Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Jim Reid

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 9:49 pm

I have to chime in here also. Jon's score of Old Ironsides was one of the two best scores I've ever been present to hear.
Oddly enough, the other best score was Phil Carli playing for Old Ironsides in Columbus two years earlier on piano.
Maybe there's just something about that film!

Scoundrel

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 1:13 pm

KINO LORBER has announced on their Facebook page the upcoming release of two Fields comedies;

Coming Soon From Kino Classics!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New HD Masters From 2K Scans!

It’s the Old Army Game (1926) Starring W.C. Fields, Louise Brooks – Directed by A. Edward Sutherland

Running Wild (1926) Starring W.C. Fields, Mary Brian – Directed by Gregory La Cava
Last edited by Scoundrel on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Rodney

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 3:39 pm

Mark Zimmer wrote:As someone who has been doing synthesized music for nearly 20 years, it has really progressed to the point that it's largely indistinguishable from the real thing if it's in the hands of someone with the proper setup who knows what they are doing.

I'm pretty sure that the glorious score to Wings on the recent BluRay is a small-ish collection of soloists playing real instruments, backed by a virtual symphony of digital instrument and string section samples. It is possible to make such hybrid symphonic orchestras sound very real, but it does take some musical knowledge -- knowing how a flute player approaches a phrase, where they would breathe, where they would add a touch of vibrato on a long-held note. A good digital library will have "programs" for playing violins in a dozen different styles, with different bowings and attacks, to bring it closer to how a real string section would approach the music.

Naturally, Hollywood musicians are the pros at this, since such corners are cut routinely when making film and television scores these days. For instance, Game of Thrones uses mostly synthetic instruments; though the choir is real (voices may be the most difficult instrument to sample, especially if you want them singing words) and they occasionally bring in a real orchestra where the composer thinks it would be important.

That said, I think that Wings proves that it's not the presence of digital instruments on a silent film score that should trouble anyone. It's whether the musicians know what they're doing, and whether the score supports the film.

Back towards the topic: I can guarantee that Kino's release of Beggars of Life will be using real instruments, because that's how Mont Alto scores silent films. I'm looking forward to seeing how other musicians handle their commissions.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

R. Cat

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 5:04 pm

Rodney wrote:
Mark Zimmer wrote:As someone who has been doing synthesized music for nearly 20 years, it has really progressed to the point that it's largely indistinguishable from the real thing if it's in the hands of someone with the proper setup who knows what they are doing.

I'm pretty sure that the glorious score to Wings on the recent BluRay is a small-ish collection of soloists playing real instruments, backed by a virtual symphony of digital instrument and string section samples. It is possible to make such hybrid symphonic orchestras sound very real, but it does take some musical knowledge -- knowing how a flute player approaches a phrase, where they would breathe, where they would add a touch of vibrato on a long-held note. A good digital library will have "programs" for playing violins in a dozen different styles, with different bowings and attacks, to bring it closer to how a real string section would approach the music.

Naturally, Hollywood musicians are the pros at this, since such corners are cut routinely when making film and television scores these days. For instance, Game of Thrones uses mostly synthetic instruments; though the choir is real (voices may be the most difficult instrument to sample, especially if you want them singing words) and they occasionally bring in a real orchestra where the composer thinks it would be important.

That said, I think that Wings proves that it's not the presence of digital instruments on a silent film score that should trouble anyone. It's whether the musicians know what they're doing, and whether the score supports the film.

Back towards the topic: I can guarantee that Kino's release of Beggars of Life will be using real instruments, because that's how Mont Alto scores silent films. I'm looking forward to seeing how other musicians handle their commissions.

Thanks, Rodney. Obviously this will be a first day purchase!

wich2

PostFri Mar 31, 2017 5:52 pm

"I think that Wings proves that it's not the presence of digital instruments on a silent film score that should trouble anyone. It's whether the musicians know what they're doing, and whether the score supports the film."

(Italics mine.)

And there it is.

Lostintime

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 2:11 pm

R. Cat wrote:
Rodney wrote:

Thanks, Rodney. Obviously this will be a first day purchase!

