Resolution for 2016: Attend a Classic Film Festival

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Resolution for 2016: Attend a Classic Film Festival

PostWed Jan 06, 2016 9:07 pm

Here's a thought to work into your plans for 2016:

see real (old) movies in a real theater on real film.

How do you do that?

You attend a classic film festival or convention. Here's a whole thread with info on many of them:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18904

They happen in many parts of the world, from California to Ohio to upstate New York in the US, to many points in Europe (Bologna! Finland!) and maybe even Australia.

Some are posh and expensive but others are modestly priced, in off the beaten path places that are fun to discover (few would plan a vacation to Columbus, Ohio, but there's plenty of interest there). The cost seems reasonable to me for the quantity of what you'll enjoy, from films all day and night at many of them, to getting to meet NitrateVillains and other film fans. There are many write-ups here about them (here's a bunch of last year's from Cinevent) to give you an idea:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20294

Many of these fests exist only because collectors want to share their films with other people, and are run on a wing and a prayer, so it's important to their continued existence (and we've lost two in the US in the last couple of years) that people come out and support them. Sure, you could watch this or that on DVD (or DVD-R) but that's not the same, it's certainly not the same kind of social event as getting together with film fans. So read about the fests in the first thread listed (though it needs entries on Cinecon and the San Francisco Silent Film Festival, to name two) and make plans for some four day weekend this year. You'll be glad you did.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

s.w.a.c.

Re: Resolution for 2016: Attend a Classic Film Festival

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 11:48 am

Now I'm reminded that this will be my first year without a Cinefest. No Dinosaur BBQ or Sam's Chicken Land for me this year.

Maybe it's time to try Cinevent and Skyline Chili? I'm sure Mike S. would approve...

Depending on my employment situation, Capitolfest in Rome, NY in August may finally be a possibility!
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

silentfilm

PostThu Jan 07, 2016 12:21 pm

The schedule for the Kansas Silent Film Festival has just been announced. They have added a special Thursday night show that will screen at the Jayhawk Theater in downtown Topeka.

http://www.kssilentfilmfest.org/kssff2016/index.html

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 7:35 pm

So unfortunately, I will not be able to attend Cinevent this June due to family obligations, but I thought I'd put in a plug for it to encourage first-timers to check it out this year. You can read accounts of last year's fest here, and see the more or less complete schedule and other info here.

Since I can't go to Cinevent, I'm giving serious thought to attending for the first time Capitolfest in Rome, NY in August. Info about it and the classic theater it's held in is here, and though the complete schedule is not posted, what's up so far, focusing on star Gary Cooper, looks pretty great.

I highly recommend these fests as a way to experience films on the big screen and in the company of NitrateVillains and other folks like them. If you complain about how the movies are no good any more, this is where they still are!
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

rudyfan

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 7:42 pm

I will be at the SF Silent Film Festival and will be at Cinecon in Sepember

Jim Reid

PostThu Apr 28, 2016 8:53 pm

I'm planning on Cinecon, if finances allow.

tthacker

PostFri Apr 29, 2016 9:21 am

Cinevent and Cinecon for me this year.

Frederica

PostFri Apr 29, 2016 9:54 am

I'm usually a cert for Cinecon, but this year I'm going on safari in Botswana instead! Standing in for Miss Fred will be Miss Rudyfan.
Fred
"Every revelation you make is an illusion; so far, no one has succeeded in knowing you. Your white pumps literally go with any outfit."
Kim Kierkegaardashian
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

PaulDuncan

PostFri Apr 29, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm going to be outside of San Francisco for the first time in 27 years, working Mon-Fri, but luckily free for the Sat-Sun of the SF Silent Film Fest! I'll be there!

kaleidoscopeworld

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 1:09 am

Is anyone at the Nitrate Picture Show at George Eastman Museum, or went last year?

milefilms

PostSat Apr 30, 2016 2:00 pm

I really wish I was at Nitrate to thank Ed Stratman for his years of service, but I'm at the TCM Film Festival which is pretty spectacular. I know it's pricey but I know everybody feels like they get their money's worth.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V

mwalls

PostSun Dec 25, 2016 9:02 pm

I thought it might be fun to resurrect this thread to see how everyone did on their resolutions.

As for me, I attended the MonsterBash in Mars, PA in July. Granted, it is not what one considers a purely traditional classic film festival, but it leans in that direction. It was another year of not making it to Cinevent in Columbus. Nor did I make it to the Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention in Maryland. So, I missed on some resolutions, but hope 2017 brings more opportunities.

How did everyone else do?

Matthew

Jim Reid

PostMon Dec 26, 2016 1:59 pm

I made it to LA for Cinecon over the Labor Day weekend. Saw a lot of interesting films and got to visit with some really great people. Unfortunately I came away from it with the strong feeling that it was my last. My health is not great, and while I can function fine during my regular working life and the occasional film screenings the travel to LA was really hard on me. I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to make it to Topeka for the Kansas Silent Film Festival but I think that will be the extent of my festival activities. I attended quite a few festivals over that last 15 years. Cinevent, Cinecon, Slapsticon and the final Cinefest in Syracuse. They were all wonderful experiences. I saw some historic screenings. There were also loads of films that I had never heard of that I now treasure the memory of. But the best thing about attending these festivals were the wonderful people that I met, dined with, talked film and cemented many wonderful friendships.

The only advice I would give would be whatever you have to do, go to one of these shows. Find a way to scrape together cash to get there. You WON'T regret it!

