Cinefest Ending

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Jay Schwartz

Re: Cinefest Ending

PostSun Nov 30, 2014 12:44 am

Limp Lizard was the location of my favorite Cinefest meal spot, Mother's. I should give it a try though since it is probably similar to Dinosaur fare at a closer and no doubt less mobbed location.

The remodeled, and greatly reduced-in-size hotel bar was an unfortunate change in the history of Cinefest. Since there is almost no room for more than 8 people to hang out, people now tend to skip the former tradition of ending the night there. But hopefully that will not be true this final Cinefest!

TheThinMan

PostMon Dec 01, 2014 8:24 pm

The hotel where Cinefest is held offers a buffet for both breakfast and dinner. Varies each day for dinner. Recommended and it seems to be the one place everyone goes in an effort to avoid the cold weather outside.

Cinevent in Columbus is run by Steve Haynes and his crew and Steve told me personally that until he is six feet under and pushing up the daisies, Convent will always be. (Hope that makes everyone happy.)

If you have never been to Cinefest in Columbus, consider going. For years I hear people saying "I've been meaning to go" and they always have reasons but a reason every year for many years is only excuses. Anyone who has been meaning to go and doesn't this year has nothing to gripe about later. (Kind of like the fella who gripes about the Government but when I discover they are not a registered voter, I walk away from the griping.) Mark your calendar, ask your boss off for work on those dates and book your hotel room now.

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Dec 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Jay Schwartz wrote:Limp Lizard was the location of my favorite Cinefest meal spot, Mother's. I should give it a try though since it is probably similar to Dinosaur fare at a closer and no doubt less mobbed location.

Yep, last year was my first time visiting Limp Lizard, but I'll definitely be heading back this time around. Close proximity and easy parking are obvious assets, but the food was pretty good as well, better-than-average tavern fare.

I'll probably have to hit Denny's as well, we don't have one where I live, so it's something of a novelty. Moon Over My-Hammy is a lot more tempting when you can only have one per year (and they do proper hash brown potatoes, something my local joints can't seem to comprehend).
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Frederica

PostTue Dec 02, 2014 3:11 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Jay Schwartz wrote:Limp Lizard was the location of my favorite Cinefest meal spot, Mother's. I should give it a try though since it is probably similar to Dinosaur fare at a closer and no doubt less mobbed location.

Yep, last year was my first time visiting Limp Lizard, but I'll definitely be heading back this time around. Close proximity and easy parking are obvious assets, but the food was pretty good as well, better-than-average tavern fare.

I'm detecting a reptilian theme here. Is that deliberate?
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Jay Schwartz

PostTue Dec 02, 2014 3:33 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:I'll probably have to hit Denny's as well, we don't have one where I live, so it's something of a novelty. Moon Over My-Hammy is a lot more tempting when you can only have one per year (and they do proper hash brown potatoes, something my local joints can't seem to comprehend).

When I went to my first Cinefest sometime in the late 1980s, and the hotel was across the street from Denny's, I think I ate every single meal there (or Burger King)! I simply didn't know where else to go.

However, now when I attend Cinefest, I attempt to eat zero meals there (and not because I patronize the chain almost ever the rest of the year).

That said, I did have a Denny's meal last year -- in Rome, New York. My hotel during Capitolfest was attached to a Denny's.

Note that there are better places to eat in Rome, also.

Well, I have visited Tim Horton's during Cinefest, which I guess is the reverse logic. There aren't any near me.

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Dec 09, 2014 2:55 pm

Jay Schwartz wrote:Well, I have visited Tim Horton's during Cinefest, which I guess is the reverse logic. There aren't any near me.

I have lots of Tim's near me, but I still go to the one near the hotel at Cinefest, because to me Dunkin' Donuts coffee tastes akin to what I imagine transmission fluid would taste like, and Tim's is only better by default. (Mind you, usually at home I avoid Tim's whenever possible, but I have three different cafes offering locally roasted fair-trade stuff within blocks of my house, so I'm a bit spoiled in that regard.)

Jim Roots

PostWed Dec 10, 2014 7:06 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Jay Schwartz wrote:Well, I have visited Tim Horton's during Cinefest, which I guess is the reverse logic. There aren't any near me.

I have lots of Tim's near me, but I still go to the one near the hotel at Cinefest, because to me Dunkin' Donuts coffee tastes akin to what I imagine transmission fluid would taste like, and Tim's is only better by default. (Mind you, usually at home I avoid Tim's whenever possible, but I have three different cafes offering locally roasted fair-trade stuff within blocks of my house, so I'm a bit spoiled in that regard.)

