The Silent Film Quarterly

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

R. Cat

Re: The Silent Film Quarterly

PostWed Sep 07, 2016 2:23 am

I re-upped my subscription after receiving #4 back in April or May. I kept thinking he'd get more annual subscriptions with a cost break for four, but I resubscribed for another year anyway. Now I'm wondering if he ran into financial difficulties and raising the price didn't alleviate it. :?:

Mark Zimmer

PostThu Sep 08, 2016 3:57 pm

Jim Roots wrote:My wife just handed me the mail and what should it include but issue 4 of The Silent Film Quarterly!

Charles' editorial ends with him looking forward to the second year of the magazine. However, there's no subscription renewal notice. Hope he's not relying on us to remember to send him our money. (Wait, let me rethink that sentence...)

Jim

I did get an email soliciting a renewal not long after I received issue 4.

drednm

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 6:41 am

Mark Zimmer wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:My wife just handed me the mail and what should it include but issue 4 of The Silent Film Quarterly!

Charles' editorial ends with him looking forward to the second year of the magazine. However, there's no subscription renewal notice. Hope he's not relying on us to remember to send him our money. (Wait, let me rethink that sentence...)

Jim

Interesting. I've never heard a peep from him.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Jim Roots

PostFri Sep 09, 2016 8:54 am

drednm wrote:
Mark Zimmer wrote:

Jim

Interesting. I've never heard a peep from him.

Ditto.

Jim

MaryGH

PostSat Sep 10, 2016 4:00 pm

His site has not been updated since January 8 - I have not yet renewed my subscription as no word on Issue 5 so far.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/650/139/ ... ent-films/

dgunning

PostSat Sep 10, 2016 8:39 pm

I got a request to renew my subscription around the same time as issue #4 arrived. I renewed immediately, but now wonder if I'll ever see another issue. The silence from Charles is not a good sign.

MaryGH

PostSun Sep 11, 2016 9:36 am

Think I've seen his Facebook profile not long ago - now he's into stamps and writing about them?

What happened to silent film?

I have nothing against stamp collecting - had a substantial collection many years ago before selling it.

But Mr. Tyler holds my attention in a different way than stamps do.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

Famous Bum

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Does anyone know how I can get a copy of Silent Film Quarterly #4 (Mabel Normand)?

bobfells

PostSat Nov 12, 2016 11:23 pm

Famous Bum wrote:Does anyone know how I can get a copy of Silent Film Quarterly #4 (Mabel Normand)?

Heck, it's November and we haven't seen the Summer issue No.5 yet.

rudyfan

PostSun Nov 13, 2016 1:38 am

I never received issue 4, sadly not renewing my subscription.

I am sure it was an anomaly, but, the 3 issues I did receive, I had to email and ask for them, I got each one long after they'd been sent to others here on N-ville.

I appreciate that Charles was kind enough to solicit me for a piece. I wish him well with the second year and beyond!

R. Cat

PostSun Nov 13, 2016 3:31 pm

MaryGH wrote:Think I've seen his Facebook profile not long ago - now he's into stamps and writing about them?

What happened to silent film?

I have nothing against stamp collecting - had a substantial collection many years ago before selling it.

But Mr. Tyler holds my attention in a different way than stamps do.

M'thinks Charles should use some of those stamps to mail out issue #5 to his subscribers. :?

Michael O'Regan

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 12:50 pm

So...is this publication now defunct?

Pathe Lehrman

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 3:30 pm

I had contacted Charles several months back with an article proposal, and he immediately and enthusiastically responded. When I sent the actual article a month later, however, not a peep from him, nor to some follow-up emails and a Facebook message. I know he is still alive and well and kicking, given that he gave a presentation on his Bebe Daniels book at the Niles Museum a few nights back, so I can only conclude that his interest in The Silent Film Quarterly has waned. I have now rescinded permission to use the article, and will shop it around elsewhere.

Tom Reeder

R. Cat

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Pathe Lehrman wrote:I had contacted Charles several months back with an article proposal, and he immediately and enthusiastically responded. When I sent the actual article a month later, however, not a peep from him, nor to some follow-up emails and a Facebook message. I know he is still alive and well and kicking, given that he gave a presentation on his Bebe Daniels book at the Niles Museum a few nights back, so I can only conclude that his interest in The Silent Film Quarterly has waned. I have now rescinded permission to use the article, and will shop it around elsewhere.

Tom Reeder

Wow, when it wanes, it's poor.

If Charles has indeed lost interest and decided to discontinue the publication, that's sad news. :(

It's especially disappointing for those who upped their subscriptions after the 4th issue. I'd presumed the next issue would come out eventually even with delays. Now that seems very unlikely. $40 is not a big deal, but ethically he should offer a refund or at least an explanation to his current TSFQ subscribers if his intentions have changed.

bobfells

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 8:05 pm

Well, I got only three issues for my subscription. I followed his FB posts and it seemed to me that Epting is a gadfly who flits from one interest to another. He apparently got bored with SFQ and, I must admit, I got bored with it too. Earlier I posted some ideas to jazz it up and previously sent these directly to Epting and offered to write for him.That was months ago and he never replied. I size him up as a rich kid who plays with projects. That can be harmless but becomes a problem when he takes people's money and doesn't deliver what they paid for.

drednm

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 8:25 pm

Pathe Lehrman wrote:I had contacted Charles several months back with an article proposal, and he immediately and enthusiastically responded. When I sent the actual article a month later, however, not a peep from him, nor to some follow-up emails and a Facebook message. I know he is still alive and well and kicking, given that he gave a presentation on his Bebe Daniels book at the Niles Museum a few nights back, so I can only conclude that his interest in The Silent Film Quarterly has waned. I have now rescinded permission to use the article, and will shop it around elsewhere.

