The Scanning and Restoration of PICTURELAND Logbook.

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Silencebound

The Scanning and Restoration of PICTURELAND Logbook.

PostFri Aug 14, 2015 5:22 am

This is the special informative column and topic reports in this main Nitrateville section 'Silent News' aiming for Nitratevillers to learn and awareness about the in-depth production of scanning, cropping and restoration of the long-awaiting special Mary Pickford long-lost 35mm short film classic "PICTURELAND" ( USA - 1911 - 10 mins ). As this column is the main reason for not letting Nitratevillers being frustrated by waiting too long to have this project fully finished by 'so-called' off-limit policy. Before commance to write my first article about the production work of 'PICTURELAND' here, I must finish the final production stage of "Les Suicides Par Persuasion" firstly by late next week due to currently restoring the frames of that nearly-seven minutes 1914 short film classic. :?
By the way, if anyone feels to give some brief comments or related topics about my hard-labour commitment on PICTURELAND, then please do it here if you like to. Thanks. Silencebound. :)
Please click this URL https://www.facebook.com/Silencebound1/ and become a new member to get instant informations and resourced topics.

FrankFay

Re: The Scanning and Restoration of PICTURELAND Logbook.

PostFri Aug 14, 2015 6:32 am

Has it been determined that Pickford is even IN this film?
Eric Stott

Silencebound

PostSat Aug 15, 2015 3:46 am

Well, I'm really hoping that she is IN it, as I will scan all the frames to detect her somewhere in the certain spot. If she has been finally appeared in it then I will post the discovered frame of Mary Pickford and posted it here immediately ! :o
Please click this URL https://www.facebook.com/Silencebound1/ and become a new member to get instant informations and resourced topics.

Gene Zonarich

PostSat Aug 15, 2015 2:23 pm

Silencebound wrote:Well, I'm really hoping that she is IN it, as I will scan all the frames to detect her somewhere in the certain spot. If she has been finally appeared in it then I will post the discovered frame of Mary Pickford and posted it here immediately ! :o

Silencebound,
Christel Schmidt, Pickford historian and author of Mary Pickford: Queen of the Movies (2012), has noted that it is likely that Pickford appeared in Pictureland, but it may only have been in the "introductory" scenes of the film. She cites a synopsis of the film in The Moving Picture News, Feb. 11, 1911 that describes the opening scenes of Pictureland that apparently show the arrival of the IMP company in Cuba. She may not have appeared in the "story" that comprised the main part of the film. Here is the original article from 1911, which appeared opposite the page with the photo of the IMP company that we discussed in the earlier thread on your discovery of Pictureland:

http://archive.org/stream/movingpicture ... 3/mode/2up" target="_blank" target="_blank
I’m the King of the silent pictures -- I’m hidin’ out ‘til talkies blow over!” ~ Mickey One
Continue the conversation at "11 East 14th St":
http://11east14thstreet.com/" target="_blank

Silencebound

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 6:06 pm

Now I'm thinking for a very special reason to helps you all to avoid the damnin' overlong waiting time for this fantastic project, as I am going to work this one :- Scanning and Uploading the first 'opening' complete scene shot of "PICTURELAND". I knew that the whole reel with 30+ scenes cuts might gives me a hellva lots of time to finished it BUT only this one scene would be of better advantage presentation possible. :)

This pix will takes me about few days to have it done and uploading it here via YouTube, due about before the end of this month but it will be shown in unrestored version only. 1080p video version is absolutely no problem as usual. Well, as you all already know, I have to finish restoring 'Les Suicides Par Persuasion' which is in the final stage first.
If you are happy at my gift offering of this proposal, please give me a beautifully green light ! TA. :D

Michael Arlt

PostFri Aug 21, 2015 8:20 pm

Congratulations.

You just made it to the "presumed lost" list on Silent Era :D .

Information on the status of films previously listed here as lost:
An incomplete print of Pictureland (1911) with Mary Pickford has surfaced in Australia. / The Grim Game (1919) survived in the collection of Houdini collector Larry Weeks. / Sherlock Holmes (1916) has been recovered in a French language print.

Silencebound

PostSat Aug 22, 2015 12:59 am

Michael Arlt wrote:Congratulations.

You just made it to the "presumed lost" list on Silent Era :D .

Information on the status of films previously listed here as lost:
An incomplete print of Pictureland (1911) with Mary Pickford has surfaced in Australia. / The Grim Game (1919) survived in the collection of Houdini collector Larry Weeks. / Sherlock Holmes (1916) has been recovered in a French language print.