I will buy it too without any hesitation!

mwalls

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 7:30 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:The world is divided into two kinds of people, people who won't buy The Sheik because it has an Alloy score, and people who won't buy The Sheik because it doesn't have a Gaylord Carter score.

This bodes really well for future Kino releases from Paramount. Me, I just placed orders for both*, to make up for someone else.

* Not actually true, but when I can, I will.

It appears that you can now pre-order The Sheik and Son of Sheik. No pre-order information out yet for Beggars of Life or ZaZa. I would think ZaZa would be soon as I think the release date is close to the others.

Matthew

s.w.a.c.

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 9:23 pm

It would be nice if the recently found footage from Now We're in the Air could be included with Beggars of Life, since it can't really be released on its own.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

buskeat

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 1:54 pm

Little Caesar

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 5:36 pm

The Kino rep at the blu ray forum has also posted this:

"Manhandled (1924) is part of our Swanson/Dwan Trilogy to be released separately. Zaza (1923) , Manhandled (1924) and..."

So, I'm assuming that "Stage Struck" will be announced at some point (unless there's another surviving Swanson/Dwan title). I watched "Stage Struck" several years ago and wasn't much impressed (I thought that Swanson looked too mature and old for the part she was playing), but I'm willing to re-evaluate that opinion with a blu-ray release.
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

dede

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 10:46 pm

drednm

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 4:44 am

Little Caesar wrote:

"Manhandled (1924) is part of our Swanson/Dwan Trilogy to be released separately. Zaza (1923) , Manhandled (1924) and..."

So, I'm assuming that "Stage Struck" will be announced at some point (unless there's another surviving Swanson/Dwan title). I watched "Stage Struck" several years ago and wasn't much impressed (I thought that Swanson looked too mature and old for the part she was playing), but I'm willing to re-evaluate that opinion with a blu-ray release.

I disagree. I saw Stage Struck at Eastman years ago and thought it was terrific and Swanson glorious in it. The color footage was pristine and spectacular. But then Swanson is a favorite. I wonder of Fine Manners, which I also saw at Eastman, will be upcoming as well?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

Little Caesar

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 4:20 pm

drednm wrote:
Little Caesar wrote:

I disagree. I saw Stage Struck at Eastman years ago and thought it was terrific and Swanson glorious in it. The color footage was pristine and spectacular. But then Swanson is a favorite. I wonder of Fine Manners, which I also saw at Eastman, will be upcoming as well?

Again, I'm willing to spend some moola to give that film another chance. Perhaps I wasn't in the right mood when I watched it (and to be honest, you saw it under much finer settings than I did). Actually, I remembered thinking at that time that someone like Marion Davies would have been a better match for that film than Swanson.

The Kino rep at the blu-ray forum just said that there are two Paramount silents left to be announced as a part of this current deal, but that neither of them are on the scale of The Wedding March (which they did ask for but didn't get - a curse on you Criterion!).

mwalls

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 4:32 pm

The Kino rep at the blu-ray forum just said that there are two Paramount silents left to be announced as a part of this current deal, but that neither of them are on the scale of The Wedding March (which they did ask for but didn't get - a curse on you Criterion!).

This has been an amazing list so far; and two more! Would the third Swanson/Dwan collaboration be one of those two, or does that mean there are two beyond the already mentioned third Swanson/Dwan film?

I have been trying to keep score. Here is what we have so far:

ZaZa
Beggars of Life
The Shiek
Son of the Shiek
It’s the old Army Game
Manhandled
Stage Struck
Running Wild
?
?

Matthew
Last edited by mwalls on Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drednm

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 4:42 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Sheik-Blu-ray-Ru ... +the+sheik" target="_blank

with score by Ben Model .... but apparently on BLU only!
Last edited by drednm on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Danny Burk

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 7:07 pm

Little Caesar wrote:The Kino rep at the blu-ray forum just said that there are two Paramount silents left to be announced as a part of this current deal, but that neither of them are on the scale of The Wedding March (which they did ask for but didn't get - a curse on you Criterion!).

