Behind The Door -- Flicker Alley

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Roscoe

Behind The Door -- Flicker Alley

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 3:52 pm

Coming in April from Flicker Alley. Order soon for special Cyber Monday discount.

http://www.flickeralley.com/" target="_blank

Legendary producer Thomas H. Ince and director Irvin V. Willat made this—“the most outspoken of all the vengeance films” according to film historian Kevin Brownlow—during the period of World War I-inspired American patriotism.

Hobart Bosworth stars as Oscar Krug, a working-class American, who is persecuted for his German ancestry after war is declared. Driven by patriotism, Krug enlists and goes to sea. However, tragedy strikes when his wife (Jane Novak) sneaks aboard his ship and is captured following a German U-boat attack. Krug’s single-minded quest for vengeance against the sadistic German submarine commander (played with villainous fervor by Wallace Beery) leads to the film’s shocking and brutal climax.

This newly restored edition represents the most complete version of the film available since 1919, thanks to the collaboration of the San Francisco Silent Film Festival, the Library of Congress, and Gosfilmofond of Russia.

Sourced from the only two known remaining prints and referencing a copy of Willat’s original continuity script, this edition recreates the original color tinting scheme and features a new score composed and performed by Stephen Horne. Flicker Alley is honored to present Behind the Door on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time ever.

Bonus Materials Include:

Russian version of Behind the Door: The re-edited and re-titled version of the film that was distributed in Russia, with musical accompaniment by Stephen Horne
Outtakes from Behind the Door: Featuring music composed and performed by Stephen Horne
“Restoring Irvin Willat’s Behind the Door”: A behind-the-scenes look at the restoration
“Kevin Brownlow Spotlights Irvin Willat”: Film historian and Honorary Academy Award® winner Kevin Brownlow spotlights director Irvin Willat
Slideshow gallery of stills and promotional material from Behind the Door
Souvenir Booklet: Featuring rare photographs and essays by film historian Jay Weissburg, film restorer Robert Byrne, and composer Stephen Horne
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

Re: Behind The Door -- Flicker Alley

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 4:37 pm

Ordered! Very exciting to finally see, even with Kevin Brownlow having spoiled the ending about 40 years ago.
“One of the wonders of the internet is that it's a totally open forum. The world's greatest expert—or greatest idiot—is free to post.” —David Shepard, quoted by Richard Bann

boblipton

PostMon Nov 28, 2016 4:39 pm

Charley Morrow and I had a bit of back-and-forth about the print shown at MOMA this week in the "What's the Last Silent Film You Watched" thread.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

Roscoe

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 7:42 am

It was screened at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival this past June, and the program ran an essay by Brownlow where he gave away more than should be given away, and the film's impact was lessened a good deal. Still looking forward to revisiting it.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 8:36 am

I'm sure when Brownlow described the whole movie in a book in 1979, the idea that eventually a 1919 film would be available to everyone did not even occur to him.
“One of the wonders of the internet is that it's a totally open forum. The world's greatest expert—or greatest idiot—is free to post.” —David Shepard, quoted by Richard Bann

Jim Roots

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 1:28 pm

Saw this at Cinesation in 1998, if I'm not mistaken.

Sigh ... my credit card is as hot as the suicide wings at The Royal Oak pub, what with all these new DVD's and new books pouring out lately ... none of which I can say "NO!" to... plus the incredible number of time-limited discount sales (I bought something like 12 during Criterion's month-long sale at Barnes and Noble, 4 at Grapevine's current ten-day sale, 9 at Oldies' big sale, some others at Amazon's sale...)

Jim

Battra92

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 3:11 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:I'm sure when Brownlow described the whole movie in a book in 1979, the idea that eventually a 1919 film would be available to everyone did not even occur to him.

Especially considering that the home video market was at that point only a few years old and hadn't yet reached the boom of the 80s and 90s.

Brooksie

PostTue Nov 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Battra92 wrote:
Mike Gebert wrote:I'm sure when Brownlow described the whole movie in a book in 1979, the idea that eventually a 1919 film would be available to everyone did not even occur to him.

Especially considering that the home video market was at that point only a few years old and hadn't yet reached the boom of the 80s and 90s.

Quite so. Many times, I've repeated the story of how I treasured my battered copy of Richard J. Anobile's The Best of Buster, which recreated some of Keaton's best routines frame-by-frame, because heck, it's not as if I would ever get to see most of these films!

Particularly in older newspapers, I'm amazed at the way many reviews seemed to be point-by-point retellings of the storyline, complete with ending twists. As valuable as it is in reconstructing lost films, I doubt that viewers of the day were particularly pleased.

rudyfan

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 7:41 am

Ordered!

drednm

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 8:31 am

Booo ... I missed the deadline
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Mark Zimmer

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 10:43 am

Got my preorder in; main problem is I'll probably forget I preordered it and then be stuck with two or three copies. I'm sure Flicker Alley is OK with that thought.

silentfilm

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 8:14 pm

Brooksie wrote:Particularly in older newspapers, I'm amazed at the way many reviews seemed to be point-by-point retellings of the storyline, complete with ending twists. As valuable as it is in reconstructing lost films, I doubt that viewers of the day were particularly pleased.