Yes, I have glimpsed at it. But the director's name isn't being updated there yet ?!? Well, thanks for mentioning it. :)

Silencebound

PostMon Aug 31, 2015 6:06 am

PICTURELAND is to begin scanning tomorrow - Tuesday 1st September, 2015 ! :D I will type down the day-by-day listing on how many frames that I've scanned per day. Rough about 150-200 frames per days if I'm going good, otherwise 250 frames per day would be great if I have my chance to do that on margin time allowance. :)

Silencebound

PostSun Sep 06, 2015 1:52 am

Here come the lost film classic PICTURELAND in unrestored version only of more than 600 frames running at 16.75 f.p.s.. This one took me about six days on scanning and cropping 'em up and uploaded the 1080p video at YouTube as it has finally arrived to hittin' here for you to see it. But it is not finished yet at 34 seconds long. So, enjoy it now ! :D

Last edited by Silencebound on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silencebound

PostWed Sep 09, 2015 1:53 am

After overpassed 1,000 frames ( now 1,034 ) that nearly killed me ! That's why there is a little problem when running the first 601 frames ( see it above, uploaded few days ago ) after rotated it with the levelness of the whole picture at far left and far right of the sided sprocket holes which I've done it well but it looks bit 'unstabled' with seemingly shaky side of the screen at right which WASN'T connected to 'correct-levelled' sprocket holes that matched the firm line to recorded the frame - as the left area is actually fully-firmed but at right side . . . as you can see it quite clearly. The Video Stabilizer doesn't came off good, either. It needs more work, for christssake ! Well, the scratches and dents on frame pixs isn't the issue, I presumably that. I think that the WITHIN picture frame at far left and far right needs rotation at best but very hard to spot the right area before rotating the picture. Only sprocket holes does helps. By the way, I'm entering the first intertitle 'OFF TO WORK' to scan it all after passed first two exterior scenes. Previously on rotation, the 22nd film project "Les Suicides Par Persuasion" went off superb best with very steady picture levelness, but this one isn't ! I'm guessin' that it is 1911 film transferred stock underwent some problems as my ability on rotation job needing more revamping as quickly as possible. :(

Silencebound

PostThu Oct 01, 2015 11:44 pm

My apologizes for posting this new topic few weeks' apart from my previous commentary posted here, above. Okay, here's the new demonstration video titled 'The Scanning Production of "PICTURELAND"'', after scanned more than 2,400 pixs lately. The video also have CC subtitles explaining about the discovery and scanning of the 1911 short film. Now, I have to go and continuing with the scanning task. Enjoy ! :D

Silencebound

PostMon Oct 12, 2015 11:31 pm

Up to date, I have overpassed 3,400 scanned pixs off Epson and the 'unrestored' finished-cropped first three scene shots ( of 1,099 pixs at exact 66 seconds long ) as it only runs in motion at 16.75 fps as the actors is walking almost natural as usual without have putting it in 20 fps. The preview running test looks very good with very slight wobbling picture due to aging of the film stock. I think that the full-finished film of PICTURELAND probably be over 12 minutes long, not 10 mins as Imdb and other sources' sites has suggested. Just wait and have my saying on the final scanning production at few month's away, to concluded the actual length time at solid 16.75 fps. :)

alvisrocks

PostTue Oct 13, 2015 10:40 pm

Thanks SilenceBound, just wanted you to know I've followed your story and am fascinated- such a great labor of love! Looking forward to the final product.

Silencebound

PostSat Oct 31, 2015 8:12 pm

Thanks, alvisrocks ! Okay, I've overpassed 4,700 frames with the scanned frames of the Fourth Intertitle, 'THE SAME EVENING' toward 4,761th frame. There have two scene shots that was filmed over approximately one minute long featuring Pablo and Rosita doing their cue stance at 1,342 frames long with one or two cement-splices thereon. The other long shot is the coming of a Tourist with his horse as he was being offered a glass of beer while mounting on it. That shot scanned 1,298 frames with one c/s. Only the Fourth intertitle have 64 frames long. The exterior scene shows rather sort of bit hazy surrounding as the frame-to-frame pictures have bit different visual lighting. The cameraman should have the lighting shutter be adjusted-up to 1/2 to 1 stop. Beside that, don't blame me for any scanning fault that showed with the 'flickin' image' when projected on screen, for instance, as the entire reel of the film is fully scanned as normally without lighting and colourness adjustment of any next frames in between as that my VueScan software is perfectly fine, so no question asked about that matter. :o Now, I'm pulling this project off for a week, for the coming of my 26th L35NFF that will be done immediately with around 500-600 frames. Stay tuned, mates. :)

martin arias

PostSun Nov 01, 2015 8:37 am

Where is #23, Robert?

Tastypotpie

PostSun Nov 01, 2015 9:57 am

Just out of curiosity....once you're done scanning a film....what do you do with them? Donate them to an archive? Just have them sit around your house?

Silencebound

PostSun Nov 01, 2015 3:55 pm

martin arias wrote:Where is #23, Robert?

