Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

mwalls

  • Posts: 510
  • Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:02 am
  • Location: Greensboro, NC

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 8:24 pm

Offline
User avatar

Harold Aherne

  • Posts: 1708
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:08 pm
  • Location: North Dakota

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 2:24 pm

Manhandled and Stage Struck have been announced for 10 April; details and artwork are at message 249 below:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/kino-lorber-insider-read-guidelines-post-3.355034/page-13

-HA
Offline
User avatar

rudyfan

  • Posts: 1832
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:48 am
  • Location: San Fwancisco

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 4:40 pm

Harold Aherne wrote:Manhandled and Stage Struck have been announced for 10 April; details and artwork are at message 249 below:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/kino-lorber-insider-read-guidelines-post-3.355034/page-13

-HA



Ooooooooh! I can't wait! I love both these films!
Offline
User avatar

drednm

  • Posts: 7314
  • Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
  • Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 8:08 pm

Harold Aherne wrote:Manhandled and Stage Struck have been announced for 10 April; details and artwork are at message 249 below:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/kino-lorber-insider-read-guidelines-post-3.355034/page-13

-HA


YAY!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com
Offline
User avatar

mwalls

  • Posts: 510
  • Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:02 am
  • Location: Greensboro, NC

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 1:15 pm

Manhandled is now available for pre-order.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Manhandled-Blu-ray/177426/?e=1

Matthew
Offline
User avatar

Mitch Farish

  • Posts: 726
  • Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:30 am
  • Location: Charlottesville, VA

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Stage Struck is also available for pre-order.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079PDLQHL/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1DNRIO2RHSX6A&colid=ISX2PW5DSGEG&psc=0

And DVDBeaver has a review of The Covered Wagon blu-ray, with screen caps!

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/dvd_reviews_67/the_covered_wagon_blu-ray.htm
Offline
User avatar

missdupont

  • Posts: 2366
  • Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:48 pm
  • Location: California

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 9:10 am

The Silent Treatment in LA showed THE COVERED WAGON at the Autry Museum a few weeks ago, and it looked really good. The archivist who worked on it gave a little talk beforehand. They didn't do a full restoration but made a preservation copy, which the DVD is struck from.
Offline

Metaldams

  • Posts: 32
  • Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:48 pm

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostSun Mar 04, 2018 9:41 am

Just another reminder for W.C. Fields fans that RUNNING WILD and IT'S THE OLD ARMY GAME are out 3/13. Just found out myself and placed my order. Really looking forward to this, and I've never seen the latter.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... khWDJnWdqx" target="_blank

Click above to see why I'm the loudest silent film fan in the world. \m/
Offline
User avatar

Mitch Farish

  • Posts: 726
  • Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:30 am
  • Location: Charlottesville, VA

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 11:48 am

I see on Amazon that KINO's release of Manhandled is 63 min. I was under the impression that Eastman House had a complete 75 min. print. Is there a 75 min. print out there somewhere? And will the KINO print be 63 min., or will it be the complete print?
Offline

moviepas

  • Posts: 1028
  • Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Blu Ray.com says 75mins

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Manhandle ... ay/177426/" target="_blank
Offline

nolisome

  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:17 pm

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 2:48 pm

Manhandled and Stage Struck both arrive a couple of hours ago. Neither seems to have been subject to any digital restoration. Manhandled is scanned from a dupey and scratchy print. Stage struck offers a much better viewing experience from a really nice old Eastman House nitrate print it would appear. The two-strip Technicolor prologue and epilogue allow us to see more of the magic of Gloria Swanson. The color is surprisingly natural looking at times and the edge deterioration is mild.

Worth buying
Offline
User avatar

rudyfan

  • Posts: 1832
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:48 am
  • Location: San Fwancisco

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 4:55 pm

nolisome wrote:Manhandled and Stage Struck both arrive a couple of hours ago. Neither seems to have been subject to any digital restoration. Manhandled is scanned from a dupey and scratchy print. Stage struck offers a much better viewing experience from a really nice old Eastman House nitrate print it would appear. The two-strip Technicolor prologue and epilogue allow us to see more of the magic of Gloria Swanson. The color is surprisingly natural looking at times and the edge deterioration is mild.

