The Silent Film Quarterly

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

charlesepting

Re: The Silent Film Quarterly

PostThu Nov 19, 2015 5:41 pm

roger P wrote:Many people have theirs, but I still haven't gotten mine! Everyday I go hopefully to the mailbox. Nothing. Maybe tomorrow....

It went out with everyone else's, hopefully it'll be there soon!

roger P

PostSat Nov 21, 2015 4:10 pm

Yep! Got it! Very nicely done! Thank you and keep up the good work!

MaryGH

PostSat Mar 12, 2016 10:42 am

Received issue 3 in the mail - looks great especially the one on Mr. Tyler - thank you again for including my article!
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

R. Cat

PostSat Mar 12, 2016 10:19 pm

Received my copy of #3 recently too. Excellent publication that seems to be improving with every issue. Most folks here are probably already subscribing (if not, you should be), but it can't hurt to expand outreach (mentioning SFQ on other film boards) even though sales appear to be brisk. I'm pretty sure Charles won't mind. :lol:

rudyfan

PostSun Mar 13, 2016 1:39 am

Still waiting on issue #3 here. Looking forward to it

Javier

PostSun Mar 13, 2016 4:35 pm

rudyfan wrote:Still waiting on issue #3 here. Looking forward to it

I too received mine recently, you willl enjoy this issue. As previous posters stated it has improved very much.
If anyone here on Nitrateville has not subscribed, give it a try, it is worth it.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

tguinan

PostMon Mar 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Mine just came on last Friday.

bobfells

PostWed Aug 10, 2016 10:47 pm

I thought I would revive this thread if only to ask if anybody has heard from Charles Epting recently? He hasn't posted here since late last year and ditto for his social media sites such as Facebook. I ask because I emailed him at the gmail address he lists in SFT and so far I haven't heard back. I guess we will know more in a couple of months when the next issue of SFT should be published.

drednm

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 5:22 am

bobfells wrote:I thought I would revive this thread if only to ask if anybody has heard from Charles Epting recently? He hasn't posted here since late last year and ditto for his social media sites such as Facebook. I ask because I emailed him at the gmail address he lists in SFT and so far I haven't heard back. I guess we will know more in a couple of months when the next issue of SFT should be published.

I submitted an article and haven't heard back..... probably vacationing somewhere.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

MaryGH

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 8:27 am

I already received issue #4 awhile back and was thinking of submitting another article to SFQ
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

bobfells

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 11:09 am

I too had received No. 4 Summer with Mabel Normand on the cover a couple of months ago. I emailed Charles some constructive comments for SFQ going forward. Since I haven't yet heard from him, I post them here for possible discussion:

Hello Charles,

I'm a subscriber to your wonderful mag and I have all your issues except the first. I've been meaning to write you but I have noticed that there's no shortage of people who are singing your praises. It's nice when people compliment your work and I certainly join in the chorus.

Creatively, I want to play the devil's advocate because I sense (and maybe it's just me) a growing sense of ennui as I read each issue. So I ask myself what's wrong? The vintage articles you reprint are terrific even though we suspect that most were ghostwritten for the celebrity author. Then there are the new articles that are written for SFQ. Those too are interesting. So what's my problem? I find my reactions to everything invariably stay at the "interesting" level. George Arliss wrote that when he opened in a new play and his friends came backstage afterwards to congratulate him, he could tell if the play would hit or flop. If they said the play was "interesting" he knew it wasn't going to be very successful. I sort of feel that way about SFQ.

If you are still reading this then I can tell you that the good news is that I never criticize unless I can make a suggestion to help. In the case of SFQ, I think the difficulty is that none of the material challenges the reader to think or to beg to differ. For example, a typical SFQ article might be called "The Wonderful Films of Charlie Chaplin" and would be a nice appreciation of his classic films (yawn). But how about a different perspective such as "Chaplin or Keaton: Who's Number 1?"

