AMPAS: A Celebration of the David Shepard Film Collection

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

David Pierce

AMPAS: A Celebration of the David Shepard Film Collection

PostSun May 14, 2017 9:10 am

http://www.oscars.org/events/celebratio ... collection" target="_blank

May 30 at 7:30 pm

Linwood Dunn Theatre
Pickford Center, 1313 Vine Street, Hollywood, CA 90028

In celebration of David Shepard’s lifetime of film preservation, the Academy is pleased to offer a special screening of highlights from silent and primitive films in the David Shepard Collection, which was donated to the Academy Film Archive. Film historian and preservationist Serge Bromberg will screen several of the silent gems saved through Shepard’s stewardship, which will be accompanied by Joe Rinaudo on the Academy’s newly restored 1915 Fotoplayer. Some of the films will be presented on a hand-cranked 1909 Powers projector. Commentary and further insights will be offered by writer-director Alexander Payne and Serge Bromberg.

drednm

Re: AMPAS: A Celebration of the David Shepard Film Collectio

PostSun May 14, 2017 9:35 am

David Pierce wrote:http://www.oscars.org/events/celebration-david-shepard-film-collection" target="_blank" target="_blank

May 30 at 7:30 pm

Linwood Dunn Theatre
Pickford Center, 1313 Vine Street, Hollywood, CA 90028

In celebration of David Shepard’s lifetime of film preservation, the Academy is pleased to offer a special screening of highlights from silent and primitive films in the David Shepard Collection, which was donated to the Academy Film Archive. Film historian and preservationist Serge Bromberg will screen several of the silent gems saved through Shepard’s stewardship, which will be accompanied by Joe Rinaudo on the Academy’s newly restored 1915 Fotoplayer. Some of the films will be presented on a hand-cranked 1909 Powers projector. Commentary and further insights will be offered by writer-director Alexander Payne and Serge Bromberg.

Nice.....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
http://www.amazon.com/Edward-Lorusso/e/ ... 203&sr=8-1

wich2

PostSun May 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Very fitting.

Thanks again, David.

-Craig

Agnes

PostMon May 15, 2017 11:10 am

Oh, do I wish I was in California at the end of the month.
I am on the other side of the country.
Agnes McFadden

I know it's good - I wrote it myself!

luciano

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 3:02 am

The show was really wonderful, and was a true celebration of David’s life. For those who weren’t there, the highlight was seeing 16mm color footage of David as a child, as he played with a film camera. Apparently the footage was saved in the nick of time by Serge Bromberg. I've uploaded footage of Joe Rinaudo treating the audience to the newly restored American Fotoplayer. The Fotoplayer was used to narrate many of David Shepard’s DVD releases, and was used at this event to narrate films from David’s Collection. Hope you all enjoy.

Last edited by silentfilm on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedd YouTube link

JonChaneyFan

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Correction...the home movie footage of David Shepard came from me. I provided this to Serge for the AMPAS and SFSFF programs. This comes from about a 5-min film I found in a can marked "David 1942-43" that was in David's collection. Library of Congress scanned it for me. If I get the OK of the family, I plan to put the entire thing on youtube.

Jon Mirsalis

Javier

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 3:33 pm

JonChaneyFan wrote:Correction...the home movie footage of David Shepard came from me. I provided this to Serge for the AMPAS and SFSFF programs. This comes from about a 5-min film I found in a can marked "David 1942-43" that was in David's collection. Library of Congress scanned it for me. If I get the OK of the family, I plan to put the entire thing on youtube.

Jon Mirsalis

Thanks for doing this. Please let us know when it will be uploaded, some of us don't have the means to travel to film events or to honour the ones who make all those wonderful silent films breathe a new life.
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Rick Lanham

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 4:32 pm

Great job, Jon!

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

luciano

PostThu Jun 15, 2017 5:59 pm

JonChaneyFan wrote:Correction...the home movie footage of David Shepard came from me. I provided this to Serge for the AMPAS and SFSFF programs. This comes from about a 5-min film I found in a can marked "David 1942-43" that was in David's collection. Library of Congress scanned it for me. If I get the OK of the family, I plan to put the entire thing on youtube.

Jon Mirsalis

Hope so, I'd love to see that footage again. Thanks for your work John.

Return to Silent News