Mary Pickford 125th Birthday Google Doodle

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Brooksie

Mary Pickford 125th Birthday Google Doodle

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 10:28 pm

OK, the picture doesn't look much like her, but it's nice that Google have commemorated Mary Pickford's 125th birthday with a Google Doodle, which went live at midnight EST. It's available to look at here: https://www.google.com/doodles/mary-pickfords-125th-birthday.

Hamilton's Grandson

Re: Mary Pickford 125th Birthday Google Doodle

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 10:44 pm

Hard to believe that she was born that long ago. Her greatest achievement after her film career ended (in my opinion) was donating her nitrate film stock to LOC some 60 years ago. Just imagine how much of her work would have disintegrated and would be lost if that did not happen. She would probably be very content to see the LOC's theatre bearing her name today. Thanks again Gladys Smith (aka Mary Pickford) and Happy Birthday!
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

MaryGH

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 7:33 am

A very cool way to commemorate Mary Pickford - Happy Birthday
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

AbZeroNow

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 7:36 am

Yup, good of Google to commemorate Mary Pickford this way. Might as well try to finish my own watching of "Rosita" today.

sepiatone

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Brooksie wrote:OK, the picture doesn't look much like her, but it's nice that Google have commemorated Mary Pickford's 125th birthday with a Google Doodle, which went live at midnight EST. It's available to look at here: https://www.google.com/doodles/mary-pickfords-125th-birthday.

It's nice they remembered Mary's 125th. It would've been nicer if they bothered to look at or thumb through a silent film book or even checked the web out to get an idea of what she looked like. Imagine someone at Google didn't know who Mary was (Buddy Rogers must be turning in his grave that someone didn't know who his wife was. :x ) The image is more of Mary's box office rival Marguerite Clark, dark hair and all, who always seemed to be photographed with cats from film to film.

missdupont

PostSat Apr 08, 2017 10:31 pm

It's the alternative facts version.

BankofAmericasSweetheart

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 7:09 am

When I saw the google doodle, I didn't even recognize her at first though I thought she beared a slight resemblance to Pickford so I checked on twitter and sure enough they were honoring her. They had a really good Chaplin one a few years back that had animation stuff going on but oh wells, at least it got Pickford trending on social media for a second. Just reminds me, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on the restoration of Rosita(1923) at some point this year. :D
"It would have been more logical if silent pictures had grown out of the talkies instead of the other way around." - MP

Harlowgold

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Not the greatest artwork of Mary (indeed scarcely resembles her) but a tribute is a tribute and is appreciated by her fans, or at least me.

Return to Silent News