The Charlie Chaplin Archives - Blatant Book Plug

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

PaulDuncan

The Charlie Chaplin Archives - Blatant Book Plug

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 7:14 am

Some months ago, you all helped me plug some info gaps for The Charlie Chaplin Archives, so I thought it would appropriate for me to return the plug. And here it is:

The Charlie Chaplin Archives, published by TASCHEN is out now in the UK and Europe, and is due in the US within the next couple of weeks. You can find out more at the TASCHEN website, which includes images, and a short film about the printing of the book. BTW the b&w images are printed with a special ink that gives a silvery finish.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/film_music/all/01119/facts.the_charlie_chaplin_archives.htm

The book has already generated some fabulous advance reviews, which is encouraging.

To generate interest in the general press, I'm currently trying to place some articles on The Professor - I have the whole story on why this was made, the storyline/intertitles, and why it was never released - and the full story of the Chaplin/Keaton routine in Limelight, which was called "Concerto in Z Minor", and Keaton played "Ignor Piddleofsky." I'll let you know if they are published.

best
-paul

Smari1989

Re: The Charlie Chaplin Archives - Blatant Book Plug

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 12:03 pm

Just bought it. It probably means I'll have to live exclusively on oatmeal for the next month, but I felt just confident enough I won't regret it.

JFK

Click Image: Pre-Order 36% Off While Offer Lasts

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 12:17 pm

Within a year of arriving in Hollywood in 1914, British-born Charlie Chaplin had become the slapstick king of America. By the end of his second year on the silver screen, Chaplin's fame had spread worldwide. He was the first international film star and rapidly one of the richest men in the world, with a million dollar contract, his own studio and his stock company of close collaborators. From Alaska to Zimbabwe, the bowler hat, cane, baggy trousers and outsized shoes of the Tramp became, and remains, an instantly recognizable silhouette.

With unrestricted access to the Chaplin archives, TASCHEN presents the ultimate book on the making of every one of his films. With 900 images, including stills, memos, storyboards and on-set photos, as well as interviews with Chaplin and his closest collaborators, it reveals the process behind the Chaplin genius, from the impromptu invention of early shots to the meticulous retakes and reworking of scenes and gags in his classic movies: The Kid (1921), The Gold Rush (1925), The Circus (1928), City Lights (1931), Modern Times (1936), and the provocative Hitler parody The Great Dictator (1940).

The book includes:
The entire Chaplin life history in words and pictures
900 images including many previously unseen stills, on-set photos, memos, documents, storyboards, posters, and designs, plus scripts and images for unmade films
An oral history, told from the point of view of Chaplin himself, drawing upon his extensive writings, many of which have never been reprinted before.
Supplementary interviews with some of his closest collaborators.
Material from over 150 books of press clippings in Chaplin's archives, which range from his early days in music halls to his death
Chaplin's short films, from Making a Living (1914) to The Pilgrim (1923), as well as all of his feature-length movies, from The Kid (1921) to A Countess from Hong Kong (1967)
The first print run of 10,000 copies includes a precious 12 frame strip from City Lights (1931), cut from a 35 mm print in Chaplin’s archives.

“…an astounding piece of work, even by TASCHEN’s lofty standards.”
— Empire Magazine, London

JonathanJ

PostThu Sep 03, 2015 6:09 pm

Removed
Last edited by JonathanJ on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigshot

PostFri Sep 04, 2015 5:34 pm

I've been resisting this because of the price... and because I couldn't care less about a strip of film. But I crumbled. Taschen always does good books. I'll trust them on this one.

PaulDuncan

PostTue Sep 08, 2015 3:20 am

Smari1989 wrote:Just bought it. It probably means I'll have to live exclusively on oatmeal for the next month, but I felt just confident enough I won't regret it.

Or you could live on buckwheat pancakes a la Chaplin...

I'll be excited to hear what you think of the book when you have had time to digest it. (Not that I'm suggesting you eat the book.)

best
-paul

JonathanJ

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 8:50 pm

Fixed. Removed, entirely
Last edited by JonathanJ on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Brent

PostSun Sep 13, 2015 4:30 pm

"...impressively bound, everything is just Beautiful, thick paper, impressively bound..."