R. Cat

PostMon Dec 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Jim Reid wrote:I made it to LA for Cinecon over the Labor Day weekend. Saw a lot of interesting films and got to visit with some really great people. Unfortunately I came away from it with the strong feeling that it was my last. My health is not great, and while I can function fine during my regular working life and the occasional film screenings the travel to LA was really hard on me. I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to make it to Topeka for the Kansas Silent Film Festival but I think that will be the extent of my festival activities. I attended quite a few festivals over that last 15 years. Cinevent, Cinecon, Slapsticon and the final Cinefest in Syracuse. They were all wonderful experiences. I saw some historic screenings. There were also loads of films that I had never heard of that I now treasure the memory of. But the best thing about attending these festivals were the wonderful people that I met, dined with, talked film and cemented many wonderful friendships.

The only advice I would give would be whatever you have to do, go to one of these shows. Find a way to scrape together cash to get there. You WON'T regret it!

Excellent suggestion. Over the past ten years I've attended the Kansas Silent Film Festival several times as well as the San Farncisco Silent Film Festival twice.

Without the support of silent film patrons for festivals these languishing gems would see far fewer public screenings anywhere. My wife and I are trying to make room on our schedule for KSFF in 2017 and would love to attend the SF festival again if the timing works out. The last three years I've failed to attend any festivals, usually because of scheduling conflicts, weather, or family budgetary considerations, but in every instance regretted having missed the experience. Hopefully, this year, my wife and I'll be able to go to at least one of these splendid events.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Dec 26, 2016 5:31 pm

Well said, Jim. Sorry to hear about your health.

I went to Capitolfest, as promised. I hope, this coming year, to do both Cinevent and Capitolfest. We'll see.

azjazzman

PostMon Dec 26, 2016 7:21 pm

Jim Reid wrote:I made it to LA for Cinecon over the Labor Day weekend. Saw a lot of interesting films and got to visit with some really great people. Unfortunately I came away from it with the strong feeling that it was my last. My health is not great, and while I can function fine during my regular working life and the occasional film screenings the travel to LA was really hard on me. I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to make it to Topeka for the Kansas Silent Film Festival but I think that will be the extent of my festival activities. I attended quite a few festivals over that last 15 years. Cinevent, Cinecon, Slapsticon and the final Cinefest in Syracuse. They were all wonderful experiences. I saw some historic screenings. There were also loads of films that I had never heard of that I now treasure the memory of. But the best thing about attending these festivals were the wonderful people that I met, dined with, talked film and cemented many wonderful friendships.

Boy, I can relate to this big time. I was a fairly regular attendee of Cinecon, Cinefest and Cinevent for over 30 years. Loved every minute, but since I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes, a long weekend spent sitting for 12 hours a day just doesn't work for me anymore. Especially when it is bookended by two long flights which are tough enough to deal with.

I do enjoy reading the reports of others, though...which films were screened and their reactions to same. So, sincere thanks to those who go to the trouble to post them.

tthacker

PostMon Dec 26, 2016 9:17 pm

I made it to both Cinevent and Cinecon this year as planned and will probably do the same next year. I had been considering going to San Francisco in 2017, but that would probably have meant giving up the other 2. Someday.

silentfilm

PostTue Dec 27, 2016 12:26 pm

Jim, you forgot that you were the projectionist at the first annual McKinney Classic Film Festival. While not yet in the class of the other festivals that have been mentioned, we hope that it grows in the coming years.

I made it to the Kansas Silent Film Festival (my 14th), and can't wait until next year's event.

Due to a family conflict and a lack of funds, I didn't make it to Cinecon this last year. I'm hoping to attend either Cinecon or Mostly Lost this coming summer.

Big Silent Fan

PostFri Dec 30, 2016 8:21 am

Lucky me, the "American Theatre Organ Society" is hosting their 2017 convention at the Tampa Theatre here in Florida from July 2nd to July 7th. I'm just 40 miles away.
http://www.atos.org/

The Tampa Theatre, a genuine 'Movie Palace' is just one of several theatres with organs in the area.

From Detroit originally I've seen quite a few films in theatres in the surrounding area there.

Festivals with many hours of films being offered frighten me since I could never stay focused.

Murnau

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 4:26 pm

I visited only in Forssa, Finland and Pordenone, Italy. Let's hope next year will be better.

Brooksie

PostSat Dec 31, 2016 7:20 pm

I had to miss the San Francisco Silent Film Festival this year, but I did go to Cinecon. I second everything you say, Jim - the delight of meeting with all the good folks like yourself is second only to the delight of seeing the films, but it is physically taxing, and it doesn't help that the options for decent, affordable accommodation in Hollywood seem to be declining alarmingly. I hope we'll see you there again this year, but I'll reluctantly understand if you can't make it.

I should also put in a good word for a few smaller film-related events that I attended this year - the 90th anniversary screening and tour of filming sites for Buster Keaton's The General (1926) in Cottage Grove, Oregon; and the 90th anniversary celebrations for the Hollywood Theatre in Portland, Oregon. Both put on by people with a good old-fashioned passion for good old-fashioned film.

NotSoSilent

PostFri Jan 06, 2017 9:10 am

Jim Reid wrote:I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to make it to Topeka for the Kansas Silent Film Festival but I think that will be the extent of my festival activities.

I look forward to seeing you and Bruce at the Kansas Silent Film Festival again this year. It's a great event, well attended, and the folks who run it do a great job.

Marr&Colton

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 9:40 am

Hope Cinevent is a big success this year 2017----don't think I will make it there, but for those who are setting up at any of the conventions, I'm listing soon some large bulk lots of posters, etc. just right for your dealer table. Look in the Exchange section for my ad.

Return to Silent News