Send your thoughts and prayers to David Shepard

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

William D. Ferry

Re: Send your thoughts and prayers to David Shepard

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 4:57 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to him and all the lives he's touched for the better. He's one of the good ones...
Yours for bigger and better silents,

William D. Ferry
(Blackhawk Customer #0191462)

realist

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks Mr. Shepard for keeping film history alive. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

FilmGauge

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 5:50 pm

I had the good fortune to meet David at the 1990 Cinecon. We did a great deal of talking, and even did some film trading there. He loves people as well as film. I'm so sorry to have read about his disease and have him in my prayers.

ClarenceE

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 7:52 pm

This is painful news. Mr. Shepard helped make classic film availible to even a bumpkin like me in Mississippi. His posts here were always cogent and informative. My thoughts and prayers to him, his family, and the family of film fans he helped to create.

chrisdr

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 7:56 pm

My thoughts and prayers are for Mr. Shepard.....

keatonfreak

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 8:35 pm

Sad news indeed. Life is a gift. I am privileged to have met David Shepard at a couple of Cinecons over the years and had the opportunity to speak with him at length and thank him for his work on one occasion. Some years later I somehow found his email contact and picked his brain about a few things and he was so gracious with his response to such a novice like me, particularly when I think of all the correspondence he must do. His passion has fueled my passion, and I'll bet it's safe to say the same for everyone in this community. He is a kind and good man.

You are much loved and respected in the film community. My prayers for Grace for you and your family.

God bless,

Steve

downunder

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 9:25 pm

Once we saw the post on Nitrateville with the dreadful news we emailed David but cannot be sure he would receive it. We post this in the hope that this communication may be received.

“Firstly our thoughts and wishes are with you and your family and friends.

Secondly. What has been acknowledged all over the civilised world with respect to your magnificent efforts over many years in film preservation and distribution and the immense pleasures your efforts have brought to the world are widely known. You brought this and more with your support and shrewd advice to us starting some 10 years ago this March. You brought all of the above to the uncivilised world down under (just joking). Many around Australia directly and indirectly have been enriched and touched by your talents and continued hard work.

As you appreciated, our groups are somewhat small at times but they are warm and gentle folk who connect with your treats, from Charlie and Buster to Visages to Our Daily Bread to the Boys. You urged us to show Sunrise at the very first Festival in 2007 and at the film’s end many in the audience were in tears as they applauded. Just like us right now as we applaud you.”

David has been the patron, adviser and supporter for 10 years of AUSTRALIA'S SILENT FILM FESTIVAL

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 10:48 pm

I received word from Jack Theakston that David passed away this evening.

David Shepard, 1940-2017
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Javier

PostTue Jan 31, 2017 10:59 pm

Mr. Shepard, good night.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"
Previous

Return to Silent News