Worth buying


Both are in the mailbox at home waiting for me. I'm going to give myself a 3 day weekend coming up. I will be watching. I love both films.

Is the Manhandled better than the Grapevine, I wonder? I hope so!
Offline
User avatar

precode

  • Posts: 485
  • Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:49 pm
  • Location: Shemptown

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 8:17 pm

nolisome wrote:Manhandled and Stage Struck both arrive a couple of hours ago. Neither seems to have been subject to any digital restoration. Manhandled is scanned from a dupey and scratchy print. Stage struck offers a much better viewing experience from a really nice old Eastman House nitrate print it would appear. The two-strip Technicolor prologue and epilogue allow us to see more of the magic of Gloria Swanson. The color is surprisingly natural looking at times and the edge deterioration is mild.

Worth buying


That's odd. When I was at Paramount I made a 35 of MANHANDLED off whatever negative was in the lab and it was fine. I wonder why this would look sub-standard. (Amusing anecdote: When the print arrived at the depot, they called and said it was defective--no soundtrack!)

Mike S.
Offline
User avatar

Danny Burk

Moderator

  • Posts: 1631
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:11 pm
  • Location: South Bend, IN

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 9:41 pm

I watched MANHANDLED last night, and was surprised (before viewing) to read the liner notes, which said that no 35mm exists; this version is made from material held by Lobster and by Indiana University. I assume that the latter must have been a Kodascope from David Bradley's collection.

Quality is very uneven throughout, and changes from one print to another are obvious. My guess is that the Lobster contributions are material that's not part of the Kodascope version; does anyone have further info?

Edit: I just checked the LOC database; they list numerous holdings, all with only the Kodascope version. Mike, is there a 35mm print that's in hiding somewhere?
Offline
User avatar

drednm

  • Posts: 7314
  • Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
  • Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 3:11 am

So Swanson's Chaplin bit is still missing?

I've seen the Bradley print from Indiana and thought it was in quite good shape....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com
Offline

smokey15

  • Posts: 102
  • Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:18 am
  • Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Does anyone know if any more Paramount silents are coming out on Blu-ray/DVD in the near future?
Offline
User avatar

Danny Burk

Moderator

  • Posts: 1631
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:11 pm
  • Location: South Bend, IN

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 3:27 pm

smokey15 wrote:Does anyone know if any more Paramount silents are coming out on Blu-ray/DVD in the near future?

I hope so! They were quoted somewhere online that they will keep making more as long as there are buyers.

And @Ed - correct, there is no Chaplin bit in the new MANHANDLED disc.
Offline

dede

  • Posts: 65
  • Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:07 pm
  • Location: Melbourne

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 7:08 pm

I have Manhandled in my Amazon cart. Is it worth getting or should I wait until there is confirmation that there's no better version out there somewhere?
Offline
User avatar

Thad Komorowski

  • Posts: 90
  • Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 7:42 pm

smokey15 wrote:Does anyone know if any more Paramount silents are coming out on Blu-ray/DVD in the near future?


Yes, there are.
Offline
User avatar

precode

  • Posts: 485
  • Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:49 pm
  • Location: Shemptown

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 9:16 pm

Danny Burk wrote:I watched MANHANDLED last night, and was surprised (before viewing) to read the liner notes, which said that no 35mm exists; this version is made from material held by Lobster and by Indiana University. I assume that the latter must have been a Kodascope from David Bradley's collection.

Quality is very uneven throughout, and changes from one print to another are obvious. My guess is that the Lobster contributions are material that's not part of the Kodascope version; does anyone have further info?

Edit: I just checked the LOC database; they list numerous holdings, all with only the Kodascope version. Mike, is there a 35mm print that's in hiding somewhere?


I suspect that the 35 I made was junked. When I was fired by Paramount in 1993, they stupidly trashed a lot of the prints I made (including a tinted print of TESS OF THE STORM COUNTRY) just to be spiteful, not considering that those were corporate assets that could have continued to generate income.

This may be another instance of people just assuming the studio had no elements without even bothering to ask. Remember people driving themselves crazy trying to restore OLD DARK HOUSE when the original elements were sitting in the Universal vault all along?

