San Francisco Silent Film Festival Schedule

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Bob Furem

San Francisco Silent Film Festival Schedule

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:19 pm

http://prod3.agileticketing.net/websale ... 224f26742&

Here it is, folks. Who else will be attending?

R. Cat

Re: San Francisco Silent Film Festival Schedule

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:53 pm

Seriously considering it. The last SFSFF we attended was about six years ago. If our schedules align my wife and I may make the Amtrak sojourn from Texas. Looks like a great range of films this year. Love this Festival!

oldposterho

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 7:29 am

That might be worth the drive down,would love to see the 'new' Lost World. Some day when I win the lottery I'm going to book the Room 1219 suite and spend the weekend in drunken silent movie decadence.

Bob Furem

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 1:21 pm

I haven't been for about 5 years. Really looking forward to this.

Roscoe

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 2:53 pm

Very much looking forward to this year's festival. Glad to see such a great lineup, looks like I'll be taking up residence at the Castro for those three days.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

Brooksie

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 5:22 pm

I expect to be there! :D

rudyfan

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Yup, will be there

Bob Furem

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 1:31 pm

The Nitrateville get-together at Cinecon last year was some kind of swell, thanks to Brooksie. Is there any interest in such a gathering in San Francisco? If memory serves, there is no built-in dinner break, but an after fest cocktail or snack might be fun.

Brooksie

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 11:29 am

Frederica is the one who began our esteemed tradition of Nitrateville get-togethers at Cinecon. I was just following in her footsteps! But I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves. :)

You're right, it's difficult to get a formal dinner together at the SFSFF unless everyone's willing to miss a film, which is a big ask. In the past, I've found that a breakfast meet-up can work pretty well, but the cafes within walking distance of the Castro Theatre don't tend to accommodate large groups of people. If anyone has any suggestions, go ahead.

Bob Furem

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 12:03 pm

Right, Brooksie, I don't think anyone is going to want to miss a film. I know I won't. I am staying at the Queen Anne, which is a partner with the festival. Perhaps a cocktail there after the last film one evening. I will happily pay for a cab full of Nitratevillains. Nothing too late or licentious as we all need a good night's sleep for the next day's screenings. Anyway, just a thought. I would be happy to phone the hotel to ascertain if this is plausible if I get interest from a few folks. I am also open to any and all other ideas. Cheers!

Bob

Roscoe

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 2:19 pm

The SFSFF schedule lists the running time of THE THREE MUSKETEERS as being 146 minutes long -- I don't remember the film running much more than two hours at other screenings I've attended. Typo, or frame rate adjustment, or what?

BenModel

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 3:28 pm

If it's an FPS thing and not a typo, then that'd mean the film was rendered out at 20 fps. The T3M DVD that I released in December, running at 24 fps, came out to 119 mins.
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Rob Byrne talks about it in the (PLUG!) NitrateVille Radio podcast as being a new restoration with MOMA. So it is quite possible that it is a longer version than people have known before. Not just a slower one.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Roscoe

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 8:07 am

Does Mr. Byrne refer to an extended running time? More than 20 minutes of restored footage would be something to publicize, and publicize heavily.

Roscoe

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 11:49 am

I reached out to the SFSFF and got this reply:

"I have not yet seen our co-restoration with MoMA (still in progress), nor do I have a screener, but since our board president is the one doing the restoration, I trust that it is, in fact, 146 minutes. Perhaps the versions you've seen were incomplete or played at the wrong frames-per-second rate."

And I listened to the part of the podcast referring to the MUSKETEERS, and it sounds like Mr. Byrne is referring to an original version of the film that hasn't been seen in generations. And I'll be a more regular listener to that podcast in future!

avance

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 8:19 am

Brooksie wrote:You're right, it's difficult to get a formal dinner together at the SFSFF unless everyone's willing to miss a film, which is a big ask. In the past, I've found that a breakfast meet-up can work pretty well, but the cafes within walking distance of the Castro Theatre don't tend to accommodate large groups of people. If anyone has any suggestions, go ahead.

I am attending for the first time and arrive from the UK on the Wednesday evening. It would be great to meet some of you. Are people attending the opening party on the Thursday evening?

