Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers Kickstarter from Kino

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

MattBarry

Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers Kickstarter from Kino

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 2:32 pm

Kino Lorber Launches Kickstarter Campaign to Fund PIONEERS: FIRST WOMEN FILMMAKERS
Click here to go to Kickstarter

Five-Disc Box Set To Showcase Films by Early Women Directors. Executive Produced by Illeana Douglas, Collection Will Include HD Restorations of Original Film Elements From the Library of Congress and Other Major Film Archives

On Wednesday, October 19th, Kino Lorber launches a new Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers, an unprecedented collection of key works by important early women directors including Alice Guy Blaché, Lois Weber, Nell Shipman, Dorothy Davenport-Reid, and many more, made during the silent era between 1910 and 1929.

Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers will be executive-produced by filmmaker and actress Illeana Douglas (Goodfellas , Cape Fear, Ghost World), and produced by Bret Wood, who previously produced Pioneers of African-American Cinema, as well as restorations of films of Buster Keaton, D.W. Griffith, Erich von Stroheim, and many others for Kino Lorber. The selection of films will be curated by Shelley Stamp, Professor of Film & Digital Media at the University of California, Santa Cruz and author of two award-winning books, Lois Weber in Early Hollywood and Movie-Struck Girls: Women and Motion Picture Culture after the Nicklodeon.

In early 2015, Kino Lorber mounted a successful crowd-funding campaign for Pioneers of African-American Cinema. The overwhelming support of its Kickstarter supporters allowed the project to expand from a modest collection of films into a monumental five-disc collection, fully loaded with extras and accompanied by an 80-page booklet. Because of the groundswell of interest and enthusiasm of its supporters, Pioneers became a film history phenomenon: spawning theatrical retrospectives, garnering praise in mainstream media outlets (National Public Radio, The New York Times, The Guardian, Turner Classic Movies, and others), and earning a video release in the United Kingdom.

Now, Kino Lorber continues the legacy begun by Pioneers of African-American Cinema with a new project, equally ambitious in scale, and every bit as historically significant: Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers. Presented in association with the Library of Congress (and drawing from the collections of other world-renowned film archives), Pioneers will be the largest commercially-released video collection of films by women directors, and will focus on American films made between 1910 and 1929 -- a crucial chapter of our cultural history.

By showcasing the ambitious, inventive films from the golden age of women directors, we can get a sense of what was lost by the marginalization of women to "support roles" within the film industry.

As with its previous Pioneers project, Kino Lorber will collaborate with the major international archives to present new HD restorations of not just the most important films of the era, but also the lesser-known (but no less historically important) works: short films, fragments, isolated chapters of incomplete serials. The five-Blu-ray box set will include approximately twenty hours of material -- not only showcasing the work of these under-appreciated filmmakers, but also illuminating the gradual changes in how women directors were perceived (and treated) by the Hollywood establishment.

"The names Alice Guy Blache, Lois Weber, Dorothy Davenport Reid, and other significant female directors deserve to have their names celebrated next to DeMille's, and Griffith's as the early pioneers of Hollywood," said Illeana Douglas. "Just as these woman told powerful stories to raise awareness and educate, we must do the same! I am honored to be a part of Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers, so that these films, and filmmakers, can be put in the pantheon of cinema where they belong."

The full list of films is to be determined, but collection will likely include works by:

Ruth Ann Baldwin: 49-'17
Alice Guy Blaché: Canned Harmony, A House Divided, The Ocean Waif
Grace Cunard: The Purple Mask serial (misc. episodes)
Dorothy Davenport Reid: The Red Kimona
Gene Gauntier: A Girl Spy Before Vicksburg, Further Adventures of the Girl Spy
Helen Holmes: The Hazards of Helen serial (misc. episodes)
Cleo Madison: Her Defiance, Eleanor's Catch
Frances Marion: Just Around the Corner
Mabel Normand: Caught in a Cabaret, Mabel's Blunder
Ida May Park: Bread
Nell Shipman: Something New
Lois Weber: Fine Feathers, From Death to Life, The Rosary, Suspense, Hypocrites, Where Are My Children?
Elsie Jane Wilson: The Dream Lady

The collection is presented in association with the Library of Congress, New York Women in Film & Television, George Eastman Museum, UCLA Film & Television Archive, Lobster Films / Film Preservation Associates, the British Film Institute, Archives Canada, and the Academy Film Library.

__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

Saint-Just

Re: Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers Kickstarter from Kino

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 3:28 pm

Why don't we finish funding Little Mickey Grogan first? Most of these have already been on home video.

Frederica

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Saint-Just wrote:Why don't we finish funding Little Mickey Grogan first? Most of these have already been on home video.

Couldn't we do both?
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

boblipton

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 4:01 pm

Could one of the admins pin this to the top of the SILENT NEWS section?

Bob
New and vigorous impulses seem to me to be at work in it,[the cinema] and doubtless before long it will drop all slavish copying of the stage and strike out along fresh paths. -- Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree

rudyfan

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 4:02 pm

I backed the African American Pioneers and I am backing Women Pioneers. There is room for restorations of all of these and the snippets. Looking forward to following the progress.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 5:12 pm

Pinned at the top. Shortly to be backed.

