TCM Premieres Ducks & Drakes/The Bride's Play

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

drednm

TCM Premieres Ducks & Drakes/The Bride's Play

PostFri Dec 16, 2016 1:49 pm

Just found out that my projects Ducks and Drakes and The Bride's Play have been scheduled for midnight on Sunday March 5 and March 12, respectively.

I haven't even sent them the films yet!

Last edited by drednm on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Battra92

Re: TCM Premieres

PostFri Dec 16, 2016 2:02 pm

I will definitely have to set a calendar reminder for that! I don't really have cable outside of basic (I'm one of those Netflix Millenials) but I still get TCM and will try to make a point to catch it.

boblipton

PostFri Dec 16, 2016 2:03 pm

Great news, Ed! Have they asked you to introduce them?

Bob
His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique.

-- Peter Schickele

R Michael Pyle

PostFri Dec 16, 2016 2:06 pm

boblipton wrote:Great news, Ed! Have they asked you to introduce them?

Bob

It would be great to see you introduce them! Congratulations!

drednm

PostFri Dec 16, 2016 2:27 pm

R Michael Pyle wrote:
boblipton wrote:Great news, Ed! Have they asked you to introduce them?

Bob

It would be great to see you introduce them! Congratulations!

Two Sundays in a row.

Nah, they don't know I'm alive.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

bobfells

PostSun Dec 18, 2016 1:16 pm

Congrats Ed! It's no exaggeration to say that you are like a one-man Eastman House or UCLA Archive. Best of all, as worthy as those institutions are, you are better because the whole point of your projects is to get these long-unseen films back in general circulation, i.e. home video. Sorry folks, but pointing out that a film was shown once at some film festival before a relatively small audience doesn't cut it for me. At any rate, kudos to you Ed!

wich2

PostSun Dec 18, 2016 2:28 pm

Salut, Ed, for your hard work and the venue!

Merriest,
-Craig

drednm

PostMon Dec 19, 2016 10:01 am

One schedule on TCM has The Red Mill following The Bride's Play. TCM rarely shows that one.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

drednm

PostSat Jan 14, 2017 5:21 pm

Was interviewed this morning by phone by a writer for TCM. He's working on Ben Manciewicz' intro for Ducks and Drakes and wanted more on me and the Kickstarter process. Oddly, the film will be "paired" with The Smart Set (1928) since they bot star Jack Holt! So much for Bebe Daniels and William Haines.

The following Sunday will be The Bride's Play and The Red Mill.

Anhyhoo... I had fun with the writer (Peter McIntosh) and suggested Ben lay off the Citizen Kane angle when introducing the Marion Davies films. He thought I was very funny.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

drednm

PostFri Jan 20, 2017 11:26 am

After two days of trying to upload video files to Turner's "new" upload site, I downloaded everything onto an external drive and mailed if off to Atlanta.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 5:23 am

Ducks and Drakes will get its TCM premiere at 12:30 AM (EST) on Monday, March 6. Set your timers!

Bob

-- Peter Schickele

drednm

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 6:14 am

boblipton wrote:Ducks and Drakes will get its TCM premiere at 12:30 AM (EST) on Monday, March 6. Set your timers!

Bob

Ben Mankiewicz filmed an intro last week. I was interviewed via phone but have no idea what's in the intro.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Jim Roots

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 8:34 am

drednm wrote:After two days of trying to upload video files to Turner's "new" upload site, I downloaded everything onto an external drive and mailed if off to Atlanta.

TCM was too cheap to mail you to Atlanta for a live interview?

Jim

drednm

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 8:50 am

Jim Roots wrote:
drednm wrote:After two days of trying to upload video files to Turner's "new" upload site, I downloaded everything onto an external drive and mailed if off to Atlanta.

TCM was too cheap to mail you to Atlanta for a live interview?

