THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

bigshot

Re: THE LOST WORLD (1925) - new restoration?

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 11:21 am

There are exceptions. Melies' Moon sucks with that awful modern score and so does Variete. But I actually like the Wm Burroughs narration and synth music on Haxxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages.

Glad that confusion on the Alloy score is cleared up. I doubted that they would add something for a repressing. After all, Flicker Alley never even bothered to correct the out of sync music on the Chaplin Mutuals.

R. Cat

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 5:19 am

bigshot wrote:There are exceptions. Melies' Moon sucks with that awful modern score and so does Variete. But I actually like the Wm Burroughs narration and synth music on Haxxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages.

Glad that confusion on the Alloy score is cleared up. I doubted that they would add something for a repressing. After all, Flicker Alley never even bothered to correct the out of sync music on the Chaplin Mutuals.

Excellent point about exceptions, and yeah, I intensely dislike the Melies' Moon score as well.

There are times when I wish a bit more common sense was applied to scoring silent releases. Since tastes vary, alternate soundtracks should be a more common bonus feature whenever production budgets stretch that far. If not, the distributor should go the extra mile in acquiring a score that fits the film and satisfies the vast majority of silent film fans.

When I saw Man With a Camera at The SFSFF some years ago, the Alloy Orchestra performed live accompaniment. Ken's avant garde score for that film is the only music I can imagine with that film. Each silent film has it's own special zeitgeist.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 6:48 am

Well, as the late David Shepard once pointed out, Japanese TV pays for most of these releases, so they get what they like. If you also get what you like, lucky you.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

wich2

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 11:47 am

For someone who had lived only one lifetime, David was a wise man!

R. Cat

PostFri Nov 17, 2017 3:55 pm

wich2 wrote:...David was a wise man!

Very true!

Mike Gebert wrote:Well, as the late David Shepard once pointed out, Japanese TV pays for most of these releases, so they get what they like. If you also get what you like, lucky you.

Good point, Mike. David Shepherd was a realist, but I'm not sure he was suggesting that silent film fans just resign themselves to their taste in music taking a back seat to TV broadcast revenue. Granted, we should all be grateful that the Japanese market for silent films is strong, but in restoring & releasing silent films for the home market traditional silent film music should never be dropped in favor of an unconventionally modern score if there's room for both on a disc format.

bigshot

PostSat Nov 18, 2017 9:27 am

I wonder if it was the Japanese who wanted the Chaplin Mutuals and Phantom of the Opera to be out of sync with the music?

WaverBoy

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 3:13 am

Mike Gebert wrote:Well, as the late David Shepard once pointed out, Japanese TV pays for most of these releases, so they get what they like. If you also get what you like, lucky you.

Well, that's cool and all, but we can still call a shitball music score out for what it is, thanks.

Nick_M

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 4:03 am

At least you can push the mute button. Here in Los Angeles, Cliff Retallick has taken over nearly every regular silent screening at all the theaters, and he's TERRIBLE.

Saint-Just

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 6:02 am

If you want notoriously bad scoring efforts, here's one that's at the bottom of my list:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=42&v=spzB-75gu7Y

A theatre in the middle of Michigan's lower peninsula used to have live silent film screenings and would always pick these guys to play the film - I had heard this 'score' already so knew to keep away but it's tough to have to forego a live silent film screening.
Last edited by silentfilm on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

R. Cat

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 12:27 pm

WaverBoy wrote:

Well, that's cool and all, but we can still call a shitball music score out for what it is, thanks.

Fortunately, Robert Israel's score for The Lost World score fits well. I wouldn't have minded a secondary soundtrack ...Alloy Orchestra, for instance... had Flicker Alley chosen to include it. Visually, it's a stunning release flaws & all, ...my wife poking fun at "claymation" dinosaurs notwithstanding.

Generally, this restoration is an excellent release with modest nitpicks (the judgment call of replaceing period dialogue cards). Perhaps some future restoration of The Lost World may improve on this ambitious effort through discovery of intact low generation 35mm footage to replace the cobbled together elements of varying quality in this presentation. Until that time though, this is a superb upgrade from earlier releases.
Last edited by R. Cat on Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nosferatu

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 1:13 pm

I guess that one will cost $70.

R. Cat

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Nosferatu wrote:I guess that one will cost $70.

At that price I'd hope for a pristine 35 mm low generation or camera negative source, complete, untinkered with, loaded with bonus features including new documentary material. I'm not averse to steep pricing, but I do expect significant value-added extras & PQ upgrade.

SilentsPlease

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Ken Winokur wrote:Rewind.

Sorry I am mistaken. Alloy's score is not on the new Lost World Restoration (from David Shepard and Flicker Alley).

Flicker Alley is also selling David Shepard's previous DVD restoration of Lost World, with Alloy's score. As a MOD (manufacture on demand).

The Alloy score was available long ago in the 2001 DVD edition, which can be had for $2-3 at Amazon. Those Flicker Alley MOD DVDs are sometimes not a good deal, as they offer no supplements and you can often buy the original discs cheaply from third parties.
Previous

Return to Silent News