I've got at least a dozen heralds from the 1910s, usually Paramount films, that give away the complete plot of the movie.

Jim Reid

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 8:37 pm

Mark Zimmer wrote:Got my preorder in; main problem is I'll probably forget I preordered it and then be stuck with two or three copies. I'm sure Flicker Alley is OK with that thought.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Nov 30, 2016 9:42 pm

Here's a clip they just put up:

This is turning out to be quite a year for Kevin Brownlow-touted titles. I wonder what else we should be expecting?

Arndt

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 3:34 am

Mark Zimmer wrote:Got my preorder in; main problem is I'll probably forget I preordered it and then be stuck with two or three copies. I'm sure Flicker Alley is OK with that thought.

And I thought that only happened to me.
MELIOR

boblipton

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 5:09 am

Arndt wrote:

Bob sheepishly raises a hand
Guess how many copies of the Gilette Sherlock Holmes.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

R Michael Pyle

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 7:41 am

boblipton wrote:
Arndt wrote:

Bob sheepishly raises a hand
Guess how many copies of the Gilette Sherlock Holmes.

Bob

Ditto!

Rick Lanham

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 8:02 am

I've bought (or recorded!) multiple copies of films as well.

I'll buy this film when it comes out. I've been buying/contributing/traveling, etc and I'll delay this purchase.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Danny Burk

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 9:01 am

My solution: a frequently updated list of new titles announced; if I order one, I highlight it in yellow. When it arrives, I immediately enter it into an Excel list of titles that I have. I never order anything (unless it's announced that very day) without checking both lists.

As you might guess, this process is the result of past double-buys...

Jim Roots

PostThu Dec 01, 2016 12:09 pm

I just try to order the minute they become available, and then I'm pretty sure I've already got it when I continue to see promotions for it over the next six months and don't remember ordering it.

I had forgotten ordering the Broncho Billy set until it arrived two days ago. I had forgotten I ordered Children of Divorce until Flicker Alley posted an ad promoting it along with Behind the Door. (Still haven't received it yet, but at least my memory has been jogged!)

It can be a lovely surprise to open the mailbox and discover Four of the Three Musketeers or The Harry Langdon Scrapbook waiting for me, months after I had forgotten about ordering it. (I know those are books, not films, but the same principle applies.)

This has really been a heck of a year, at least since about June, and it's been hard to keep track of pre-orders even if I keep print-outs of the order confirmation on my desk until the product shows up in my mailbox. And we haven't even gotten around to pre-ordering my own next book on silent comedy, hint hint hint!!! Due out in May 2017! Send me your money now!

Jim

Arndt

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 7:27 am

Danny Burk wrote:My solution: a frequently updated list of new titles announced; if I order one, I highlight it in yellow. When it arrives, I immediately enter it into an Excel list of titles that I have. I never order anything (unless it's announced that very day) without checking both lists.

As you might guess, this process is the result of past double-buys...

Had to rub it in, didn't you?
MELIOR

FlickerAlley

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 5:37 pm

New Clip "U-boat Attack" from Behind the Door:

Release Date: April 4, 2017 / Pre-order Now

bobfells

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:25 am

Flicker Alley invited me to write an essay about some aspect of BEHIND THE DOOR. I thought this was a nice opportunity to highlight Hobart Bosworth, a film actor that buffs know of but generally know little about. Turns out he was quite an interesting fellow. Here is the link:
http://www.flickeralley.com/in-search-o ... -bosworth/

wich2

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:38 am

Good stuff about my fellow Buckeye.

I've always liked Bosworth's work; his bit as Lee in Griffith's otherwise stiff LINCOLN is very touching.

And always good to hear that a good actor was a good person (in the long run, the greater goal.)

Thanks,
-Craig

greta de groat

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 10:50 am

I may have mentioned this before, but the first time i met Diana Serra Cary i was standing in line waiting for her to sign her book Whatever Happened to Baby Peggy. I was flipping the pages while next in line and i exclaimed when i spotted a picture of Bosworth. She was pleased that i knew who he was and told me a nice story about how he regaled her with tales of his early barnstorming adventures while they were making Captain January. She really liked him. She had met his son at a screening years later.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

George O'Brien

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 4:47 pm

Hobart Bosworth, in WHITE HANDS, gave George O'Brien his first acting job in films. The film is long lost, but George in a bit part had a memorable fight with the mentoring star. It figured prominently in the film's print advertising.
"This bar of likker is now a bar of justice!"

Zool

PostTue Mar 14, 2017 9:32 pm

George O'Brien wrote:Hobart Bosworth, in WHITE HANDS, gave George O'Brien his first acting job in films. The film is long lost, but George in a bit part had a memorable fight with the mentoring star. It figured prominently in the film's print advertising.

Yes. Quite so. As evident from this ad from the San Francisco Examiner, February 18th 1922.

http://www.georgeobrien.net

"There's nothing I wouldn't do, including doing nothing."

FlickerAlley

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 11:42 am

Here is the official trailer for the restoration:

Pre-order for April 4th

Saint-Just

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 3:25 pm

That trailer sold me! It's also nice to see a name like Stephen Horne attached to this - no need to think twice about buying or buy gritting my teeth knowing I'll just be muting the soundtrack.

Return to Silent News