new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

drednm

Re: new Kickstarter: WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 1:39 pm

Biggest electric sign ever on Broadway: Marion Davies September 1922.

The sign was 60 ft x 35 ft with Davies' name 10ft high in frosted white lights. The coat of arms was made with color-painted bulbs ... apparently no neon was used because of the size of the sign.

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

BenModel

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 6:04 pm

Backers' copies of WKWiF are shipping out this week! Thanks again to those of you Nitratevillains who were among the 317 people who pledged and helped make this happen. I know I'd said the disc would be released in the fall, but it looks like it'll happen sooner. I will have news about the street date later this week and will start a new thread.

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com and get an exclusive link to watch a rare comedy short
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter and on Instagram
Silent Film Music Podcast available on iTunes

tthacker

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Just got my copy in the mail. Haven't had time to pop it in the player yet, but looking forward to watching it. Thanks Ben!

bobfells

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 8:10 pm

My copy arrived today and I am very impressed with the finished product. The packaging is first rate and the enclosed booklet is very professionally written and printed. I had forgotten that it was a dual disc set, a DVD and a Blu-ray, and it looked to me as though the DVD was pressed, not burned ala DVD-R. I haven't watched any of the movie but I'm already giving Ben five stars! Thank you Ben, I know you put a great deal of work into this project and it really shows!

drednm

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 8:03 am

bobfells wrote:My copy arrived today and I am very impressed with the finished product. The packaging is first rate and the enclosed booklet is very professionally written and printed. I had forgotten that it was a dual disc set, a DVD and a Blu-ray, and it looked to me as though the DVD was pressed, not burned ala DVD-R. I haven't watched any of the movie but I'm already giving Ben five stars! Thank you Ben, I know you put a great deal of work into this project and it really shows!

I still don't know the bottom-line difference between pressed vc burned.... I assume burned is better?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

BenModel

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 8:24 am

Bob - not only is the DVD pressed/replicated, it is a dual-layer disc for maximum bit rate.

Ed - pressed is better, but you have to order a minimum 500 or 1000.

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com and get an exclusive link to watch a rare comedy short

Mark Zimmer

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 8:42 am

Outstanding, Ben!

BenModel

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 12:15 pm

I went the replicated/dual-layer route on this one because it was going to be a Blu-ray, and with BR you have to replicate at a minimum order of 1000. Yes, Blu-ray-R's are getting better and more reliable, and I imagine that's what Grapevine is doing for their BR releases. CreateSpace does not do BR-R and I doubt they ever will, although it'd be great if they did.

Ben

JRozgonyi

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 9:25 pm

The hell with the restoration, the score, and the booklet -- I was blown away by the metallic pink shipping envelope it arrived in today!!

Go, Ben!

drednm

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 8:45 am

Got mine today..... Film looks great. I skipped thru it.

The little book has a lot of typos (he carped) including the note that Lara is working on "the fire full-length biography" of Davies.

Also please note that Davies may have started out as a Broadway "chorus girl" but was a featured player in a series of Broadway productions up to 1920.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

BenModel

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 8:59 am

Ed, one thing I've learned about publishing, is that you can proof something a million times and typos will still turn up.

Hope you enjoy the film!

Ben

drednm

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:03 am

BenModel wrote:Ed, one thing I've learned about publishing, is that you can proof something a million times and typos will still turn up.

Hope you enjoy the film!

Ben

Yes, Ben, you're right. And I'm sure there are typos in my latest book as well. Their always is.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

BenModel

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:04 am

JRozgonyi wrote:The hell with the restoration, the score, and the booklet -- I was blown away by the metallic pink shipping envelope it arrived in today!!

Go, Ben!

Glad you liked that little touch!

BTW, Royal Mailers is a good alternative to Uline, in case anyone's looking for one.

Ben

SilentsPlease

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:28 am

Hi Ben, I just want to add that I have never been prouder to support a Kickstarter who not only saved a film, but also created a technically excellent and well-packaged disc as well. You are clearly a pro and knew what you were doing. A few years ago I supported Ed's kickstarter for Marion Davies' Enchantment and while he saved the film, he was unable to create a satisfactory disc, nor did he display any professional attitude about it. And he apparently hasn't changed, seeing him picking on your typos after only "skipping through" your disc (your enthusiasm is overflowing, Ed!), and not even knowing the difference between a pressed disc and a burned disc. I'm SO glad I found you, Ben. And from now on I know which Kickstarter to support and which to avoid.

drednm

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 10:17 am

What a difference from the old Videobrary VHS.
Last edited by drednm on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

silentfilm

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 11:05 am

Mine arrived yesterday. Hopefully I'll have time over the holiday weekend to screen it. Thanks!

