noted by some other people, but even if this should have been corrected, I can live with it.

m.
Last edited by martin arias on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

jacksonwalker2000

SilentsPlease

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 9:30 am

I still haven't received the Chaplin nor the Sennett sets. I'm not annoyed by the delay nor the need to email them to get tracking numbers. But I'm slightly annoyed that Flicker Alley charged my credit card way back in April when I placed the order. Anyone feel the same? This is not quite the standard business practice.

Anyway, I logged in here just to see if there are any technical issues with the discs. It seems there are just a few sync issues, so I'm glad about that.

All Darc

PostTue Aug 26, 2014 10:11 am

Some reports said the maybe some prints was not available for the Blu Ray edition, only for the DVD set, as The Rink and Easy Streetwould look Better in the DVD.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/3 ... ords-about" target="_blank" target="_blank™-chaplins-mutual-comedies-in-blu-ray/page-2

"So far, I'm kind of ambivalent about the new set. While some of the films look better than I have ever seen them (The Pawnshop, The Immigrant), some look worse to me (The Rink, Easy Street). Yes, they are higher def, but some simply look more pleasing to me on the DVD set. I guess this is due to certain prints/negatives not being available (rather like some of the Keaton shorts in the Kino Blu-ray set that were missing certain shots that had appeared in previous editions). "

Many Scenes in The Blu Ray looks like overexposed (like transfered very bright during telecine or so), too bright, making the details in the shadow ares get missing portions ("black holes"), like in these captures. Look Carlitos's pants:

Keep thinking...

PreviousNext

Return to Silent News