The Salvation Hunters

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Bob Furem

The Salvation Hunters

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 12:54 pm

Mr. Leonard Maltin was kind enough to inform me that Von Sternberg's "The Salvation Hunters" is available on DVD-Region 2. I found it cheaper on Amazon UK than US. This is a big deal in my world. Also, his last film, Anathan, will be available in April from Kino in a new restoration.

s.w.a.c.

Re: The Salvation Hunters

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 3:06 pm

I didn't realize the folks at Filmmuseum were putting this out, I've only seen a lousy dub of a 16mm print, and would love an upgrade.

Includes a half-hour documentary and a surviving 4-minute fragment from The Case of Lena Smith, which I've never seen before.

IMDb wrote:A four-minute fragment from the end of the first reel of this film was found at Dalian, China, and is now kept at Theatre Museum, Waseda University, Japan. This fragment was screened at the 22nd Pordenone Silent Film Festival in 2003.

Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

grainy

PostWed Feb 15, 2017 4:35 pm

Fantastic!! Looking forward to seeing the Lena Smith material!
I've seen Salvation Hunters on youtube (I think) and I thought it was very good stuff.
Also looking forward to Anathan, which is touring on the big screen and will be in Seattle at the might Grand Illusion March 3-9

maliejandra

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 9:36 am

I saw this movie screened years ago when I was still in college at the Wexner Center (probably 2009?). I don't remember it! I was super excited to see it because I'd read so much about it, and I think I liked it, but I can't recall. I remember more about the weather that night, nice and lukewarm with a breeze, and meeting my husband who was getting out of a late class after it was over. Guess I'll have to revisit it.

Saint-Just

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 4:17 pm

I have what's probably a pretty inferior copy around here somewhere, but it didn't do enough for me to make me want to spring for an upgrade.

JRozgonyi

PostWed Mar 01, 2017 8:46 pm

Can someone tell me the following: if I bought this disc and set a computer's DVD setting to Region 2, could I play it? Or would the fact that it's PAL keep me from watching it (here in the U.S., I should specify)? Thanks.

Gary Newman

PostThu Mar 02, 2017 12:59 pm

JRozgonyi wrote:Can someone tell me the following: if I bought this disc and set a computer's DVD setting to Region 2, could I play it? Or would the fact that it's PAL keep me from watching it (here in the U.S., I should specify)? Thanks.

Don't set your computer to Region 2, because you may not be able to get it back to Region 1. All Filmmuseum DVDs are Region 0, including Salvation Hunters, and you will be able to play it on your computer. The fact that it is in PAL should not be a problem. I've never had a problem playing Filmmuseum DVDs on any of my computers.

Derek N

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 9:48 am

I just received my copy of The Salvation Hunters in the mail the other day. Haven't had time to watch it yet, but I'm very much looking forward to it! I'm glad I waited rather than caving in and watching one of the low quality YouTube uploads that have been around.

I also ordered five other Edition Filmmuseum releases--they have a fantastic catalog. This was my first order with them, but I've rented some of their releases from a wonderful local video rental store. Quality is always great, but I do wish they'd move to Blu-ray; I'm sure they have their reasons for not doing so. Among the other titles I ordered are Die Freudlose Gasse, Der Student von Prag, Four Films with Asta Nielsen, and Hamlet--all of which I've been wanting for a while.

They ship very quickly via DHL, by the way. Only took two or three business days to get to Seattle.

R. Cat

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 12:05 am

Derek N wrote:I just received my copy of The Salvation Hunters in the mail the other day. Haven't had time to watch it yet, but I'm very much looking forward to it! I'm glad I waited rather than caving in and watching one of the low quality YouTube uploads that have been around.

I also ordered five other Edition Filmmuseum releases--they have a fantastic catalog. This was my first order with them, but I've rented some of their releases from a wonderful local video rental store. Quality is always great, but I do wish they'd move to Blu-ray; I'm sure they have their reasons for not doing so. Among the other titles I ordered are Die Freudlose Gasse, Der Student von Prag, Four Films with Asta Nielsen, and Hamlet--all of which I've been wanting for a while.