Jim Harwood

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 6:41 pm

Excellent picture quality and score. And a fine film too. Great job Ben!!

drednm

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Wow! Great job, Ben, on all counts. Jack's torches were amazing.....

I assume Marion's French entrance music was the "Marion Davies March"? I never found any sample of the song. I recognized the "When Knighthood Was in Flower" waltz.

Great job. Congrats and thanks to all involved.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

BenModel

PostFri Jun 30, 2017 8:09 pm

Jim H. - glad you liked the restoration and the film.

Ed - yes, the music for the big processional through the town with Mary Tudor and Louis XII is the "MD March" by V. Herbert.

Yes, the digital hand-coloring is great, and really adds a lot. What must it have been like to see that on a big screen in 1922?

Ben

WaverBoy

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 12:57 am

Incredible job, Ben. One of the best representations of a silent film on Blu-ray that I've seen; love the picture quality, love the tinting, looks great in motion with zero ghosting or artifacting, and what a great score from that talented Mr. Model. Oh yeah, and the film is damn fine itself. Wonderful cover art, and the informative liner notes booklet is the icing on the cake. A practically perfect package.

Thank you and your co-conspirators so much for your efforts on this.

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 2:57 pm

We watched this last night and greatly enjoyed it -- Congratulations on a job well done, Ben!

Just a couple of questions: first, what was the sequence in Reel 3 that was restored? And also -- according to the booklet, the film's total budget was $1,500,000. Do you know how much it grossed?
-- Charlie Morrow

BenModel

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 10:02 pm

Charlie,

I don't know how much the film grossed. I'm sure Lara Fowler has that info, and I'll bet Ed does too. Must've done awfully well, considering it opened in Sept 1922 in the 12-reel roadshow version, and then in a 10-reel standard release edition early in 1923, and continued to run for some months. People who've seen the Blu/DVD have been impressed with the film, so it's really interesting that it's such a forgotten and overlooked film.

The footage in reel 3 that no one has seen since 1922 -- the footage that was sourced from a separate reel of nitrate at the Academy Film Archive -- is the entire sequence with Marion and June and Brandon and Caskoden where the two dance and when they declare their love, and the conversation about going to the soothsayer, all the way through most of the exterior shots of the them all going over to Grammont's place. It's about 4 mins of film, and how it turned up was an absolute fluke; couldn't have planned it, and at the same time the circumstances of finding out about it were so obtuse it was as if this reel wanted to be part of the restoration project.

Ben

drednm

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 9:39 am

BenModel wrote:Charlie,

I don't know how much the film grossed. I'm sure Lara Fowler has that info, and I'll bet Ed does too. Must've done awfully well, considering it opened in Sept 1922 in the 12-reel roadshow version, and then in a 10-reel standard release edition early in 1923, and continued to run for some months. People who've seen the Blu/DVD have been impressed with the film, so it's really interesting that it's such a forgotten and overlooked film.

The footage in reel 3 that no one has seen since 1922 -- the footage that was sourced from a separate reel of nitrate at the Academy Film Archive -- is the entire sequence with Marion and June and Brandon and Caskoden where the two dance and when they declare their love, and the conversation about going to the soothsayer, all the way through most of the exterior shots of the them all going over to Grammont's place. It's about 4 mins of film, and how it turned up was an absolute fluke; couldn't have planned it, and at the same time the circumstances of finding out about it were so obtuse it was as if this reel wanted to be part of the restoration project.

Ben

I never found any actual numbers (I asked Lara also), but contemporary reports place the film in the year's top ten anywhere from #1 to #6 and anything in between, depending on the source. It played extended runs in every big city before going "wide" February 1923. Notably, Nasaw even states in his Hearst biography it's impossible to know exactly how much it made.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 10:12 am

Wikipedia places it at something less than a million and a half for US receipts in 1922. That might be as low as half a million. Given that it circulated big through 1923 and there were undoubtedly foreign receipts, that's not much information, even by Wikipedia standards.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Jim Roots

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 11:02 am

drednm wrote:What a difference from the old Videobrary VHS.

You too? I must have several hundred, if not a thousand, Videobrary VHS's. God bless Paul, who allowed me to cherrypick all the silent comedy shorts I wanted crammed into each tape.

Jim

rudyfan

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 5:07 pm

While I have not had the chance to do more than a cursory look through, this is a gorgeous looking film. The score bits I sampled sounded great. William Powell, sigh what a great villain he was! Hoping to sit down for a proper screening this weekend.

In any case, I can only echo how great it is to be part of this kickstarter and see such a beautiful project come to life.
Previous

Return to Silent News