So Jonathan, is it impressively bound or not? :wink:
Brenton Film: The past, present and future of silent film
BrentonFilm.com
Twitter.com/BrentonFilm
Facebook.com/BrentonFilm

Smari1989

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 4:35 am

I received the book yesterday. It was quite a struggle getting the huge (and I mean huge - did I say huge?) thing home from the post office, in the midst of a considerable rainfall, but of course it proved to be worth it. The book looks stunning, to say the least, as I browsed through it. So many pictures I've never seen before; among them an early shot of Chaplin's mother Hannah (we're all used to seeing the portrait included in Chaplin's memoirs and one or two from her last years). Well worth the money, though I do have to live on oatmeal for the next few weeks now. :P

bigshot

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 2:42 pm

My copy arrived from Amazon today. I got number 336. It's a beautiful book. Perfect balance of text to pictures and the pictures are reproduced large enough to really appreciate them. I was on the fence about this book, but now that I've seen it, I am really glad I ordered it. I just need to figure out how to balance the darn thing in my lap so I can read it. I have a feeling I'll have to read it on the dinner table.
Last edited by bigshot on Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigshot

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 2:43 pm

Oh! ...and it's impressively bound!

R Michael Pyle

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 3:04 pm

Just ordered mine. With shipping and tax - just so anyone who doesn't understand can know - total was $146.18. Looks as if it's well worth it - for those who can afford it. Look at this way, too. In five years one can sell the book (if one is so purposefully inclined) for about $500! Now, Paul, I'm not implying anything, just making a point :D . I'm really looking forward to reading and looking at the book! According to Amazon, the book weighs 14.4 lbs. Is this correct????!!!!

bigshot

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 5:06 pm

Yes, I wouldn't recommend dropping it on small animals.

PaulDuncan

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Smari1989 wrote:So many pictures I've never seen before; among them an early shot of Chaplin's mother Hannah

Yes, there are a lot of pix I have never seen in print before, including some from Keystone. Also, just before we went to print the Manoir in Vevey was being cleared out in preparation for conversion for Chaplin's World and they found this new pic of Hannah in what looks like her stage costume. I'm very happy that we could present it in the book.
best
-paul

PaulDuncan

PostWed Sep 16, 2015 6:16 pm

R Michael Pyle wrote:According to Amazon, the book weighs 14.4 lbs. Is this correct????!!!!

I think it's more like 14lbs. The book comes in its own box, and there will be packaging around that, so maybe that accounts for the extra .4. It's impressively bound, I'm told.
best
-paul

bigshot

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 12:25 pm

I have to say, the silver sheen over the photos is very odd. I've never seen anything like that before. I find myself looking at the reflections on the pages a lot, especially with the sepia toned images. I imagine I'll get used to it once the novelty wears off.

Also, from the publicity photos, I thought it was some sort of cloth binding. I didn't realize the binding was going to be like a giant gold brick. IMPRESSIVE!

Bob Furem

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 2:31 pm

Got mine Tuesday. Ordered it a year ago. Scared to even open the darned thing. It is my project for the weekend.

MattBarry

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 3:13 pm

What a trove of information! This is a must-buy for me.

An odd question, perhaps, but does the book include information about production records/call sheets detailing full cast and crew members involved in the making of the films? These are materials from the Chaplin archives that I've always been interested in seeing.
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

bigshot

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 6:35 pm

The endpapers of the book are call sheets!

PaulDuncan

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 6:40 pm

bigshot wrote:The endpapers of the book are call sheets!

Actually, they are the crossplot for Monsieur Verdoux - then called A Comedy of Murders - that shows which actors are required on which day, and which scene is to be shot each day.
best
-paul

PaulDuncan

PostThu Sep 17, 2015 6:48 pm

MattBarry wrote:An odd question, perhaps, but does the book include information about production records/call sheets detailing full cast and crew members involved in the making of the films? These are materials from the Chaplin archives that I've always been interested in seeing.