Here's my suggestion for the set, which I saw at Cinesation: What's Worth While. Directed by Weber, starring Louis Calhern and Claire Windsor, in a story about society gal Windsor trying to ruin rugged outdoorsman Calhern (!) by making him acceptable to society. The problem that makes it unreleasable in the normal sense is that the first few minutes are missing, but LOC covered that with a few titles and it's quite good from there on. A set like this is the perfect place to put a film like that.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

drednm

PostWed Oct 19, 2016 7:21 pm

Pearl White?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com

DShepFilm

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 10:18 am

I'm sure our friends at Kino Lorber will do a first class job with this ambitious project. However, I guess circumstances force a premature admission that I am working on a somewhat similar set that will be released next year through Flicker Alley, although we are not raising funds through Kickstarter. We coordinated planning with Kino and whereas their set will include exclusively American films, ours will be international in scope. Together we managed to winnow things so there will probably be only one reel of overlap ("Suspense" by Lois Weber). As this will be Blu-Ray, any film that has been previously released on DVD will be rescanned from the original celluloid elements.

We're still gathering some of the necessary rights, but here is our tentative line-up:

EARLY WOMEN DIRECTORS

ALICE GUY (France) (1902-1912)
LES CHIENS SAVANTS
UNE HISTOIRE ROULANTES
ALICE GUY BLACHÉ (U.S.A.)
FALLING LEAVES
MAKING AN AMERICAN CITIZEN
THE GIRL IN THE ARMCHAIR

LOIS WEBER (U.S.A.) (1912-1921)
DISCONTENT
SUSPENSE
THE BLOT

MABEL NORMAND (U.S.A.) (1914)
MABEL’S STRANGE PREDICAMENT*

MADELEINE BRANDEIS (U.S.A.) (1918)
THE STAR PRINCE

GERMAINE DULAC (France) (1919-1922)
LA CIGARETTE
THE SMILING MME. BEUDET

OLGA PREOBRAZHENSKAIA (U.S.S.R.) (1927)
THE PEASANT WOMEN OF RIAZAN

MARIE-LOUISE IREBE (France) (1929)
LE ROI DES AULNES (THE ERL-KING)

LOTTE REINIGER (Germany) (1931-1935)
HARLEQUIN
THE STOLEN HEART
PAPAGENO

CLAIRE PARKER AND ALEXANDER ALEXIEFF (France) (1933)
A NIGHT ON BALD MOUNTAIN

MARIE EPSTEIN AND JEAN BENOIT-LEVY (France) (1933)
LA MATERNELLE (CHILDREN OF MONTMARTRE), complete restored version

MRS. WALLACE REID (U.S.A.) (1934)
THE WOMAN CONDEMNED

LENI RIEFENSTAHL (Germany) (1935)
DAY OF FREEDOM#

MARY ELLEN BUTE (U.S.A.)
PARABOLA (1936)
SPOOK SPORT (1938)

DOROTHY ARZNER
DANCE, GIRL, DANCE (clip) (1940)

MAYA DEREN (U.S.A.)
MESHES OF THE AFTERNOON (1943)

David Shepard

Saint-Just

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Frederica wrote:
Saint-Just wrote:Why don't we finish funding Little Mickey Grogan first? Most of these have already been on home video.

Couldn't we do both?

I might think so if the funding for Little Mickey Grogan wasn't lagging so; I don't understand how a hysteria for Little Orphant Annie could suddenly rise out of nowhere and seal funding for that in a couple of days, and yet have this seeming sustained yawn for Mickey Grogan. The existing elements on Mickey Grogan are superior, the star is still with us, and the pedigree of people involved is unsurpassed. If I'm missing something I wish someone would explain it to me.

Saint-Just

PostThu Oct 20, 2016 3:41 pm

I'm liking the Flicker Alley set very much.

Dan Oliver

PostFri Oct 21, 2016 7:23 am

Great news all around. I am backing the Kino set and very excited to learn of the Flicker Alley set. Good work, everyone!
--Dan

boblipton

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 6:27 pm

24 days to go and halfway there....

Bob
New and vigorous impulses seem to me to be at work in it,[the cinema] and doubtless before long it will drop all slavish copying of the stage and strike out along fresh paths. -- Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree

rudyfan

PostMon Oct 24, 2016 10:09 pm

DShepFilm wrote:I'm sure our friends at Kino Lorber will do a first class job with this ambitious project. However, I guess circumstances force a premature admission that I am working on a somewhat similar set that will be released next year through Flicker Alley, although we are not raising funds through Kickstarter. We coordinated planning with Kino and whereas their set will include exclusively American films, ours will be international in scope. Together we managed to winnow things so there will probably be only one reel of overlap ("Suspense" by Lois Weber). As this will be Blu-Ray, any film that has been previously released on DVD will be rescanned from the original celluloid elements.