Tim's right outside my window across the street.

Anyone who thinks they aren't the tops should walk over there right now and order the monthly special, a Dark Chocolate Supreme Donut. [Drool alert for chocoholics!] Not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE kinds of dark chocolate and nothin' else: dark choc donut stuffed with extra-rich dark choc cream, dark choc icing, dark choc popped sprinkles, and a wedge of dark choc wafer.

Wipe your chin and get on out there, girl.

Jim

Donald Binks

PostWed Dec 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Anyone who thinks they aren't the tops should walk over there right now and order the monthly special, a Dark Chocolate Supreme Donut. [Drool alert for chocoholics!] Not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE kinds of dark chocolate and nothin' else: dark choc donut stuffed with extra-rich dark choc cream, dark choc icing, dark choc popped sprinkles, and a wedge of dark choc wafer.

How long does one have to book oneself into a health farm for after consuming one of these? :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!

Jim Roots

PostThu Dec 11, 2014 7:23 am

Donald Binks wrote:

How long does one have to book oneself into a health farm for after consuming one of these? :D

Not long at all, but they do have to stop you bouncing off the walls.

Jim

Guy Taylor, Jr.

PostSat Dec 13, 2014 10:08 am

First hints as to what is coming is on the Syracuse Cinefest site. There will be some more of the early talkies from Fox Film Productions. Those of you who were there last year will know what a treat these were; rarely seen films from the UCLA Film and Television Archives.

TheThinMan

PostSun Jan 11, 2015 10:52 am

Gus, you will enjoy Cinevent in Columbus. It is the similar in nature to Cinefest only that it is two or three times larger in size. But the layout and movie room and vendors are relatively the same.

There is a second convention you may want to consider attending. The Mid Atlantic Nostalgia Convention in Baltimore, Maryland. Held every September it is a film festival of a different nature. I wouldn't classify it as a "film festival" but the seminars, celebrity guests and vendors are above average on all counts. In past years I met Celeste Holm, Margaret O'Brien, Shirley Jones, Marsha Hunt and Ann Rutherford. They just announced Terry Moore among the guests this year.

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 2:43 pm

Maybe these should be in a list in either the silent or talkie screenings pages, but here's some titles from the Cinefest page:

RISKY BUSINESS (1939, Universal) with George Murphy, Dorthea Kent and El Brendel

SMOKING GUNS (Universal, 1934) with Ken Maynard.

MEN ON CALL (1931, Fox) with Edmund Lowe, Mae Clarke, Warren Hymer. (Courtesy of UCLA Film and Television Archives)

MY LIPS BETRAY (1933, Fox) with Lillian Harvey, John Boles. (Courtesy of UCLA Film and Television Archives).

LIFE IN THE RAW (1933, Fox) with George O'Brien, Claire Trevor. (Courtesy of UCLA Film and Television Archives).

THE RETURN OF PETER GRIMM (1926, Fox) with Alec B. Francis, Janet Gaynor. (Courtesy of the Museum of Modern Art)

THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (1924, Fox) with Earle Foxe. (Courtesy of the Museum of Modern Art).

THE BIG BROADCAST (1932, Paramount) with Bing Crosby, Stuart Erwin, Burns & Allen, Kate Smith, the Boswell Sisters and many others.

OUT ALL NIGHT (1935, Universal) with Zasu Pitts, Slim Summerville, Shirley Temple.

THE ROAD BACK (1937, Universal) with John "Dusty" King, Richard Cromwell, Slim Summerville.

THE DANGER GAME (1918, Goldwyn) with Madge Kennedy and Tom Moore. Introduced by film historian Richard Koszarski

THE SEA LION (1921)

YELLOW FINGERS (1926, Fox) with Olive Borden and Ralph Ince (Courtesy of The Museum Of Modern Art)

THE SYNTHETIC SIN (1929, First National) with Colleen Moore

THE NEW KLONDIKE (1926, Paramount) with Thomas Meighan (Courtesy of the Library of Congress)

WELCOME DANGER (1929) with Harold Lloyd (the SILENT version).

Plus these special presentations:

A SONG IN THE DARK hosted by Richard Barrios

TRAILER MANIA hosted by Ray Faiola

BEST OF MOSTLY LOST hosted by Rob Stone and Rachel Parker

RARE SILENT COMEDY SHORTS FROM THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS hosted by Rob Stone and Steve Massa

RARE HAL ROACH COMEDY SHORTS hosted by Richard Bann

COLOR IN THE MOVIES hosted by Eric Grayson

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 2:56 pm

And don't forget to keep an eye on the Cinefest Facebook page.

