Pride of Palomar (1922) to be given a transfer/release!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

pmcinern

Re: Pride of Palomar (1922) to be given a transfer/release!

PostThu Jul 28, 2016 7:45 am

Dan, thank you so much! Rick, thanks for the heads up. Nitrateville blew everyone out of the water in donations, I can't thank you enough. In fact, it's looking like we'll have enough donations to get a transfer of "Back Pay," too! We're all super excited to get the films in your hands, and to hopefully get started on another one. Thanks again gang.

Jim Harwood

PostWed Mar 22, 2017 1:32 pm

I received my disc a week or so back and the quality of the image is quite good. Very nice looking. Also an excellent score.

Not to pick nits, but there's a section of the film that is out of sequence. The first horse race scene begins and just as the leading lady walks away from the stands over to the horses, it cuts to a sequence that occurs after this race, later that evening. Then when that scene plays out it cuts back to the horse race. A very obvious issue, it's too bad some editing wasn't done to fix it.

But still, it's a rare title and a good film. I'm very happy to have it!

Bertrand

PostSat Mar 25, 2017 12:59 pm

Received my DVD and have watched the first third. Very nice copy and, honestly, a gripping movie with lots of outdoor sequences. Love it!

Thank you !

Murnau

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 9:42 am

Thank you for a copy and a t-shirt. But you forgot my name...

SeminaryGuy

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 2:48 pm

Jim Harwood wrote:I received my disc a week or so back and the quality of the image is quite good. Very nice looking. Also an excellent score.

Not to pick nits, but there's a section of the film that is out of sequence. The first horse race scene begins and just as the leading lady walks away from the stands over to the horses, it cuts to a sequence that occurs after this race, later that evening. Then when that scene plays out it cuts back to the horse race. A very obvious issue, it's too bad some editing wasn't done to fix it.

But still, it's a rare title and a good film. I'm very happy to have it!

I thought this was odd, but I think this was the order that the scenes were in on the Library of Congress file. But you're right...it's an odd order for the scenes.

And I, for one, am glad you liked the score. :-) I'm thrilled to have compiled and recorded it with friends of mine for the DVD.
--
David L. Gill
Film lover
Film Score novice
Musician

drednm

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 1:57 pm

I was confused also my the apparently two separate visits by the Sepulvedas. On the first visit they learn of Mike's accident and then apparently on a separate visit after after no explanation as to what his injuries are, the visitors are there again and Nita offers Mike money. I assume this was a separate visit because Kay is wearing a different outfit but Nita is wearing the same clothes and hat. But this meeting is intercut into the horse race in which Kay is a rider. No matter. I just went along with it.

I also didn't understand why the surname was Farrell but also Farrel ... even in the opening news article. In either case, the name seems to be Irish.

Otherwise I agree with Bob Liption's review on IMDb. I enjoyed the music very much, so kudos to David Gill.

And ... it was nice to see Forrest Stanley as the star and not the leading man. During the 1921-22 years he was leading man in four Marion Davies films at Cosmopolitan, which also produced this film.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

boblipton

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 2:25 pm

A lot of Irish emigrated to Catholic countries following the establishment of the Church of England and the Church of Ireland. Some of them moved to Spain or Spanish colonies in the New World. Look up Bernardo O'Higgins.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

drednm

PostSun Apr 02, 2017 3:34 pm

boblipton wrote:A lot of Irish emigrated to Catholic countries following the establishment of the Church of England and the Church of Ireland. Some of them moved to Spain or Spanish colonies in the New World. Look up Bernardo O'Higgins.

Bob

I had an Irish grandmother on the Italian side.

Actually, I just did a DNA test through one of the heritage sites and it came back 50% Scandinavian, 37% Italian and the rest smatterings of other. So anything is possible.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Rick Lanham

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 5:37 am

drednm wrote:
boblipton wrote:A lot of Irish emigrated to Catholic countries following the establishment of the Church of England and the Church of Ireland. Some of them moved to Spain or Spanish colonies in the New World. Look up Bernardo O'Higgins.

Bob

I had an Irish grandmother on the Italian side.

Actually, I just did a DNA test through one of the heritage sites and it came back 50% Scandinavian, 37% Italian and the rest smatterings of other. So anything is possible.

The results I've gotten seem whacky. and I've been reading up on the testing.
It so happens that yesterday I read:

“Ethnicity estimates provided by testing companies attempt to break down the test-taker’s DNA into continental or regional sources. Although these estimates are notoriously poor, they can have genealogical applications, particularly if the research question involves a recent ancestor with a distinct ethnicity. For example, finding numerous segments of DNA which the testing company identifies as “African” can support a hypothesis for a recent ancestor with African ancestry. ”

Excerpt From: Blaine Bettinger. “The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy.” iBooks. https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZS ... 7DA8006406

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

BenModel

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 8:45 am

SeminaryGuy wrote:
I thought this was odd, but I think this was the order that the scenes were in on the Library of Congress file. But you're right...it's an odd order for the scenes.

Preserved as found. Not restored, just preserved as found. Many archival prints/negs of silents are like this.

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com and get an exclusive link to watch a rare comedy short
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter and on Instagram
Silent Film Music Podcast available on iTunes

Jim Harwood

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 4:31 pm

BenModel wrote:
SeminaryGuy wrote:

Preserved as found. Not restored, just preserved as found. Many archival prints/negs of silents are like this.

Ben

Having worked at LOC for many years, I know they only "preserve as found." Believe me, it took them forever to get the two incomplete nitrate prints of Talmadge's KIKI put into sequence years ago.

I had just thought that once PRIDE OF PALOMAR was digitized that someone could have easily moved the scenes around back into their original order.

drednm

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Jim Harwood wrote:
BenModel wrote:
SeminaryGuy wrote:

Ben

Having worked at LOC for many years, I know they only "preserve as found." Believe me, it took them forever to get the two incomplete nitrate prints of Talmadge's KIKI put into sequence years ago.

I had just thought that once PRIDE OF PALOMAR was digitized that someone could have easily moved the scenes around back into their original order.

Sure. Once someone notices the problem, it can be done.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
Previous

Return to Silent News