Seems like a good chance of those being COVERED WAGON and OLD IRONSIDES.

Dean Thompson

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm

Danny Burk wrote:

As Hamlet says, 'tis a consummation devoutly to be wish'd.

Harold Aherne

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 9:04 pm

I'm not clear on why Paramount would be involved in Son of the Sheik, since it was a Feature Productions/United Artists release in 1926, with the 1937 reissue handled by Artcinema Associates. Has Paramount acquired it since?

-HA

Christopher Jacobs

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 10:23 pm

Dean Thompson wrote:
Danny Burk wrote:

As Hamlet says, 'tis a consummation devoutly to be wish'd.

Those would both be outstanding on Blu-ray with good scores. I'd still really like to see the 1925 LORD JIM get a good Blu-ray treatment. Perhaps the rights are tied up due to the Columbia remake (which also needs a good Blu-ray edition).

rudyfan

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 9:43 pm

dede wrote:Stage Struck also announced.

https://www.facebook.com/kinolorberinc/ ... =3&theater" target="_blank

OMG!!!!!! This is a dream come true!

buskeat

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 8:11 am

From Kino Lorber's Facebook page this morning, the first official date:

Coming June 6th! First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!
Zaza (1923) Starring Gloria Swanson - Directed by Allan Dwan
SPECIAL FEATURES
• Piano score composed and performed by Jeff Rapsis, adapted from the original 1923 cue sheet
• Audio commentary by Frederic Lombardi, author of Allan Dwan and the Rise and Decline of the Hollywood Studios
• Booklet essay by film historian Imogen Sara Smith

Mark Zimmer

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 10:12 am

Very nice. Now, let's see if Kino Lorber can manage not to screw this up as they have so many other silent releases. :evil:

drednm

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 10:23 am

Finally got a response from Kino on FB that all these releases will be DVD and BLU.... The preorder on Amazon for The Sheik says BLU only. They might want to fix that.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Gagman 66

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 10:33 pm

:o This is simply amazing news! Three Swanson titles that We had pretty much given up hope in ever seeing receive an official release. I concur with Ed that FINE MANNERS is also a terrific film. One of my favorites. So it would be wonderful to see that as well. As for these 3 I sincerely hope that TCM will license them. As I mentioned on another group, they may have access to enough films now to potentially feature Swanson for a whole day on Summer Under The Stars in August. Probably won't happen this year, but maybe soon. Certainly something for them to consider. Gloria might also have some premiere's during TCM's Trail Blazing Woman fest in October. :)

CoffeeDan

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Mark Zimmer wrote:Very nice. Now, let's see if Kino Lorber can manage not to screw this up as they have so many other silent releases. :evil:

Well, I think that a score by a fellow Nitratevillian is a step in the right direction . . .

Little Caesar

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 9:34 pm

FWIW, the Kino rep at the blu-ray forum just stated that one of the two unannounced Paramount silents will be revealed this coming Saturday. I'm personally hoping for either The Covered Wagon or Old Ironsides.

mwalls

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 2:06 pm

ZaZa is now available for pre-order on Amazon. Release date is still listed as 6 June.

Matthew

Mitch Farish

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Little Caesar wrote:FWIW, the Kino rep at the blu-ray forum just stated that one of the two unannounced Paramount silents will be revealed this coming Saturday. I'm personally hoping for either The Covered Wagon or Old Ironsides.

Could we finally be getting STARK LOVE?

Dean Thompson

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Mitch Farish wrote:
Could we finally be getting STARK LOVE?

I would die of happiness if we did. Old Ironsides and The Covered Wagon are more-or-less safe commercial bets for Kino, but if Stark Love were to be the artsy companion to Beggars of Life, we wouldn't be doing too badly, would we?

Matthew, thanks for the heads up about Zaza. I pre-ordered it a few minutes ago after I figured out (caveat emptor, friends) the revamped search options on Amazon.

precode

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 9:45 pm

We should also urge them about Raymond Griffith--HANDS UP! at the very least.

Mike S.
PreviousNext

Return to Silent News