Gagman 66

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 9:36 pm

:o Very sorry this festival is ending, but Wow, what a lineup! THE RETURN OF PETER GRIM, YELLOW FINGERS, SYNTHETIC SIN. I never heard of THE NEW KLONDIKE, but I will look it up now. The Silent version of WELCOME DANGER I hoped might be at the TCM Classic Film Festival this year.

precode

PostFri Mar 13, 2015 12:16 am

And don't forget the World Premiere of BRIDE OF FINKLESTEIN, in which Biffle & Shooster meet Max Davidson! (Plus an Academy Award-winning gorilla.) Friday night at 8:00. Miss it and the Bride will come after you!

Mike S.

Jack Theakston

PostSat Mar 14, 2015 12:59 pm

Jay Schwartz wrote:That said, I did have a Denny's meal last year -- in Rome, New York. My hotel during Capitolfest was attached to a Denny's.

Note that there are better places to eat in Rome, also.

That is an understatement. However, there are unfortunately not as many places open late night here.
J. Theakston
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Agnes

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 3:09 pm

Last minute change.

Hubby cleared my schedule, took on all the work & organization, & told me to go.

Hooray! My first & last, & I am so excited!
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Michael O'Regan

PostTue Mar 17, 2015 4:54 pm

I would love to see the Barrios presentation. Are any of these ever made available online at all?

cinefan

PostWed Mar 18, 2015 8:53 am

Does anyone have a feeling for whether there is any danger of Cinefest actually selling out this year and turning away walk-ups? According to this article:

http://www.syracusenewtimes.com/the-last-picture-show/" target="_blank" target="_blank

presales are looking to be up from 500 last year to 700. I am preregistered. However I know at least 3 people here in upstate NY considering possible last minute day trips for just Saturday. The registration materials always make mention that walk-up registrations are available unless there is a "sell-out", but in the 20 or so years I've been going I'm not aware of that ever actually happening. I'd hate to have anybody make the trip only to find they couldn't get in.

maliejandra

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 8:03 am

I had a great time at Cinefest. I missed a lot of the movies because I was too busy gabbing. I saw a lot of familiar faces from Cinevent and I hope even more of the Cinefest attendees make it out to Columbus than in years past. The shows are very similar, although Cinevent is entirely 16mm and it has many more dealers.

Usually I would not complain about digital presentations. Of course I would prefer film but it isn't a deal-breaker for me. Seeing rare stuff is more important to me. However, the digital films this year were a DISASTER, from incorrect aspect-ratios to disks stopping midway through to disks not working altogether. The Vitagraph presentation was completely different from what was listed in the program because they couldn't get the original presentation to work. I intended to see The Second Floor Mystery as it is an early Loretta Young film which is based on a book I truly enjoyed, The Agony Column, but about 10 or 15 minutes into the movie, it stopped and started over. They fiddled with the machine, fast-forwarding through to get to where it stopped and it stopped and started over again. My friends were planning to go to dinner after the movie and since I was the only one of the group watching the film and it was up in the air whether or when they would get the movie working so I cut out. I heard they did get the disk running eventually and that it was enjoyable so I'll have to track the movie down. The following day I went in to see Tess of the Storm Country and after a lengthy introduction, the movie began looking slightly squished. It ran for 5 or 10 minutes before they stopped the movie and said they were going to try to get the correct aspect ratio. After fiddling with it for a while they announced that it wasn't going to happen that night, that we should break for dinner and they would show the film at a later time. Luckily I heard the announcement and was able to see the screening. The Harold Lloyd movie was excellent, but it even had a few moments of jerkiness and stuttering that made me nervous that it too may have shut off.

For me, the highlights of the program (that I saw) were the Spanish language When the Wind Blows with the Our Gang kids and Edgar Kennedy speaking Spanish and the silent Welcome Danger. I saw more silent films than talkies which is unusual for other conventions I've been to and quite nice because of the live musical accompanyment. I also got to meet Leonard Maltin and Richard W. Bann who graciously signed my Little Rascals book. Since the Cabin Fever tapes and that book were my gateway into black and white movies in the first place, it was a real treat to thank them for inadvertantly setting me on that adventure.

Agnes

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 8:12 pm

I heard some of the folks in charge talking about the digital mistakes being due to the projector.
I asked for confirmation, and was told, yes, the digital problems were all due to a digital projector with a bad lens.

After the projector switch, the digital flix ran fine.

I tried my best to catch everything(that I could),food was quite secondary to me.
What a truly wonderful experience!
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Jim Reid

PostTue Mar 24, 2015 11:35 pm

Agnes wrote:I heard some of the folks in charge talking about the digital mistakes being due to the projector.
I asked for confirmation, and was told, yes, the digital problems were all due to a digital projector with a bad lens.