Tom Reeder

Same. I sent an article and never heard a peep or even a poop.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

MaryGH

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 8:45 pm

Guess I was one of those who received all 4 issues for the first year's subscription.

if he has lost interest in publishing SFQ maybe he can sell it to someone else here?

It just seems like it had potential, but I guess that comes from my background in working for a B2B publisher. :P

LouieD

PostTue Nov 15, 2016 10:43 pm

So he defrauded you all out of $$$$?

Celluloid_Queen

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 1:38 am

I received Issues 1-4 but didn't re-up my subscription. I was planning on it but then it got really quiet so I decided to wait. I'd too had planned on sending an article to be potentially published but it sounds like that hasn't really worked out for many of y'all.

I think SFQ was a really neat idea that had a lot of potential and I hope it will continue on. That being said, the only way it will thrive is through contributions and by staying relevant in the community of silent film fans.

MaryGH

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 6:24 am

I never re-upped my subscription either - but like the others here, hope SFQ continues in some way. Seems a shame to see it end quickly.

R. Cat

PostWed Nov 23, 2016 5:11 pm

LouieD wrote:So he defrauded you all out of $$$$?

I don't think he set out with that intent at all. It's possible that he got in over his head and ended up with more production costs than returns on capital invested. For myself, I just think an explanation with an apology would've been nice.

Celluloid_Queen wrote:I received Issues 1-4 but didn't re-up my subscription. I was planning on it but then it got really quiet so I decided to wait. I'd too had planned on sending an article to be potentially published but it sounds like that hasn't really worked out for many of y'all.

I think SFQ was a really neat idea that had a lot of potential and I hope it will continue on. That being said, the only way it will thrive is through contributions and by staying relevant in the community of silent film fans.

You're absolutely right, a really neat idea, and I firmly believe that Charles' intentions were noble.

I received the first four issues and with issue three a solicited request for resubscription at an increased rate. Holding off until the fourth issue arrived seemed prudent, but apparently not prudent enough to avoid losing $40. :lol: After submitting payment through PayPal I've heard nothing more from Charles directly, just the speculations here.

Like a number of folks I'd considered submitting articles as time allowed. Unfortunately, this publication appears to have withered on the Hollywood & Vine.

MaryGH wrote:I never re-upped my subscription either - but like the others here, hope SFQ continues in some way. Seems a shame to see it end quickly.

I hear ya. I have no idea how large or small the silent film niche market might be, but it is a real shame. My dream publication would be one that focuses on silent film (domestic & international) while examining early pre-code talkies and sound/silent features. I'd love to see a regularly published zine that delves into the cultural impact of rapid innovation on the film industry (including technological advancement in sound delivery and technicolor) and the winners and losers (silent actors whose careers rose or plummeted with the popularity of sound).

Sorry, just fantasizing a bit.

rudyfan

PostThu Nov 24, 2016 3:22 pm

Well, I am more than happy with The Silent Treatment. It could easily be expanded if that was a direction they wanted to go. I would also kick in some $$ for Steven and Brandee's quarterly e-zine.

Having previously published the much more niche Rudolph Valentino Newsletter for about 5 years, I get the issues with cost of production and mailing. Subscriptions of $25 a year pretty much ran out after issue 2. Time constraints and life do get in the way. I ended up giving it up. Fun while it lasted, though.

silentfilm

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 12:15 pm

This looks like a one-off issue, as it is not entitled "Silent film Quarterly":

R. Cat

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 12:44 pm

silentfilm wrote:This looks like a one-off issue, as it is not entitled "Silent film Quarterly"

Interesting, Bruce. That's great. Did Charles send you a copy?

It looks like he might be filling out subscriptions with one-off SFQ Specials. If so, that works for me. I can't imagine using the zine title to promote a new publication and leaving paid SFQ subscribers hung out to dry. Hope he takes a minute and posts a follow-up to his supporters here.

Michael O'Regan

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Isn't Charles a member here? Perhaps, he could just let folk know what's happening??

drednm

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 1:13 pm

Michael O'Regan wrote:Isn't Charles a member here? Perhaps, he could just let folk know what's happening??

I think the thrill has passed.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

silentfilm

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 9:06 pm

No, he didn't send me anything. I just saw this on the Silent Film Quarterly Facebook page. I subscribed when the magazine first came out for four issues. I never got a message saying to re-subscribe, so I have not renewed my subscription.

16mm4FR

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 9:26 pm

I also subscribed but only after issue # 1 had sold out. I did receive issues 2,3, & 4, but no #5 (did ANYONE get issue #5???). It's sad when an admirable venture like this leaves its subscribers without a care. How very disappointing.

Interestingly,if anyone is still interested, issues 1 (a second edition, no less!), 2, and 3 are available at Amazon for $8 each plus shipping.

roger P

PostThu Dec 15, 2016 1:54 pm

Well, guess what came in the mail today, totally unexpected? Volume 2, Issue 1 of the Silent Film Quarterly! Mr. Epting apparently isn't done with this publication quite yet! Check your mailboxes...

R Michael Pyle

PostThu Dec 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Mine, too!
PreviousNext

Return to Silent News