VARIETE - ALLOY ORCHESTRA'S NEW SCORE

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

silentmovies742

Re: VARIETE - ALLOY ORCHESTRA'S NEW SCORE

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 5:31 pm

I picked up the Masters of Cinema edition today in HMV, although I haven't watched it yet. I have to give credit to the little HMV store in Norwich (Uk) that I literally live next door to. They have stocked most of the silent films from Eureka, Criterion, and the BFI as they have come out over the last few years, and with a price that is the same, or lower than, Amazon. There were four or five copies of the Pioneers of African-American Cinema set when it came out - only one left now, which is quite an achievement for a city the size of mine that such niche (and not cheap) sets are selling.

As for horrendous scores, I also remember the DVD of Inferno from 1911. That score was disastrous too!

Daniel Eagan

PostTue Feb 07, 2017 6:02 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:There's some talk about the different versions starting here:

viewtopic.php?p=149756#p149756" target="_blank

Honestly, it's still not clear to me what the running time difference between different versions ever was, but the 95-minute German version seems to be as complete as it's going to get today.

I had to miss it, but two weeks ago in NYC there was a screening of what was described (by a distributor I trust) as an "extraordinary new restoration" of Variety which should have a schedule of screenings shortly.

wms4silents

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 1:41 am

Loving the Classics has the full two our uncut Variete under the Jealouse title....print is not the best but it is as good as the old Entertainment film American version or the Grapevine...includes a half segment from the beginning that is missing from most prints...still would love a beautiful print of this as it is one of the masterworks of the silent screen

Rodney

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 8:02 am

Daniel Eagan wrote:
Mike Gebert wrote:There's some talk about the different versions starting here:

viewtopic.php?p=149756#p149756" target="_blank" target="_blank

Honestly, it's still not clear to me what the running time difference between different versions ever was, but the 95-minute German version seems to be as complete as it's going to get today.

I had to miss it, but two weeks ago in NYC there was a screening of what was described (by a distributor I trust) as an "extraordinary new restoration" of Variety which should have a schedule of screenings shortly.

I saw a restoration -- likely this one -- at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival. I'm not familiar with earlier versions of the film (other than a videotape I had decades ago that was almost unwatchable). The SFSFF version was quite impressive.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"
Previous

Return to Silent News