THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

WaverBoy

THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 12:16 am

I see that THE LOST WORLD is playing at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival and being touted as a new restoration that's more complete than ever before, with the Alloy Orchestra accompanying. Anyone have any details on this? Do we finally have a complete-as-possible unbowdlerized version of THE LOST WORLD? And if so, does anyone know of DVD/Blu-ray release plans?

silentfilm

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 11:21 am

I don't know a lot of details, but I believe that this was one of David Shepard's final projects. It will eventually be released by Flicker Alley.

R. Cat

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 2:55 pm

silentfilm wrote:I don't know a lot of details, but I believe that this was one of David Shepard's final projects. It will eventually be released by Flicker Alley.

A definitive version of this classic is excellent news indeed! David's restoration mastered from elements justifying BD release with the Mont Alto orchestra score would be icing on the cake. Speaking of which, that's another check in the plus column for making the trek to SFSFF this year (it coincidentally falls on my B-day). :lol:

Tommie Hicks

PostMon Apr 03, 2017 4:55 pm

Around the turn of the century I was contacted through the Sabucat board by a fellow whose last name as Adamitis. He told me he had a nitrate print of Monty Banks' FLYING LUCK of which Ben Model produced a DVD. Adamitis also told me he had six original nitrate reels of THE LOST WORLD. Mr. Adamitis passed away not long after. Are these reels being used for the new TLW restoration?

WaverBoy

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 10:04 am

Tommie Hicks wrote:Around the turn of the century I was contacted through the Sabucat board by a fellow whose last name as Adamitis. He told me he had a nitrate print of Monty Banks' FLYING LUCK of which Ben Model produced a DVD. Adamitis also told me he had six original nitrate reels of THE LOST WORLD. Mr. Adamitis passed away not long after. Are these reels being used for the new TLW restoration?

I second that question. Thanks for the info, guys; sounds promising!

Allen Perkins

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 11:29 am

This restoration was released on DVD only in France, back in October. I had no idea about it until a few weeks ago. It took a bit of automatic translation and sifting through different French websites to figure out that this DVD does, in fact, have a new restoration, since I couldn't find any English coverage of it anywhere until a bit later when I found a tiny blurb about it on Robert Israel's website (he did the score). The Amazon.fr listing describes all of the bonus features from the decade old copy.

Anyway, my copy came in two days ago so here are my thoughts. The tinting is all digitally recreated and looks decent, but sometimes the brightest highlights are pure white on my screen. The speed randomly and dramatically changes, which isn't something I'm used to, and all of the titles were digitally redone without being noted as such (I guess for consistency purposes), but in general I was pretty satisfied with it. No revisionism either. There is a Lobster Films copyright claim on the opening title, but they redid that title anyway.

It appears that they would default to the American nitrate whenever possible, with the Czech 35mm copy being the primary backup and 16mm Kodascopes being secondary backups. Once again we have the newsreel footage of Conan Doyle at the beginning, the map animation from the trailer, and apparently the dino outtakes (which I'm not as familiar with).

The booklet that comes with it said the American nitrate fragment was composed of reels 3, 5, 6 and 9 from Adamitis. The coverage begins during the scene of Ed finally being welcomed into Challenger's home and ends during Challenger's final presentation at Zoological Hall. The new footage appears throughout this long span of the film in large chunks and it all looks great. There's more wildlife footage, A-takes/angles of scenes formerly present only in the Czech copy, a lot of extensions of various scenes (including extensions of previously Czech only fragments of scenes that now make more sense), and a good bit of comedy relief. The new material gives the human scenes a more lighthearted feel, in general, which doesn't surprise me since some of the Czech only footage, too, was pretty lighthearted.

The tinting is, I assume, derived from the Adamitis reels, and there are some nice combinations of tinting and toning in a few scenes. The burning log in the dinosaur's mouth is in glorious Handschiegl color.
Last edited by Allen Perkins on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L. Jeffrey Selznick School of Film Preservation
Class of 2017

Great Hierophant

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 12:56 pm

DVD cover of the French release : https://www.amazon.fr/monde-perdu-Walla ... onde+perdu" target="_blank

s.w.a.c.

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 8:25 am

Of course there's a new restoration, I just bought the Flicker Alley MOD version a few days before this post began. Never fails...
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Mark Zimmer

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 10:08 am

All right, I will assume Flicker Alley will follow up and actually release this, even though I hear the French release calling my name.

bigshot

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 10:13 am

I'm not waiting... ordered!

mwalls

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 11:34 am

I am going to wait for the Flicker version.

