Marion Davies in TCM's Summer Under the Stars!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

drednm

Marion Davies in TCM's Summer Under the Stars!

PostFri May 05, 2017 11:50 am

BIG NEWS! Marion Davies is scheduled on August 29 for a TCM Summer Under the Stars salute which will premiere Ben Model's restored WHEN KNIGHTHOOD WAS IN FLOWER! Also in the lineup are repeats of my projects ENCHANTMENT and THE BRIDE'S PLAY as well as SHOW PEOPLE and THE RED MILL and several talkies.

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

AbZeroNow

Re: Marion Davies in TCM's Summer Under the Stars!

PostFri May 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Very nice. Hopefully Beauty's Worth will also see a TCM premiere in the future.

(Reminds self to pre-order Knighthood in Flower one of these days)

Hamilton's Grandson

PostFri May 05, 2017 3:26 pm

Great to see TCM's recognition of Davies and all of the hardwork that you all have put into bringing her work to the public eye.

drednm

PostFri May 05, 2017 3:35 pm

AbZeroNow wrote:Very nice. Hopefully Beauty's Worth will also see a TCM premiere in the future.

(Reminds self to pre-order Knighthood in Flower one of these days)

I've pitched the new Beauty's Worth and have received no response.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

boblipton

PostFri May 05, 2017 4:16 pm

No, Ben's version will premiere in my apartment when I slip the DVD in.

Bob
Film is not the art of scholars, but of illiterates.

-- Werner Herzog

drednm

PostFri May 05, 2017 5:05 pm

boblipton wrote:No, Ben's version will premiere in my apartment when I slip the DVD in.

Bob

Same here, Bob.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

smokey15

PostFri May 05, 2017 10:14 pm

Why hasn't TCM ever shown Marion Davies in "It's A Wise Child"? It's an MGM film and I'm sure it would be in the Turner library. It's not a lost film either.

Danny Burk

PostFri May 05, 2017 10:38 pm

smokey15 wrote:Why hasn't TCM ever shown Marion Davies in "It's A Wise Child"? It's an MGM film and I'm sure it would be in the Turner library. It's not a lost film either.

It's had a long-standing rights problem. Hopefully it will be resolved one of these days...

TheyHadFaces

PostThu May 18, 2017 11:13 pm

Ok, how about they show The Fair Co-ed instead of Show People for the 20th time?

drednm

PostFri May 19, 2017 5:18 am

TheyHadFaces wrote:Ok, how about they show The Fair Co-ed instead of Show People for the 20th time?

One of the many Marion Davies MGM silents not restored, unscored, etc.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Agnes

PostSun May 21, 2017 2:06 pm

Danny Burk wrote:
smokey15 wrote:Why hasn't TCM ever shown Marion Davies in "It's A Wise Child"? It's an MGM film and I'm sure it would be in the Turner library. It's not a lost film either.

It's had a long-standing rights problem. Hopefully it will be resolved one of these days...

Unless Sonny Bono manages to resurrect, or Disney gets another Congressional mouthpiece, rights issues should resolve as all classic-era silents will go PD within the next decade.
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Agnes

PostSun May 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Also, so looking forward to seeing this film.
Thanks so much Ed , Been,Jack, & all involved with bringing thiese films back to us. Hopefully, the coming age-old/ roll-out of silents by year will make your job easier (not needing to spend time&/or $ to research status as each silent year slips clearly &cleanly out of copyright).

Are you going to have discs of any if these at any summer film festivals?. I don't have PayPal, so ordering is not possible, but I do go to festivals.
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

mwalls

PostSun May 21, 2017 2:16 pm

Agnes wrote:
Danny Burk wrote:

Unless Sonny Bono manages to resurrect, or Disney gets another Congressional mouthpiece, rights issues should resolve as all classic-era silents will go PD within the next decade.

Could someone help me understand what kind of a landscape that will be. In other words, is that a good thing or a bad thing? I am thinking in terms of the recent licensing by Kino from Paramount. If some/all of the films were public domain, would those films have been released by Kino in a quality release? If a film is public domain, might some of the studios still hold the best elements? Would they still be interesting in people using their material if it is public domain? And in terms of elements being held by archives, such as the case of Forbidden Paradise being restored by MoMA, how would that work? Would that result in a Kino or Flicker acquiring rights to the restored print and releasing it? And will those scenarios see more quality releases or slow such releases than is currently the case?

Matthew

oldposterho

PostSun May 21, 2017 2:32 pm

It could be the golden age of kickstarter film restorations. Finding that sweet spot where just the right number of enthusiasts get behind a film that might otherwise sit on the shelf because a traditional wide release wouldn't have a prayer. I think it will depend a lot on the kindness of strangers to shepherd a project from start to finish with minuscule (financial) rewards, but we might actually see films that would otherwise sit on a shelf.

Or we might just have films sitting on a shelf (or worse if owners no longer want to pay for questionable 'assets').

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun May 21, 2017 2:41 pm

Could someone help me understand what kind of a landscape that will be. In other words, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Yes.

There will be new opportunities. There will be companies that slam the vault door shut. There will be everything in between.

Support what you like and hope there will be more of it.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

BenModel

PostSun May 21, 2017 5:14 pm

Agnes wrote:Are you going to have discs of any if these at any summer film festivals?. I don't have PayPal, so ordering is not possible, but I do go to festivals.

Sorry I missed this thread until now...it started while I was at the Nitrate Picture Show, and I'm still playing catch-up on many fronts.

Agnes, there is no street date set, but what I am aiming for currently is an early fall release for KNIGHTHOOD as well as for BRIDE'S PLAY and BEAUTY'S WORTH. The only summer festival I attend is Mostly Lost and I sincerely doubt any of these will be ready in time for that. All 3 will be available on Amazon, and none are eligible for pre-order.

If you're on my email list, you will get news and updates on all my releases before I post about them here and on social media, and also usually I provide discount codes for subscribers.

Thanks.

Ben
Sign up for my emails at silentfilmmusic.com and get an exclusive link to watch a rare comedy short
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter and on Instagram
Silent Film Music Podcast available on iTunes

Return to Silent News