News of David Shepard's passing

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

wich2

Re: News of David Shepard's passing

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 3:55 pm

Gagman 66 wrote:What will become of his personal collection and company Film Preservation Associates? Is there any word? God's Peace David, you will be profoundly missed.

Amen, Gagman -

- and, that was my next question.

I hope the good work of that organization can go on. Though finding "another David Shepard" is one of those kinds of things that rarely happens in this world.

-Craig

Mark Zimmer

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 4:08 pm

I find it difficult to tolerate a world where I cannot wonder what is the next thing David Shepard will preserve, restore and make available for us all to see.

Jess McGrath

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 4:15 pm

This is such sad, devastating news. Thank you so much, David, for everything you did for the silent film world!

For those who haven't heard it, Frank Thompson's "Commentary Track" podcast episode with David was a great one, and offered wonderful insight into David's career and experiences.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Well, Flicker Alley has been handling distribution and has more in the pipeline, and the Film Preservation Associates collection is at the Academy, so it seems in good hands.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Rodney

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 8:00 pm

wich2 wrote:
Gagman 66 wrote:What will become of his personal collection and company Film Preservation Associates? Is there any word? God's Peace David, you will be profoundly missed.

Amen, Gagman -

- and, that was my next question.

I hope the good work of that organization can go on. Though finding "another David Shepard" is one of those kinds of things that rarely happens in this world.

-Craig

I had a talk with Serge Bromberg from Lobster Films last night, as he was on his way back to France after visiting with David yesterday. I'm sure there will be announcements on this topic eventually, but David's collection of films and planned future projects are in good hands.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

wich2

PostWed Feb 01, 2017 9:06 pm

Happy news, at a time when such is not common!

Thanks, Rodney.

-Craig

Jay Schwartz

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 12:01 am

I can't add anything to these threads that has not already been said -- except that in times like this, it is comforting to know there is a sizable community that fully appreciates how irreplaceable a David Shepard is. My few contacts and meetings with DS were as pleasant as everyone else's. It's great to meet a long-time hero and not be disappointed at all. Thank you David, and thank you Nitrateville for being here and keeping the flame lit.

BarneyS

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 1:57 am

I doubt there is anyone who loves silent films who has not been enriched by his work.

boblipton

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 4:51 am

Today's Cartoon Research is an obituary for Mr. Shepard.

http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/da ... 1940-2017/

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

telical

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 am

R.I.P. I remember wondering how he could do it, all this work, without that much promise of making a profit on his products.

Rick Lanham

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 7:25 am

I only had a few Internet exchanges with David here and on AMS. I was always glad that these forums had such a knowledgeable participant. I hope I said something that showed him how much I valued his work. May he rest in peace. Well done.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

wich2

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 9:56 am

telical wrote:R.I.P. I remember wondering how he could do it, all this work, without that much promise of making a profit on his products.

An Artist's heart...

silentsaregolden

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 9:57 am

Another couple of examples of David Shepard's kindness - in 2006, I attended the Broncho Billy Festival in Niles. David was there to introduce a couple of his newly restored Chaplin Mutuals - a preview to his DVD release of newly restored Mutuals that year. I asked if I could interview him about his quest for the definitive Chaplin films to post on Silents Are Golden, and he and I went outside, sat down in a couple of chairs, and I turned on the recorder. He was in no hurry, and, of course, neither was I - enthralled with the story. A few weeks later, after transcribing the interview, I sent it to him for corrections, edits, etc. We went back and forth via email a few times on the article as the kindly and patiently make corrections, suggestions, etc. The interview is posted here: http://www.silentsaregolden.com/article ... rview.html" target="_blank

I also contacted David a few years later when we were doing our annual silent movie event at the local, small town theater here. I wanted a Chaplin film to show, but everything was under copyright - except "The Kid." David said he had a beautiful print and would be happy to let us use it. Unfortunately, I pointed out that the local theater used the platter system for screening 35mm, and he said he just couldn't pass on the film for that system - and, of course, I don't blame him - but the fact that he was willing to let us use his personal print really impressed me.

A really great guy who will be missed. No wonder so many people have such fond memories of their interactions with him.

Mark Zimmer

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 11:00 am

I had a talk with Serge Bromberg from Lobster Films last night, as he was on his way back to France after visiting with David yesterday. I'm sure there will be announcements on this topic eventually, but David's collection of films and planned future projects are in good hands.

It should surprise no one that David made proper arrangements for these films to be protected and preserved. I just hope that his wishes will be respected.

R. Cat

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 3:19 pm

After expressing sadness over David's failing health in the earlier thread I'm trying to find another way of conveying my feelings without redundancy.

David's passing emphasizes the unavoidable reality that some of our most important patrons of the performing arts community are getting along in years. Sadly, physical health has a limited shelf life too often taken for granted. This is something worthy of reflection in concert with our sorrow.

Life is fragile and it's inevitable that we'll lose more beloved actors, musicians, writers and devoted patrons of the creative arts community in coming weeks and months, the likes of whom won't pass this way again. David Sheperd was passionate about film his entire life. Those who follow in his footsteps will have enormous shoes to fill.