Also, is the Castro is cleared after each screening or can you stay rooted to your seat of choice for the whole of a session? The breaks in between screenings seem much more generous than Pordennone or Bologna where there is scarely time to pop to the loo, so I am guessing it is cleared.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Amran

missdupont

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 8:55 am

Hi avance,
If you do have a pass, you can stay in your seat. Those who buy individual tickets must leave the theatre between each screening, which is most of the people. I'm just getting into town on Thursday, so can't make that night.

avance

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 12:26 pm

missdupont wrote:Hi avance,
If you do have a pass, you can stay in your seat. Those who buy individual tickets must leave the theatre between each screening, which is most of the people. I'm just getting into town on Thursday, so can't make that night.

Thanks for the reply. I have purchased individual tickets. It worked out more cost effective as I have seen quite a lot of the films recently at Pordenone, Bologna or at the National Film Theatre in London.

Plus I want to get some sightseeing in! First time in San Francisco and, indeed, California.

Amran

greta de groat

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 11:46 pm

If you've got tickets for consecutive films you can also stay in the theater, at least i always have. Just keep your ticket handy because someone will sometimes come around and check it.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

avance

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 3:00 am

greta de groat wrote:If you've got tickets for consecutive films you can also stay in the theater, at least i always have. Just keep your ticket handy because someone will sometimes come around and check it.

greta

Great, thanks Greta.

Brooksie

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 11:56 am

I don't usually attend the Thursday night opening party - from what I understand it tends to be a pretty cramped and loud affair, and the SFSFF can be exhausting, so I try to conserve my energy. On the face of it, a meet-up before the Thursday night session would be a good idea, but there are many people who travel from interstate and would have trouble getting there in time.

As missdupont says, they do clear the theatre to non-passholders after every session, but they also require passholders who leave the theatre building to get on what can be a very long queue for the next session. Particularly for the ladies, the bathrooms are tiny and the line huge. More than once, I've had to choose between lunch and a bathroom visit!

It's too bad there's little capacity for an informal meet up somewhere inside the theatre. The top levels are usually occupied by the VIP area and the book signings. If anyone is aware of somewhere that we might meet, speak up.

greta de groat

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 10:16 pm

I've had most of my meetups in the bathroom line! Especially since it takes up a considerable amount of the between-films time.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

avance

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 6:30 am

Brooksie wrote: As missdupont says, they do clear the theatre to non-passholders after every session, but they also require passholders who leave the theatre building to get on what can be a very long queue for the next session. Particularly for the ladies, the bathrooms are tiny and the line huge. More than once, I've had to choose between lunch and a bathroom visit!

greta de groat wrote:I've had most of my meetups in the bathroom line! Especially since it takes up a considerable amount of the between-films time.

greta

Hmm, it all seems pretty tight time-wise. What do you do for lunch? Grab a sandwich? Could you bring your own and eat it in the auditorium or is that frowned upon?

I presume its okay to leave your bag on your seat to reserve it whilst you pop to the bathroom?

Thanks for all your answers!

Amran

Bob Furem

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 12:11 pm

avance wrote:
Brooksie wrote: As missdupont says, they do clear the theatre to non-passholders after every session, but they also require passholders who leave the theatre building to get on what can be a very long queue for the next session. Particularly for the ladies, the bathrooms are tiny and the line huge. More than once, I've had to choose between lunch and a bathroom visit!

greta de groat wrote:I've had most of my meetups in the bathroom line! Especially since it takes up a considerable amount of the between-films time.

greta

Hmm, it all seems pretty tight time-wise. What do you do for lunch? Grab a sandwich? Could you bring your own and eat it in the auditorium or is that frowned upon?

I presume its okay to leave your bag on your seat to reserve it whilst you pop to the bathroom?

Thanks for all your answers!

Amran

There are a couple of restaurants across the street and around the corner from the Castro. Nothing fancy, but adequate if you want a bite between films. Even though I have a pass, I have been known to dine between films and stand in line for the next film. This has never been a problem. I haven't missed a fade-up yet. One year they sold sandwiches in the Castro, but I believe that is no longer the case.

Brooksie

PostMon Apr 17, 2017 1:20 pm

Bob Furem wrote:One year they sold sandwiches in the Castro, but I believe that is no longer the case.

And I wish they'd do it again! I think it only happened once, but everyone has said ever since how good it was.

I'm certainly not dismissing the idea of a formal meet-up out of hand - far from it - it's just that in my experience, they have been particularly tricky to set up, given the SFSFF's format.

Return to Silent News