Matthew

WaverBoy

PostMon Apr 10, 2017 4:49 pm

Thanks for the info, Allen! Unfortunately, the Amazon.fr listing says it will ship in 1-2 months...?

bigshot

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 10:21 am

Lobster is very slow about getting their titles to Amazon.fr. I had to wait months and months for a couple of their titles. But it's always worth it in the end.

BrianG

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 1:17 pm

I have the Image DVD, but hoping for a Flicker Alley new restoration.

bigshot

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 12:13 am

This is a new restoration, but it's only available through Lobster Films in France.

mwalls

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 6:13 am

Flicker Alley is working to release the restoration as well.

Matthew

bigshot

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 10:48 am

As DVD or blu-ray?

greta de groat

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 12:24 pm

So just to clarify, this is different than either the previous David Shepard restoration and the GEH restoration? What year was David S. previous restoration? The earliest release i can find of it is 2001. I'm asking because i've got the Flicker Alley MOD on my desk right now to catalog, and i'm trying to describe it in a way that it will be distinguishable when we get the Flicker Alley release of the new restoration.

thanks
greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Scoundrel

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 2:52 pm

The Flicker Alley MOD is a reissue of the previous David Shepard restoration.

Having purchased the Lumivision LD and DVD of the Kodascope cutdown as well as the GEH and David Shepard
restorations, the upcoming Lobster Films version had better be really unique before I go the the well for this one again.
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Allen Perkins

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 3:31 pm

My post probably wasn't clear enough... this restoration does, indeed, have a ton of new material, mostly at the plateau. There is a shot from the Allosaurus vs. Edmontosaurus scene I'd never seen before, showing the latter's flesh in the former's mouth with blood dripping out. I guess that was too graphic for the Kodascope.

L. Jeffrey Selznick School of Film Preservation
Class of 2017

FlickerAlley

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 5:09 pm

We are currently working on the release of Lobster Films' restoration on Blu-ray.

WaverBoy

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 11:27 am

FlickerAlley wrote:We are currently working on the release of Lobster Films' restoration on Blu-ray.

Excellent news! Might I plead that, if this is going to be running at a speed other than 24fps, you do 1080i instead of 1080p, in order to ward off any undesirable motion artifacting?

FlickerAlley

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 11:45 am

WaverBoy wrote:
FlickerAlley wrote:We are currently working on the release of Lobster Films' restoration on Blu-ray.

Excellent news! Might I plead that, if this is going to be running at a speed other than 24fps, you do 1080i instead of 1080p, in order to ward off any undesirable motion artifacting?

Thank you. We always do our best to provide the highest quality materials, even when converting frame rates. We'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Battra92

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 12:55 pm

That's enough for me. I won't import if you guys are going to release it. :)

bigshot

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 3:41 pm

Blu-ray trumps DVD. I'll wait too.

Ken Winokur

PostSat Apr 15, 2017 3:00 pm

I have seen the new restoration (we have a copy to compose and rehearse to). It is significantly better than the previous David S. restoration. As advertised there is more of the original footage (about 10 minutes I believe). The new footage is bits and pieces of various scenes - helping to flesh out the story. To me the biggest advantage is that Shepard worked from some much better elements. The quality changes throughout the film, but much of it is enormously sharper, better contrast and far less wear and tear.

Alloy's score will not be included in the new release. We did rewrite and majorly improve our old score, so I'm confident that our show at the SF Silent FF will be our best effort to date.
Ken Winokur
alloyorchestra.com

Rodney

PostSun Apr 16, 2017 8:41 pm

Lost World was the first movie I saw Alloy play for, quite some time ago. My son was inspired to be a dinosaur for Halloween that year, and made "cities" of building blocks to destruct. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing the improved version.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

All Darc

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 12:18 am

Keep thinking...

Great Hierophant

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 9:13 pm

All Darc wrote:

I stopped watching soon after he said "The Lost World is a Public Domain film, there's no copyright laws attached to it, which is perfect so I can have it on my channel." I despise such arrogant prigs who assume that everything connected with a silent film is in the public domain. I'm also not fond of off the cuff, extemporaneous commentaries on films in general.

All Darc

PostWed Apr 19, 2017 9:40 pm

May I suggest a special dedicatory to David Shepard in this edition?

Keep thinking...

Next

Return to Silent News