MR. SUICIDE: HENRY "PATHE" LEHRMAN Now Available

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Pathe Lehrman

MR. SUICIDE: HENRY "PATHE" LEHRMAN Now Available

PostFri May 12, 2017 2:46 pm

MR. SUICIDE: HENRY “PATHÉ” LEHRMAN AND THE BIRTH OF SILENT COMEDY, by Thomas Reeder, is now available for purchase. This meticulously researched and unbiased study covers Lehrman’s life, career, and his studios in detail, accompanied by an exhaustive 548 entry filmography. Noted film historians Sam Gill and Steve Massa have provided the Foreword and Introduction, respectively. 770 pages, with 339 rare images illustrating the text; soft- or hard-cover editions available through Amazon.com and at the publisher’s site, BearManorMedia.com. Anyone interested in a signed copy can contact the author (that's me) directly, through this site or by email at [email protected]" target="_blank.

Here’s more about Lehrman and the book:

For an immigrant newly arrived in the U.S. in 1906, Henry Lehrman’s rise in the fledgling film industry was, in a word, meteoric. By 1914 he had worked at New York’s Biograph Studios, served as Mack Sennett’s right-hand man at Keystone, co-owned the Sterling Comedy Company with lead comedian Ford Sterling, and ushered in his own L-Ko – Lehrman-Knock Out – Comedies for Universal. By 1916 he had advanced to Fox where he organized the more prestigious Sunshine Comedies, and by 1919 had acquired full independence with his own Henry Lehrman Comedies.

At Keystone, where he directed the likes of Chaplin, Sterling, Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle, and numerous others, Lehrman was instrumental in fashioning the Keystone style. At L-Ko, Lehrman oversaw the company, served as idea man, director, and occasional actor, gaining fame for his anarchic storylines and fast-paced, break-neck comedies that rarely let up for air. The Sunshine comedies saw a growth and comparative maturity, with their longer schedules and more lavish budgets. The eventual formation of his own Henry Lehrman Comedies promised a dream come true, the pinnacle of success with a company truly all his own. “I have a scheme at present which promises so fairly that I am afraid to queer it by telling you what it is,” said Lehrman in an interview five years earlier. “Next time you come to see me you may find me either in a palace or in the poor house.” Unfortunately for Lehrman, the latter came true.

Lehrman has been unfairly demonized over the years, primarily the result of a handful of self-serving autobiographies by the likes of Sennett, Chaplin, and Fred Balshofer. Occasionally referred to by co-workers as “Suicide” Lehrman due to his reputation for putting actors and stuntmen at risk, the reality was that risk-taking in those early days was comparatively common throughout the industry. Lehrman’s inability to manage money sealed the fate of his long sought after independence, leading to a string of bankruptcies that plagued him for the rest of his life. And when Lehrman received word that his good friend Arbuckle was responsible for the death of Virginia Rappe, Lehrman’s lover, his heartfelt but ill-chosen tirade against Arbuckle and the industry as a whole helped to seal his fate.

MR. SUICIDE: HENRY “PATHÉ” LEHRMAN AND THE BIRTH OF SILENT COMEDY takes an impartial and exhaustive look at the life and career of this misunderstood comedy genius. Additionally, the histories of the Sterling and L-Ko studios are covered in full, up until each was shuttered. The extensive and detailed filmography covers every known film that Lehrman was involved with from his beginnings at Biograph up until his death in 1946 while he was employed by 20th Century-Fox. In addition to each film’s cast and credits, a synopsis and contemporary reviews are included, an aid to future researchers in their quest to identify “orphan” films.

In his Introduction to the book, noted film historian Steve Massa calls it “an examination, thorough and unbiased, that establishes Lehrman’s rightful place in film history. Silent comedy scholars and fans, in addition to anyone interested in Hollywood lore, owe a debt of gratitude to Tom for his dogged determination and accurate eye in bringing light to this dark and neglected corner of movie history.”