They ship very quickly via DHL, by the way. Only took two or three business days to get to Seattle.

Excellent choices. I have Die Freudlose Gasse, but haven't had time to watch it yet. BTW, I'd also recommend this from EF:

https://www.edition-filmmuseum.com/prod ... edies.html

Max Davidson comedies are some of the best two-reelers from the silent era, bar none. When Pete Doctor was a guest of the SFSFF some years ago, as part of his Saturday morning presentation he included Davidson's Pass The Gravy, declaring it one of the funniest, influential comedies of the era. And as he predicted, the audience was in hysterics. You can literally chart how live action gags in this comedy inspired scenes in several classic WB cartoons. I'll say no more rather than risk spoilers.

Also, if this Danish silent drama isn't in your collection, I'd recommend Atlantis (August Blom, 1913), arguably the first truly feature length film and undoubtably the first based upon the then recent Titanic tragedy. The film is also unique in being filmed with two entirely different endings, one upbeat and one that's called the Siberian ending, specifically for the Russian market.

Here's the DVDBeaver link:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews23/atlantis.htm
Last edited by R. Cat on Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saint-Just

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 12:26 pm

'Atlantis' seems to be out of print.

R. Cat

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 2:47 pm

Saint-Just wrote:'Atlantis' seems to be out of print.

Wow, just checked and received a 404 message. That's a real shame because the film is both an excellent drama and historically important. And the alternate ending included in supplements is a priceless jaw dropper. The term "Siberian ending" has become a mainstay in our household filmviewing vernacular. :lol:

Glad I purchased this early on. Looking at this more optimistically though, since reading that Atlantis was mastered in high definition from well preserved source elements, maybe a progressively scanned Blu-ray release is in the works. Fingers crossed.

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 8:56 am

Hmmm...guess I'll have to hang on to my laserdisc of Atlantis a little while longer yet. As I recall, it was a late-entry silent title for the format, and the last time I played it a couple of years ago, I remember it looking better than I expected it to. I'm guessing a properly restored digital version would look outstanding.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Derek N

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 12:56 pm

R. Cat wrote:Excellent choices. I have Die Freudlose Gasse, but haven't had time to watch it yet. BTW, I'd also recommend this from EF:

https://www.edition-filmmuseum.com/prod ... edies.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

Max Davidson comedies are some of the best two-reelers from the silent era, bar none. When Pete Doctor was a guest of the SFSFF some years ago, as part of his Saturday morning presentation he included Davidson's Pass The Gravy, declaring it one of the funniest, influential comedies of the era. And as he predicted, the audience was in hysterics. You can literally chart how live action gags in this comedy inspired scenes in several classic WB cartoons. I'll say no more rather than risk spoilers.

Thanks, I will probably grab the Max Davidson set at some point. I want pretty much their entire silent collection. :D

Also, if this Danish silent drama isn't in your collection, I'd recommend Atlantis (August Blom, 1913), arguably the first truly feature length film and undoubtably the first based upon the then recent Titanic tragedy. The film is also unique in being filmed with two entirely different endings, one upbeat and one that's called the Siberian ending, specifically for the Russian market.

Here's the DVDBeaver link:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews23/atlantis.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank

Bummer about this apparently now being out of print. I may be able to rent it, though. Hopefully you're right about there maybe being a forthcoming Blu-ray!

Saint-Just

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Atlantis can be viewed through Flicker Alley's streaming service.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/26456

Rick Lanham

PostWed Mar 15, 2017 7:02 pm

Saint-Just wrote:Atlantis can be viewed through Flicker Alley's streaming service.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/26456" target="_blank

Very cool. Thanks!

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

R. Cat

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 12:53 am

Saint-Just wrote:Atlantis can be viewed through Flicker Alley's streaming service.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/26456

Does FA's streaming service also screen Atlantis' alternate Siberian ending? :?:

That was a kewl extra with the original release.

Battra92

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 6:22 am

R. Cat wrote:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/26456" target="_blank

Does FA's streaming service also screen Atlantis' alternate Siberian ending? :?:

That was a kewl extra with the original release.

I don't know but it is available on the Tubes of You.

Return to Silent News