Box of old movies recovered from Eaton's store in 1940s cont

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

silentfilm

Box of old movies recovered from Eaton's store in 1940s cont

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 7:58 pm

http://www.metronews.ca/entertainment/2017/04/05/box-of-old-movies-recovered-from-eaton-s-store-in-1940s-contains-lost-film.html

Box of old movies recovered from Eaton's store in 1940s contains 'lost' film

A scene from the silent film

University of Toronto's Media Commons

A scene from the silent film "Secrets of the Night" is shown in this undated handout photo.
By: Victoria Ahearn The Canadian Press Published on Wed Apr 05 2017

TORONTO — As a kid in Winnipeg, Richard Scott used to huddle in the basement with his family and watch 1920s-era silent films projected onto a bedsheet hung up with clothespins.

His dad, who worked at Eaton's, acquired the 16-millimetre films when the local department store discontinued its rental service and got rid of its stock in the late 1940s.

"We had piles of these movie tins," Scott recalled. "In total there were 15 feature movies, but none of them were the big-name actors of the time. They weren't Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton."

Still, one of them has turned out to be a gem.

"Secrets of the Night," which the Library of Congress in the United States had declared as one of the thousands of "lost" movies of the silent-film era, was among the titles in the Scott family collection.

"It's, dare I say, more than rare — it is unique," said Brock Silversides, director of the University of Toronto's Media Commons department, which received the film and many others from the Scott family.

Scott, who is retired, said the films had been kept in their original tins in an insulated box in his basement in Mississauga, Ont., for about 30 years.

When he started downsizing, he reached out to the university, which has since restored and digitized the copy of "Secrets of the Night," a 1924 murder-mystery comedy starring James Kirkwood, Madge Bellamy and ZaSu Pitts.

Last week, the school organized a special screening of the film with a pianist providing the soundtrack.

"We're the only public institution that actually has the full film," said Silversides, who noted only a partial copy of the film was known to be in a private collection.

Overall, the entire Scott collection comprises lower-budget, "good, solid films that give a wonderful idea of filmmaking during the silent era," said Silversides.

"They're extremely professional, they're good lighting, good editing, good acting, just good feature films."

Scott said he's "thrilled" that the films have found a new home and will be appreciated.

"They haven't been doing anything here for us," said Scott.

"It's better that the films be viewed and restored than have them just continue to deteriorate."

westegg

Re: Box of old movies recovered from Eaton's store in 1940s

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 5:47 am

Imagine (and hope) there are still more "lost" movies out there. Given the newly digitalized 1924 silent is possibly one of the original negative Universal silents destroyed during their ill-advised housecleaning, this is really good news.

Battra92

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 7:05 am

There's always a great deal of rejoicing when new lost films are found. I always come back to the same point and that's access. Hopefully this film can see some form of release (I'd Kickstart it!)

Danny Burk

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 7:35 am

Since it's 16mm, it sounds like a Universal Show-at-Home of which no prints were previously known to survive. It's still possible that THE CHINESE PARROT (Paul Leni, 1927) could turn up, since it appeared in the S-a-H catalogue.

Robert Moulton

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 10:21 am

This may be the closest we come to The Chinese Parrot.

Jim Roots

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 10:59 am

Robert Moulton wrote:This may be the closest we come to The Chinese Parrot.

That photo looks like it was a rejected cover shot for the "Homer and Jethro Joke Book".

And now I'll sit back and wait all of two seconds for someone to pop up and yell "I REMEMBER THEM!!!"

Jim

silentfilm

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 11:51 am

Actually, the film was and still is available from Grapevine Video, also presumably from a 16mm print. The article makes it sound like the Grapevine copy may not be complete (although it is listed at 75 minutes). Regardless, the film is now held by an archive and viewing copies may be available from two sources now.

WaverBoy

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 1:02 am

silentfilm wrote:Actually, the film was and still is available from Grapevine Video, also presumably from a 16mm print. The article makes it sound like the Grapevine copy may not be complete (although it is listed at 75 minutes). Regardless, the film is now held by an archive and viewing copies may be available from two sources now.

Apparently the previously known print is missing the opening credits and three scenes near the end. So, its most fortunate that a complete print has been found.

s.w.a.c.

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 6:04 am

Jim Roots wrote:That photo looks like it was a rejected cover shot for the "Homer and Jethro Joke Book".

And now I'll sit back and wait all of two seconds for someone to pop up and yell "I REMEMBER THEM!!!"

I've got seven or eight of their LPs, so it might as well be me....
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Jim Roots

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 9:36 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:That photo looks like it was a rejected cover shot for the "Homer and Jethro Joke Book".

"Cornfucious say!"

Jim

dalefullerfan2014

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 1:26 pm

I saw Jethro Burns in either the late seventies or early eighties at The Great American Music Hall in San Francisco. He was a serious mandolin player.....in other words the real deal.
Randy

Daniel Eagan

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 2:09 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:

One part's white, the other's tan
I got them down at Thom McAn

drednm

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:49 am

and the obvious question.... it said 14 films were found. And they are?????
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

maliejandra

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:04 am

Madge Bellamy! Woop woop!

MaryGH

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 8:15 am

Tom Tyler???
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

William D. Ferry

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:

"Cornfucious say!"

Jim

"Oh we're the boys from Camp Kookamunga
Our mothers sent us here for to study nature's ways
We learned to light fires by rubbin sticks together
But if we catch a girl then we'll set the woods ablaze"

I'll stop now before I start quoting "Pal-Yat-Chee"...
Yours for bigger and better silents,

William D. Ferry
(Blackhawk Customer #0191462)

s.w.a.c.