The book contains reproductions of contracts, story notes (handwritten and typed), call sheets (who is required where), daily production reports (which scenes were shot), register of scenes (a record of the action of each take), telegrams, letters (handwritten and typed), storyboards, production designs, and even a production budget. As big as the book is, I could not include all the documents for all of the films - to do that I would have needed a book for EACH of the films. However, I did use the materials to name actors in the movies, and to solve some mysteries - for example, the name of the actor who played Chaplin's double in The Idle Class.
best
-paul

tthacker

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 5:31 am

Got my copy last night and have to say it is quite a spectacular book. Unfortunately, the weight of it took a toll on my shoulder, so I won't be able to get around to seriously going through it until the numbness in my arm subsides (that's my second movie related injury this month). Never thought I would own a book heavier than the Mario Bava bio!

PaulDuncan

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 7:59 am

tthacker wrote:Unfortunately, the weight of it took a toll on my shoulder, so I won't be able to get around to seriously going through it until the numbness in my arm subsides (that's my second movie related injury this month).

I see a trend here: huge book dragged through rain, bodily injuries, small animals being crushed. Sounds like a readymade slapstick movie...
best
-paul

JFK

The Charlie Chaplin Archives

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 9:39 am

For those buying this wonderful volume partly as an investment, save and protect the printed box in which the book was published-
alas, I tore mine trying to figure out how to open it- and get as many people from Chaplin's orbit (e.g. Shani Wallis or Claire Bloom),
and those who worked on the book, to sign it.
P.S. My copy- #9615, with a film strip (blown up below) that seems to feature some sort of topless exhibition- was pre-ordered
in September of last year, and arrived this Tuesday. To recoup my costs, I will be road-showing this film strip
in a limited-run, reserved-seating, basis, during the holidays. Check your local listings.

Last edited by JFK on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kndy

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 11:02 am

Wonderful!!!! I'll buy the book right now!

Mark Zimmer

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 1:02 pm

Man, I wish my mother, who was a HUGE Chaplin fan, were still alive to see this book. She would have loved it.

bigshot

PostFri Sep 18, 2015 7:37 pm

Interesting that the serial number at the end of the run comes out at the same time as the beginning. It must be random.

JFK wrote:To recoup my costs, I will be road-showing this film strip
in a limited-run, reserved-seating, basis, during the holidays. Check your local listings.[/size]

You can add my strip as a double feature at the Saturday matinee showings.

PaulDuncan

PostSun Sep 20, 2015 4:50 am

Just got a nice review in The New Yorker by Richard Brody: "The most un-put-downable movie book of the season is also the most un-pick-uppable one: “The Charlie Chaplin Archives” (Taschen)"

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/charlie-chaplins-scandalous-life-and-boundless-artistry?intcid=mod-most-popular

No comment on the lovely binding, though.

best
-paul

JonathanJ

PostSun Sep 20, 2015 9:14 am

Wow, you don't let things go, do you? You won't see it again, trust me.

There are things that are impressive about this book, and things that are a bit frustrating.

Taschen did a great job. The photos are beautifully reproduced. The documents, the photos--fascinating.

I was disappointed with much of the text, though. Much of it is from the autobiography, of course, but quotes from other people that would have been well-served by giving a date and source just appeared with no explanation.

And sorry, but I dont think it was necessary to put the name of the editor and/or author of the chapter before every single passage that that person wrote within that chapter--it's a given, because the name is at the start of the chapter. Do their names have to appear dozens of times more throughout the chapter?

Furthermore, I think it would have been much clearer if editorial comments were placed in a different font (perhaps italicized), rather than the exact same font and color as remarks by Chaplin and other key players. It's giving undue gravitas to the editorial comments.

And again, I thought it pretentious, and a bit silly, to include the editors names before almost every single passage they wrote.

But the book is beautiful, and the photographs and documents are fascinating.
Last edited by JonathanJ on Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JFK

Charlie Chaplin Archives - and other books with film strips

PostSun Sep 20, 2015 3:25 pm

bigshot wrote:You can add my strip as a double feature at the Saturday matinee showings.
If we can pry loose the frames affixed to the bindings of Alva Johnston's The Great Goldwyn,
we'll have the makings of a fine film festival.
Next

Return to Silent News