Book Published on Billy Dooley

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

KevinScottCollier

Book Published on Billy Dooley

PostFri May 05, 2017 6:30 pm

A book I wrote on silent film comedian Billy Dooley has just been published. I was a fan of this guy as a kid because my dad had some of his movies on 8mm we could show on our home projector. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1546500308/re ... tt+collier" target="_blank" target="_blank

Hamilton's Grandson

Re: Book Published on Billy Dooley

PostFri May 05, 2017 6:39 pm

What was a good source(s) that you used for this book when researching his vaudeville career?
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com

KevinScottCollier

PostFri May 05, 2017 9:56 pm

Hamilton,
Many different entertainment magazines from circa 1907 until Dooley's death in 1938, and Library of congress newspapers, LanternMediaHistory online, Family Search and ancestry sites. Other sources were film collectors, etc. There was really nothing to be found in other books on silent films out there about Dooley, which is kind of why I decided to put something out there, plus my dad really liked Billy.
- Kevin

Hamilton's Grandson

PostSat May 06, 2017 8:43 am

Kevin,

Glad to hear you were able to find the material you needed. I have used some of the references you mentioned. Confusing part is when my grandfather appeared in his first few films with small parts (1922 and 1923) , some of the newspaper references refer to him as a former "vaudeville star". To date I have found not one mention of him in vaudeville and census did not even have him in CA until late 1920.

Thanks,
Dana

KevinScottCollier

PostTue May 30, 2017 5:32 pm

Who was your grandfather?
- Kevin

Hamilton's Grandson

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 7:42 pm

HI Kevin,

Grandfather was Mark Lafayette Hamilton (see imdb.com under Mark Hamilton (I) for his credits). Supposedly he was in vaudeville prior to when his 1921 or 1922. Hollywood credits began, but have not been able to find anything from vaudeville on him.

I know census said he was married on his birthday on December 9th,1920 and he had earlier than that been in a VA hospital recovering from WWI injuries (France 1918) as late as 1919 and early 1920 (New Haven CT VA treated him for :trench mouth, fractured ribs, and respiratory condition from brief mustard gas exposure?"; according to what he told my mom).

Regards,
Dana

KevinScottCollier

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Mark Hamilton was born in Washington, DC on Dec. 8, 1889, according to what I have. I'll snoop around for any vaudeville connections.

Hamilton's Grandson

PostSat Jun 03, 2017 11:01 pm

Hi Kevin,

Actually, he was born on December 9, 1889 which is the same day of the month as Douglas Fairbanks, so if you do a search for his name on Lantern after 1930, there is a section on birthday wishes and one publication (Film Daily) will keep wishing the list of actors a Happy Birthday every December 9th for most of the 1930's even though some were not in Hollywood in the 30's. He was married to his first wife on 12/9/1920 on his birthday. She was not my grandmother, as he married my grandmother in 1934 in WA state where he settled after Hollywood.

If you look at the imdb credit for "Oh! What a Day" 1923 there is an uploaded article which introduces the readers to the Gump family, you will see that under photos this article posting that I uploaded mentions that he was discovered for the role as "Uncle Bim" after a successful career in vaudeville. Where the vaudeville experience occurred is a mystery so far.

Thanks!

Return to Silent News