Another example: "Rudolph Valentino: Pink Powder Puff." This was actually a name that a newspaper reporter called him around 1924. Such an article would recount this incident and, hopefully, show it was a bum rap. It might also explain why the reporter called Rudy that in the first place. I could go on with related topics:
How D.W. Griffith Ruined His Brand
Clara Bow Gets Fired for Too Much "It"
The Tragedy of Martha Mansfield
Donald Crisp: Even the Moguls Feared Him
Doug Fairbanks's Yes Men
Buster Keaton's Inevitable Decline

You get my idea. I assume you depend on volunteer authors but if you throw out some of these titles on social media I bet you'd have some takers, including me. The articles would be somewhat edgy but more importantly, they would likely generate responses - letters to the editor or even rebuttal articles. Anyway, that's my two cents.

Best regards,
Bob

dgunning

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 9:33 pm

I received two copies of issue 4, wrote Charles to inform him of that, and never received a response.

NotSoSilent

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 7:07 am

Charles has a reputation for not replying to messages and requests. I sent him a PM a while ago encouraging him to respond to postings here, stressing that this board is made up of his target audience. It helped for a little while and then he disappeared again. I also emailed him after reading about the silent film playing cards he was putting together, asking how I could buy a set. Nothing.

I give this guy credit for what he has done. At a young age he has put together a nice product, and his love and appreciation for silent films is admirable. I just wonder if he has gotten himself in a little over his head and stretched himself too thin. I also started noticing more typos and errors in each issue, leading to a decision not to renew my subscription. Then again, there wasn't a renewal solicitation anyway, so maybe retaining or growing his subscribers isn't really important. Hard to tell.

I am not bashing this guy, nor am I a "hater," I just find it frustrating that he started something a lot of us appreciate, but has made it difficult for us to support. We have proven over and over again when we like something we back it with our time, efforts, and dollars.

I am still impressed with what he has done, and glad I (tried) to support his efforts, but it's time to move on. I have often thought how exciting it would be if this product ended-up in somebody's hands who had the time and expertise to really make something of it.

WaverBoy

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 8:04 am

C'mon guys, I think it's just a bit too early to write him off. Also, contrary to assertions in this thread, he's been active on his SFQ FB page as late as last month:

https://www.facebook.com/silentfilmquarterly/

bobfells

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 9:23 am

WaverBoy wrote:C'mon guys, I think it's just a bit too early to write him off. Also, contrary to assertions in this thread, he's been active on his SFQ FB page as late as last month:

https://www.facebook.com/silentfilmquarterly/" target="_blank

I agree and I for one am not "writing him off." But given his tender years Charles needs to learn about customer support. He posts on his FB page only when he selling something. Not good. After reading three issues of SFQ I never realized how boring silent films could be when writing about them. The magazine needs a new focus and that's why I tried to contact Charles but so far to no avail. My guess, and I hope I am proved wrong, is that Charles is an energetic fellow who flits from one project to the next when he gets bored. The irony here is that launching a print magazine is this age of digital is bold and here we all are an eager audience trying to support that project but the fellow is MIA.

Jim Roots

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 1:33 pm

bobfells wrote:
WaverBoy wrote:C'mon guys, I think it's just a bit too early to write him off. Also, contrary to assertions in this thread, he's been active on his SFQ FB page as late as last month:

https://www.facebook.com/silentfilmquarterly/" target="_blank" target="_blank

I agree and I for one am not "writing him off." But given his tender years Charles needs to learn about customer support. He posts on his FB page only when he selling something. Not good. After reading three issues of SFQ I never realized how boring silent films could be when writing about them. The magazine needs a new focus and that's why I tried to contact Charles but so far to no avail. My guess, and I hope I am proved wrong, is that Charles is an energetic fellow who flits from one project to the next when he gets bored. The irony here is that launching a print magazine is this age of digital is bold and here we all are an eager audience trying to support that project but the fellow is MIA.

Bob, time for you to take it over. And publish it in hardcover, as per your posting on Barnes and Noble.

I'm not chaffing you. I'm serious. Your message to Charles shows you already have depth and breadth of vision for the contents, and your B&N posting shows you are up on the tech side of things as well. So the possibility should be intriguing.

