THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

SilentsPlease

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostWed Sep 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Saint-Just wrote:Even apart from the cost I can't get excited about this - the stop motion is the star, the rest is pretty middling stuff, and Lloyd Hughes must be the blandest leading man of the entire silent era. When I had the Lumivision DVD I watched the extras far more than the feature; I have the Image version now and couldn't even tell you the last time I looked at any of it.

Does the Lumivision DVD supplement contain a still photo of the original Doyle on-screen appearance in the film? Is this photo available online? If not, can you describe what the photo looks like? The new Flicker Alley Blu-ray does not have this photo in its supplement, unfortunately.

For those who don't know, the Doyle appearance on the Blu-ray's opening scene is not the original footage. The original Doyle footage of him sitting at his desk reading a poem has been lost. But a still photo of the footage survives, and is included in the Lumivision DVD. David Shepard's 2000 restoration also has the unoriginal Doyle opening.

Roscoe

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 8:59 am

I saw this at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival and had a great time -- vastly entertaining and most impressive on that huge Castro Theater screen. I prefer the energy of the Alloy Orchestra score to the orchestral score on the Blu-Ray, but whatever. I enjoyed the Blu-Ray a great deal, and am very glad to have it in my library. A tasty treat, with some still impressive effects.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

bigshot

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 am

Mike Gebert wrote:If Flicker Alley seems expensive, you can always collect 16mm.

Or just wait for the UK release. You'll probably do better. I learned that lesson the hard way with the Chaplin Mutuals.

Rodney

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 9:47 am

Red Bartlett wrote:I'm comparing Flicker's prices to the competition. I never buy Criterions at full price -- usually for $20 during a B&N sale. And Kino's run around $18-20. Flicker does a good job most of the time (I guess I'd rank them somewhere between Kino and Criterion). But they cost two of those.

Dead horse, I know. Point is -- despite Flicker putting out a lot of great titles -- there's a reason I have a shelf full of Kino and Criterions.

It is a bit unfair to compare Flicker Alley's list prices to Criterion and Kino's sale prices. Flicker Alley also has sale prices, particularly if you purchase ahead of the release date. They are also putting out items with a much more refined (and limited) audience, which requires each unit to cover more of production costs (I don't think I'd anticipate another company releasing House of Mystery or The Clinging Vine, for instance). Your purchase of The Lost World helps underwrite those ambitious, if less financially rewarding, undertakings.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostThu Sep 14, 2017 10:27 am

Here's an interview with Serge Bromberg about restoring the film. The hard way.

http://sfsilentfilmfestival.blogspot.co ... -with.html
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Red Bartlett

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 8:46 am

My Flicker Alley blu-ray arrived yesterday and I got to sample a good 20-30 minutes last night. Loved it! And it looks really great. Very sharp from what I saw. Even through the scratches it looked quite brilliant.

As a film, I am really enjoying the pacing. It briskly introduced its characters without wasting any of its energy and excitement. Great tints, too. It feels like a "big event" movie. Like a blockbuster from long, long ago. As it surely was. The great grand-daddy of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The king before Kong.

To anyone thinking this is only worth the stop-motion effects -- so far, I feel just the opposite is true. As groundbreaking and historic as those effects certainly are -- they are what they are. I'm viewing this just as much as a groundbreaking adventure film.

Anyway, I'm only partly the way through. I'm anxious to see how this compares overall to King Kong of a few years later. So far it's really holding its own in my estimation. I'm going to enjoy watching the rest this weekend. This is a fun popcorn movie. What a gem!

SilentsPlease

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 8:22 pm

SilentsPlease wrote:
Saint-Just wrote:Even apart from the cost I can't get excited about this - the stop motion is the star, the rest is pretty middling stuff, and Lloyd Hughes must be the blandest leading man of the entire silent era. When I had the Lumivision DVD I watched the extras far more than the feature; I have the Image version now and couldn't even tell you the last time I looked at any of it.

Does the Lumivision DVD supplement contain a still photo of the original Doyle on-screen appearance in the film? Is this photo available online? If not, can you describe what the photo looks like? The new Flicker Alley Blu-ray does not have this photo in its supplement, unfortunately.

For those who don't know, the Doyle appearance on the Blu-ray's opening scene is not the original footage. The original Doyle footage of him sitting at his desk reading a poem has been lost. But a still photo of the footage survives, and is included in the Lumivision DVD. David Shepard's 2000 restoration also has the unoriginal Doyle opening.

Here is a picture of the original Doyle introduction. It is found in the still gallery section of my copy of the Lumivision DVD. Doyle is shown sitting down writing the dedication to his book ("To the boy who's half a man, or the man who's half a boy"), while co-producer Watterson Rothacker stands beside him:

linquist

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 6:05 am

THE LOST WORLD will be playing at the Milwaukee Film Festival on October 3rd. (Next Week.)