Mike S.
Offline
User avatar

Danny Burk

Moderator

  • Posts: 1631
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:11 pm
  • Location: South Bend, IN

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 9:22 pm

precode wrote:I suspect that the 35 I made was junked. When I was fired by Paramount in 1993, they stupidly trashed a lot of the prints I made (including a tinted print of TESS OF THE STORM COUNTRY) just to be spiteful, not considering that those were corporate assets that could have continued to generate income.

This may be another instance of people just assuming the studio had no elements without even bothering to ask. Remember people driving themselves crazy trying to restore OLD DARK HOUSE when the original elements were sitting in the Universal vault all along?

Mike S.

It's a sad thing that this doesn't surprise me. I hope they still have the neg, or it's likely gone in 35mm.
Offline
User avatar

Danny Burk

Moderator

  • Posts: 1631
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:11 pm
  • Location: South Bend, IN

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 9:23 pm

Thad Komorowski wrote:
smokey15 wrote:Does anyone know if any more Paramount silents are coming out on Blu-ray/DVD in the near future?


Yes, there are.

Any info that you can share?
Offline
User avatar

Harold Aherne

  • Posts: 1708
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:08 pm
  • Location: North Dakota

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 12:41 pm

dede wrote:I have Manhandled in my Amazon cart. Is it worth getting or should I wait until there is confirmation that there's no better version out there somewhere?


Whether something better is out there is one thing -- whether anyone's going to revisit Manhandled is another.

The startlingly clear restorations and releases of various early films have spoiled us, in some ways, for the fact that other titles don't survive (or aren't readily accessible) in comparable condition, and Manhandled might be one of those cases. I just finished viewing it, and for most silent film habitués the new Blu-ray will be watchable. At times the picture looks very good indeed (all the captions are legible, and the various handwritten notes in the film are too, generally speaking); at other points things are quite rough. Generally the rough sections aren't very long; the lengthiest section of rough-looking footage is at the party where Ann Pennington and Brooke Johns are making their cameos. Given the choice of including this material or leaving it out, Kino certainly made the correct choice to include it.

If someone chose to invest six figures (or more) to clean up and stabilise every frame, Manhandled might look a notch better, but until then, I'd say to go with it.

Captures from DVD Beaver:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/dvd_reviews_67/manhandled_blu-ray.htm

--HA
Offline
User avatar

drednm

  • Posts: 7314
  • Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
  • Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 1:42 pm

The new Kino BLU/DVD was sourced from the David Bradley Collection print at Indana University. It's the best print I've seen of Manhandled. I was able to borrow a DVD of this through interlibrary loan several years ago. It seems unlikely a better print is going to surface, but you never know.

As for the film itself, it's definitely worth seeing since it's a real departure for Swanson from her "clothes horse" De Mille/Paramount films.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com
Offline
User avatar

Thad Komorowski

  • Posts: 90
  • Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:44 pm

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 2:17 pm

And Stage Struck did have image restoration.
Offline
User avatar

Danny Burk

Moderator

  • Posts: 1631
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:11 pm
  • Location: South Bend, IN

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 4:43 pm

Thad Komorowski wrote:And Stage Struck did have image restoration.

STAGE STRUCK is gorgeous, and a great film - I watched it a couple of nights ago.
Offline
User avatar

precode

  • Posts: 485
  • Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:49 pm
  • Location: Shemptown

Re: Kino to release blu-rays/DVDs of some Paramount silents

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 7:37 pm

Danny Burk wrote:
precode wrote:I suspect that the 35 I made was junked. When I was fired by Paramount in 1993, they stupidly trashed a lot of the prints I made (including a tinted print of TESS OF THE STORM COUNTRY) just to be spiteful, not considering that those were corporate assets that could have continued to generate income.

This may be another instance of people just assuming the studio had no elements without even bothering to ask. Remember people driving themselves crazy trying to restore OLD DARK HOUSE when the original elements were sitting in the Universal vault all along?

Mike S.

It's a sad thing that this doesn't surprise me. I hope they still have the neg, or it's likely gone in 35mm.


I don't think they would throw the neg away, but it's not likely they're going to do anything with it, at least in the near future. Look how long it took them to put WINGS on DVD!

Mike S.
Previous

Return to Silent News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests