The General 4K Original Camera Negative

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

wich2

Re: The General 4K Original Camera Negative

PostSat May 06, 2017 3:45 pm

R. Cat wrote:If Keaton's release prints were originally displayed in straightforward B&W

Do we know whether of no about that?

-Craig

CoffeeDan

PostSun May 07, 2017 6:54 am

luciano wrote:Apparently Sherlock Jr. is in the works:

Note that at approximately 4:21 in this video, Tim Lanza is watching a tinted print of THE GENERAL. Is this the version they're working on? Tim posts here from time to time -- I wonder if he could shed some light on this issue . . .

R. Cat

PostSun May 07, 2017 10:39 am

wich2 wrote:
R. Cat wrote:If Keaton's release prints were originally displayed in straightforward B&W

Do we know whether of no about that?

-Craig

Good question. From my perspective, the best case scenario would be remaining true to Keaton's vision dependent upon how closely that vision can be realized through contemporary processing. If The General was tinted in part or whole in it's original run, then incorporating tints into the home video release is best. OTOH, if guessing is involved or recreating the sepia "look" can only be accomplished artificially, then straight B&W from the camera negative would probably be the better option.

luciano

PostMon May 08, 2017 4:38 am

Good question. From my perspective, the best case scenario would be remaining true to Keaton's vision dependent upon how closely that vision can be realized through contemporary processing. If The General was tinted in part or whole in it's original run, then incorporating tints into the home video release is best. OTOH, if guessing is involved or recreating the sepia "look" can only be accomplished artificially, then straight B&W from the camera negative would probably be the better option.

As I recall some original prints were sepia with blue in night time shots, and some were also straight B&W. As for Keaton’s preference I don’t think it’s known. But think about it. It's known that he said, "Make it so real it hurts." A lot of Civil War plates had a very slight sepia hue to them. That's probably what Keaton was after. Personally I think the sepia and blue looks cool, but not the way it was done in the previous version. I’ll probably rip the Cohen blu-ray and add some amberish sepia and teal tints to it.
Previous

Return to Silent News