Great Hierophant

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 7:53 am

SilentsPlease wrote:Here is a picture of the original Doyle introduction. It is found in the still gallery section of my copy of the Lumivision DVD. Doyle is shown sitting down writing the dedication to his book ("To the boy who's half a man, or the man who's half a boy"), while co-producer Watterson Rothacker stands beside him:

The tags did not show the image directly, so click on this link to view it : https://i.imgur.com/eLOLIDW.jpg

SilentsPlease

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 9:00 am

Great Hierophant wrote:The tags did not show the image directly, so click on this link to view it : https://i.imgur.com/eLOLIDW.jpg

It shows perfectly on all of my PCs. You probably need to upgrade your browser or change its settings or something.

Great Hierophant

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 8:55 am

SilentsPlease wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:The tags did not show the image directly, so click on this link to view it : https://i.imgur.com/eLOLIDW.jpg

It shows perfectly on all of my PCs. You probably need to upgrade your browser or change its settings or something.

I needed to adjust my cookie settings to get it to show up.

bigshot

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 10:02 am

I screened this last night and it is about as good of a presentation of a silent film as I've ever seen. Great image quality, perfectly suited music. I noticed a little hitch in the restoration credits at the end, but the movie itself looked smooth. Great job overall. Happy to have this one.

Scott J

PostMon Oct 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Came across this while researching my Phantom project.

Fun to imagine being there in 1925 and seeing this! Added some color for further enjoyment. I make no claims of historical accuracy :mrgreen:

mwalls

PostMon Nov 06, 2017 11:34 am

I saw this live at the Weinberg Center in Frederick, Maryland on Saturday accompanied by the Mighty Wurlitzer. I had bought the Blu-Ray from Flicker but waited to see it live so I have not opened the disk yet. Very enjoyable experience, and I can imagine in that day when this film was new how fascinating the special effects were to the audiences. And the clarity was truly amazing.

From the thread above there must be some good extras so I will get around to them eventually.

Matthew

Ken Winokur

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 11:47 am

Flicker Alley has added Alloy Orchestra's score to the Blu Ray release of Lost World.
Ken Winokur
alloyorchestra.com
[email protected]

Rodney

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 12:33 pm

Ken Winokur wrote:Flicker Alley has added Alloy Orchestra's score to the Blu Ray release of Lost World.

Cool! Congratulations. I enjoyed your score quite a lot in San Francisco.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

linquist

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 3:54 pm

Glad to hear that. We heard their live performance for THE LOST WORLD at the Milwaukee Film Festival in early October. Interesting and intense (and lots of "native drums!") My quotes.

Stephen Terrill

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 9:20 am

Ken Winokur wrote:Flicker Alley has added Alloy Orchestra's score to the Blu Ray release of Lost World.

What exactly does this mean? The Lost World Blu Ray is already out, without the Alloy score, right? All the comments that I have read have only referred to the Israel score. Will the Alloy score be on a future printing then?

Mitch Farish

PostSun Nov 12, 2017 10:20 am

Will everyone who already purchased the blu-ray get a free upgrade?

R. Cat

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 4:35 am

Stephen Terrill wrote:

What exactly does this mean? The Lost World Blu Ray is already out, without the Alloy score, right? All the comments that I have read have only referred to the Israel score. Will the Alloy score be on a future printing then?

Curiouser & curiouser, and yes, this is indeed confusing. Are there two soundtracks available on this release? Was another score just added or was it included in the first issue? Did marketing accidentally overlook the Allow orchestra's contribution? Mine lists Robert Israel's score, which I presume is orchestral. I support including alternate scores to provide customers with a range of listening options, but it would not be kewl to switch out Robert Israel's orchestral score for a more modern alternate musical interpretation.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this. In any case, I'll make time to watch my Flicker Alley .copy this week.

Red Bartlett

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 11:42 am

I was wondering the same thing

monks19

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Let's hope so. Right now, nothing on the Flicker Alley website confirm this.

BrianG

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 11:41 am

If Flicker Alley adds the Alloy score to future purchases only, this will be the last dvd or blu-ray I ever pre-order from Flicker Alley. Lost World is one of my favorite silent films. The blu-ray picture quality is great, but I preferred the old Image Alloy score.

Roscoe

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 6:20 pm

Agreed -- it would seriously suck if Flicker Alley doesn't set up some kind of exchange program for those of us who purchased the initial release. The Alloy score rocked the Castro Theater this past June.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com

R. Cat

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 3:11 pm

BrianG wrote:If Flicker Alley adds the Alloy score to future purchases only, this will be the last dvd or blu-ray I ever pre-order from Flicker Alley. Lost World is one of my favorite silent films. The blu-ray picture quality is great, but I preferred the old Image Alloy score.

It's too early to cast aspersions on Flicker Alley. I'd prefer to remain neutral and supportive of everyone's personal tastes and interests here, being respectful of Flicker Alley's choices while not impugning any decisions made without knowing all the facts. And allow me to state up-front that Alloy Orchestra is an excellent ensemble and Ken Winokur's work on silent films deserves the highest praise.

