THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

SilentsPlease

  • Posts: 248
  • Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Saint-Just wrote:Even apart from the cost I can't get excited about this - the stop motion is the star, the rest is pretty middling stuff, and Lloyd Hughes must be the blandest leading man of the entire silent era. When I had the Lumivision DVD I watched the extras far more than the feature; I have the Image version now and couldn't even tell you the last time I looked at any of it.


Does the Lumivision DVD supplement contain a still photo of the original Doyle on-screen appearance in the film? Is this photo available online? If not, can you describe what the photo looks like? The new Flicker Alley Blu-ray does not have this photo in its supplement, unfortunately.

For those who don't know, the Doyle appearance on the Blu-ray's opening scene is not the original footage. The original Doyle footage of him sitting at his desk reading a poem has been lost. But a still photo of the footage survives, and is included in the Lumivision DVD. David Shepard's 2000 restoration also has the unoriginal Doyle opening.
Offline
User avatar

Roscoe

  • Posts: 201
  • Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:28 am

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 8:59 am

I saw this at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival and had a great time -- vastly entertaining and most impressive on that huge Castro Theater screen. I prefer the energy of the Alloy Orchestra score to the orchestral score on the Blu-Ray, but whatever. I enjoyed the Blu-Ray a great deal, and am very glad to have it in my library. A tasty treat, with some still impressive effects.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com
Offline
User avatar

bigshot

  • Posts: 801
  • Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 am

Mike Gebert wrote:If Flicker Alley seems expensive, you can always collect 16mm.


Or just wait for the UK release. You'll probably do better. I learned that lesson the hard way with the Chaplin Mutuals.
Offline
User avatar

Rodney

  • Posts: 2290
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:09 am
  • Location: Louisville, Colorado

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 9:47 am

Red Bartlett wrote:I'm comparing Flicker's prices to the competition. I never buy Criterions at full price -- usually for $20 during a B&N sale. And Kino's run around $18-20. Flicker does a good job most of the time (I guess I'd rank them somewhere between Kino and Criterion). But they cost two of those.

Dead horse, I know. Point is -- despite Flicker putting out a lot of great titles -- there's a reason I have a shelf full of Kino and Criterions.


It is a bit unfair to compare Flicker Alley's list prices to Criterion and Kino's sale prices. Flicker Alley also has sale prices, particularly if you purchase ahead of the release date. They are also putting out items with a much more refined (and limited) audience, which requires each unit to cover more of production costs (I don't think I'd anticipate another company releasing House of Mystery or The Clinging Vine, for instance). Your purchase of The Lost World helps underwrite those ambitious, if less financially rewarding, undertakings.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"
Offline
User avatar

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

  • Posts: 5618
  • Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:23 pm
  • Location: Chicago

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 am

Here's an interview with Serge Bromberg about restoring the film. The hard way.

http://sfsilentfilmfestival.blogspot.co ... -with.html
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier
Offline
User avatar

Red Bartlett

  • Posts: 75
  • Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:30 am

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 8:46 am

My Flicker Alley blu-ray arrived yesterday and I got to sample a good 20-30 minutes last night. Loved it! And it looks really great. Very sharp from what I saw. Even through the scratches it looked quite brilliant.

As a film, I am really enjoying the pacing. It briskly introduced its characters without wasting any of its energy and excitement. Great tints, too. It feels like a "big event" movie. Like a blockbuster from long, long ago. As it surely was. The great grand-daddy of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The king before Kong.

To anyone thinking this is only worth the stop-motion effects -- so far, I feel just the opposite is true. As groundbreaking and historic as those effects certainly are -- they are what they are. I'm viewing this just as much as a groundbreaking adventure film.

Anyway, I'm only partly the way through. I'm anxious to see how this compares overall to King Kong of a few years later. So far it's really holding its own in my estimation. I'm going to enjoy watching the rest this weekend. This is a fun popcorn movie. What a gem!


Image
Offline

SilentsPlease

  • Posts: 248
  • Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 8:22 pm

SilentsPlease wrote:
Saint-Just wrote:Even apart from the cost I can't get excited about this - the stop motion is the star, the rest is pretty middling stuff, and Lloyd Hughes must be the blandest leading man of the entire silent era. When I had the Lumivision DVD I watched the extras far more than the feature; I have the Image version now and couldn't even tell you the last time I looked at any of it.


Does the Lumivision DVD supplement contain a still photo of the original Doyle on-screen appearance in the film? Is this photo available online? If not, can you describe what the photo looks like? The new Flicker Alley Blu-ray does not have this photo in its supplement, unfortunately.

For those who don't know, the Doyle appearance on the Blu-ray's opening scene is not the original footage. The original Doyle footage of him sitting at his desk reading a poem has been lost. But a still photo of the footage survives, and is included in the Lumivision DVD. David Shepard's 2000 restoration also has the unoriginal Doyle opening.


Here is a picture of the original Doyle introduction. It is found in the still gallery section of my copy of the Lumivision DVD. Doyle is shown sitting down writing the dedication to his book ("To the boy who's half a man, or the man who's half a boy"), while co-producer Watterson Rothacker stands beside him:

Image
Offline

linquist

  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 6:05 am

THE LOST WORLD will be playing at the Milwaukee Film Festival on October 3rd. (Next Week.)
Offline
User avatar

Great Hierophant

  • Posts: 130
  • Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 7:53 am

SilentsPlease wrote:Here is a picture of the original Doyle introduction. It is found in the still gallery section of my copy of the Lumivision DVD. Doyle is shown sitting down writing the dedication to his book ("To the boy who's half a man, or the man who's half a boy"), while co-producer Watterson Rothacker stands beside him:

Image


The tags did not show the image directly, so click on this link to view it : https://i.imgur.com/eLOLIDW.jpg
Offline

SilentsPlease

  • Posts: 248
  • Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 9:00 am

Great Hierophant wrote:The tags did not show the image directly, so click on this link to view it : https://i.imgur.com/eLOLIDW.jpg


It shows perfectly on all of my PCs. You probably need to upgrade your browser or change its settings or something.
Offline
User avatar

Great Hierophant

  • Posts: 130
  • Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 8:55 am

SilentsPlease wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:The tags did not show the image directly, so click on this link to view it : https://i.imgur.com/eLOLIDW.jpg


It shows perfectly on all of my PCs. You probably need to upgrade your browser or change its settings or something.


I needed to adjust my cookie settings to get it to show up.
Offline
User avatar

bigshot

  • Posts: 801
  • Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 10:02 am

I screened this last night and it is about as good of a presentation of a silent film as I've ever seen. Great image quality, perfectly suited music. I noticed a little hitch in the restoration credits at the end, but the movie itself looked smooth. Great job overall. Happy to have this one.
Offline
User avatar

Scott J

  • Posts: 50
  • Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:41 pm

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Came across this while researching my Phantom project.

Image

Fun to imagine being there in 1925 and seeing this! Added some color for further enjoyment. I make no claims of historical accuracy :mrgreen:

Image
Previous

Return to Silent News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests