Searching for Dolly and Dimples Blackburn

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

LampyMeier2007

Searching for Dolly and Dimples Blackburn

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 7:29 am

Today I came across a photo of the Blackburn sisters (Dolly and Dimples Blackburn) in Hollywood Filmograph Jan-Dec 1932. One of the sister (Dimples?) Im sure had an uncredited part in the Marx Brothers movie At the Opera. She was in the Scene when Harpo was playing surrounded by children on ship. Also I have spotted her in one of Our Gang Episode (dont know the Name now).
There is practically no info about them. Also searched Los Angeles Census. No match so far.
Sometimes credited as The Blackburn children.

Any Idea what became of them ?

Hamilton's Grandson

Re: Searching for Dolly and Dimples Blackburn

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 11:15 pm

Hi Lampy,

Newspapers.com has some info on both of them still performing song and dance routines in Asbury Park, New Jersey 8/31/35 at a country club event and another mentions them on 9/1/35 heading back to Hollywood with their manager, Murray Wiener, to perform in a motion picture (title in the Asbury Park Newspaper not mentioned). This newspaper had the two sisters from Bradley Beach , NJ. , so perhaps census records from this state may be helpful.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

LampyMeier2007

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 3:30 am

Thanks for the info, at same article from 1935 is said that they are daughters of Mrs A. J. Blackburn , La Reine Hotel, Bradley Beach, NJ and that they are 8 and 9 years old.

So their real Name must be Blackburn, Dolly and Dimples I assume are not their real names. I have searched Blackburn families around Monmouth County, NJ and found nothing that matches.

A possibility isthat the article was more Murray Wiener who was an resident of Asbury Park, New Jersey, who managed the sisters and that they were staying at the La Reine Hotel. (?)

Robert Moulton

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 11:09 am

Well here they are in June 1932 with ages 5 and 8 (vs their 8 and 9 in 1935). If they spent the summer in New Jersey and went to Hollywood in the fall then I'm not sure they could make it into Opera because that began shooting June 14 and was in previews in August. But as their stated ages show in various articles, dates given can't always be relied on.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 11:56 am

I agree the newspapers may not be accurate. A Night at the Opera was released in late 11/35 which makes sense if the traveled in 9/35 together to be in that film with Marx. I did not see either of them listed in the children's section of the players directory that I have copies of for 1936 or 1937. Maybe that was it for them after '35.?
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

LampyMeier2007

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 4:07 am

Here is the Ad/Picture from the article I saw : http://lantern.mediahist.org/catalog/hollywoodfilmogr12holl_0437

The sister I mean is the right one (In the AD/Picture from Hollywood Filmograph) and must be Dolly (8years old) and not Dimples as I believed before.

And here the Our Gang Episode, Its Our Gang Follies 1936 (1935) :

She is the one behind the Boy at 4:34 minutes.
And at this longer Version at 9:50 minutes :

And here Clips from Marx Brothers at Opera. She stand right in the middle.
This Clip with Chico :

This Clip with Harpo playing :

Also there is the possibility that the newspaper released the info that they leave for Hollywood a bit late and that the sisters were already in Hollywood by that time (in Sept 1935). So they leave maybe somewhere between June - August for Hollywood but the newspaper reported it in Sept 1935 ?
Last edited by silentfilm on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube links

Return to Silent News