Jim

bobfells

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 3:30 pm

Jim Roots: "Bob, time for you to take it over. And publish it in hardcover, as per your posting on Barnes and Noble.
I'm not chaffing you. I'm serious. Your message to Charles shows you already have depth and breadth of vision for the contents, and your B&N posting shows you are up on the tech side of things as well. So the possibility should be intriguing.
Jim"

Well Jim, I really have given such things a lot of thought - among many other subjects. There's no denying that launching a print periodical about silent films on a paid subscription basis is a gutsy move. To succeed at all it would have to be a labor of love with a financial goal of covering expenses and not even hoping for a profit. As if these considerations were not challenging enough, the content must engage readers to the extent of generating comments, perhaps leading to more articles and essays. Frankly, I've thought of tackling such a project but with my writing two or three books each year, the daily work on my two FB groups, plus updating my two Wordpress blogs, and working a full time job, I might have to defer such a project to my retirement years. In the meantime, I've been impressed with Charles Epting's energy and productivity but we seem to have entered the next phase - is there a commitment?

Jim Roots

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 12:20 pm

My wife just handed me the mail and what should it include but issue 4 of The Silent Film Quarterly!

Charles' editorial ends with him looking forward to the second year of the magazine. However, there's no subscription renewal notice. Hope he's not relying on us to remember to send him our money. (Wait, let me rethink that sentence...)

Jim

ajabrams

PostWed Aug 31, 2016 1:32 pm

There is an option on the magazine's homepage to subscibe to issues #5 - #8.
silentfilmquarterly.com - pulldown menu "subscribe to sfq"

Michael O'Regan

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 11:26 am

Yes, I received Issue 4 a couple days ago. Excellent.

bobfells

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 4:11 pm

I received No. 4, titled "Summer," about two or three months ago. Bebe Daniels is on the cover. Are you referring to a different No. 4 that you just received?

drednm

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 8:00 pm

bobfells wrote:I received No. 4, titled "Summer," about two or three months ago. Bebe Daniels is on the cover. Are you referring to a different No. 4 that you just received?

Same here....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Donald Binks

PostFri Sep 02, 2016 8:36 pm

bobfells wrote:I received No. 4, titled "Summer," about two or three months ago. Bebe Daniels is on the cover. Are you referring to a different No. 4 that you just received?

Mr. O'Regan lives in the U.K., so his copy may have been dispatched via the Empire Dirigible Service?
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I was in love with a beautiful blonde one time. She led me to drink. It's the only thing I'm thankful to her for."

wich2

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 10:30 am

Not by way of HMRN?

Jim Roots

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 12:57 pm

That ain't no Bebe Daniels on the cover, it's Mabel Normand.

Issue 1 has Lillian Gish on the cover. Issue 2 has Esther Ralston and Richard Arlen. Issue 3 has Mr. Langdon. Issue 4 has Mabel.

Jim

bobfells

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 1:26 pm

Jim Roots wrote:That ain't no Bebe Daniels on the cover, it's Mabel Normand.
Issue 1 has Lillian Gish on the cover. Issue 2 has Esther Ralston and Richard Arlen. Issue 3 has Mr. Langdon. Issue 4 has Mabel.
Jim

My error - a thousand lashes at least! The point still goes - this is the one and only No.4 that came out in late spring.

Jim Roots

PostSat Sep 03, 2016 5:50 pm

bobfells wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:That ain't no Bebe Daniels on the cover, it's Mabel Normand.
Jim

My error - a thousand lashes at least! The point still goes - this is the one and only No.4 that came out in late spring.

Correct, and it is designated the summer issue.

The mysteries of Epting...

Jim

rudyfan

PostMon Sep 05, 2016 11:46 am

Michael O'Regan wrote:Yes, I received Issue 4 a couple days ago. Excellent.

Never received issue 4, sadly.

Having previously publshed the Valentino Newsletter, I know how time consuming it is to produce juggling the rest of your life. Particularly if you are essentially a one-man-band. I hope that the SFQ continues, it's a great idea.

Michael O'Regan

PostMon Sep 05, 2016 11:52 am

Yep, my No 4 has Mabel on the cover...well, that took a while getting to me. Am I still correct in assuming that there's no surface mail from the US to UK anymore?

Jim Roots

PostMon Sep 05, 2016 12:14 pm

Michael O'Regan wrote:Yep, my No 4 has Mabel on the cover...well, that took a while getting to me. Am I still correct in assuming that there's no surface mail from the US to UK anymore?

The rowboat sprang a leak.

Jim
PreviousNext

Return to Silent News