A Place to Rent Silents?

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Jerfilm

A Place to Rent Silents?

PostTue May 16, 2017 10:07 am

Does anyone know a place other than ClassicFlix or whatever they're now calling themselves that rents silents? I had very good luck with them until about 6 months ago. I had a queue of about 18 films and did not receive anything from them for months so I gave up finally.

Jerry

Jerfilm

Re: A Place to Rent Silents?

PostWed May 24, 2017 9:15 am

Apparently from the silence, this is a fruitless search. So sad.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostWed May 24, 2017 10:05 am

Yeah, I think rental of physical media is pretty dead. The best modern equivalent is probably Amazon streaming; there are lots of titles there.

I occasionally will buy things and then flip them on Amazon or Ebay, which can result in a net rental-level price (and occasionally selling for a higher collector price). Honestly, though, I mainly prefer to just buy and think of it as a contribution to the further health and productivity of a Kino, Flicker Alley, etc.
“Sentimentality is when it doesn't come off—when it does, you get a true expression of life's sorrows.” —Alain-Fournier

silentfilm

PostWed May 24, 2017 11:08 am

You can always try your local library. They will probably have some of the big titles from the silent canon.

Since video stores are mostly gone, trying to rent a BluRay or DVD is a thing of the past.

Roseha

PostWed May 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Fandor has a lot of silent films to stream, and they are about $10 a month.
- Rosemary

telical

PostSat May 27, 2017 11:58 am

Scarecrow Video in Seattle has about five to eight hundred silents, by a rough estimate. They recently reformed as a non-profit. They often require a hold on bank funds to rent rare videos. They may be looking for the extra income so you might write them a letter telling them of your situation and how you would allow a hold on the general price of the item. Or, since they would have CC info anyway, they would have the ability to deduct missing material.

telical

PostTue May 30, 2017 12:14 am

I was just there yesterday and talked to them about this, and they said that they could not make it work out for them financially.

Penfold

PostTue May 30, 2017 2:51 am

Not any use to you in the United States, but here in Britain, specifically Bristol, this fine enterprise is still going strong,and with a huge selection of all sorts of cinema, including a reasonable chunk of silents. They even have a postal subscription service !!! http://www.20thcenturyflicks.co.uk/index.php They also combine with local venues for film screenings, have an 11-seater mini-cinema on site....run occasional film lecturing series......and the best film quizzes around. They're a huge part of the Bristol film culture, we're lucky to have them.

Lovely people in charge too....... :)
I could use some digital restoration myself...

Zool

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 11:16 am

Recently came upon a place called CafeDVD. They have monthly membership plans or you can pay-per-rental. They have silents too so, might be worth a look.
"Everybody winds up alone, not just you, everybody. That's the way it is."

http://www.georgeobrien.net

Return to Silent News