NEW KICKSTARTER: BEAUTY'S WORTH (1922)

NitrateVille-related crowdfunding projects for film and DVD releases, etc.
  • Author

boblipton

Re: NEW KICKSTARTER: BEAUTY'S WORTH (1922)

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 6:29 pm

I just posted my review of this fine dvd to he WHAT IS THE LAST SILENT MOVIE YOU WATCHED (2017) thread under TALKING ABOUT SILENTS, and to the IMDB. Thanks, Ed, Ben and LoC!

Bo
He was deeply moved, for the whisky had been generously measured.

-- Dorothy Sayers

AbZeroNow

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 11:57 pm

drednm wrote:I wonder what country club that was filmed at? Pebble Beach?

IMDB mentions under trivia that the Haven-by-the-sea outdoors scenes were filmed around Big Sur.

It also mentions your "limited edition" DVD release for this year.

Changsham

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Thanks Ed. Received my copy today.

Petebain

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 1:16 pm

I watched my copy last night. Very nicely done, Ed.

Lostintime

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 9:32 am

I have already seen it and I want to congratulate both Ed and Ben. The incredible pristine image and the beautiful music make you really LIVE the experience of enjoy a silent movie. Thanks for such a dedicated work.

drednm

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 9:40 am

Lostintime wrote:I have already seen it and I want to congratulate both Ed and Ben. The incredible pristine image and the beautiful music make you really LIVE the experience of enjoy a silent movie. Thanks for such a dedicated work.

Thanks. Glad responses are so positive....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Derek N

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 11:09 am

Received my copy yesterday. I'm really impressed with the quality of the print and transfer--it's honestly about as good as one can hope for. Probably at Criterion/MoC levels of beauty (seriously). Super happy to have this in my collection! Thanks, Ed! :mrgreen:

Jim Roots

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 11:42 am

Isn't anybody going to complain about the frame rate and the aspect ratio?

You guys are falling down on your jobs!

Jim
(who never complains about those things because he doesn't know what the hell they are)

AbZeroNow

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Isn't anybody going to complain about the frame rate and the aspect ratio?

Jim
(who never complains about those things because he doesn't know what the hell they are)

Frame rate was fine. Audience clapping seemed a little fast but acceptable under perimeters.

Aspect ratio seemed right on too.

(I know a little about each)

drednm

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 2:44 pm

AbZeroNow wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:Isn't anybody going to complain about the frame rate and the aspect ratio?

Jim

Frame rate was fine. Audience clapping seemed a little fast but acceptable under perimeters.

Aspect ratio seemed right on too.

(I know a little about each)

I noticed that about the clapping but it's like 2 seconds of film. This print was timed at around 75 minutes, what contemporary reviews said the film ran. The old Videobrary VHS version runs at a whopping and deadly 115 minutes. The source print, according to Ben Model (and I'm sure he's correct), is the same 35MM print in the LOC's Marion Davies collection. Why or how it ended up dragging on for nearly 2 hours is anyone's guess. But the several DVDs floating around, still run at that slow pace ... maybe the clapping looks good.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

JRozgonyi

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 pm

I watched my copy this evening after a particularly bad day at work. Thanks, Ed and Ben, for making me a happy fellow again! Great job - keep 'em coming (please?).

silentsaregolden

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 9:43 pm

Just finished watching it, and, I, too, must add my praise to Ed and Ben for a job well done!! I've had the Videobrary print for years, and it actually runs 112 minutes, but, nevertheless, because of the difference in time, I was sure the Videobrary print must have some scenes not in our present version - a quick fast forward through it, though, confirmed there are not - same everything in both. Just for the heck of it, I timed a small portion of the film from the first intertitle to the one where Prudence asks Henry if he remembers what he told her the last time they were together. On the Videobrary print, it was right at 7 minutes and 55 seconds. On Ed's, about 5 minutes and 20 seconds. Big difference! Overall, it's amazing how film speed can add 37 more minutes to a 75 minute film - and all these years I never really thought of the Videobrary print as slow - now I don't think I could bear sitting through it after watching this new copy!

drednm

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 11:30 am

silentsaregolden wrote:Just finished watching it, and, I, too, must add my praise to Ed and Ben for a job well done!! I've had the Videobrary print for years, and it actually runs 112 minutes, but, nevertheless, because of the difference in time, I was sure the Videobrary print must have some scenes not in our present version - a quick fast forward through it, though, confirmed there are not - same everything in both. Just for the heck of it, I timed a small portion of the film from the first intertitle to the one where Prudence asks Henry if he remembers what he told her the last time they were together. On the Videobrary print, it was right at 7 minutes and 55 seconds. On Ed's, about 5 minutes and 20 seconds. Big difference! Overall, it's amazing how film speed can add 37 more minutes to a 75 minute film - and all these years I never really thought of the Videobrary print as slow - now I don't think I could bear sitting through it after watching this new copy!

I've learned a lot from Ben.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

BenModel

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 12:47 pm

The source print, according to Ben Model (and I'm sure he's correct), is the same 35MM print in the LOC's Marion Davies collection. Why or how it ended up dragging on for nearly 2 hours is anyone's guess. But the several DVDs floating around, still run at that slow pace ... maybe the clapping looks good.

A number of the Marion Davies films were transferred in the early '90s for a project, and somehow a few of these transfers wound up on Videobrary and subsequent dubs/bootlegs. These transfers were analog SD transfers made at 18 fps, which someone at the video lab at that time chose as "silent speed". Not all were done that way -- "April Folly" was transferred around the same time and it's at 24 fps. The prints at LC are all that survive on most of the Davies silents, preserved by the LC from 35mm nitrate that came from Marion Davies, so any differences in running times between the old 1990s editions and anything Ed or I or anyone else may be doing is going to be from running speeds.

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

Jerfilm

PostFri Mar 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks Ed. Lovely print.

Jerry

martin arias

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 4:12 am

just watched it!

beautiful print and beautiful score

thanks Ed and Ben!!!
Previous

Return to Crowdfunding Projects