We're still gathering some of the necessary rights, but here is our tentative line-up:

David Shepard

Oh boy! Count me in for this, too!

bigshot

PostSun Oct 30, 2016 2:03 pm

The lineup in the Flicker Alley set looks a lot better than the Kino.

Is Day of Freedom the film that was included with Triumph of the Will on blu-ray? If so, that is great. That Triumph blu-ray sucks royally. They defaced the films with continual inane text IDs burned in over the image.

SlyGuy

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 9:17 am

Frederica wrote:

Couldn't we do both?

Apparently not. Little Mickey Grogan hasn't had a contribution in three weeks. Truly a pity.

boblipton

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 6:18 am

Pledges have gone over the top.

Bob

K in VA

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 7:59 am

Great news!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Nov 16, 2016 10:32 am

Kino just sent out a press release on an addition to this set:

New York, NY - November 16, 2016 - Kino Lorber is proud to announce that it will release the rediscovered 1925 film MOTHERHOOD: LIFE'S GREATEST MIRACLE, directed by Lita Lawrence. Details of the film's production are still being researched, but there is every indication that this is the earliest surviving feature film directed by an African-American woman. The film is now being photochemically preserved by the Library of Congress, and will be digitally restored in 2K by Kino Lorber as part of its new archival project PIONEERS: FIRST WOMEN FILMMAKERS.

The historical significance of the film is not limited to the racial heritage of the filmmaker. MOTHERHOOD is a rare example of a silent film addressing topics of birth control and abortion (topics that were thoroughly taboo in the 1920s cinema). The film illuminates the degree to which women filmmakers of the silent era - usually working independent of the studios - were determined to broach controversial socio-political issues.

"This is an incredibly exciting find," says PIONEERS curator Shelley Stamp, "It confirms that African-American women have been making films for a lot longer than Hollywood likes to think. And it's fascinating to see a film made by a woman for women during the height of national debates about eugenics and the fight to legalize contraception. Many other similar films of this era are presumed lost, including Margaret Sanger's Birth Control and Lois Weber's The Hand That Rocks the Cradle - so it's all the more important to preserve MOTHERHOOD."

The 35mm nitrate print (with the original color tinting) was acquired in 2015 by the Library of Congress, from the estate of film collector Alois Detlaff (1921-2005). "We're especially pleased to present MOTHERHOOD, a 1925 film directed Lita Lawrence, whom we believe was the first African-American woman to direct a feature film in this country," says Mike Mashon, Head of the Moving Image Section of the Library of Congress, "We're proud to partner with Kino Lorber on another Pioneers release. The overwhelmingly positive response to Pioneers of African-American Cinema was gratifying, and undoubtedly FIRST WOMEN FILMMAKERS will prove a wonderful resource to film lovers and scholars alike."

A new score for MOTHERHOOD will be composed by Paul D. Miller, aka DJ Spooky, who created the celebrated scores for Body and Soul and Within Our Gates for the predecessor of this series. "Following the wildly successful Pioneers of African-American Cinema, I am honored to now provide a music score for one of the first films directed by an African-American woman," Miller says, "Archives are places of exploration and discovery. Let's give the past a future!"

PIONEERS: FIRST WOMEN FILMMAKERS is planned as a five-Blu-ray box set that will showcase new restorations of films made by women during the silent era in the United States. The series is executive-produced by Illeana Douglas, curated by Shelley Stamp, and produced by Bret Wood. The project is funded in part by a Kickstarter campaign (which ends on Friday, November 18, having already surpassed its fund-raising goal).

"Producing archival collections of this magnitude are an extraordinary challenge," says Kino Lorber CEO Richard Lorber, "but through the relationships we've forged with the Library of Congress and other international archives, and with the generous support of a public which is hungry for rare and historically important films, we are achieving what would otherwise have been impossible."

PIONEERS: FIRST WOMEN FILMMAKERS is targeted for a fourth-quarter 2017 release. Advance theatrical screenings of MOTHERHOOD: LIFE'S GREATEST MIRACLE will be announced in early 2017.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

MattBarry

PostFri Nov 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to Kino Lorber's PIONEERS: FIRST WOMEN FILMMAKERS Kickstarter campaign, or helped us spread the word about it. I'm pleased to report that we met our fundraising goal, with the campaign ending successfully today.
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.
__
Matt Barry
Kino Lorber, Inc.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 11:03 am

There hasn't been news on this set for a while, but Bret Wood at Kino just sent out a video to backers with some news, including:

• The set has expanded to six discs (from five) with the films that have been added as archives have searched for material. Backers who contributed enough to receive the five disc set will get the six disc set at no additional cost.

• A selection of films will play archival venues in New York and elsewhere around July, and the release date is expected to be September or October.

boblipton

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 11:07 am

Mike, this thread should have been moved to the crowdfunding section some time ago.

Because I read occasionally about this set, I wonder what, if anything, happened to my copy. I understand that as the effort has grown more ambitious, the completion date has been delayed. Nonetheless, I am disappointed.

Bob

Nosferatu

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 5:56 pm

Shoot. I haven't seen the thread for a while and thought this would be the release date. I still haven't opened my African Pioneers set yet.

Return to Silent News