Jim

Guess I'm not TV-worthy
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

azjazzman

Re: TCM Premieres Ducks & Drakes/The Bride's Play

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Not to hijack your thread, but why doesn't somebody do a Kickstarter project to hire Ben M. to do scores for THE PATENT LEATHER KID and LILAC TIME so that TCM can run those?

drednm

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 3:34 pm

azjazzman wrote:Not to hijack your thread, but why doesn't somebody do a Kickstarter project to hire Ben M. to do scores for THE PATENT LEATHER KID and LILAC TIME so that TCM can run those?

Because they are not in the public domain.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

azjazzman

PostTue Feb 21, 2017 4:31 pm

drednm wrote:
azjazzman wrote:Not to hijack your thread, but why doesn't somebody do a Kickstarter project to hire Ben M. to do scores for THE PATENT LEATHER KID and LILAC TIME so that TCM can run those?

I realize that, but I'm not talking about a DVD release. WB owns the films, but surely they wouldn't object to a third party providing scores so that the films could be run on TCM.

Mark Zimmer

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 9:53 am

Nice! I got your Bride's Play disc but missed out on Ducks and Drakes so it will be nice to get a chance to see it.

BenModel

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 9:16 pm

azjazzman wrote:
drednm wrote:

I realize that, but I'm not talking about a DVD release. WB owns the films, but surely they wouldn't object to a third party providing scores so that the films could be run on TCM.

I've tried pursuing this, to no avail. They are not interested in third-party funding for something like this.

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com and get an exclusive link to watch a rare comedy short
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter and on Instagram
Silent Film Music Podcast available on iTunes

drednm

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 5:45 am

Because they are not in the public domain.....[/quote]

I realize that, but I'm not talking about a DVD release. WB owns the films, but surely they wouldn't object to a third party providing scores so that the films could be run on TCM.[/quote]

I've tried pursuing this, to no avail. They are not interested in third-party funding for something like this.

Ben[/quote]

I've tried also, Ben.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

AbZeroNow

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 11:16 am

^ hopefully everything 1923 will go into public domain come Jan. 1, 2019 so we can see some good kickstarter projects on some films. (*cough* Covered Wagon *cough*)

boblipton

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 3:37 pm

The Bride's Play showed up on my DVR as showing on TCM on March 13 at midnight. Set your recorders!

Bob

-- Peter Schickele

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 6:29 pm

boblipton wrote:The Bride's Play showed up on my DVR as showing on TCM on March 13 at midnight. Set your recorders!

Heh...just did exactly that minutes before logging onto Nitrateville.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

drednm

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 10:24 am

No cancellation notice .... so far. Since I was interviewed before they filmed the intros, I assume that meant the schedule was set in cement. If course I won't see the final product since it's 1. after by bedtime; 2. TCM reception here is dreadful; 3. I can't record anything thru Time-Warner (or whatever their new name is).

Last time, they sent me a blu-ray screener of the final Enchantment from the November 2014, but I've never seen what's on it since I can't play blu-rays....

:shock:
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

drednm

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 6:16 am

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article.h ... and-Drakes" target="_blank

Not much for promotion but at least there's a picture of Marion Davies! Glad they're broadcasting The Red Mill again. I watched it a few months back and really enjoyed it.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

drednm

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 6:44 am

New TCM article for Ducks and Drakes

Bebe Daniels was only 20 years old when she took the lead in the comedy Ducks and Drakes (1921) but she was already a show business veteran. The daughter of a stage actress mother and a theater manager father, she had made her stage debut at the age of four and her screen debut at eight, played Dorothy in a short 1910 adaptation of The Wizard of Oz, and co-starred in over 150 comedy shorts for producer Hal Roach (most of them opposite Harold Lloyd) before she broke in to features films. After casting her in a small role in Male and Female (1919), Cecil B. DeMille signed her to Paramount pictures and gave her a substantial part of "the other woman" opposite Gloria Swanson in his sex comedy Why Change Your Wife? (1920). She was soon a movie star in her own right.

