Youtv to show the silent version of "Mr. Robinson Crusoe"

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Little Caesar

Youtv to show the silent version of "Mr. Robinson Crusoe"

PostSun May 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Youtv is a cable channel that has an eclectic and frankly incoherent collection of programs. They do show some vintage films mostly late at night, and those films tend to be public domain fare in very battered prints. However, occasionally they do show what may called a gem in the rough, and tomorrow night (or early Tuesday morning depending upon where you are) Douglas Fairbanks' "Mr. Robinson Crusoe" is scheduled to air. In the past, this channel has shown the silent version of the movie so I suspect that's what will be shown tomorrow. If you haven't had a chance to see this version of the movie (which in my opinion works better than the standard talkie version) you may want to take advantage of this opportunity. Other silents I've seen on this channel include "The Garden of Eden" (1928), "Free to Love" (1925), and the 1930 reissue version of "The Birth of a Nation." Also of note is that this channel has shown the "Mad Wednesday" recut of "The Sin of Harold Diddlebock."
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

maliejandra

Re: Youtv to show the silent version of "Mr. Robinson Crusoe

PostMon May 15, 2017 6:46 am

I saw this screened at Cinevent a few years ago and I thought it was amusing. Definitely one of the better Fairbanks films I've seen.

Zool

PostMon May 15, 2017 10:15 am

Little Caesar wrote:Youtv is a cable channel that has an eclectic and frankly incoherent collection of programs. They do show some vintage films mostly late at night, and those films tend to be public domain fare in very battered prints. However, occasionally they do show what may called a gem in the rough, and tomorrow night (or early Tuesday morning depending upon where you are) Douglas Fairbanks' "Mr. Robinson Crusoe" is scheduled to air. In the past, this channel has shown the silent version of the movie so I suspect that's what will be shown tomorrow. If you haven't had a chance to see this version of the movie (which in my opinion works better than the standard talkie version) you may want to take advantage of this opportunity. Other silents I've seen on this channel include "The Garden of Eden" (1928), "Free to Love" (1925), and the 1930 reissue version of "The Birth of a Nation." Also of note is that this channel has shown the "Mad Wednesday" recut of "The Sin of Harold Diddlebock."

Great description.
:lol:

I forgot all about this channel. Thanks for the reminder.
Larry Parker got me 2.1 million.

George O'Brien.net

jcp7701

PostTue May 16, 2017 10:27 am

This film was my introduction to Douglas Fairbanks, Sr.--age 11 via some cheapo VHS copy. I had no understanding as to why it was a "silent" and made in 1932, and didn't even know about the talking version until several years later.

For as much as this film is criticized for bare-bones production values (although that Alfred Newman score couldn't have been cheap), it has a nice escapist vibe, works well as a silent, and its forty-nine year-old lead looks good and the athleticism is there. That dive off the boat near the beginning, too! Shame that Doug wasn't about ten years younger when talkies arrived.

Both versions are about seventy minutes in length, but I've seen 75-76 as the original run-time. I wonder what, if anything, was cut.

Return to Silent News