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 7:32 am

William D. Ferry wrote:I'll stop now before I start quoting "Pal-Yat-Chee"...

Will you get itchy & scratchy?

I had no idea Jethro Burns was a serious musician until I found a record by jazz violinist Joe Venuti at my local library back in the early '80s, and he was picking up a storm in the group of Nashville cats Joe was recording with. I think I made a cassette of the album, but only lawd knows where that is now.

And now I'll be singing "Don't let the stars get in your eyes if you have water on the brain..." for the rest of the day.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Daniel Eagan

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 10:18 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:
I had no idea Jethro Burns was a serious musician until I found a record by jazz violinist Joe Venuti at my local library back in the early '80s, and he was picking up a storm in the group of Nashville cats Joe was recording with. I think I made a cassette of the album, but only lawd knows where that is now.

And now I'll be singing "Don't let the stars get in your eyes if you have water on the brain..." for the rest of the day.

It's probably on YouTube. You should check out this "Mandolin Summit" special with Burns, Tiny Moore and Johnny Gimble: https://youtu.be/jEwnnXPtlMI

2 Reel

Lost silent film discovered: Secrets of the Night

PostTue Jul 04, 2017 3:33 pm

Somehow, I missed this April 2017 news item, and if you did, too, here it is:

A movie on the Library of Congress's list of “Lost U.S. Silent Feature Films” has recently been rediscovered thanks to a donation to U of T Libraries.

The black-and-white murder mystery-melodrama comedy from the early 1920s boasts a cast of well-known actors from the time, James Kirkwood Sr., Madge Bellamy, and ZaSu Pitts.

Titled Secrets of the Night, the film was discovered by Media Commons Assistant Media Archivist Christina Stewart as she was looking through a recent donation of silent films. The gift came from a family who had come into possession of the films when an Eaton's store in Winnipeg stopped offering silent film rentals in the 1940s.

Since then, the 64-minute film, which is the only known version of the movie in a public collection, has been restored and digital copies have been made. It was screened last week at U of T, before an audience of about 100, and accompanied by live pianist, Jordan Klapman, who is an expert on movie music from the silent era.

“It is extremely rare,” said Brock Silversides, director of Media Commons. “A huge chunk of silent films from the silent film era have been lost to history. At the beginning of the sound era, people got rid of them in large numbers. Studios didn't see the value in keeping them so the fact that we received a batch of silent films is huge in and of itself.”

There is a 16mm print of the film in a private collection, which is available digitally, but it does not contain the original opening credits and is missing three scenes from the ending, Stewart said. At the time, many studios like Universal lost a lot of the silent catalogue in vault fires.

“So to come by a Universal title makes this unique,” Silversides said.

Blaché was a well known director at the time. His then-wife Alice Guy-Blaché, who also worked on the film, was one of the pioneering film directors at the time. Like most black-and-white films, it is actually tinted amber colour for daytime and indoor scenes, and blue for night scenes.

The film and 14 others were donated by Richard and Wayne Scott. Most of the films were produced by Universal Studios.

Richard Scott was part of the screening last week, participating in a Q & A, following the movie.

“Back in the 1940s, my father worked for Eaton's in Winnipeg,” Richard Scott said. “Eaton's offered every product you can imagine, including a film library for people who wanted to rent out films. Eaton's decided to do away with the service and offered the films to employees to purchase, and that's what my father did. The 16 mm copies of what are now very rare films gave rise to the interest in the collection.

“It's been in the family for 70-odd years.”

Source:
https://www.utoronto.ca/news/lost-silen ... -libraries" target="_blank
They call me "Dangerous Dal"

Jim Roots

Re: Lost silent film discovered: Secrets of the Night

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 5:45 am

Might be worth explaining that "U of T" refers to University of Toronto (my alma mater).

The Eaton's store in Winnipeg is now the home of the Winnipeg Jets hockey team. (Turn left at the Ladies' Hosiery, then right at the Home Furnishings department.) Next week I'll be staying at the hotel directly across the street from it for a conference. The MTS Centre, as the site is now called, hosts one of the best Italian restaurants in a city of great restaurants and several fantastic beers (Fort Garry Dark, Deliriums Tremens, etc.)

Jim

silentfilm

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 11:22 am

This was already discussed on Nitrateville, so I have merged the two threads.

missdupont

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 2:44 pm

U of T can refer to University of Tennessee as well as University of Texas.

wich2

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Donald Binks

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 6:53 pm

“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

Changsham

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 8:55 pm

University of Trump!

Zool

PostWed Jul 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Might be worth explaining that "U of T" refers to University of Toronto (my alma mater).

The Eaton's store in Winnipeg is now the home of the Winnipeg Jets hockey team. (Turn left at the Ladies' Hosiery, then right at the Home Furnishings department.) Next week I'll be staying at the hotel directly across the street from it for a conference. The MTS Centre, as the site is now called, hosts one of the best Italian restaurants in a city of great restaurants and several fantastic beers (Fort Garry Dark, Deliriums Tremens, etc.)

Jim

How does it hold up compared to the restaurants in "Little Italy?"
"Are we ourselves, and do we really know?"

George O'Brien.net

Jim Roots

PostThu Jul 13, 2017 9:18 pm

Zool wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:Might be worth explaining that "U of T" refers to University of Toronto (my alma mater).

Jim

I went there last night. Alas! It has been replaced by a Boston Pizza!!!!

Jim

Zool

PostFri Jul 14, 2017 3:44 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Zool wrote:

Jim

I went there last night. Alas! It has been replaced by a Boston Pizza!!!!

Jim

Oh, of course!

Well, could have been worse. It could have been replaced by a Tim's.
"Are we ourselves, and do we really know?"

George O'Brien.net

Return to Silent News