OOP "American Slapstick II" New Copies $5.00 each

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Harlowgold

OOP "American Slapstick II" New Copies $5.00 each

PostSun Feb 21, 2016 4:13 pm

Somebody on IMDb posted that the company that produced American Slapstick II is selling it's remaining copies for $5.00, this is an excellent set and I highly recommend the dvds though I don't know anything about this website:

http://www.alldayentertainment.com/6401.html

CoffeeDan

Re: OOP "American Slapstick II" New Copies $5.00 each

PostSun Feb 21, 2016 6:07 pm

Harlowgold wrote:I highly recommend the dvds though I don't know anything about this website.

I think this is all you need to know about the website:

David Kalat founded All Day Entertainment as an independent DVD label in 1997. The company was created to rescue and promote motion pictures whose artistic value, historic importance, and all-around entertainment value merit a second chance in the commercial marketplace.

David Kalat also partners with other media companies such as Masters of Cinema, Kino-Lorber, the Criterion Collection, Classic Media, and others to bring the same attention to important films from around the world. Details of these projects can be found here.

David Kalat blogs for Turner Classic Movies' Movie Morlocks every Saturday. An archive of his posts is maintained here. Additionally, he contributes other material to Turner Classic Movies Online, and has authored several books on film topics.

Thank you for visiting us and check back regularly for updates and special offers!

And here's the blogpost that announced the sale, which adds substantially to the original product description (link included):

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 28, 2012

Super Sale on Slapstick!

If you click through to the DVD Catalog page, you will see something astonishing: we have dropped the price on the American Slapstick Volume 2 box set to a measly $5.

I know, this is completely ridiculous. We are talking here about a 3-DVD set that runs 440 minutes in all. That's over 7 hours of entertainment -- comprise­d of archival rarities you won't find anywhere else and which have never been featured on home video before. Nearly all of them sport newly recorded musical scores composed exclusively for this presentation. And just in case that's somehow not exciting enough, you also get a thick booklet of liner notes written by noted film scholars specializing in this era, and illustrated with rare images.

And we're practically giving this treasure away for about the price of a Venti Starbucks latte.

Hurry, while supplies last!

Posted by David Kalat, 9:13 AM

For five dollars, how can any lover of silent comedy go wrong? GET IT!! NOW!!!!

Mark Zimmer

PostMon Feb 22, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks for the tip. All Day Entertainment had some wonderful releases back in the day; they were one of my favorite DVD companies. David Kalat still does commentaries etc and he's one of the best in the business.

Rick Lanham

PostMon Feb 22, 2016 2:26 pm

I ordered one.
Thanks for letting us know.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Harlowgold

PostTue Feb 23, 2016 11:49 pm

CoffeeDan wrote:
Harlowgold wrote:I highly recommend the dvds though I don't know anything about this website.

I think this is all you need to know about the website....

My point was I had no personal experience ordering from the website and since I already had the dvds I wouldn't be ordering it but thought others here might be interested in this sale, as apparently at least two others were. I did do a search to find it the set's sale was recently mentioned on nitrateville and could not find it, obviously I did not search back several years I'm surprised they still have some if it's been available at a discount for several years.

Michael Arlt

PostTue Feb 23, 2016 11:54 pm

Got mine, thanks for the heads up

CoffeeDan

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 12:00 am

Aw, I was just kidding around with you, Harlowgold. Thanks for the heads-up. Besides, I had fun putting that post together, with all the links and stuff. Still, I'm surprised the sale is still on, more than three years after it was announced.

Salty Dog

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 8:07 pm

Mark Zimmer wrote:Thanks for the tip. All Day Entertainment had some wonderful releases back in the day; they were one of my favorite DVD companies. David Kalat still does commentaries etc and he's one of the best in the business.

Yes, he does some of the best commentaries around. Also a very good weekly blog on the TCM Moviemorlocks site.
Bill Coleman

elliothearst

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 7:31 pm

Harlowgold wrote:Somebody on IMDb posted that the company that produced American Slapstick II is selling it's remaining copies for $5.00, this is an excellent set and I highly recommend the dvds though I don't know anything about this website:

http://www.alldayentertainment.com/6401.html" target="_blank

Thanks! Ordered mine!

Rick Lanham

PostFri Feb 26, 2016 8:42 pm

I received mine today. They're fast!
Haven't viewed anything yet.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

R. Cat

PostSun Feb 28, 2016 1:23 am

Harlowgold wrote:Somebody on IMDb posted that the company that produced American Slapstick II is selling it's remaining copies for $5.00, this is an excellent set and I highly recommend the dvds though I don't know anything about this website:

http://www.alldayentertainment.com/6401.html" target="_blank

Thanks for the heads-up. This is too good a deal to pass up. :D

Michael Arlt

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 5:25 pm

I received my copy today.
With nothing much to do today, I watched the first disc. Tomorrow the second.

Now I want the first volume :)

Bravo.

Harlowgold

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 5:58 pm

Michael Arlt wrote:I received my copy today.
With nothing much to do today, I watched the first disc. Tomorrow the second.

Now I want the first volume :)

Bravo.

You and me both brother :D !! Volume One has unfortunately long been out of print and very pricey used.

Harlowgold

PostTue Mar 01, 2016 6:02 pm

CoffeeDan wrote:Aw, I was just kidding around with you, Harlowgold. Thanks for the heads-up. Besides, I had fun putting that post together, with all the links and stuff. Still, I'm surprised the sale is still on, more than three years after it was announced.