As what I've mentioned about that number earlier from my other topics around here, the # 23 of 'PICTURELAND' is not being released yet but will surely let you know at once after when it is fully completed. It will be about few months' away especially it might be loose at end of this year or, most likely, early next year at least. :?

Silencebound

PostSun Nov 01, 2015 3:56 pm

Tastypotpie wrote:Just out of curiosity....once you're done scanning a film....what do you do with them? Donate them to an archive? Just have them sit around your house?

It will then be send to NFSA in Canberra.

Silencebound

PostSat Nov 14, 2015 3:42 am

Just passed to 6,040 frames at the latest, after made two-days off from scanning task for my 27th Wedding Anniversary with my wife at Melbourne. On scanning job, it looks so good there. I have been wondering how to ante-up my time frame on scanning task especially on the speed scan effect but nothing news has came to me just yet, although I'm continuing on it at two-minutes-per-frame, like as always . . . That is killing me but always still being determined along with the fantastic work ever performed. Let's see this one which is at it's 6,000th scanned frame :-

The 6,000th Scanned Frame, as the tourist is putting his hat on the wooden seat while Rosita is looking on at him.

While I'm scanning that scene of approximately first 1,000 frames, about 400 or 500 frames has damaged sprocket punched holes on the film celluloid all through-out ( which you probably notice at some of it at near right, shown at top of white house near the roof ) as it is not really difficult to restore it but probably will have to leave some on it if the restoration time proved too much time to complete it all. That frame came from the fourth 100ft roll as it is nearly finished but more 100' rolls are coming . . . :?

Darren Nemeth

PostSun Nov 15, 2015 9:38 pm

Great work.

Because of you I am going to start scanning some of my shorter fragments. Just installed the software and drivers for the scanner into the new PC. Work area is going to be arranged tomorrow. Work commences after Thanksgiving. :)

Silencebound

PostMon Nov 16, 2015 8:16 pm

Darren Nemeth wrote:Great work.

Because of you I am going to start scanning some of my shorter fragments. Just installed the software and drivers for the scanner into the new PC. Work area is going to be arranged tomorrow. Work commences after Thanksgiving. :)

Fantastic and excellent way on your introduction to scanning job, Darren ! It is bit quite easy to do it with the flatbed hardware that connects with VueScan software, the best app ever offered as the original 'Set-Up' CD software provided doesn't required - Only VueScan is positively better which can be downloaded at small fee and connected to your scanner. What sort of scanner do you have ? If anything is needed which I'd love to help you, then please PM me for further details. :D Well, I just can't wait to see your finished work being uploaded at YouTube ! Please remember, lost fragments in it's whole roll with few frames scanned to be photographed and posted here ( best if posted at 'Collecting and Preservation' column ) for information to us, the concerning Nitratevillers, to check it out whether if it is actually a lost film or not. :)

Darren Nemeth

PostTue Nov 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Silencebound wrote: Fantastic and excellent way on your introduction to scanning job, Darren ! It is bit quite easy to do it with the flatbed hardware that connects with VueScan software, the best app ever offered as the original 'Set-Up' CD software provided doesn't required - Only VueScan is positively better which can be downloaded at small fee and connected to your scanner. What sort of scanner do you have ? If anything is needed which I'd love to help you, then please PM me for further details. :D Well, I just can't wait to see your finished work being uploaded at YouTube ! Please remember, lost fragments in it's whole roll with few frames scanned to be photographed and posted here ( best if posted at 'Collecting and Preservation' column ) for information to us, the concerning Nitratevillers, to check it out whether if it is actually a lost film or not. :)

Here is my first attempt. The existing 7 frames from a lost film from 1904. "Dog and Rats".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2DqiPmuolo

I have a Canonscan scanner.

There is a film from the 1900s I have that is in very brittle shape. I will start on that one next. Likely sometime this week.

Darren Nemeth

PostFri Nov 20, 2015 12:02 am

Silencebound wrote:
Darren Nemeth wrote:Great work.

Fantastic and excellent way on your introduction to scanning job, Darren ! It is bit quite easy to do it with the flatbed hardware that connects with VueScan software, the best app ever offered as the original 'Set-Up' CD software provided doesn't required - Only VueScan is positively better which can be downloaded at small fee and connected to your scanner. What sort of scanner do you have ? If anything is needed which I'd love to help you, then please PM me for further details. :D Well, I just can't wait to see your finished work being uploaded at YouTube ! Please remember, lost fragments in it's whole roll with few frames scanned to be photographed and posted here ( best if posted at 'Collecting and Preservation' column ) for information to us, the concerning Nitratevillers, to check it out whether if it is actually a lost film or not. :)

I am going to start on my most delicate print as soon as I can find a free software like Windows MovieMaker. I believe this fragment to be from the early 1910s or earlier.

My computer is a couple of months old with two solid state hard drives and a RAID drive. More than enough to handle the job.

