Pride of Palomar (1922) to be given a transfer/release!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

pmcinern

Pride of Palomar (1922) to be given a transfer/release!

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 2:00 pm

Hey gang, if anyone's interested, Borzage's The Pride of Palomar (1922) is coming out of the vaults in a couple months. I'm with r/TrueFilm, and we've just started a Kickstarter campaign to raise the transfer funds from the Library of Congress. So far, it's doing great. After that, we're going to touch it up, get our composer to score it, release it on DVD, and release a Digital Dossier on the man and the movie; 400+ pages. We've got world renown critics already donating pieces to the project, I've called up all the major archives for anything they have on Borzage and PoP, and we're going to make this a top tier release. Also, it's all free. If you're not interested in the project, but still want to watch the movie, no worries.

I was hesitant about posting this here, at the risk of seeming like self-promotion. It's not; I figured this would be something you all would really dig. For those of you who do want more information, let me know. Also, if you want to get in on the project, it's a community thing. If your talents can go towards making it better, and you'd like to help out, that's wonderful. You can check out the page here https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1370529624/release-a-forgotten-film-by-a-master-of-silent-cin. Thanks guys.
Last edited by pmcinern on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Cohen

Re: Pride of Palomar (1922) to be released for the first tim

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Hesitate not. Nitratevillians love to hear about AND support this kind of effort. Thanks and keep us in the loop.

boblipton

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 4:02 pm

It's always good to hear from someone trying to get these old films we love out to us. Draw up a chair, feel free to join in our wranglings and I look forward to seeing the final project.

Mike, this looks like another item I'd like to see nailed to the top of the Silent News Board until it funds.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Danny Burk

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 5:34 pm

Great news, and thanks for posting - I'm in.

Rick Lanham

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 5:56 pm

In.
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

pmcinern

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 7:00 pm

Eric, Bob, Danny, Rick, thanks for the support! This is our first Kickstarter, so we're unsure how they usually go, but we just hit 1/3 of our goal in the first day. Woohoo!

The one big question mark for us is the touch ups that may be required after we get the scan; I'm unsure what a 2k scan of a 90 year-old movie will look like, even under the expert supervision of the LoC. We have a lot of potential leads on people who can help cleaning the film up, but I'm sure I don't need to say the amount of stock I'm putting in that. Suffice it to say, we're prepared to do the thing ourselves, devouring every piece of literature on the subject we can until it's go-time. If any of you are versed in touch ups and digital restoration, and are willing to lend a hand, we'd definitely welcome your skills and guidance. We need it, actually. Since it's not for profit, we can offer you a credit and a coke. A small coke.

Bob, you said you'd be down to dish, so here are some of the fun bits so far. The Digital Dossier is going to hopefully be massive. For just the one film alone, we went through all the old trade journals and compiled every mention of the movie from. 351 pages painstakingly preserved from the Media History Digital Library, to be exact, from '22 to '26. If possible, we'd like to include some of those pages in our dossier; if that's not doable, we'd at least want to link to some of them. But interestingly, a nationwide narrative of the movie emerged. You can trace the consistency of the response that theater owners received during its first run, all the way through to '26 when they pretty much had to stop showing it. We got a microfilm of the original press release sent to us from the Library of Congress, and it's batshit insane. "For a good turnout, gather up some local horses and host a race in front of your theater! When the crowd grows, have a 'spectator' declare, 'Boy, I wonder which one was Palomar!'" Or, "Send a letter to your patrons, saying, 'Dear Mrs. Franklin, you'll absolutely go mad for..." They sent letters?! Horse racing?! So, we're going to try to do the same for Borzage, make a fairly comprehensive encyclopedia of the guy. I'm trying to contact Herve Dumont, who wrote his biography. He would make a great addition to the project.

Aside from that, the only other piece of news, and this hasn't been announced yet, is potential bonus features for the DVD. None of us expected to be a third of the way there in the first 24 hrs, and while we realize that the lull is coming, there's a very real chance we'll exceed our goals. Maybe even by a significant amount. If that's the case, and we reach a certain next benchmark in funding, I don't see why we couldn't ask the LoC to set up another transfer for three of his incomplete silents that they're holding. The plan is, if we reach our goal, for our next project to be bigger. Big enough, maybe, that an extra thousand or two dollars from this campaign (which we were/are going to put toward the next project) might mean less than it would for this one. So, why not put that money back into the project? Why not get some more Borzage out of the vaults? That's just an idea; we'll see how it goes. But this is has been a pretty exciting 24 hours. Hopefully, we'll kick some ass.
Last edited by pmcinern on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dgunning

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 9:07 pm

I'm in.

Murnau

PostSun Jun 26, 2016 11:58 pm

I'm in.

