Colleen Moore's OH, KAY! (1928) -- apparently extant?

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

WaverBoy

Colleen Moore's OH, KAY! (1928) -- apparently extant?

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Our very own Ed Lorusso helpfully posted on FaceBook the following link to the film's LOC entry:

http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/loc.m ... fault.html

Looks like the EYE Film Institute Netherlands holds a print. Hadn't heard of this development. Anyone here have any more details on print status or possible restoration/release status?

WaverBoy

Re: Colleen Moore's OH, KAY! (1928) -- apparently extant?

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Ed had posted the LOC link in reply to a post of the following link by Anne Svensson on FB:

http://un1324.blogspot.no/2014/12/oh-ka ... m.html?m=1

It features a picture of a film fragment from OH, KAY!.

silentfilm

PostSun Feb 19, 2017 4:30 pm

This frame actually looks tinted...

Gagman 66

PostMon Feb 20, 2017 3:11 am

:? I have known for quite some time that a chunk of OH KAY! had been found. Alas, I was not sure by who or where? I was excited to see the thread on Facebook yesterday. Not sure that it's in-tact or not? The LOC Silent Film Survival Database says that The EYE Netherlands Institute of Film have 6 reels. That's pretty short for a 1928 Silent feature. Especially one based on a famous Musical. I think it was a little longer then that. The word "Complete" is absent in the entry. As opposed to NAUGHTY BUT NICE (1927) where the state definitely on the LOC Data Base "Complete". In any event, the fact that EYE has this title is great news, as it stands a very good chance of being restored soon.

NBN is in a Barcelona Archive, but I was told to bring this to the attention of the Academy Film Archive by Paul Rutan Junior who was part of the restoration team on HER WILD OAT back in 2006. He believes that if AFA gets interested they will restore the movie. Paul told me back in December to contact the preservation officer at the following address:

Josef Lindner, the Preservation Officer. 1300 N. Vine St. Hollywood Ca. 90038. (Assuming that it is OK to post this info here?) He also told me that the AFA apparently would allow Kickstarter projects to raise funds. Most encouraging.

In another Colleen related note, Eric Grayson ha become interested along with Jeff Codori, Jeffrey Nelson and myself in a possible restoration and stills reconstruction of the missing two reels of ELLA CINDERS. This would get underway probably in May or so. In an unexpected turn EC is actually on the TCM May Advance schedule? Not sure what to make of that? I'm trying to get some additional information.

Not forgetting the recent screening, only a few weeks ago in London of ORCHIDS AND ERMINE from a beautiful quality 35 Millimeter print that the BFI owns. That seems to have went over big. Screened with a a new score. If only we could get that on TCM or released through Warner Archive.

Return to Silent News