Kevin Brownlow's Napoleon

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

BrianG

Re: Kevin Brownlow's Napoleon

PostMon Dec 12, 2016 1:42 pm

BFI is taking pre-orders on the second edition in standard plastic slipcase for release on Dec 19. The only change looks like a shorter Carl Davis interview in the booklet. Disc content is same as the first.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostMon Dec 12, 2016 1:44 pm

I'd just like any edition to arrive at my house; it's a full week overdue per their tracking info.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Claus Harding

PostMon Dec 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Hmmm,

I ordered "Napoleon" and "Berlin Alexanderplatz" from Zavvi as one order some time ago, and today, "Berlin" showed up, which is fine, but no "Napoleon" as of yet....I wonder if Zavvi orders from different distributors so they each have to pack and send separately? (both ordered sets are Region 2, so both from Britain.)

Claus.

R. Cat

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 5:18 am

Mike Gebert wrote:I'd just like any edition to arrive at my house; it's a full week overdue per their tracking info.

Same here.

syd

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 1:56 pm

I don't think the BFI anticipated the response this release has received.
There have been film fans waiting for a home edition of this version for
20 to 30 years.

Big Silent Fan

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 2:28 pm

syd wrote:I don't think the BFI anticipated the response this release has received.
20 to 30 years.

Agreed. And they should've made it available in NTSC/PAL since the film was last performed here (I'm sure that would have been simple to do). Not everyone can easily watch Region 2 with their equipment, even if the player is brand new.

R. Cat

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 2:43 pm

Big Silent Fan wrote:
syd wrote:I don't think the BFI anticipated the response this release has received.
20 to 30 years.

Agreed. And they should've made it available in NTSC/PAL since the film was last performed here (I'm sure that would have been simple to do). Not everyone can easily watch Region 2 with their equipment, even if the player is brand new.

This probably wasn't an option since the Coppola cabal is sitting on the rights for any North American release of Gance's ...excuse me, Carmine Coppola's... film. If it weren't for the availability of region/zone free players, we'd all be SOL.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 3:17 pm

One presumes that the Cinematheque Française version with an adaptation of the Coppola score will have a US release in a few years. What's a few more to wait?
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

syd

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 3:36 pm

And that does beg the question of demand and supply.
Since there is a demand for this material, why not take
advantage while there is interest and a promise of profit?
The Coppola Version was popular. European showing were sold
out. Oakland, California was a success. This version has sold-out.
What more convincing is needed?

bigshot

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 5:16 pm

The folks behind the Coppola version plan on a theatrical roadshow of the film in the US before a home video release. So you can add another year or so to the couple of years it will take them to complete the restoration before a blu-ray is released. Easier to just get a region free player. They aren't expensive.

R. Cat

PostTue Dec 13, 2016 5:40 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:One presumes that the Cinematheque Française version with an adaptation of the Coppola score will have a US release in a few years. What's a few more to wait?

I'm very fond of the Davis score, but as an obsessive collector I'm sure that I'll choose to own both versions in the best format available. I just don't fancy the prospect of paying a higher price on the secondary market for the Brownlow restoration if this sells out (assuming Amazon fails to deliver).

Mr.Mycroft

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 12:33 am

Big Silent Fan wrote:
20 to 30 years.

Its a blu ray mastered at 24fps, or 24hz on your display. PAL/NTSC are irrelevant formats that have nothing to do with 24p blu ray, there is no format conversion taking place. The only impediment to screening on a US system is it being in Region B, which as you know you can get around via a multi region player.

Battra92

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 2:40 pm

My copy came in on Saturday and outside of spot checking it a little bit, I haven't watched it. I did put on the soundtrack (which I've owned for a few years) to get myself hyped up.

On a side note, during the opening scene my wife commented that she played the classical piece sampled but could not recall what it was. Anyone with more musical knowledge than me want to help her out on this?

Ann Harding

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 10:12 am

The beginning of the film (the snowball fight) is accompanied by Mozart's Symphony N°25.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 11:17 am

I continue to enjoy the irony of waiting day by day for delivery of something everyone's been waiting 35 years for, and 40+ years before that.

Battra92

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Ann Harding wrote:The beginning of the film (the snowball fight) is accompanied by Mozart's Symphony N°25.

Thanks. I admit in my house we play more Mahler than Mozart

Great Hierophant

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 9:08 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:I continue to enjoy the irony of waiting day by day for delivery of something everyone's been waiting 35 years for, and 40+ years before that.

I may not have been waiting for that long, but fortunately I only have to wait three more days for my copy-in-Blu. 8)

mwalls

PostWed Dec 21, 2016 9:33 pm

Mine arrived a few weeks ago. I had never seen any version of it previously. I bought it because I wanted to contribute to such a monumental restoration job, and also to join in the excitement about it here on Nitrateville. But, full confession, I was at the same time not thrilled with the idea of watching a 5 1/2 hour movie. My attention span just is not that long. When my copy arrived I opened the package and it sat on my counter for about a week. I looked on it with the same excitement as someone who looks on a full can of paint before beginning the long process of painting a large room. But, I blocked some time on a Saturday and watched the first two disks on Saturday, and then did the final 40 minutes on Sunday. And, I was impressed. Seemingly more impressed as I think back on the film. Glad I bought it and watched it. It did not seem like 5 1/2 hours. There were one or two parts that dragged a bit, but that was minor. Very enjoyable.

Matthew

R. Cat

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 2:32 am

Well, today I was notified by an Amazon representative that Napoleon was defeated on the march to Texas and my shipment was returned to the UK. The refund is of little solace. Amazon provided a list of possible reasons with no definitive explanation.