This print is so brittle it no longer bends. It breaks!! :P

Last edited by Darren Nemeth on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darren Nemeth

PostFri Nov 20, 2015 12:11 am

Silencebound

PostWed Nov 25, 2015 3:59 am

That's awesome, Darren ! Can you reconstructes this film strips altogether ?? If become worry at this situation, then I strongly suggest you to visit at other column which I have set-up and wrote the basic information called "The Information Tools of Reconstruction and Restoration" column that I create it which can be found at 'Collecting and Perservation' section of this site. It is much better way to gives the infos from there rather than being supplied it here as this column is good only for my film 'Pictureland' on the scanning production. Now I've overpassed 6,400 frames but got few days' off. Your extend infos can be answered from there. :)

Darren Nemeth

PostFri Nov 27, 2015 7:17 am

Silencebound wrote:That's awesome, Darren ! Can you reconstructes this film strips altogether ?? If become worry at this situation, then I strongly suggest you to visit at other column which I have set-up and wrote the basic information called "The Information Tools of Reconstruction and Restoration" column that I create it which can be found at 'Collecting and Perservation' section of this site. It is much better way to gives the infos from there rather than being supplied it here as this column is good only for my film 'Pictureland' on the scanning production. Now I've overpassed 6,400 frames but got few days' off. Your extend infos can be answered from there. :)

Going to start this week.

First thing is to find the right order of the fragments. The film is very brittle. No use in trying to splice it.

Question: what dpi do you do your scanning at?

Darren Nemeth

PostFri Nov 27, 2015 9:19 pm

My first attempt at scanning a frame is below.

What DPI do you suggest I scan at and what file format? With TIFF at 2400dpi I am getting frame files at over 40 mega bites.

Looks like I will have a lot of thinking to do to get this 1080p ready.

Any help is great!

Silencebound

PostSat Nov 28, 2015 1:46 am

Oh, great ! Your first outgoing attempt on this wonder job, Darren ! So, please visit my new commentary on scanning adjustment that you are seeking for is at 'The Information Tools of Reconstruction and Restoration' column in 'Collecting and Preservation' section. :)

Silencebound

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 5:25 pm

The scanning has passed over at 6,447 frames after finished the fourth roll of 'PICTURELAND'. Well, not much to say about it as I have been pulled-out of this task for bit over three weeks due to a minor issue on my Epson scanner's flatbed glass being mounted in it. When scanning the fifth roll of 'PICTURELAND' of the first 16 frames, then I noticed at the very smallest ( seemingly barely ) scratch on it. I had tried to remove it by glass shine cleaner 'Mr Sheen' but almost at no avail. That generally annoyed me as the scanning of further frames remaining gave me some bad feelings, then I have decided to modify the glass to make it maximum 100% scratch-free type element, but how by ?? :? Ho, Zowie ! I found a best solution ! I needed the glass to be fully replaced with new one with '35mm film-size' hole being drilled which was done by Splashback Factory, the glass specialist. They have done it at 40mm x 40mm hole at first attempt but I wasn't awared that it needing bit more modification - increased to 50mm x 50mm diameter which it can be fixed right on the 35mm film frame. If that it is, then the scanning and JPEG pix result will be 100% scratch-free that I'm aftering for. I want it to be redone and currently awaiting for the outcome of the finished item for my long-delay work on scanning job. Normally, I usually wipe-clean the Epson's flatbed glass with a big soft 'glasses' cloth to remove the unexpected dirts and dusts being drained at the glass of the film frame area section AT every 20 scanned frames, to gives the magically bright image ever presented. But I'm no longer using that way after when my new 34cm X 25cm replacement glass with big drilled hole is fully done very sooner. Hopefully, it will give me more time on scanning task rather than pausing it again at every 20 frames to wipe out the unwelcomed dusts on the seemingly old-ripe glass which is about 15 years old ! :o Well, I have cropped out the first 1,973 frames and tested it by Windows Movie Maker to demonstrates that the film of Pictureland is running almost smoothly but quite superb at nearly two minutes at 16:75 fps. Looks so beautifully done, therefore I just don't want to let you waiting too long for it to come out near you ! :D

Silencebound

PostMon Dec 28, 2015 8:08 pm

I've overpassed frame counting at 7,500 pixs but, sorry to say, I gotta six days-off at this moment. I really guessing that someone from Nitrateville probably gain bit kinda of acceptance feeling 'cause it is a Christmas week period, nonethelessly. Well, my wife is pushin' me to take her out to shopping, losing my day on scanning task. That's it. Hopefully, the completion of scanning frames will be on around mid-March, '16. Yeah, there will be the grand video of me racing toward the final frame scanning of "Pictureland" to yippie-out my many-months' long at that 13,000 frames (?) bedlam, which will be posted here. :)
Next

Return to Silent News