After the projector switch, the digital flix ran fine.

I tried my best to catch everything(that I could),food was quite secondary to me.
What a truly wonderful experience!

That makes no sense at all. It looked like a problem with either the player or it could be some processing equipment.

No way it could be a lens.

Gerry Orlando

PostWed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am

As President of the Syracuse Cinephile Society, I can tell you that I am not aware of anyone on our staff telling people that the digital problems were because of a bad projector lens....As Jim said, that just doesn't make sense. Certainly no attendee at Cinefest was told that by me.

The problems were ones of compatibility....Digital items being brought in by various sources on various formats that the sources had decided would be the best way to present the material (and often these formats were different from what we were expecting). Some formats worked fine with the rented digital equipment, others had problems.

BenModel

PostWed Mar 25, 2015 9:25 am

As someone who volunteered my help (and my MacBookPro and video-out adaptors which I happened to have in my backpack) to get a majority of the digital presentations up on the screen when things didn't function quite right, I can tell you the various problems had nothing to do with the lens. Digital can work very well as a presentation format, but there is always a learning curve for any venue doing a festival where the scenario is one where a variety of disc types arrive at the booth right when a festival of non-stop projection has begun. Kudos to the guys in the "booth" who made it all happen.

I'd say "we'll get it next year", but... :D

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com and get an exclusive link to watch a rare comedy short
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter and on Instagram
Silent Film Music Podcast available on iTunes

Gerry Orlando

PostWed Mar 25, 2015 10:14 am

Thanks for the further explanation, Ben....and MANY, MANY thanks for your help during the festival. You and your equipment were a big help, and we appreciate you stepping up to assist us during the digital presentations.

BenModel

PostWed Mar 25, 2015 11:16 am

Happy to help. Best of luck on your Spaghetti Warehouse series!

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com and get an exclusive link to watch a rare comedy short
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter and on Instagram
Silent Film Music Podcast available on iTunes

silentstar5

PostWed Mar 25, 2015 2:02 pm

The final Cinefest 35 was a sentimental journey. Gerry, Rick and “The Boys and Girls from Syracuse” pulled out all the stops to end the annual festival on a high note. I am told there was record breaking attendance of somewhere around 700 people registered but there was seating for everyone at all screenings and presentations.

I will leave the film lineup for others to post about in detail but my personal favorite was the first film of the weekend called Out All Night (1933) starring Zasu Pitts and Slim Summerville. Lots of laughs. I am sure that pre-code audiences understood the thermometer bit.

Gerry Orlando’s speech was wonderful. He honored all the people past and present who made Cinefest appear like a seamless event each year. Other heartfelt homages came from Richard Barrios who delighted us with a stellar, final A Song in the Dark presentation and Annette Lloyd before introducing Welcome Danger.

I didn’t attend all the special presentations but we were spoiled with riches this year. David Pierce and James Layton provided an informative presentation for The Dawn of Technicolor and were on hand to sign their new book of the same title. Keeping with the early color theme was Eric Grayson who told us about The Story Of Color In The Movies. Dick Bann came in from California and gave the laugh muscles a workout with his two Hal Roach Shows.

The legendary Leonard Maltin was on hand once again to host the auction and assist those attending with buying and selling their goodies while providing levity throughout to lighten the last day mood.

The end of a long running festival is a tremendous loss. I think it will be especially felt each March. I think about the friendships made as much as any of the other elements involved. The march of time was against us in this situation but at least the use of social media and other options will keep us connected as Gerry mentioned in his speech. I am grateful I had the experience of attending Cinefest over the years. For this I simply want to say thank you.

Unclehulot

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 10:05 am

Somehow, I found this photo from the 2000 Cinefest AMS luncheon. If anyone has a higher resolution version I'd LOVE to have it (Note: Rob McKay came to the rescue and sent me this higher quality file. Thanks!) I thought some of us who were present would enjoy seeing David Shepard amongst the crew. For me, it's a very happy memory, since it was the year I met David (as well as many of you). Sadly, I was only able to attend once more after this, due to my far too busy schedule in the spring.

Cheers,

Neal K.

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 8:48 am

Wow, a rare photo of me sans beard! (I'm in the front row wearing a grey cardigan and Little Nemo t-shirt.)

topchap

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 9:33 am

re. AMS lunch photo: What a tremendous loss, with both David and Bob represented by that tight clump of pixels just in front of the exit door. Loving that smile on David's face.
PreviousNext

Return to Silent News