STELLA DALLAS (1925) Dropped From TCM Classic Film Festival!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Gagman 66

STELLA DALLAS (1925) Dropped From TCM Classic Film Festival!

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 10:08 pm

:shock: Boo!!!! What??? Are you kidding me? Now STELLA DALLAS (1925) has been mysteriously removed from the 2017 Festival schedule as had been previously announced! Even mentioned many times on Television. Why??? We happen to know that there are excellent quality restored or at least archival 35 millimeter prints that have been screened elsewhere. It's not like there aren't any materials of this title available for them to show. OK, maybe whoever was supposed to be scoring this couldn't get the music finished on time? So why not tell us so? Here's a thought, how about opting for RAMONA? At least it has a score that's ready to go and has been for awhile.

This is getting absurd! They just nixed the long awaited THE PATENT LEATHER KID (1927) Premiere from 31 Days of Oscar a couple of nights ago. I mean this could have been replaced with 7TH HEAVEN which won 3 Oscars and never, ever airs on TCM. I'm still upset because LILAC TIME was pulled from the October line-up at the last minute last year.

:? I still love TCM and all, but they have got to stop making empty promises and start coming through on some of these. Ignoring matters entirely doesn't inspire viewer confidence or loyalty either. The very least they could do is address these issues, and provide some sort of genuine explanation instead of leaving us with none. :(

s.w.a.c.

Re: STELLA DALLAS (1925) Dropped From TCM Classic Film Festi

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 9:32 am

Gagman 66 wrote:They just nixed the long awaited THE PATENT LEATHER KID (1927) Premiere from 31 Days of Oscar a couple of nights ago. I mean this could have been replaced with 7TH HEAVEN which won 3 Oscars and never, ever airs on TCM.

But that would have disrupted their cute "show everything in alphabetical order" scheme!
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Battra92

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 2:36 pm

I dropped cable a while back because honestly, I couldn't afford it. Filmstruck doesn't look too much better on the silent front (though it does have some decent movies otherwise.)

Guess I'll just stick to buying discs. :-/

Agnes

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 7:44 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Gagman 66 wrote:They just nixed the long awaited THE PATENT LEATHER KID (1927) Premiere from 31 Days of Oscar a couple of nights ago. I mean this could have been replaced with 7TH HEAVEN which won 3 Oscars and never, ever airs on TCM.

But that would have disrupted their cute "show everything in alphabetical order" scheme!

No, at that point they would be at "P" in the alphabet. They replaced it with the 1981 "Pennies From Heaven". I checked, & "The Patent Leather Kid"was a Best Actor Nomination, so it fit with the alphabetizing, & the Oscar Theme . I like Richard Barthelmess, so it is a film I would have wanted to see.

They do the "oops, sorry" too much with silents, but not with the more modern stuff(about which I wouldn't care).
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Roscoe

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 12:36 pm

I keep seeing the ads on TCM for their Classic Film Festival, and think I should really make the effort and go, and then I get a look at what they're actually showing, and I think that I'll just do the San Francisco Silent Film Festival instead.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

Brooksie

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 1:16 pm

Why does anyone think the film has been dropped, anyway? It's still on the website (http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films/stella-dallas/) . I haven't seen any official announcement of its removal. Why jump to conclusions?

CoffeeDan

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Brooksie wrote:Why does anyone think the film has been dropped, anyway? It's still on the website (http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films/stella-dallas/) . I haven't seen any official announcement of its removal.

The bad news is on this page.

Brooksie

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 10:38 pm

Well, that's a shame. It's a superb film. There was not a dry eye in the house when it was shown in San Francisco a few years back. Here's hoping that it's in the midst of a top-notch restoration, because it absolutely warrants one.

missdupont

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 4:47 pm

YOu get so much more bang for your buck at SFSFF. It's so much cheaper and with live accompaniment, and most is not available on DVD or just coming out, while virtually everything shown at the TCM Festival is easily available and runs all the time on the channel.

bobfells

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 7:46 pm

Some years ago I got away from relying on TV showings of films. No doubt the drive for ratings that leads to higher advertising revenues is more important than programming vintage films, if the choice has to be made and it usually comes down to just that. TCM launched a new era in programming vintage films (actually TNT before it) but a change in ownership signaled that era would change substantially. Happily, Youtube and Archive.org have become alternate outlets for rarely aired films. No question that attending any of the terrific film festivals is the best way to see any of these films but there are financial and other limitations that make it difficult for many people to use this route. Bottom line, you have to be creative and open to viewing films in various forums including an ipad or an iphone. Depending on television showings is increasingly a waste of time.

Donald Binks

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 9:26 pm

bobfells wrote:Some years ago I got away from relying on TV showings of films...... .

Here in Oz I would be waiting for the sun to turn into a red dwarf before I could find any networks interested in putting on a picture made in a century prior to this and not in colour. :D

I therefore am glad of DVD's (prior to that it was the video cassette).

Yes, there are some good and interesting films on You Tube and many is the hour or fourteen I have "wasted" watching one fascinating thing after another. whilst firmly ensconced in front of the computer monitor. It is good too that You Tube has improved over the years and now affords greatly improved reproduction standards. The only trouble is that with some of the silent pictures, they run cold because of rights issues concerning the musical accompaniment. I would download these and add some music - but it is a very time-consuming job and I have so many other things to attend to....
Regards from
Donald Binks

"I tawt I taw a Pooty Tat. I did! I did taw a Pooty Tat!

bobfells

PostSat Feb 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Donald Binks: The only trouble is that with some of the silent pictures, they run cold because of rights issues concerning the musical accompaniment. I would download these and add some music - but it is a very time-consuming job and I have so many other things to attend to....

Same here. In a pinch I hum or just play the music in my head.

Bob

Mr.Mycroft

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Did anyone ever posted a homebrewed score for this film anywhere? I have the OOP dvd of it and was just wondering if there's anything in semi-sync to it?

bobfells

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Mr.Mycroft wrote:Did anyone ever posted a homebrewed score for this film anywhere? I have the OOP dvd of it and was just wondering if there's anything in semi-sync to it?

Yes, on my FB group, SILENT FILMS TODAY last year. Easier if you do a search on the site.

Mr.Mycroft

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 10:08 pm

bobfells wrote:
Yes, on my FB group, SILENT FILMS TODAY last year. Easier if you do a search on the site.

Many thanks!

Return to Silent News