I wasn't offended or anything, and your comments were indeed very informative. I was certainly shocked to learn that this sale has been available for three years from your post, certainly a damning comment on the tragically limited interest in silent films in the 21st century. But then most people today won't even sit for a b&w "talkie", even one from the 1960's.

itslefty

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 1:09 am

Where do I find American Slapstick 1?

dgunning

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 10:15 pm

Amazon has a couple used copies for sale, but it will put you back $75. As someone else mentioned, it's long been out of print.

BenModel

PostFri Apr 01, 2016 9:20 am

American Slapstick volume 1 is basically a re-packaging of ReelclassicDVD's first three volumes of its "Festival of Silent Comedy" series. The films are all SD transfers from good 16mm prints, and most of them have scores that I did. ReelclassicDVD is still selling these, and the "Festival" series actually now has a total of six volumes.

You can see samples of some of the films, to get an idea of the image quality, from a few excerpts that I got permission to upload to my YouTube channel, here:
To order and to see all the other silent releases from RCDVD, click here.

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com and get an exclusive link to watch a rare comedy short
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter and on Instagram
Silent Film Music Podcast available on iTunes

Javier

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 4:56 pm

Thank you Ben for the update.
I ordered two copies of the American Slapstick II , one for me and one for my brother who realised there is much more to silent comedy than Charlie.
His silent film collection is very limited, so perhaps by these films he will reach out and explore them for the beauty that they are.
Your contribution to the silent cinema is very much appreciated by us who love them, and to the ones who are willing to explore them.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

BenModel

PostSat Apr 02, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks so much! I also highly recommend the 6 volumes of Our Gang shorts that RCDVD sells.

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com and get an exclusive link to watch a rare comedy short
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter and on Instagram
Silent Film Music Podcast available on iTunes

Lonesome Luke

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 9:08 pm

bdp wrote:There's currently a former library copy of American Slapstick 1 on eBay for $49.33, free shipping.

And you can borrow one at my library for free. (Along with all the David Shepard Chaplin versions to boot.)

CoffeeDan

PostTue Apr 05, 2016 11:05 pm

Lonesome Luke wrote:
bdp wrote:There's currently a former library copy of American Slapstick 1 on eBay for $49.33, free shipping.

And you can borrow one at my library for free. (Along with all the David Shepard Chaplin versions to boot.)

Until they, too, become former (or discarded) library copies. As Eric Blore once said, "Sic transit gloria mundi, sir."

Nosferatu

PostFri Apr 08, 2016 6:45 pm

I ordered one of these. No communication post order but it came fast. I received within 5 days of ordering. It arrived in a bubble mailer but the case was cracked. I'll open it at another time but the discs sound secure.

jjbluecaps

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 6:46 pm

Harry Langdon is OOP :(

dgunning

PostMon Apr 18, 2016 8:57 pm

It is, but used copies are sometimes available for a reasonable price. I was able to pick up a used (like new) copy not long ago for $60. Thought it was a pretty good deal. Keep an eye out for used copies on Amazon or ebay.

Zool

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 3:09 pm

bdp wrote:
Lonesome Luke wrote:

And with one post someone reminds me of why I stopped going to message boards.

Looks like you should have stayed "stopped."
http://www.georgeobrien.net

"There's nothing I wouldn't do, including doing nothing."

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 4:17 pm

I don't even understand the context of the sniping in this thread, but I am baffled why a thread about the availability of one title should seem to provoke potshots back and forth like this. Maybe there's some bad blood carried over from Golden Silents between some people, but if that's the case, it would rank high on the list of things NitrateVille does not need, so let's try a different approach and just get along?
“One of the wonders of the internet is that it's a totally open forum. The world's greatest expert—or greatest idiot—is free to post.” —David Shepard, quoted by Richard Bann

Michael Arlt

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 8:20 pm

This set is fantastic, the best five dollars spent on a DVD set.
When it finished, you wished there was more Anne Cornwall and Alice Howell available.

Now I'm going to investigate the ReelclassicDVD catalog.

Thanks guys. :D

Lonesome Luke

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Okay, I also bought a copy. When I first saw this thread last year, I was put off by the high shipping price. But what the heck — it's THREE DVDs. It came out to $20 USD ($26.96 CAD). The shipping is $15 — more than the DVDs themselves (I guess that's how they make their money on this). Makes me wonder, how many copies did they make anyway?

Battra92

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 9:54 am

My two copies came in yesterday and I got a chance to sample a bit of it. I'm going to either give the second copy to my father or sell it (at cost) to my brother.

I really am enjoying the set but does anyone else feel like me in that watching silent comedy alone it's hard to really laugh. I mean, I enjoy it and all but the most I do is smile. Silent comedy is just much more enjoyable in a crowd (though I don't have any opportunities to do that any more.)

Battra92

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 9:55 am

Lonesome Luke wrote:Okay, I also bought a copy. When I first saw this thread last year, I was put off by the high shipping price. But what the heck — it's THREE DVDs. It came out to $20 USD ($26.96 CAD). The shipping is $15 — more than the DVDs themselves (I guess that's how they make their money on this). Makes me wonder, how many copies did they make anyway?

My brother has an eBay business and for whatever reason it's more expensive to ship to Canada than even to Europe some times. Very strange.
Next

Return to Silent News