In fairness though, most silent films tend to benefit form traditional musical accompaniment reflecting the period in which films were originally screened. This viewpoint comes from something I recall as a film student many years ago regarding the suspension of disbelief. Our minds recognize authenticity based on stimuli from historical connections; anything that interferes with that is a distraction. For instance, we'd find someone in a 1920 era film using a cell phone just as illogical as a film with 90's era rave kids at a grunge concert doing the Charleston.

In silent cinema, the movie is half the experience; the other half isn't "silent". While modern film music may only reflect a portion of the sound spectrum, the rest made up of many natural sounds, effects (noise) and dialogue. But in a silent feature ...even late silents with recorded soundtracks..., music is a significant portion of the filmgoing experience, providing emotional cues and dynamic support for intense scenes.

There are avante garde silent films ...such as the Soviet masterpiece Man With a Camera... which greatly benefit from a more abstract, modern effects driven score in ways that traditional scoring can never achieve, but films of this nature tend to be the exception rather than the rule. Note: One should also take into account differences in visceral impact between musicians performing before a live audience and recordings on a disc medium. IOW, take into account how effects driven scores compare to full orchestral recordings on home entertainment medium.

The simplest solution is not the easiest for distributors trying to eke out profits from a niche market, but it is the most obvious one, so bear with me on this:

We live in a amazing time when a remarkable amount of data can be stored on 5" media (DVD, BD, UHD-BD). There's room for all manner of commentaries, extras and most importantly, alternate soundtracks if desired. The question then becomes one of whether it's worth risking lost sales from an otherwise outstanding restoration ...lessening the impact of the laborious work involved... through failure to take into account the inclusion of music reflecting the wide range of tastes of the audience demographic?

Sorry 'bout the length (m'thinks too much caffeine again), but hopefully I've conveyed these thoughts reasonably and in an inoffensive manner.

Mitch Farish

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 3:30 pm

I haven't cast aspersions on anyone. I'm just curious about what the purchasers' options are. Apparently, future purchasers will be getting value that people who pre-ordered won't have. I love Robert Israel's score, but having another musical score to choose from would give us the ability to watch the film in a different musical context - like watching a different film. I think the folks who pre-ordered should get the same value as people who buy in the future. We didn't have a choice. One lone disc in the mail, without the case or booklet of course, would solve everything. Maybe that's what Flicker Alley plans to do. It would be logical and fair.

R. Cat

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Mitch Farish wrote:I haven't cast aspersions on anyone. I'm just curious about what the purchasers' options are. Apparently, future purchasers will be getting value that people who pre-ordered won't have. I love Robert Israel's score, but having another musical score to choose from would give us the ability to watch the film in a different musical context - like watching a different film. I think the folks who pre-ordered should get the same value as people who buy in the future. We didn't have a choice. One lone disc in the mail, without the case or booklet of course, would solve everything. Maybe that's what Flicker Alley plans to do. It would be logical and fair.

No one is casting aspersions, Mitch. We're all just sharing POV in respect to an issue which has produced confusion. So far, this hasn't been addressed with clarity by Flicker Alley. I suspect it will be soon.

Ken Winokur

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Rewind.

Sorry I am mistaken. Alloy's score is not on the new Lost World Restoration (from David Shepard and Flicker Alley).

Flicker Alley is also selling David Shepard's previous DVD restoration of Lost World, with Alloy's score. As a MOD (manufacture on demand).
Ken Winokur
alloyorchestra.com
[email protected]

wich2

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 7:32 pm

R. Cat wrote:most silent films tend to benefit form traditional musical accompaniment reflecting the period in which films were originally screened. This viewpoint comes from something I recall as a film student many years ago regarding the suspension of disbelief. Our minds recognize authenticity based on stimuli from historical connections; anything that interferes with that is a distraction.

You make your point well, R., and it's a valid one. But...

If "authenticity ... from historical connections" is the single standard - shouldn't the music reflect the period of the STORY? In other words:

A Hart Western should not be scored in 1920s style, but 1880s style. And METROPOLIS, also not 1920s, but - whenever in the Future it takes place.

-Craig
Last edited by wich2 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donald Binks

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 8:33 pm

I think that the message tried to get across is that the music used on silent pictures should not be glaringly out of it's time. By that I would mean it completely inappropriate to score for a rock band with electric guitars and an amplified drum kit. (Don't laugh - I had to endure "Piccadilly" screened thus). Or, to utilise music composed later than the early 1930's - there are exceptions of course. Another thing - is to try and play something that matches the scene - if on the screen a couple are dancing the Charleston - play Charleston music. Then there are the cues - like someone knocking on the door or the telephone ringing - which can have drum taps or a bell ringing. One would think that it would be relatively simple to work something out in compiling a score if music is one of your pursuits - but too often I think that someone wishes to make a name for themselves. (The musicians who write on this board and do scores are all wonderful by the way!) :D
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."
PreviousNext

Return to Silent News