Rob Farr

Re: MR. SUICIDE: HENRY "PATHE" LEHRMAN Now Available

PostFri May 12, 2017 3:13 pm

Ordered. And if you order from Bear Manor before midnight tonight (Friday May 12) you will get 33% off.
Rob Farr
"If it's not comedy, I fall asleep." - Harpo Marx
www.slapsticon.org

2 Reel

PostSat May 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Loved it!
They call me "Dangerous Dal"

JFK

SUICIDE HARDBOUND SALE!!! HENRY "PATHE" LEHRMAN NOW 20% OFF

PostTue May 23, 2017 11:35 pm

THE HARDBOUND EDITION IS
CURRENTLY ON SALE AT AMAZON
20% OFF PLUS FREE USA SHIPPING ON ELIGIBLE ORDERS
CLICK HERE
Last edited by JFK on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Roots

Re: SUICIDE HARDBOUND SALE!!! HENRY "PATHE" LEHRMAN NOW 20%

PostFri May 26, 2017 12:28 pm

JFK wrote:Image
THE HARDBOUND EDITION IS
CURRENTLY ON SALE AT AMAZON
20% OFF PLUS FREE USA SHIPPING ON ELIGIBLE ORDERS
CLICK HERE

With the exchange rate, delivery, taxes, etc. it still comes to about $60 Canadian, but that's probably as inexpensive as it will ever get for a new edition, so I ordered it.

Besides, I want to find out just how on earth anyone could fill 770 pages with stuff about Lehrman!

Jim
(supporting fellow silent-comedy writers!)

Pathe Lehrman

PostWed May 31, 2017 5:44 am

Jim: Your fellow silent comedy writer thanks you!

International postage can provide quite a sting: I mailed a copy of the book to a contributor over in England, and was shocked by the price tag. Media mail here in the U.S. is a bargain, but cross borders and look out!

Thanks again for the purchase, and I hope you enjoy the contents therein.

Tom Reeder

Pathe Lehrman

PostSat Jun 10, 2017 11:45 am

Richard M. Roberts has given the book a nice review over at SilentComedyMafia, in case anyone here is interested in his opinion.

http://www.silentcomedymafia.com/viewto ... f=5&t=1921" target="_blank

Tom Reeder

Frederica

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 11:39 am

I received my copy last night; even for this slapstick-impaired cinephile, it is a stunner. Tom put in years of patient work on this project and it shows. The biography is solid, detailed, and objective, the filmography impressive. There are abundant photos of mustachioed comedians scattered throughout the text, with enough study and care I may finally be able to distinguish between some of them.

More importantly, this is revisionist history at its finest. Lehrman has been considered a minor character in film history, his accomplishments subsumed by others, remembered mainly as a villainous side-note to the Arbuckle scandal. This book re-establishes Lehrman as what he was, a real live human being and an important early film pioneer; he may be forgotten outside a select group of aficionados, but his influence on American film comedy was profound.

I rate Mr. Suicide: Henry "Pathe" Lehrman two thumbs up, or in more modern parlance 13/10, good addition to film history shelves, would purchase.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp"

Pathe Lehrman

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Thank you, Frederica!

Agnes

PostFri Jun 16, 2017 4:03 pm

Just got my copy.
Very excited!
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

Jim Roots

PostSat Jun 17, 2017 11:42 am

Agnes wrote:Just got my copy.
Very excited!

Me too. I'm stunned by the size of it. I said I was going to get it if only to see how anyone could possibly fill 767 pages with stuff about Lehrman, and Tom has certainly done so. It ain't blank pages and padding.

Jim

Pathe Lehrman

PostSat Jun 24, 2017 6:55 am

Columnist Mark Voger interviewed me for an article about Henry Lehrman's life and career, and gave my book MR. SUICIDE: HENRY "PATHE" LEHRMAN AND THE BIRTH OF SILENT COMEDY a plug while he was at it. This appeared in several of the STAR LEDGER family of newspapers, and you can read it here at NJ.com:

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.s ... aplin.html" target="_blank

Tom Reeder

Return to Silent News