R Michael Pyle

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 6:08 am

I'm in, too.

drednm

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 6:53 am

In.............
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

pmcinern

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 7:14 am

dgunning, Murnau, R Michael, drednm, can't thank you enough for the love.

If you're interested, for fun (and awareness), our subreddit is going to host screenings of Borzage films on cytube over the course of the campaign. If anyone's down to watch his stuff and chat with us, those screenings are usually a great time. We might even be able to get a movie of his made before PoP. That would be so cool! Also, we have a Slack team set up with a PoP channel devoted to the project. If you're interested in seeing how it's coming along on a minute-by-minute basis (right now, for instance, we're seeing if we can get away with old restoration software without blowing up our crappy computers), stop by. https://whispering-temple-35722.herokuapp.com/That's a program we set up to auto-invite you so you're not waiting around.

I should mention, since this is all gonna be free eventually anyways, if any of you want to check out the stuff we already have, like the trades or the microfilm scans or stills, I'd be happy to share them with you. Hopefully Paramount and Herrick will be getting back to me today with some info on their archives. Which reminds me, I've got some phone calls to make! Hopefully the Eastman House has some Borzage stuff. If you've got any suggestions on how to make this whole thing better, do share. You guys know way more about this time period than I do, I'm sure, so you may have questions I don't even know to ask yet.

pmcinern

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 12:59 pm

Update: I figured you had to know. I thought we would get one or two donations from NitrateVille. Mostly, we were just excited to have you excited. Nope. After direct traffic from Kickstarter itself, you're our biggest donors. I'm pretty taken aback right now, and just wanted to say thanks.

http://imgur.com/dcA6VEC
Last edited by silentfilm on Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected Image Imbed

Petebain

Re: Pride of Palomar (1922) to be given a transfer/release!

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 6:14 pm

I'm in too!

pmcinern

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Thanks, Pete!

DavidWelling

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 8:55 pm

I'm in now! Yay!

pmcinern

PostThu Jun 30, 2016 9:10 pm

David, I bow to you. Too much, in fact.

Roseha

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 7:50 am

I just saw this, I'm in too! Excited to see more silent Borzage, great project.
- Rosemary

drednm

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 8:05 am

reward levels are a bit confusing... and some are "closed"?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

pmcinern

PostFri Jul 01, 2016 10:52 am

Rosemary, thank you!!

Ed, that's my goof. I'm sorry. I accidentally said that one level offered T-shirts, when it didn't. The next level did. But since you can't edit your tiers, I had to adjust the availability to "Sold out" and create a duplicate without my error. I know it looks a little goofy, and I'm kicking myself in the head every day about it. Apologies. (to be clear, in case this applies to any of you, if you were one of the first 4 people who pledged when the error was still up, we're honoring what we advertised, and you're getting the t-shirt)

pmcinern

PostMon Jul 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Update: The project is 100% funded! Over $1,000, nearly a quarter of our pledges, have come from you. I can't thank you enough. If we can keep this up, like I said the other day, we might be able to swing some extra footage from other incomplete films. Might. Thanks again: you all are the real deal.

Mark Zimmer

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 9:47 am

In as well. Bonus features that include bits of incompletely-surviving films that would never support their own release are always welcome to me (hint hint).

pmcinern

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 1:25 pm

(edited out a silly joke. Thanks to everyone for their support to the project, and especially to the Library of Congress for everything they do for film culture, history and preservation!)
Last edited by pmcinern on Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bor Enots

PostTue Jul 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Please explain what was said by the Library of Congress.

boblipton

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 4:04 am

"This is a robbery. Take all the reels of Hats Off and put them in this bag or Ham & Bud over there get it."

Bob
Last edited by boblipton on Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

rudyfan

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 7:20 am

Already in! More Borzage, why thank you!

pmcinern

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 8:04 am

rudyfan, you rock!

Bor Enots, to be clear, we haven't contacted the LoC about Borzage's incomplete footage yet, that's a pie-in-the-sky dream we're looking toward. I'd hate to make the staff rummage through inventory and come up w/ estimates and all that, only to have us not meet the next goal. But it looks like the donations are still going strong, so I'll call you up today!
Last edited by pmcinern on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

martin arias

PostWed Jul 06, 2016 3:47 pm

in!

pmcinern

PostSat Jul 09, 2016 10:33 am

Martin, thank you! You rock.

Rick Lanham

PostSat Jul 23, 2016 6:01 pm

Just a couple of days left to contribute and get any reward(s)...
They've made goal, but don't forget if you were intending to help.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

CoffeeDan

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 8:00 am

Well, I thought and thought, hemmed and hawed, until I realized that of all the overtime I racked up this month easily amounted to a lot more than a $50 pledge, so . . . I just became donor #249 this morning. Eagerly awaiting the results!
Next

Return to Silent News