Peace be with you David and condolences to your family and many friends.
Last edited by R. Cat on Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

boblipton

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 5:28 pm

-- Werner Herzog

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 9:35 pm

boblipton wrote:Leonard Maltin on David:

http://leonardmaltin.com/adieu-to-david-shepard/" target="_blank

Just a note, was it The Kiss or Fred Ott's Sneeze that David made a parody copy of? I could swear I saw a heavily titled gag version of F.O.S. at Cinefest one year.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 10:10 pm

It's Fred Ott's Sneeze:

“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

All Darc

PostThu Feb 02, 2017 10:24 pm

I can't belive...
This is so sad. :(

I talked with hin a lot by e-mails years ago, and tried to help with project he had in mind. It didn't got ahead due copyrights problems, and when I entered this forum I never told hin I was that person from years ago, cause it maybe could bring bad feelings about the problems back then, and I also feeled I failled about hadn't find out better sollutions or more people who could help to have more certain about the film's owners.

The project wasn't exactly for hin, and he was dispose even to lose money with it. It was a homage he would like to do a old friend, a brazilian diretor called Alberto Cavalcanti. According Shepard, Cavalcanti prefered film was O Canto do Mar (a remake kind of hi own early film called En Rade(1927). The idea for the homage was to bring both films to DVD.
Shepard was dispose to pay for all, the chemical film preservation, telecine, vídeo mastering, DVD printing, distribution. He only needed that someone authorized hin for this, allow he get the 35mm materails, make copy in good duplication stock.
For any presevartionist or film diretor (or family), film archive, this would be a bless, epecially here on Brazil, where films have limited budget for preservation and restoration . And this film a couple years from then was in a list of restoration Project here, but wasn't restored at that time.

I managed to talk the the brazilian cinematheque, and the archivists there helped me to track some 35mm elements, also 16mm print, and even sent hin a copy of a old VHS transfer of the film made by the cinemateca itself from a bad projection print, and Shepard gave a DVD of Cacalcante's Captain Fracasse (1929) in change.
The copyrights had problems, and in the end I could only find two possible owner, a woman who was a friend of a Cavalcante's relative that supoosed gave her the rights, and the son of the studio owner/producer that worked with Cavalcante. The son of the old studios owner was the most plausible copyright holder.
I talked with the manager of a very good film lab on Rio de Janeiro, and even managed to talk with a guy from Kodak of Brazil to get a discount for fine grain film duplication stock. I sent all data to Shepard and asked to wait some solid confirmation before pay for anything (rights, duplication stock film, lab). But he did not responded my messages after that. This help I gave was during two trips to Rio and one or two to São Paulo.

Not sure what happened, if he had problems with the Kodak guy, or with the copyright suposed owners. It's sad he could not make such homage to his friend. He had all good will to, and would pay for everything and even lost money, but bureocracy and copyrights was his enemy in this project.
He said it was a work of love, and not a work for money.

In the actual world, with so many people now so selfish, greed, individualist, alienated, dumb, hedonist, narcisic, the loss of people like David have a even greater impacts. It's like humanism is in danger of extinction.

People will miss you David. RIP film lover.
Last edited by All Darc on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keep thinking...

boblipton

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 7:02 am

Harvey Deneroff, who worked with David at the AFI, reminisces. He also offers memories by Serge Bromberg, Leonard Maltin and Kevin Brownlow, recorded last year at Pordenone.

http://deneroff.com/blog/2017/02/02/dav ... 1940-2017/

Bob

-- Werner Herzog

Mark Zimmer

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 9:13 am

The Fred Ott's Sneeze video is hilarious, and so true to life.

Daniel Eagan

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 3:52 pm

drednm

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Daniel Eagan wrote:Hollywood Reporter update: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a ... ard-971873" target="_blank" target="_blank

Nice. Thanks for posting this. I was curious about his Hat Creek address where I sent him films, but never asked anything about it.
Last edited by drednm on Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

Roseha

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Very touching article, thank you. I never communicated with Mr. Shepard, but I remember buying copies of silent films from Blackhawk in the old days and I am sure many other films I have bought on DVD since then owe their distribution to him. Very sorry at this news, rest in peace.
- Rosemary

kndy

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 12:45 am

:cry:

elliothearst

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 9:46 am

RIP and thank you.

humbugmsw

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 1:44 pm

In the early 1980s, David Shepard loaned me a 16mm toned print of D. W. Griffith's "Broken Blossoms" (1919) and original orchestral score for me to exhibit in a special showing on the Johns Hopkins University campus. I had a live 16-piece orchestra accompany the film and Chinese costumed usherettes, and a letter from Lillian Gish wishing me luck. It turned out to be fantastic! This would have been impossible without the generosity of Mr. Shepard. He trusted us completely with all print and score. I will be ever grateful, and am sad to see such a good person pass. Michael Wilson

Michael O'Regan

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 6:39 am

R.I.P.

Sad to hear this.

boblipton

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 6:49 pm

-- Werner Herzog

drednm

PostSun Feb 05, 2017 8:18 pm

boblipton wrote:His New York Times obituary:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/05/movi ... ottom-well" target="_blank

Bob

Thanks for posting.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1