In Ducks and Drakes, one of Daniels's earliest roles as a leading lady, she's back in familiar comedy territory. She plays spoiled rich orphan Teddy Simpson, an incorrigible flirt and prankster who rebels against her fiancé Rob Winslow (Jack Holt) and her aunt (Mayme Kelso), who chose Rob to tame the wild girl, by using the telephone to play jokes on Rob's friends. Tired of her shenanigans, they team up to help him teach Teddy a lesson with an elaborate prank that she'll never forget. The title of the film is an archaic figure of speech that means to squander money or resources, ostensibly a reference to Teddy's reckless ways, but it also carries a hint of the battle of the sexes.

Rugged and stalwart Jack Holt got into the movies as a stunt man and was best known for rugged outdoor roles, especially westerns, but he was also a reliable leading man in both comedies and dramas. He's the father of actor Tim Holt, who followed in his footsteps and became a successful cowboy star in his own right, and Jennifer Holt, who also found a career in westerns.

Director Maurice Campbell had already directed Daniels in two features when he took the reigns of this production and he went on to become one of her most reliable collaborators, ultimately directing her in eight comedies. The original screenplay is by Elmer Harris, a prolific screenwriter from the golden age of Hollywood who made his name years later with his acclaimed Broadway play "Johnny Belinda," which was turned into an award-winning film in 1948.

"The whole thing is almost entirely Bebe Daniels, and she contrives to make herself wholly enjoyable from start to finish," wrote the pseudonymous reviewer in Film Daily, who described Daniels as "a first class purveyor of light and frolicsome entertainment." And film critic Bernard Sobel, writing for the New York Dramatic Mirror, praised Daniels as "an unusually good flapper, credulous and impulsive, warm-hearted and fatuous, quite unlike the sophisticated heroines she has impersonated in some of her other pictures."

Daniels's career soared in the 1920s. She went on to star opposite such leading men as William Powell, Ricardo Cortez, and Rudolph Valentino and made a successful transition to the sound era, starring in the first screen version of The Maltese Falcon (1931) as Miss Wonderly (the Mary Astor role in the 1941 version) and in the landmark backstage musical 42nd Street (1933) as the veteran stage star Dorothy Brock. She retired from the screen 1938 to move to England with her husband, actor Ben Lyon, and their children, but she didn't give up acting. She continued to perform on stage and starred in two hugely successful radio shows through the 1960s. Bebe Daniels passed away in 1971 in her adopted home of London, England.

Should be noted that Daniels starred in a film version of her radio show "Hi, Gang!" and two film version of her TV show "Life with the Lyons," both with Ben Lyon and after 1938. The article also seems to imply her talkie debut was in The Maltese Falcon and ignores her actual smash-ht talkie debut in Rio Rita.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

drednm

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 6:26 am

Here's the TCM intro. Please note I never said I did a digital restoration. I've never claimed or implied restoration credit for any of the films I have produced thru Kickstarter. Preservation/restoration is performed by the folks at Library of Congress.

Last edited by silentfilm on Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube link
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Battra92

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 6:39 am

Unfortunately I was sick yesterday and forgot all about this. Hopefully my brother recorded it like I asked him to.

Thanks for posting the intro, though. :)

Hamilton's Grandson

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 9:28 am

Bravo !

Enjoyed Ducks and Drakes and the plug for Ed and Kickstarter before the film was shown by TCM. Credits at end also listed Ed as the producer so we definitely know you exist Ed. Please let us know of future kickstarter campaigns. A big thumbs up from me. Print was so clear not dark like some restorations (ie Marked Money 1928).

Looking forward to TCM Sunday's next showing (9"30 pmPST)
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

Battra92

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Battra92 wrote:Unfortunately I was sick yesterday and forgot all about this. Hopefully my brother recorded it like I asked him to.

Thanks for posting the intro, though. :)

And he did indeed record it! I'm looking forward to seeing this in a week or so!
Next

Return to Silent News