NOW WE'RE IN THE AIR Found (Partly)

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

The Blackbird

NOW WE'RE IN THE AIR Found (Partly)

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 11:12 pm

23 minutes of NOW WE'RE IN THE AIR, starring Louise Brooks, Wallace Beery and Raymond Hatton have reportedly turned up.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/58d ... a4a5e250ca" target="_blank

westegg

Re: NOW WE'RE IN THE AIR Found (Partly)

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 6:07 am

Wow. Let's keep exploring those Czech archives!

How can so many Paramount movies go missing in 1927? I know, silly question.

silentfilm

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 6:25 am

Raymond Hatton in Now We're In the Air (1927).

radiotelefonia

PostThu Mar 30, 2017 11:11 am

s.w.a.c.

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 6:43 am

I see it's screening in SF along with the Clara Bow comedy Get Your Man. I wonder if the current restoration of the Bow film includes the brief snippet of her putting on makeup after faking a car crash (from an otherwise lost reel) that was found in a cache of clips of her a few years back?
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 8:18 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:I see it's screening in SF along with the Clara Bow comedy Get Your Man. I wonder if the current restoration of the Bow film includes the brief snippet of her putting on makeup after faking a car crash (from an otherwise lost reel) that was found in a cache of clips of her a few years back?

I saw the restored version at MoMA last year, and yes, it does include that brief sequence.
-- Charlie Morrow

s.w.a.c.

PostSat Apr 01, 2017 9:25 pm

Wm. Charles Morrow wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:I see it's screening in SF along with the Clara Bow comedy Get Your Man. I wonder if the current restoration of the Bow film includes the brief snippet of her putting on makeup after faking a car crash (from an otherwise lost reel) that was found in a cache of clips of her a few years back?

I saw the restored version at MoMA last year, and yes, it does include that brief sequence.

Terrific! It was a real treat to see Get Your Man at Cinefest, only to see that snippet in the array of clips afterwards. Glad to see it's found its way back home.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

earlytalkiebuffRob

PostSat May 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Excellent news - thank you very much!

Wm. Charles Morrow

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 5:49 pm

As noted in another post, the recently restored footage from Now We’re in the Air was shown at the Mostly Lost film workshop in Culpeper VA, earlier this month. Spoiler alert: Louise Brooks appears only briefly in the surviving footage. Naturally, we all would’ve liked to see more of her, but on the other hand it’s best to regard the glass as half full, and enjoy what’s there.

Most of what’s there, as it turns out, are scenes featuring the star comedians, Wallace Beery and Raymond Hatton. One viewer I spoke with at Mostly Lost compared them to Laurel & Hardy, but to me their shtick was more along the lines of Abbott & Costello, i.e. very broadly played, and without the character nuance of L&H. But they’re amusing, and the aerial sequences are well staged.

When I got back from Culpeper I found a contemporary review of the film in Variety with a synopsis. It seems that Beery & Hatton somehow wind up in the Air Force accidentally, while plotting to seize the fortune of their Scottish grandfather, “an aviation fan who is trying to get into the World War as a flyer.” (The grandfather of Beery or Hatton? Variety doesn’t say, but either way their behavior sounds more like A&C than L&H.) The review also describes a routine that doesn’t appear in the recovered footage, in which—for unexplained reasons—our heroes disguise themselves in a vaudeville-style cow costume, a two-man outfit, and then have to dodge a near-sighted soldier determined to milk the cow. The critic adds: “This is fun that poises perilously balanced between vulgarity and robust amusement.”

As for Miss Brooks, well, we do get a few minutes of her. She plays a circus performer, and steps out of her trailer wearing a fetching black tutu. Soon afterward, Beery & Hatton tumble into the basket of an observation balloon which takes off, and they’re carried away across enemy lines. When we last see Louise, she’s looking anxiously up at the sky. No wonder they called this movie Now We’re in the Air.
-- Charlie Morrow

missdupont

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 7:47 pm

As noted in several of the SFSFF reviews posted here, the giant airplane was footage taken from WINGS. The sequence with Brooks was shot at Lasky RAnch in what is now Forest Lawn Hollywood, and the Hollywood Sign would be on the other side of the hill seen right in the middle of the action.

Rodney

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 9:58 pm

missdupont wrote:As noted in several of the SFSFF reviews posted here, the giant airplane was footage taken from WINGS. The sequence with Brooks was shot at Lasky RAnch in what is now Forest Lawn Hollywood, and the Hollywood Sign would be on the other side of the hill seen right in the middle of the action.

The bombed-out French village in the background of the Louise Brooks sequence looked a lot like the post-battle set from Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. I'd need to compare screen shots to be sure, but I can't think why it wouldn't be.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

missdupont

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 10:41 pm

It's very definitely the Lasky Ranch in what is now Forest Lawn, that hill seen in virtually every shot with Louise is now called Mt. Lee, and the Hollywoodland Sign would have been right on the other side.

Return to Silent News