I'm none to happy about it. I've reordered ...at a higher price... and no telling how long it will take this time. I briefly considered Global Priority Mail, even though that would've doubled the cost.

Never had a problem like this with Amazon.uk before, but it's very frustrating. They did respond to my inquiry in a timely manner and apologized for the inconvenience.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 7:37 am

Sorry to hear this, did they give any clue why it couldn't get all the way here? I suspect I'll get the same news shortly.

radiotelefonia

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 8:02 am

R. Cat

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 1:12 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Sorry to hear this, did they give any clue why it couldn't get all the way here? I suspect I'll get the same news shortly.

Nope. When I inquired, the Amazon rep. suggested it might've been a smudged address, but had no way of tracking down the specific order. For the past two weeks it showed up as on line for eventual delivery and moving closer on their tracking scale, but no actual tracking by location was provided as with FedEx or UPS.

Unintentionally adding salt to the wound, the rep. linked me to a third party vendor still carrying the original packaging, Amazon offering to pay the postage. Alas, the price of the original packaging has apparently entered the collector market already. It would've cost me over 59.00 pounds (over $70) to repurchase even if Amazon refunded the shipping. That was just too much of a hike over the 26.39 pound price paid in November.

I ended up reordering the revised packaging version as it's available for close to the earlier price. It would've nice to get the full book and diatropic packaging, but at least this way I'll eventually get the Brownlow restoration with Davis score. The biggest disappointment is that I'd intended having a holiday screening of Napoleon for friends over our HT projection system. That's been postponed until late January or February (assuming no issues with this shipment, ...fingers crossed).

Mike, hopefully you'll be luckier with your shipment. I'd suggest contacting your local Post Office on the off chance that your order was mis-addressed by the shipper.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks for the info. Very similar situation so far. Hard to imagine Amazon messed my address up this one time, but who knows. My postman is keeping an eye out, but I suspect I'll end up doing the same, reordering.

bigshot

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 2:11 pm

Amazon UK shipped these in a padded envelope barely bigger than the set itself. Normally, they use a cardboard wrapper which does a good job of getting the blu-rays here to California intact. But if the envelope got left out in rain for a few minutes, I can see it falling apart and losing the contents at a mail depot or airport.

BrianG

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 2:58 pm

I got mine (in a cardboard wrap) after holding my breath for 3 weeks. It was my first order since Mabuse was almost returned in Sept. My mailman found Mabuse in a return box and brought it to my house anyway. Neither he nor I ever figured out why it was set to be returned. With my next UK order (probably Variete), I plan on ordering a second DVD and choosing Global Standard. It's expensive for 1, but more reasonable if ordering 2-3. I think I'm through with their basic shipping (Asendia).

Rick Lanham

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 3:02 pm

I hesitate to say anything since there have been shipping problems for others, but I received my copy today. There had been no real tracking information, but yesterday the Amazon (UK) site said that it would be here today, and it was!

(As mentioned above in this thread) I ordered on the 6th, I think, it was shipped on the 8th. I ordered Napoleon and also BFI's version of Phantom of the Opera. They arrived together in a thin cardboard envelope, US mail. It is the first edition of Napoleon.

Money's been allocated to other things, so viewing will await the purchase of a region-free player very soon…

P.S. I just noticed that the case for POTO got bashed in through that thin envelope and is now missing a small piece of plastic.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Claus Harding

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 10:04 pm

I am still among "the waiting"....I contacted Zavvi and they said that they had checked and could tell me that "N" had been shipped from their warehouse. While this is lovely, it still doesn't answer why my other disc set from them arrived safe and sound early last week while the Little Emperor is left wandering the lands....seeing that some of you have gotten yours fairly late, I will hope for a few more days before doing anything more.

Claus.

WaverBoy

PostFri Dec 23, 2016 10:38 pm

I ordered from Amazon UK two days ago on the 21st and it was dispatched yesterday, with an expected delivery date of January 11th. I presume I'll be getting the "revised packaging" version, but that's ok. Can't wait to finally be able to watch this film properly (well, as properly as I can within my home theatre limitations).

R. Cat

PostSat Dec 24, 2016 5:11 am

WaverBoy wrote:I ordered from Amazon UK two days ago on the 21st and it was dispatched yesterday, with an expected delivery date of January 11th. I presume I'll be getting the "revised packaging" version, but that's ok. Can't wait to finally be able to watch this film properly (well, as properly as I can within my home theatre limitations).

Same here, reordered a couple of days back. Amazon provided a delivery date of January 12th. We'll see if that date holds.

I'm a little miffed that I won't get the original packaging with the complete book, but grateful to have this in the queue for an arrival date. Hope everyone who's been waiting awhile and hasn't yet received their copies fares better.

Claus Harding

PostSat Dec 24, 2016 10:37 am

It's HERE! The Blu-Rays arrived, just when I thought this first edition set was going to be condemned for eternity to some "lost package" office.

A thin padded envelope is too flimsy for such a journey, but a couple of slightly bent outer cardboard corners aside, everything else is fine.
I did laugh at the "Priority Air Mail" sticker on the package; as overdue as it was, it must have been sent on a Bleriot!

Thus, a Napoleonic Christmas looms :mrgreen:

A big "congratulations" is due Kevin Brownlow; getting the funding and agreements in place to have this released on BR in 2016 is the crowning touch to all his efforts on Gance's behalf.

Everyone, enjoy your Holidays, whatever you celebrate.

Claus.
PreviousNext

Return to Silent News